/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

old thread: Post your stupid questions that don't deserve its own thread here. Redirect anyone who posts stupid questions or tech support threads outside of the thread here. Try to use google before asking.

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cfYPsJ
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-buddy/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is anyone else using Sup Forums-x(ccd0)?
Since the latest update the hover on flag doesn't show the countries name on Sup Forums and /pol. is anyone else experiencing this?

Would a AA in math complement a programming background?

Will this be enough to help me develop my own hand cipher?

test

Were you testing if you were banned or not?

Hey guys. I've heard a million times loop flow doesn't matter, but, never got a direct answer to it this way. I'm planning to basically do what the set up is here, for a watercooling loop.

The plan is to go: pump/res combo -> QDC ->2 GPU's in parallel -> QDC -> CPU -> 360mm radiator -> 360mm radiator -> pump/res

Would I see a cooling/performance benefit if I went 2 GPU's -> Radiator -> CPU -> radiator, instead? If so, would it be significant or just a degree or two?

no

test2

Is AceStream safe and legit? I keep seeing it being mentioned

test3

Final test

What is the point of all these tests?

How much space does a fresh vanilla Windows 8.1 install take up?

to test

is there a way to get my tab history from chrome? i had 3 windows worth of tabs open but today i opened up a single tab and then closed it, and when i got back on just now there was only the option to open up that single closed tab.
What do i do?

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

im new to VPNs and dont know much about them, but im looking into Mudfish to improve my latency in FF14. how is it? anything in particular i should know?

should just be in your normal browser history

A VPN won't improve your latency, if anything it will make it worse because you're internet has to hop to one more place...

Have a case already and will be buying either an RX480 or GTX1060 near the end of the summer.

No h8, just r8

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cfYPsJ

Look in History if it wasn't in incognito.

And install this for next time:
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-buddy/edacconmaakjimmfgnblocblbcdcpbko

bumping for support

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cfYPsJ
Get the Gtx1060 and that's a sweet PC.
Don't get amd shit unless you like frame skipping

really? ive been hearing a lot of people say its been helping them

What do non-savages use to read .epub or .mobi on PC?

Is it still a bad idea to torrent on modern day SSDs?

would it be more accurate to say it helps with packet loss?

No. Modern SSDs will out live you no matter how much you transfer.
No idea why people would say that. Unless a vpn can provide a shorter route to the game servers than normal but that doesn't even make sense since that's the whole point of routers in the first place; to get to the destination in as short of a route as possible. Try a free VPN you will see what I mean.

What's the best dumbphone?

Lol
Sorry but that sentence doesn't really mean anything
I'm gonna say.. no

my date and time in unity top bar has these huge spaces
>pic related
anyone know how to make it have sane spacing?

Try "Sudo apt-get install gnome"
Log out, and choose gnome as your DE
That will fix everything about what makes Unity awful

please answer.

Gnome is just as bad as Unity nowadays. Ever since GNOME 3 came out and tried to copy it...

unity feels nicer than gnome imo, plus gnome wastes so much fucking space with their title bars

works find for me

Tell that to my drop down terminal

What's better/faster, hdi or hdmi? I fucked up with my monitor and need to buy an adapter to connect it to my gpu.

Thank you. guess something is fucked on my system : /

SDI

thanks, that got some of them. but it's not all of them, just the ones i've been to.

>IntelliJ

My man. Just started using CLion since I found out they offer it free to students now. Beats the hell out of CodeBlocks.

*DVI?

I'd go with HDMI since HDI doesn't exist
Basically HDMI and Display Port are the top two.
Anything else that you'll find on a graphics card is bad

Gome 3 can be run in classic mode for like 4 months now.

how do I use my TV as a monitor over ethernet? I want to stream movies and shit, thought I already have it connected and I can already stream shit, some movies get an error with the player, because I browse the folders with my TV and open the movies with its own player.

So I want to use it as a monitor so I can just use the PC so watch the movie thought on the TV.

Is it posible?

So about a year ago I configured my raspis SSH, now I've forgotten all the details what do I do?

VGA is bad. DVI is interchangeable with HDMI minus the audio. And technically thunderbolt/displayport are good connections if any monitors happened to support them.

Save your tabs/windows with session buddy, it's really useful if chrome or the PC crashes all of a sudden.

Let's assume I'm not connected to the internet. How am I meant to find and learn about commands and functions I don't know about in loonix?

Can I list all the man pages in a certain category, like standard C library functions?

windows?
sumatrapdf
calibre

That was it, dvi not hdi

I suppose Ill go with hdmi or display port because my monitor has speakers built it.

DVI-D yes. Not plain DVI which is analogue like VGA

why would one want to use something like MPD for music? as far as i can tell, it's only useful if you want to have multiple people connected to one stream
so what if i don't care about that? why stream to just myself? it seems like it would be a much better solution to just use a regular application that plays the music...

Price dropped $100 from last time. How does it look now?

Possible? Yes. Easy and cheap? No. They have a wireless hdmi standard, but it tends to be hella expensive. There's something called DLNA, but it's probably what your smart tv was using in the first place, and is more like setting a media player as a library server than outright viewing the contents of your computer. Otherwise you would have to run some kind of vnc server on your computer and have a cheaper computer or pi connected to your tv as a receiver. If you were running a chromebook or android you could mirror to a chromecast, but thats about it.

Would I be able to unbrick my TL-1043ND v2 with a simple USB to TTL converter? I think I pretty much have the instructions memorized after, I'm just wondering if this converter will work?

will do

Nothing like that, just something simple where I can play video files over a lan, ideally using mpc-hc on windows.

Uh, ok, I guess I'll just get a large HDMI since the TV is less than 10 meters, probably 6 meters from my PC. Is just in another room, and I've read some things about DLNA but I was already using that like you said. A friend of mine bought some kind of micro PC that gets plugged to the TV's HDMI.
I'll end using a large HDMI or that micro PC I guess. Thanks user.

Can NOT figure this out
please help

Grafix card was idling at 45 since I got it, then for no reason it jumped to 55 one day, immediately after tuning on.

So I took it apart, gave it a good clean, replaced the paste and pads and put it back together.

Now it idles at 60.
Can't play games because it jumps up to 80, possibly higher.

I've checked the heat sink a million times. It's seated neatly and properly but the temperate just isn't going down.

Any ideas?

So just a NAS

What's the card?
Have you turned any case fans around

Looking for a vpn that works on a raspberry pi and allows port forwarding, I'm hoping to host mumble, a website and a blog but don't want to give out my personal IP address

I want to get an old CRT tv to play old games on. Which brand is most trustworthy?

This thing fucks up my games by stretching the aspect ratio.

t'sa gtx 570
the HD one with the 2 DVI ports on top of each other
was running like a dream before, never went over 65 playing MGSV @1440

haven't done anything to the case

Could someone list me a pcpartpicker of the best build right now at around $600? I don't need any hard drives or a heatsink.

Looking to get a 15 bay case that I'll be using my old 3770k/Extreme3 Gen3 guts in.

I already have 4HDD+1SSD, and I'm in a position where I can get a ton of cheap enterprise drives. Probably going to buy 12-14 just in case, but I'll be using 10 at once.

Now for the 10 drives, what cards should I be looking at to add to the system for the extra sata? It's mainly media that isn't crucial (TV/movies/music/etc) so I was hoping to not go crazy and involve hardware raid.

I have a linux comp, how do I make it into a nas without breaking what I already have in it?

Is there a better place to post this?

Looking for a free screen recorder so that I can play D&D with friends on Skype. I'd like for them to see my screen in a detailed way and section-off part of my screen so that they cannot see my notes. If it is a little laggy on Skype, that's okay. I just want it to come through clear.

TLDR Screen recording software that is not lo-res

How can I host a website without giving out my IP address

I've got Ubuntu installed, and I want to create a bootable usb with windows 7, but I'm struggling.

I've tried 5-6 different pieces of software, as well as using "dd" in terminal. Every time the usb is not recognized in BIOS, and when I look at the usb in Gparted, all space is "unallocated".

Does Skype not have a "Share Desktop" function?

Anyways, maybe try get OBS to broadcast to a Twitch channel

>gtx 570
oh shit no, no no no no no
nope, nope, fucking nope
your card is dying and a potential fire risk, get something else right the fuck now

I'm upgrading my computer and I'm trying to decide if I should go with an I5 or an I7 processor?

I have one of the first gen i7 processors, and it's still pretty great, but my motherboard is showing its age.

Is the extra cash worth it for the newer i7's?

Set up a samba/ftp server

Best GPU under $200 right now?

I did something similar with my friends a few months back. I used OBS to broadcast to Hitbox, since you can set the channel to private.

IT
DEPENDS
ON
WHAT
YOU
ARE
USING
IT
FOR

seriously?

I got it a few weeks ago, it's still under warranty

Try OBS, it has a streaming feature.

not fucking kidding around, where do you think the gpu housefire meme came from, as for cpu housefire meme that started with intel's pentium 4

Does it not have a 4:3 mode?

RX480. No ifs or buts.

Unless you find a sap selling a GTX 980 for cheap because they upgraded to a 1070/80 Goy Edition

used Maxwell nvidia cards as long as the faggot seller didn't use the slow oven bake method to get prolonged lifespan anywhere from a month to a year out of a dying card

>RX480. No ifs or buts.
>buying reference ever
are the aftermarket 4GB cards like Nitro 480 going to be anywhere at $200-250?

It's fine for a GPU to sit at 80 under load. It's probably going to fail soon, but just being that hot isn't a problem for any silicon.

not with a fermi card it isn't safe

Sony Trinitron is the meme TV brand for retro gaming

fair enough
it just pisses me off that it was running so cool before

I just wish I knew why

can we see a pic of your battlestation and pc guts

Yowza, that sure does look nice! I like the webm feature too. What's the highest quality look like?

Could you open some sort of Adobe program and File or Edit on the toolbar for me? I wanna see if they are readable.

some games don't allow dual core processors anymore, but don't some i3s (or all) have hyperthreading? so games are requiring 4 physical cores?

What are some things to do with a server?

How do I stop being scared of programming?

picture it in it's underwear

Fuck, it probably does. I haven't used it in years(until now) and probably old enough to have that mode.

>battery life
>up to 5 hours

LOL, THAT'S LIKE ONE LINE OF CODE