Will 1060FE be a decent buy?

Will 1060FE be a decent buy?

I wanted a blower type card for ~$200/250, but the reference 480 was a pretty big flop, I know it sold like hotcakes but the cooler was shit and the power draw issue is being memed to hell and back.

Will the 1060 FE have a better cooler than the 480? Even with a similar cooler it should run better because it's only 120w, right?

Things I'm looking for in the 1060
>run cooler than 75 degrees in games
>not be massive
>bigger, or more effective, heatsink than the 480
>no power draw issues

What does Sup Forums think? Will the premium they charge for the founders edition have them put in a semi competent cooler for once?

Pic is the abysmal cooler used for the rx480.

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,5.html
guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,11.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MSI Aero.

>not falling for Sup Forumss memes

>Paying for a reference blower cooler that costs more
Don't do this

Looks much nicer than nvidia FE cards, but how's the internals?

I want a blower card, and I want one that isn't a cheap piece of shit.

If the 1060 FE isn't an overheating piece of shit like the reference 480, then I'll gladly pay the premium for it.

I'll never understand why it's so difficult for manufacturers to make a decent blower type cooler. The 480 would have performed closer to a 980 if it had an 8 pin for better power management and a bigger heatsink, which they could have easily fit in. A coppet heatpipe at the very least for fucks sake!

If it comes off that I'm anti AMD, it's because I'm really fucking disappointed with the reference 480 which I was looking forward to buying.

The 480 reference blower isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. I have one running full tilt mining eth when I'm not using the computer, and it stays in the low 70's if I turn the fans up in Wattman. Unless your case has zero airflow, the reference blower works just fine.

Expect there to be a bit of a premium (Early Adopter Tax) until AIB versions hit the market.

>Will the premium they charge for the founders edition have them put in a semi competent cooler for once?

The extra cost of the founders edition means absolutely nothing concerning build quality. It is the same old reference trash as always. The 1080 FE was a power starved overheating piece of shit

The whole premium components meme is just Nvidia lying through its teeth to justify the price markup

Problem with that is, turning up the blower fan gets loud.

I used to have a 5970, which I know is in a whole other class thanks to its massive heat output, but that got loud when I turned the fan up and I'm expecting the same from any blower card.

Some noise is ok, but not jet engine loud.

exactly the same

Well, shit.

Does it carry the same premium? I'm not fussed about looks since once it's in my pc I'll only be opening it up for dusting and shit every once in a while, but if it's the same price I might as well go for the one that looks better to me

Who the fuck buys reference cards?

OP here.

I want a blower cooler, that's usually only reference.

that's not true
asus has one of their own for the 970 i'm sure there's more for other cards offered

EVGA offers blower cards even factory OC'd versions.

>founders edition
>decent buy

no.

Why you want a blower op
SLI?
Or are you simply stupid

Blower is good for preventing the GPU heat from affecting your other components.

A blower GPU can actually reduce the temps on your CPU, motherboard, etc.

Not the OP but I prefer blowers because I have an FT02 case. The mobo rotation makes the air flow move in one direction to work in cooperation with natural heat convection to rise. Non-blowers which dump the hot air in the case works in opposition rather than in cooperation.

I suppose depends on the use
But almost anything other than CPU and gpu temps should be a non factor

Blowers push heat out of the case, if you have a tower heatsink and a large graphics card, that's a lot of heat inside a small enclosed space.

I got a single rad clc to blow the heat out of the case instead and I was amazed at how much gpu temps dropped.

There are some SSDs that overheat and throttle, a blower GPU can actually help with that

Same guy
Hence almost
950 pro actually throttles, I have one but I simply installed some ram heatsinks onto the chips
Fits perfectly and temps are fine

Problem with blowers is that they're usually half assed because not enough people care about them.

If we had an rx480 with a bigger heatsink it would be perfect and 2x 6 pin.
I agree with op about the 480.

Are you stupid?

Maybe it's for a compact PC, where blower style coolers are better

I wish they'd actually put some effort in with the reference cards...

Yeah blowers make more of a difference in ITX systems because the parts are all so close together.

>jet engine loud
The extreme hyperbole loses effect after a while.

so let me get this straight

you want a blower style(WHY?)
the ref 480 was a flop (80c is a flop?)

also you must consider few important things..

a)the driver fix since yesterday already shows 2 c less and +12 %decrease on power draw in general (more balanced not magically gone..)
b) the 1060 doesnt have the peg connector on the pcb....its on the cooler and that limits quite a lot the card...

1060 is almost 100W less power than the 480, 1060 produces way less heat and uses way less power (and is also faster)

ok i know paid shills are on the loose since 480 laucnhed but come on get real for once.....

480 had a max tdp of 150watt and was on 164 watts at the most demanding games..

1060 has a average tdp (because nvidia never measures max) of 120 watts
and you think that magically its going to draw less than that on games heavy as last light or crysis?

Check the benchmarks, even a 1070, which is ridiculously faster than a 480, uses less power than the 480.

The 480 is shit at power efficiency.

Hey there, I'm not biased at all (I own a graphics card) but I'd advise you to always buy Nvidia™, because Nvidia™ runs faster, cooler, and gives more frames and GHz when overclocked. Nvidia™ let's me play games The Way it's Meant to be Played™, and with Nvidia's innovative GameWorks™ development framework powering over 90% of up and coming titles this year, you'd be a fool to even consider a card from an inferior company. I could talk to you about drivers (AMD has none, not one driver) but you're probably already sold by now. Buy any Nvidia™ card at any price point and you will NOT be disappointed!

You are not going to find one for less that 300, MSRP is 249, FE is 300, so you might be able to find a FE for 300 if you are lucky, but for a aftermarket cooler its gonna be 350+, because of nvidias dddumb pricing.

wow such a big difference meanwhile a mere 480 guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,5.html
i guess 5 watts on dx11 is such a big difference lol

now let us consider something else...
why does 480 on dx12 is only 8% behind (and that before the yesterdays update) and costs 150 bucks less? guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,11.html

Why would you want an aftermarket cooler?

>power draw issue

It's been fixed now... it's still a good card, well worth it (for Americans, not Yurocucks), wait for a Sapphire card tbqh

Last I checked, in aus a 970 is still cheaper than a reference 480...
Fuck this stupid country

Lol no

Nvidia's Founder's Editions are never a decent buy