Other urls found in this thread:

linux.die.net/man/1/redshift
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-xubuntu
jonls.dk/redshift/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't worry user.
You'll learn quickly.

>arch

Arch is literally "Reinventing the wheel" - The OS. Don't waste your time by falling for the meme.

install kde.

Try again later when your competent.

>be me
>never ridden a bike during my childhood
>decide to try mountain biking
>go downhill
>both legs broken
>fuck.jpg

what the hell are you talking about? how is installing shit with a package manager "reinventing the wheel"?

arch is to system development what getting a sandwich at subway is to farming

Fucking idiot.

You know how to compile the arch kernel, but you don't even know how to install a new DE? Literally just google it senpai desu senpai

So install xfce4 xfce4-goodies lightdm and Xorg. There are a million guides

Install i3.

type
pacman -S windowmaker windowmaker-extra

Is this a troll? Why i3?

>>knows nothing about Linux
>>decides to install Arch Linux
What did you expect, dipshit?

It doesn't require so much resources, and feels good to me. Maybe is kinda hard at start but I think it has what do you need.

you're* lol typical Arch user

just install Antergos faggot and you won't have anything to worry about.

>be OP
>I'm not me
>I shit you not, I fuck cows under the moonlight
>okay

Arch sucks. Install Gentoo

I recommend you Install Manjaro xfce if your new to Linux. It just werks and is super comfy.

enjoy yer tearing

Arch does two things imo: it lets you piece things together based on preference starting from a clean slate and it gives you bleeding edge releases. If you don't have some autistic preference for a specific DE/WM config and you don't care about having the latest and greatest version of your installed packages, then it really isn't a good choice.

(I use arch as my daily driver.)

Your post literally makes so sense

I had the issue with tearing but its a super easy fix. If you can't figure that out you should stick to windows.

>knows nothing about Linux
>Installs over everything

Correction: you know nothing about computers to be that moronic

>implying you can't fix that

of course you can
just replace the fuckin xfwm4
so why does anyone need xfce again?

>just replace the fuckin xfwm4
Why? It werks
Just install compton

>so why does anyone need xfce again?
Because some people really like it? Why does anyone need your favorite DE? What a retarded question

Compton isn't a WM, retard

It's a composit manager

You will learn or you laptop will be kill. The game has begun my friend.

Because I despise this despise call a mouse.

hdd in my laptop reported imminent failure 2 years ago
should i be worried

You should defragment it daily just to be on the safe side.

I have no job and it's summer so I figured it would give me something to do if I forced myself I to it.

In my defense, I did make everything up and it is forcing me to learn Linux

not even autism lord Stallman himself agrees with how fucking tedious it is to set up Arch

Just get something like Debian or Fedora

Oh yeah, I'm sure that Debian is going to offer stuff over Ubuntu
Not to mention Fedora and their amazing repositories with various packages he is going to need

I'm was going to switch to kubuntu tomorrow, debian is better in your opinion?

From an article I just read apparently Debian is more about free software and is more democratically controlled that appeals to me.

not him but for lightdm you run (sudo if you are not a root user) systemctl enable lightdm.service then you reboot and you should have a login display

(OP)
>be me
>knows nothing about Linux
>decides to install Arch Linux
>installs over everything
>be not retarded
>follow beginners guide
>do the recommended post install reading
>install tiling wm
>comfy as fuck

The only problem here is you OP. You are clearly too retarded for Arch so just go back to what ever piece of shit you came from and leave our community free of your plebian ways.

install Xubuntu like i did and use normie apps like flux, chrome/firefox, spotify, vlc.
at least you'll have a fast and decent os.

good thing he made a typo!!! otherwise you would be BTFO and have nothing to say lol

Don't install ubuntu distros they are going the way of apple install debian they stick to the morals of free software and privacy.

>flux
>proprietary bullshit instead of the superior redshift
>chrome instead of chromium or just firefox/icecat
>music streaming services
please don't do this

>superior redshift
couldn't work redshift to work properly. it only applies some kind of gamma that makes the screen grey instead of red/yellow.
i am on firefox dev edition as you see.
i love spotify.
feels good to be a smart normie.

Install Windows 10, don't waste your time with that basementfag OS called Linux.

>t. Newfriend
Have fun looking online for workarounds to bugs that were fixed upstream 6 months ago yet can't be fixed for distro modified package because reasons. I used to think that Arch is a joke too. Then I installed it.

>smart
>can't even read the redshift manual
>using a streaming service instead of having all of your stuff on your HDD
>being dependent on botnet
here is a link linux.die.net/man/1/redshift if you can't type man redshift

How do you like your cursor disappearing on every wake from suspend?

>"Reinventing the wheel"
the most generic GNU/Linux is reinventing the wheel?, the slackware with pacman is reinventing the weel?
how long have you been using GNU/LInux, a month?

The worst type of people

i know the manual, it just didn't work no matter how i configured it. flux on the other hand just works out of the box after i enter the lat,lon.
feels bad mang. what do? i just chose do nothing on lid close for now. it's not that important though, i never used suspend on ms windows. the cursor comes back sometimes though, and if it doesn't i use the 2.7 article on this webpage. sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-xubuntu

also rate

>configured
you don't configure it, you run it on startup with specified flags either through xfces autostart thingy or xprofile/xinit. sounds like you are lying to me.

i configured it through .config/redshift.conf
why would i fucking lie
jonls.dk/redshift/
used the config manual from here.

switch to ubuntu
literally the only distro that just werks

This bug is caused by xf86-video-intel being shit and ubuntu devs being incompetent fucks. Incidentally this bug was also fixed ages ago on Arch, which just makes this even more of a joke. Find article about xf86-video-intel package on Arch wiki and lookup SNA problems, basically you will have to create config file that will tell your system to use UXA accel method instead fo SNA (which should not be used in general), that will fix the issue. It's pretty easy.

Install manjaro like the rest of the meme machines.

moved the usr folder in the tar.xz, added the line to the /etc/environment, and rebooted. it doesn't work.
welp. thanks anyway.

Download architect Linux and install arch from there.

Optionally (and you really should) install Fedora Workstation first, its a lot better as your first distro.

Ubuntu is better for beginners

>want to get driver for wifi adapter
>turns out the chipset hasnt been updated in 4 years and the install script just doesnt work anymore
>all the online solutions only work with a certain distro

Linux.

>he needs handholding at every step and is incapable of adapting
Are you even employed?

>I don't know how to install a DE
$sudo pacman -S cinnamon lightdm && systemctl enable lightdm -f

wew lad

But who the fuck was recording?

>only work with a certain distro
Wanna know how I know you are full of shit?

>not even autism lord Stallman himself agrees with how fucking tedious it is to set up Arch
That nigger can't even install ANY Linux distro. You picked the wrong example here, bud.

babby

Literally me
I then freaked out and removed GRUB and now everything's broken :^)

>oh shit the OS isn't booting
>better remove the bootloader which is responsible for starting an operating system, that should do it
You can't make this shit up

arch is is a meme. use ubuntu or fedora.

I ended up installing that to just dip my toes in the water.

I don't know if you are still here, either way you fucked up. I'm not sure how managed to but you did. Anyway, open terminal:
sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Copy following into mousepad:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "Intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Save, done. Enjoy spoonfeed.

But I have an i5 6600K? Why would I drop down to an i3?

>dip my toes
Balls deep, or nothing!

I never said that was what my intent was :c

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon a few days before (my first Linux) and I like it. Most things worked instant and I can handle it better than any other Linux. I tried a dozen distros in a VM and Mint Cinnamon is just the best for me as a stupid windows user with no terminal skills.

lol @ all these autists getting mad over someone who can't use arch

>he can't even install ANY Linux distro
:^o

>The creator of GNU can't install the GNU operating system with the Linux kernel added on top of it.
True, Hurd is best.

>knows nothing about linux
>install arch

My first contact with linux was with ubuntu, but after an update my laptop started to freeze quite often.. so I changed to linuxmint mate and it runs smoothly and I even made it look like winxp. I like it.

Fedora is a shittier meme

>installs over everything
>can't even get a desktop interface

Experiece is the ultimate teacher. Your journey has just begun, grasshopper.