/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>Samsung Galaxy J Max goes official with 7-inch display, 4,000mAh battery
gsmarena.com/galaxy_j_max_goes_official_with_7inch_display_4000mah_battery-news-19286.php

>Porting of CM13 to Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge [Exynos] has begun.
forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/cyanogenmod-13-galaxy-s7-edge-exynos-t3414072

>Samsung Galaxy J2 (2016) officially unveiled with Smart Glow notifications
gsmarena.com/galaxy_j2_2016_officially_unveiled_with_quad_core_cpu_smart_glow_notification_feature-news-19282.php

>Meizu MX6 hits AnTuTu, launch confirmed for July 19
gsmarena.com/meizu_mx6_hits_antutu_invitation_confirms_july_19_announcement-news-19285.php

>Sketchy rumor suggests Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 coming soon
gsmarena.com/sketchy_rumor_suggests_xiaomi_redmi_note_4_coming_soon-news-19281.php

>Alleged Xiaomi Mi 5S render leaked, revealing dual camera setup and "3D Touch"
gsmarena.com/alleged_xiaomi_mi_5s_render_leaks_reveals_dual_camera_setup-news-19279.php

>LeEco phones will make it to the US market within 90 days
gizchina.com/2016/07/08/leeco-phones-usa/

Other urls found in this thread:

oppomart.com/zuk-z2.html
roms.gov/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hi

Please link all icucks to image related.

I'm about to purchase my first Android smartphone. Been using a Lumia 520 so far. Dropped that shit quite a few times and it never broke. I liked it, but there's an increasing list of apps I'd like to use and god fucking damnit Pokemon Go just came out and I'm not going out with my tablet.

I'm ready to dump between $125 and $250 on it (500-1000 PLN), but I need to understand what am I paying for. Could you tell me why would I opt for Redmi Note 3 Pro over cheaper solutions? I don't think I need high specs and if there is a more durable alternative in that price range I'm all ears.

I'm open to suggestions, I can't even pick the fucking color for myself. I'd like something that will last for years, I can open that bitch up and replace everything, been building/cleaning/fixing PCs and laptops for quite some time now.

Might help if you specify what you want to use the phone for / what features do you need.

okay, that's the point: I don't know yet. I've been using a brick phone before my roommate handed me down his old nokia, and only then did I realize how handy it is.

I'm sorry for coming out that ignorant, but I don't really comprehend the spectrum of what you can do with your phone. I'd just be glad if it could:

- have a microSD slot, no dual sim needed
- take pictures in moderate quality (just better than my current lumia 520)
- battery for at least one day
- both 5 and 5.5 sizes are acceptable, ill be putting it in a flip cover anyway
- won't break into pieces when dropped from 1m onto soft ground in cover, or tempered glass will secure it
- IPS screen would be nice
- ill be using it to play Pokemon Go, Hearthstone and whatever the new hot shit is
- some lightweight mobile "gaming", no wannabe PSP/3DS performance needed (...though, to be fair, Hearthstone's optimization is laughably bad)
- English or Polish interface, both will do
- preferrably something I can open up and repair by myself after the warranty is over

Are there any other features/questions I should be looking into?

How durable is Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro?

nexus 5x or LG 4g?
is there anything better in this price range

My Z Ultra finally took the biggest hit from my ass and now I'm looking to replace with something from the current gen of Android phones.

I'm currently using my antique HTC Butterfly S as a burner, but the SoT is around 3 hours+, as compared to the 5 hours it had when it first came out.

I've been following up on /spg/ for the past week, and there seems to be a shift in taste when it comes to the S7. I'm an anti-samshit guy, the last phone I had that was Samsung was the S3 and that failed in 6 months. (loose usb port) I know that the Galaxy lineup has been shit, with Touchjizz and whatnot, but Sup Forums has been warming up to the S7 really well. I'm wondering if it really is as what they say.

On the other hand, I travel alot for work, so I'm also looking at chink phones. All the buzz for the RNP3 has got me to look into the new Snapdragon cores.

My knowledge is up to the Krait series only, so I'm still trying to figure out the housefires and the good chips.

TLDR; what phone should I get? S7 is made by samshit but if it's good, well ok

Sup Forums seems to like xiaomi, the note 2 and 3 in particular, though I've never used any.

Remember smartphone batteries don't last nearly as long as old brick phones, so get something with decent battery life.

You probably don't need a Full HD screen on a phone, get a lower resolution screen that'll save you battery and improve performance.

I've been doing my own research, and these are some phones I've been looking into, in the 150-200€ range:

>Moto G 3rd gen (2GB version)
>Xiaomi Note 2 and 3
>Samsung Galaxy J5
>Wileyfox Swift (UK only I believe)

A smartphone these days is pretty much a personal computer without a keyboard and mouse, and Android is pretty much a more closed off Linux distro, so there are very few things you can't do with one.

You might want to root your phone or install a custom ROM on it at some point, look into it.

Should I buy the Moto X Pure or wait to see what the Z will cost?

which flagship on stock rom has the best screen time?

/csg/ won't let anyone edit it. too bad, it's really outdated.

iPhone 6 or Nexus 5x?

I have an iphone 4s and Im thinking I might replace it with a moto g 3 as its $250 CAD
Any reason why I shouldn't? Is there something else I should get instead?

I would smack the shit out of your autistic face if I ever saw you

lel
trips for truth

see Nexus 5 is okay phone but not great, it lacks a microsd slot. Get something with a microsd slot, microsd cards are going to hit $20/128GB soon, you won't want to miss out on that.

bump

How the duck do they want to make cm work on the s7? Not even the s6 has working cm yet.

How are Xperia Z5 Compacts? Seems to be mixed reviews everywhere i look.
Interested in:
Reliability
Battery life
Camera quality

P much same as what this user is asking

5x because muh updates

what's the easiest current-ish smartphone to root? I'm a little spooked about processors committing sudoku if the bootloader is fucked with or something

The speaker on the G4 is shit, I was about to buy one but I tested it at Best Buy.
It's a single mono rear facing speaker.

if you do, for the love of god get the one with 2 gigs RAM

i have one with ONE gig, it's so fucking slow

otherwise, I can recommend the iPhone SE, I got my mom one of them

see

LG G4 all the way, it has a 1440p high res screen, a microsd slot, bigger and removable battery and 3GB of RAM.

Jesus user why did you consider the Nexus 5X at all?

Moto G3 is actually really nice in its 2gb ram / 16gb memory version. My sister is using it and she loves it. Waterproof and shit. But the picture quality in the night is meh, and the screen is not really an IPS.

I think I'll settle for Xiaomi Note 3 Pro just because my thumbs are big and I fucking hate typing on small screens with them.

My friend works part time for samsung and sells a shit tons of J5s. Flashy amoled colors, gotta admit. And removable battery.

Thanks anyway.

>Should I buy the Moto X Pure or wait to see what the Z will cost?

Given Lenovo's history with design/innovation (Yoga tablets, for example) I'd say it's a good idea to wait and see. Z can flop, but if it works, it can be really neat.

Is Nexus a meme?

What is the best budget phone right now and why is Oneplus 3?

is the Iphone SE 250 dollars?

How's the amazon moto g4, it shows for me 150 but are the ads that bad?

The announcement is only 6~ days away, but sadly the unlocked version is a bit gimped from the Jewrizon version and won't be released until the fall.
However, I look forward to the price, and some of the molecularity reminds me of the LG G5 and looks fairly nice as well.

I heard the battery was shit on the moto g4, compared to the g3.

>overpriced
Literally the same price as any other high-end phone, the iPhone SE is cheap as fuck for the performance

>no mSD slot
Ever heard of the cloud? If you care about muh privacy, just get a NAS

>can't torrent on them
You can watch your animes at home

>shit res screen
Does however have high pixel density

>shit camera
That's just a false statement

>shit battery life
See above

>shit mobile OS
Reasonable argument, not very customizable out of the box. Jailbreak is a thing, though

>no native file browser
How awful

>can't use phone as a flash drive
How about you use a fucking flash drive then

>have to use lagtunes to access one
Literally what

>can't share files other than photos/videos over wifi
Literally what

>can't share jack shit over bluetooth
Go back to 2005

>no back button
That's a matter of preference, doesn't make a difference

>shit multi-tasking
Literally the same as Android

>less apps
I know, there's a severe lack of Chinese botnets and shitty labyrinth games in the App Store

>encryption is full of backdoors (see fbi breaking into "encrypted" iphones)
Also not true, at least not anymore. There's a difference between brute-forcing and backdoors

>touchwizz
no

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

>What is the best budget phone right
ZUK Z2 by far.

>United States
>T-mobile
>$100-$150
Don't really care about size. I just want it to be more powerful than my old S3. Any suggestions? Refurbished is fine too.

Qualcomm

Look guys we got a smart one over here. Be careful around him he looks like he takes no shit.

My gf has one. It seems pretty decent. It's got a long list of features that no other Android phone can match.

>budget
>ZUK Z2
>US$439.90
$1000 must be peanuts to you

>gf
>my
jej

cmon guys nobody has anything for me?

It's $299
oppomart.com/zuk-z2.html
Google must be hard for you :^)

>lenovo

Into the trash it goes.

Bruhs.
Is the AMOLED screen of the S7 worth getting that over the G5 with removable battery and better camera?

Alternatively, is there a better option than the G5 for Verizon right now? I'm not seeing it.

>no microsd slot
pretty much

pic mildly related

>no msd slot
into the trash it goes

>limiting yourself to shitty phones because no msd slot

Nexus is the only phone worth having. Everything else is garbage.

>"you don't need thing"
>sour grapes
>"it's good enough"
Thank you ipajeet, 5 rupees have been deposited into your apple positivity account.

Congrats, you made a serious reply to the shittest troll on Sup Forums

Anyone have any experience with the goophone i6? I really really want to get it to troll everyone I meet. especially millennials I work with. From what I read the v6 is a really good octa core.

The only thing I cant tell for sure is 3g compatibility with t-mobile.

>y-you don't need this
>lol who uses this in the current year
>it's good enough as it is
>"opinions"

3/10 for making me reply you icuck.

>>limiting yourself to shitty phones because no msd slot
I don't think you understand how crucially important this is. We still can't upload and download 256GB worth of stuff 24/7 everywhere we go at 1Gbps to the cloud for a 1 time payment of $200.

You let us know when that happens and we'll consider phones without a microsd slot.

Crucial indeed

Whats a good site to get roms?

Sup Forums

>using anything but amoled
top kek

roms.gov/

XDA what do you think?
It's sad though that recently there are way too many idiots, pajeets and other 3rd world "people" asking the most retarded question everywhere, all in broken english of course.

>hurr you dont have a floppy disk reader?
>durr sour grapes

The only sour grapes here is you ipajeet. Microsd cards have 90MB/s and 256GB of storage.

How important is it to find the exact model root file?
I can't seem to find my exact model root anywhere.

MicroSD support in newer version of Android is so neutered, it's not even worth having.

Post your phone and it's model.

Too bad you are too poor to buy one.

How so? You put apps in the internal storage and movies, tv shows, music, usb storage in the microsd slot right? On top of this any phone with a SDXC micro sd slot is REQUIRED to accept up to 2TB microsd cards.

Actually already bought it, just waiting for it in the mail.

Galaxy Grand Prime SM-G530
Bootloader G530HXXU2BPC2
Android 5.0.2

I'm sure you did, pajeet. Does it work on your galaxy J1?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Not him but the J1 has an SDXC msd slot so that card would work with this phone with 0 problems. You should have used an Android phone that doesn't support SDXC cards like the 2010 ZTE Blade instead.

Yes, I know. ''''''''Enjoy''''''''' your new '''''''''sd card'''''''''' pajeet

I own an iPhone you dumbass. I was just pointing out how retarded your insult was. Christ you make us all look like uninformed dipshits.

Bump

But it says that it is for the exynos version.

What insult, pajeet? I was just asking if it works on your phone. If it does, fine. No need to get defensive.

I'm an iPhone user, I'm your side you dumbass.

why are you mad though

Yeah I can't find anything that seems to be up to date, should I just try oneclickroot or would that only fuck me?

>the salt everytime this image is posted

Umi touch or vernee Thor? Which One is better? Is there other phone in the 100-120€ range with good battery, decent camera, LTE B20 (800MHz) and a not so shitty user experience?

It's because it's a microcosm of how shitty and infested Sup Forums is with 19 year old neet faggots

How come I'm flashing twrp but recovery mode still shows the default android one?

so i get how these new microSD cards are a big deal, but fuck man, i paid that much for my G4. holy shit.

Is a high DPI overrated in a phone? Some on Sup Forums are saying DPI=snake oil.

Because you're doing it wrong.

K6000 Pro.

Only applecucks would say that.

What am I doing wrong

>iPhone
>taking side

iCuck

GSM900GSM1800FDD-LTE 1800WCDMA850WCDMAGSM1900FDD-LTE 2600WCDMA2100FDD-LTE 2100CDMA2000GSM850CDMA

Which one of these spectrums will get me 4g on t-mobile in the US. i cant believe this fucking shit so hard to understand.

1080p should be the feasibly highest
But they're all going higher since vr is the hip new meme know
Sony seems the only sane manufacturer in this regard.

The price will go down soon. It's $230 right now because of how new this amount of storage is and the blistering fast V-NAND it uses. I can see it dropping to $160 on black friday. Maybe ~$120 by 2017 as more Micro SD manufacturers make 256GB variants of their own.

Xth reminder for Asus Zenfone 3 to kill all smartphones

>purposely beat the shit out of my v10 to prove a point and shill to friends.
>Never breaks
>Drop it on grass
>Screen shatters (But in such a good way I dont notice any of it.

This right here is a good reason to kill myself. I threw this bitch at a fucking brick wall ffs

Now Im getting an oppal blue one to do it all over again

You have literally have autism don't you?