Why doesn't anyone create a FOSS alternative to Photoshop?

Why doesn't anyone create a FOSS alternative to Photoshop?

Gimp

They tried.

gimp is ok for photo editing but actual shit for painting
youll have to get Krita or Mypaint

That's not an alternative, that's a bad excuse.

Krita is alright, even though it's kde

I wait for you to make one OP, don't worry I'll make the logo

>I'll make the logo

With what?

/thread so soon.
GIMP can do tons of things and I think Krita can do the rest. If the buttons don't have exactly the same icons as Photoshop it doesn't mean they won't do anything. You have to learn your new program if you start using a different one.

It's a alternative you autist. Want a better alternative go program one.

inkscape hopefully. logos need to be scalable.

That's why he's waiting for OP

Why nobody does a skin replica of Photoshop, it's because of copyright?

It's not an alternative.

Uh, because people get paid to create Photoshop. Any FOSS alternative would just fucking suck. Why don't they make FOSS tax software? You know how much CPA firms pay companies for this shit? Billions a year. And hundreds of millions to do something the government allows for free: e-filing. It's because people get paid.

It sucks, but it's true.

What are you personally trying to do that you cannot do in GIMP? I want to know its limits for stone-cold professionals like yourself.

What is krita

A drawing program, not a photo manipulation and editing one.

Serious question, is there anyone on Sup Forums who actually pays monthly for PS:CC?

They tried and failed.

I pay 0$ for my ChingLiu copy :^)

I wish there was more humor like this on Sup Forums

Because it's an enterprise software. And nobody at enterprise sector gives a shit for as long as it works and does the job.

Is Inkscape good, Sup Forums?

Does Photoshop run decently in wine on Debian? Ive got a SSD and 16gb ram

This. Krita is bae

Krita is really good for painting raster pictures from scratch. Inkscape is really good for making vector graphics from scratch. They are better than PS in their narrow niches, but PS is much more versatile.

>Using a non-free crack on non-free software running on a non-free OS
Glad to see there are more sane people on Sup Forums

>Why don't they make FOSS tax software?
They do. If you looked for some before posting, you'd find them. You'd also probably find some paid FOSS solutions, too.

>t. "desginer"

Then please tell me a free open-source crack for my proprietary program

To be fair, I don't know a single person who recommends Gimp as a viable alternative and has used Photoshop, and I don't know anyone who's used Photoshop who recommends Gimp.

You know gimp is not a good alternative when people prefer using wine to run photoshop.

>repeats same clause twice
uhhhh ok lad. i dont speak designer.

I'm not a professional graphics designer so my opinion is worth shit. But I've used Photoshop for years and have now used GIMP for years. While GIMP has many UI annoyances on Windows (thanks god awful GTK file picker). I can get the same things done in GIMP as on Photoshop. I much prefer GIMP simply because Adobe software installs so much fucking bloat everywhere. GIMP is just fine basically.

>paid FOSS solutions
How does that work? What's to stop someone from buying it and then letting anyone download it for free?

To properly compete with photoshop you would also need FOSS alternatives to the rest of creative suite. You can achieve very efficient workflows between abode software because they are designed to work together smoothly. It may not matter that much for individual users but it is important for businesses. That and the technical support you get.

Adobe have essentially built a walled garden which contains almost everything, so most users don't need to go out.

>How does that work?
Simple, people pay the developers for the hard work of making it, not the trivial work of right-click, select "burn to disk."
>What's to stop someone from buying it and then letting anyone download it for free?
Nothing. You can't download people's hard work for free.

for fuck's sake I need help with 2 things in Krita

1) expand canvas to fit all layers, same as "show all images" in PS
2) paste into selection, I can't fucking find the option

GIMP is literal garbage

There's no point, it has too much market penetration at this point, everyone in the industry either uses PS + everything else Adobe or uses Sketch. At enterprise level it makes no sense to force designers to change their workflow for the sake of cheaper software licences, my boss pays £50 a month for the entire creative cloud, at enterprise level it's way cheaper to provide me with the tools I'm used to as the work will get done quicker and not require training.

this desu.

Patents are an actual thing and Adobe own pretty much every single good one.

>literal
I'll have you know I don't like this bait. Go think of some new ones.

More like GIMP'd amirite?

And why are all sane photoshop alternatives Proprietary? Often OS X-restricted too.

>You can't download people's hard work for free.

>what is torrenting

Because the makers and users are both faggots.

>literal copy and paste
>hard work

except that wasn't the same clause twice

But honestly, what's Gimp lacking that makes you go back to Photoshop?

There are a lot of reason why i can't works with FOSS alternative.

>No better image editing software
>No better video editing software
>No better video live mixing with camera and mass video source input software.

I wasn't saying piracy is hard work, faggot.

>Someone spends time and effort to make a program
>someone cracks it and shares it for free
Literally proves you can get peoples hard work for free.

It's not making me switch back, but I do wish GIMP had an alternative tool to magic eraser.

DOn't really have a dog in this fight because I have done graphics about 3 times in my life (programmer) but from the barest fucking experience I have, a decent GUI. Every time I have seen Photoshop and its interface, it makes me want to get good at it. GIMP makes me want to put on a leather mask and offer up my ass to a nigger.

You get the programs they made with that hard work for free, not the hard work itself. Since that work is what you've already been paid for by your boss, it's already been used up and can no longer be copied.

If I wanted your hard work for something else, I'd have to pay you for it. I can't just right-click and copy that, so you charge for that.

>I do wish GIMP had an alternative tool to magic eraser.

Since GIMP is open source, program one if you really want one.

No shit man. You could program another image manipulation program altogether with that logic. The problem is, I don't want to.

>implying everyone who makes programs works for someone else

The money people are paid with comes from the sales of the products they make. Literally meaning their hard work pays them.

>The problem is, I don't want to

"Even though I could solve my own issue, I don't want to."
What's the point in even bitching about it then?

>Anyone paying for Photoshop
>Graphic designers programming
Seems like a pressing need

Because I want someone else that likes contributing and programming to do it.

>The money people are paid with comes from the sales of the products they make.
In every case? There's no money to be gained from just using the program, only selling it?

>do it for free

That's the point.

Welcome to Sup Forums, newfriend. Enjoying your summer holidays?

>doesn't know the we'll make the logo meme is one of the self-deprecating jokes of Sup Forums

>I want this feature added
>But I'm not going to contribute at all to it

Well, that's where the problem is.

That's le joke, redditfriend

Can't put it on your resume

I didn't even request the feature to begin with, just said I wish it had it. Stop crying about nothing.

It depends on what you want to do and how much power do you need.
There are a lot of decent audio players on GNU/Linux but I still run foobar in Wine because none of the native programs do mass tagging / conversion / library management nearly as well.

>muh unix philosophy.

Krita is very well fit to create and edit meme pictures and image macros so that's all anyone on this website needs.

Kill yourself

>t. fucktard

People who work with Photoshop dont have the time to tinker around with a Linux system

Do people really think that programmers who make FOSS don't get paid? Any decently large FOSS project is done by a corporation.

But still if Adobe would release the CC on Linux many enterprises would switch because it's cheaper. But it looks like Apple pays Adobe for not releasing the CC on Linux.

Gimp.
The pepper is actually quite green.

Does Apple also pay Adobe to make photoshop to run like shit on Windows? Because it really does.

Maybe. Maybe they just optimize it for MacOS more.
But porting from one Unix-like OS to another is literary just recompiling.

But if it's open source, how do they enforce that? Does it still qualify as "open source" if you have to purchase the product to get the source code? That's usually classified as "source available", not open-source.

And even if it is open-source, if it comes with a license limiting non-commercial use of the software, it's not "free software".

Do you pay to use the software, even after you've bought it? If not, how do you think developers can make money from users "just using the program"?

So where does the GNU project get the money to pay its programmers?

>how do you think developers can make money from users "just using the programs"?
Guy owns store. Guy wants special cash register software.

Guy pays developer to make special cash register software. Developer is satisfied.

Guy's employees sell things using the cash register software. Guy is satisfied.

Are you still confused about something?

So after "Guy pays developer", how does developer keep making money off that software? Does the guy have to pay a monthly charge to keep using the software?

There is nothing Photoshop requires from the operating system that would make a significant difference. They just don't know how to program.

>press /
>type gimpshop
>0 results

Guys.

>after "Guy pays developer"
Developer is satisfied. If he wasn't, he should have asked for more.

If the money from that one program isn't enough to support his life, he should make more programs, not more copies of the same program.

The only complaing I have about photoshop is the fucking laggy mouse that keeps happening. GIMP icons are fucking 2006 tier.

paint.net just got updated to 4.0.10

its fuckin terrible, if you have only used photoshop to do graphics for a long time and switch to gimp, you will want to kill yourself

because adobe pays their engineers to go into gimp source repos and FUCK EVERYTHING UP because it's just cheaper

freetards, being naive and socially retarded, don't do any proper COINTELPRO

not enough features on paint.net

no lag here on win10, what is everyone complaining about

>not enough features on paint.net
Has plugin support. Even allows you to add new filetypes.

>enter the site to check out what it is from my phone
>uuhhh sorry but our program doesnt support mobile devices, so please get the fuck out of this website!

What kind of douchebag fucking dev made this?

Okay, but you were saying that the developer somehow gains money from people "using" his software, even after they've bought it.

Paint.net lack of Photoshop Action feature.
Basically its built in macro for photoshop, useful for working with massive numbers of files at the same time.
Scriptlab plugin work similar to this but its very limited and doesn't work like macros.

I always found Adobe / Macromedia Fireworks a lot better than photoshop. Why the fuck did they discontinue it?

Now I just use GIMP, Inkscape and such.

Because you can just use WINE, senpai

Who gives a fuck, either way you aren't going to open-source your art

You can use CMYK color profiles in gimp.