Are audio cards a gimmick?

Are audio cards a gimmick?

What's os amazing about pluggng them into your motherboard instead of a $50 audio card.

Do they drown out white noise? Or is it just another thing for autist on Sup Forums to boast about.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s03bIp14rlKw
youtu.be/zAmIkB7VCrw?t=52s
trustedreviews.com/Speed-Link-Medusa-5-1-Surround-Headset-review
techreport.com/review/19997/asus-xonar-dg-and-xense-sound-cards/7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Are audio cards a gimmick?
Yes, they've been a gimmick for decades now. There's not discernible difference in quality from onboard audio.
>Do they drown out white noise?
Eh?

I only use one because my motherboard can't into 5.1
Other than that, no real reason

Also are DACs a meme? Silver II lowlife here.
>inb4

You realize there's already a DAC on your motherboard, right?

Better audio output. Most on board audio is mediocre or garbage. Probably could get better audio quality out of your smartphone's headphone output

My microphone has a lot of white noise in the background, sounds like my nose is blocked.

thought audio card would fix it up by delivering more volts

You have to get a better microphone, preferably a USB one

no no no pajeet. I am anti-USB with Audio products

How is the Blue Snowball for getting fragged by silvers?

If you need high quality inputs for mics/instruments, you want an external sound interface. Otherwise, it's a meme.

so like is one of those $6 sabre things good

Not OP but I need/want native DOS drivers, any USB sound card/dac with DOS drivers?

>I need/want native DOS drivers

WHY

old games, unless you can find me AC97 drivers for DOS because I been looking for a very long time.

>old games

What's wrong with using DOS Box? Some versions even allow you to use Roland MT32 roms for that sweet sweet MIDI gloriousness.

Depends. Most high end modern gaymer boards have very decent onboard audio with proper isolation, DACs and op-amps. The Asus Z170 board I bought recently drives my headphones (just a pair of MDR-7506s) a lot better than the Z87 MSI board it replaced, since it has a sense amp that detects impedance.

Before the past couple of years oboard audio was pretty bleak though. The AM3 Gigabyte board I had picked up every fucking bit of electrical noise there was to pick up. Overclocking my CPU via the multiplier resulted in a ton more noise, yet for some reason overclocking via the base clock instead eliminated it.

The only reason for an external DAC is if your onboard audio's outputs are noisy.

Dosbox is ok and it doesn't work with all games, you're lucky to have the majority run well. The true benefit is like you said the sound is much better on DOSBOX, at least on my machine games are glitchy on dosbox. Got a x220 recently and been looking at sound drivers for DOS, not really counting on finding them but it would be nice.,

Well, you're shit out of luck because nobody makes DOS drivers for modern soundcards.

Yeah I can see that lol, you shouldn't underestimate the lengths some people will go to get some things working, so I shall keep the faith brother.

my x220 came with a japanese keyboard. you think i can get away with calling it a chinkpad? :D

I use one because my onboard has lots of noise. I get zero noise with my soundcard.

whats the mobo

You have no idea how much I love you for not calling them a meme.

i thought about it. lol

>Memebusters 3

My internal Fatal1ty creative sound blaster is nice but the mic pics up a lot of noise making recording fidelity terribly unprofessional.
Get a decent external if you want a good signal/noise ratio

Maybe your mic is shit

How do people even think of this shit?

Dancing down 4th Avenue? Fuck me.

do you think a USB Audio Adapter would fix this.

vocaroo.com/i/s03bIp14rlKw

you might wanna turn down your sounds btw

GHOST ALIENS

(You) here. Jesus, that's loud.

Did you boost the volume or is that what you hear over your speakers?

Realtek: crappy hardware, good drivers
ADI Soundmax: good hardware, outdated drivers
IDT: Mediocre HW and outdated drivers
VIA: no idea what the HW is like, but there are no updated drivers
Intel: good HW, no driver updates
C-media: usually bad hardware but working drivers

I don't hear that through my speakers, that's what other people hear while i speak.

Mic audio is on 100% input volume.

A shit one, yes.

Yeah, an external sound card will fix that.

Although, what mic do you use? Do you know if your mic is good?

>

Have you looked into the VDMSound project? It's a DOS soundcard emulator for Windows. Works nice for those DOS games that will run in windows cmd.

Just use PCem

Zalman MC-1

I watched a review of a guy using it and he had no background noise. He had it plugged into an audio card.

i mean, he had a USB adapter

>There's not discernible difference in quality from onboard audio.

>GET OUT OF MY BOARD GHOST!

There are different quality audio chips which are used on mainboards. But most of them are darn good nowadays, for example many boards come with a Realtek ALC892 and the specs should be sufficient for almost all application fields.
The more expensive boards come with a ALC1150. Looks at the specs, they are just insane, what should a dedicated sound car do better?

My Gigabyte z170x gaming GT has 2 x TI Burr Brown OPA2134 operational amplifiers and Creative Sound Core 3D processor, no ALC series with USB DAC-UP.

youtu.be/zAmIkB7VCrw?t=52s

Who is this semen demon?

No, OP

I've bought a SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 headphones in mid 2000's. Like this one trustedreviews.com/Speed-Link-Medusa-5-1-Surround-Headset-review
I've tried to use them with a built-in mobo sound card. Those sound like shit in 5.1 mode in games. Then I've bought a Creative Audigy 2 card and those worked alright.
Maybe modern mobos have better built-in sound cards but I doubt that because not many people use 5.1/7.1 systems for gaming. Built-in cards usually are ok for playing prerecorded 5.1/7.1 sound.

Specs don't tell you shit about the actual audio quality. For that you need to look at other parameters and onboard sound is always shit there.
techreport.com/review/19997/asus-xonar-dg-and-xense-sound-cards/7

There isn't, you faggot. It's digital, no amount of $1000 sound cards is going to make 1s and 0s sound better.

Many sites perform RightMark analysis during motherboard reviews these days, the results often being fantastic. You're either ignorant as fuck or an audiophile retard if you believe onboard sound is "always shit".

>2010
>ALC892

Get with the fucking times, grandpa. Things have moved on a lot since then.

There hasn't been for about 20 years bub

that bitch triggers me so hard

>audio
>digital

lol its like youre not even 18.

ALC1150 is good.

ALC892 or 887 a shit and a £25 soundcard will improve.

When I was young, one of the selling points of an audio card was the quality of its MIDI playback. I remember making the switch between Windows's preloaded MIDI player and my sound card's MIDI player, playing my favorite video game MIDIs and feeling like I was listening to a live orchestra.

What time frame are we talking here? What you are talking about seems quite odd. I mean for one thing you're talking about Windows in the context of MIDI which was more widely used regarding 90s gaming. And when it comes modern Windows you can literally download soundfonts to change/improve how MIDIs sound, seeing how it's all handled by the OS. I don't see how a soundcard would change things (in windows).