What Really Caused the 480 Power Issues

The truth revealed.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-3U3r5TRQ

Other urls found in this thread:

community.amd.com/thread/202410
youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8037/psa-rx480-and-unpowered-risers-exceeds-75w-atx-spec
community.amd.com/community/support-forums/graphics
community.amd.com/thread/202429
overclock.net/t/1604421/various-amd-rx-480-review-thread/1860#post_25309056
linustechtips.com/main/topic/619402-amd-rx-480-causing-faults-for-pc-gamers-–-pcie-slots-have-died-on-high-end-boards/
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Evaluating-ASUS-GTX-960-Strix
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4rfou0/brand_new_rx_480_just_destroyed_my_motherboard/
bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg15438155#msg15438155
hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwEeCjghUSWhturKvc+Zs4IhT2U8ovgoAHCJ53fISkY5BmWNcLQgVJNbIP4e5jizJ3Jzz6QY0M/oTMy5d4Z+k+zX+nHK09IAVKO1x/jrKzryRSCM7/g==/image.png
techpowerup.com/223981/amd-releases-pci-express-power-draw-fix-we-tested-confirmed-works
pcisig.com/developers/integrators-list
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> truth
> fat shill moaning

kk

He's probably right though.

It wasn't an engineering problem, they knew it had issues, they just rushed it out.

>talks about a problem even AMD has admitted to.
>hes a shill, fucking must be a paid shill totally.

The truth is that the PCI-E specification allows a card to ask for more power, and if the motherboard can handle it, it can decide to let the card draw more than the 75W standard.

no fucking shit, of course they knew it, how is this some revelation for this fat retard?

Tell that to all the people whose motherboards died when they used a 480.

Bullshit, motherboards have no protection against cards like the 480 overdrawing power.

I'd like to see a singe mobo that has died due to the rx480

community.amd.com/thread/202410

Oh, you mean that one person whose claim is shoddy at best?

>one person

youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

Liar. It's in the PCI-E specification.

Every time someone asks for proof, that one link with that one motherboard gets posted. Out of all the cards sold only that one person made a thread. Nice.

>I should clarify. The only motherboards that will likely experience any issues are those with terrible power delivery integration or boards from ~2006 and earlier

So literally the only argument against the card is the power issue that at most affected like 5/n units sold already, and only affected mobos that were actual shit?

It's not, pcie cards are only allowed to draw 75W from the slot.

That's why there's never been a card that draws more than that...until the 480

Yeah no. The motherboard doesn't decide how much power is drawn, it can only shut it down if there are protection circuits present.

And those aren't meant to be triggered in normal use. They are the final solution to short to ground.

More people killing their motherboard with the 480:

forum.ethereum.org/discussion/8037/psa-rx480-and-unpowered-risers-exceeds-75w-atx-spec

There's at least 10+ cases of the 480 killing motherboards and the card just came out. I'll start posting some of them here.

They can limit power draw. Any motherboard that isn't a cheap piece of shit that doesn't follow specifications will do this.

Tons of people having issues with the 480, this card is incredibly unstable: community.amd.com/community/support-forums/graphics

>that at most affected like 5/n units sold already,

It affects every single 480 on sale right now.

There are no aftermarket 480 on the market right now.

Nope, there's not a single motherboard out there that limits power draw on the pcie.

That's why the 480 is such a problem, it runs too much power through the motherboard and destroys it over time.

Killed the audio on his motherboard with the 480: community.amd.com/thread/202429

It has nothing to do with cheapness and you're not saying anything I didn't already say. The protection circuits can kick in while the RX 480 doing its thing, but that's just as fucking bad. How do you like your computer shutting down while playing video games?

> Nope, there's not a single motherboard out there that limits power draw on the pcie.
Stop lying. Every motherboard that isn't a cheap piece of shit does.

If a graphics card taking a couple more watts out of the PCI-E slot will fry your motherboard, you bought a really shitty motherboard.

Nope, there is no motherboard in existence that can deal with the 480 overdrawing power. All of them go over the limit or just shut down completely like said.

>couple of watts
Try 150% of rated power, which is already 300% of original rated power.

Actually what you did is bought a really shitty video card like the 480 that kills motherboards.

It's funny because the guy in the video above used a 980 Ti (huge power draw) and it worked perfectly fine.

Then he put a 480 in the same system and it kept crashing.

see

980Ti draws it from the PCI-E power connectors.

Nice bikeshedding, AMDrone.

Look, you can stop justifying the fact that you're poor and can't afford a motherboard that isn't a complete piece of shit and admit you're wrong.

Killed his motherboard with the 480: overclock.net/t/1604421/various-amd-rx-480-review-thread/1860#post_25309056

>not poor
>buying 480
Pick one.

>tfw 980 ti

My motherboard is great.

I wouldn't want to damage it though with a 480. The problem with the overdraw is it damage your motherboard over time, so you never know when the 480 is going to kill your motherboard. Could be in a day, could be in months.

He's correct..... Thats why I'm waiting for the Sapphire Nitro.

> My motherboard is great.
Yeah, no. It's really not.

This is not true, Nvidia/AMD bios modding on the overclockers net forum have been modding bios to draw more power from the pcie-rail and the pcie-e power connectors and you can draw more than 88watts (although not recommended) from the pcie-rail itself continuously without the pc shutting down, theres no failsafe on the motherboard to prevent a GPU from drawing too much power from the pcie-rail, i believe there were some workstation motherboards that had the setting on the bios and applied it on windows log on but hardware could still bypass the limit.

One doesn't stay not poor by needlessly buying technology.

I'll spend ~3500 on a show saddle before I spend $800 on a video card.

480 is even killing high end motherboards: linustechtips.com/main/topic/619402-amd-rx-480-causing-faults-for-pc-gamers-–-pcie-slots-have-died-on-high-end-boards/

Yup. Tom's even got it up to 200W.

No one gave a shit when the 960 exceeded pci spec. If you have ever overclocked a video card you likely exceeded pci spec. This issue is overblown and an example of fanboyism.
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html

The 960 never exceeded spec.

See: pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Evaluating-ASUS-GTX-960-Strix

The 480 is the only card that goes over the limit, that's why the 480 is killing motherboards

Those are just spikes(what are capacitors for duh) not continuously draw like the 480.

Brand new 480 destroyed motherboard: reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4rfou0/brand_new_rx_480_just_destroyed_my_motherboard/

Mining rig motherboard destroyed by 480: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg15438155#msg15438155

Picture of guy's motherboard destroyed by 480, showing error code that his pcie slot is dead:

hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwEeCjghUSWhturKvc+Zs4IhT2U8ovgoAHCJ53fISkY5BmWNcLQgVJNbIP4e5jizJ3Jzz6QY0M/oTMy5d4Z+k+zX+nHK09IAVKO1x/jrKzryRSCM7/g==/image.png

At least we can agree that this is far more damaging than the 3.5GB meme right? I wonder why Sup Forums give AMD a pass here and yet bitch non-stop about the 970. At least the nVidia card didn't fry your motherboard.

How about you cite it, then.

>guy just speculating and ranting for 11 minutes
Who even watches these videos?

No. You go and do your own research.

You think there weren't a lot of people that give the 970 a pass?

>bullshit the post

HELLO. THIS IS /u/ALKALADUR

I am the author of the reddit thread you have linked to, my reddit username is /u/Alkaladur.

The moderators on reddit have banned from the r/AMD subreddit.

In addition to this, my thread is now longer showing at the top of the subreddit.

Instead a thread that claims the RX480 is not out of spec, and that the PCI-E slots can use 300W is AT THE TOP OF THE SUBREDDIT.

I fucking love it.

Then do it faggot, I have been waiting an hour for it. As we can see you can't find any so fuck off shill

Oh this guy? His board died the day after it was announced and PC perspective said it would degrade your board after time. I guess degrade after time was 24 hours after he found out about it. I call bullshit on this guy.

No. The shitstorm about the 480 is far more tame than the 970.

>asrock
>expecting it to work properly with this much grease applied to it

maybe he will learn to buy a normal brand by now

Besides half of the nvidia cards that drew 85-95 right?

>tfw the 480 is raped by the 3.5GB 970

give it a few weeks of new dx12 releases. the relative performance and driver updated will stomp not only the 970 but also 980

why are people still talking about the "powerdraw pci-e issue"?

IT HAS BEEN FIXED WITH LATEST DRIVER YOU RETARDS

kek

You'd probably spend 60 bux on mobo too, then.

>AMD
>drivers

I have my doubts.

That card can't have 3.5 gb of memory, it's technically impossible. If it didn't have meme link, it'd have either 3 or 6 gb of memory.

>j-just wait..!
You people become a worse meme than 3.5

>BWAAAAAAAAH - the video

The new drivers don't even fix it. It still overdraws on the pcie.

Nope.

480 IS A CURSED NUMBER

THAT'S ALL THERE IS TOO IT

DO NOT TRUST THE NUMBER 480

The 480 is the only card that goes over the pcie spec, that's why the 480 is killing motherboards

You might want to look above at all the cases posted in this thread...the 480 has killed so many motherboards that I hope AMD get sued

It depends a lot on your motherboard how fast the 480 will kill it.

Some motherboards will get killed by the 480 in seconds because they can't handle it. Others the burn takes a while to destroy. That's the worst part, you never know when the 480 is going to make your motherboard stop working.

It's funny how AMD is trying to hide this so bad. The guy posts facts and then his entire post gets deleted. AMD doesn't want people to know that the 480 is killing motherboards.

This guys pic also was deleted from Imgur.

> AMD controls imgur moderation
Get out your tinfoil hats, everyone.

>i read my favorite amd ranting site which confirms dis

except it does not, it lowers relative power drawn to 68 watts on pci-e in metro last light 4k aka worst case unrealistic scenario

You mad!

Pretty much. Your motherboards has to be 10 years old and garbage....otherwise the card works great.

techpowerup.com/223981/amd-releases-pci-express-power-draw-fix-we-tested-confirmed-works

for all those trash poster which are a week behind in their minds

One guy lost and Asus Rampage.

The update already fixed it though.

>The second adjustment is an option inside Radeon Settings, called "Compatibility Mode", kinda vague, and the tooltip doesn't reveal anything else either. Out of the box, the setting defaults to off and should only be employed by people who still run into trouble, even with the adjusted power distribution from the first change, which is always on and has no performance impact. When Compatibility Mode is enabled, it will slightly limit the performance of the GPU, which results in reduced overall power draw.

Isn't on by default. "should only be employed by people who still run into trouble", so after your mobo is fried turn it on. "will slightly limit the performance of the GPU" ahahahaa they just gimped their card so it doesn't exceed spec. This is too good.

>With the Compatibility Mode option enabled, power from the slot goes down to 71 W only, which is perfectly safe, but will cost performance.

BUT WILL COST PERFORMANCE

AMD really fucked up this time and this "fix" is just insulting.

>It only happens because you bought a bad mobo!

If you bought a shitty budget brand like AMD, you probably bought a shitty budget motherboard.

Sup Forums is contrarian as fuck. You should realize that by now.

Yup they are trying to hide the truth.

WEAK

yea they gimped it for the retards which measure their greasy pci-e slots.

saphhirED says that 8pins are overkill

pci-e slots should be able by logic to endure much more than that because why the fuck shouldn't they handle a 80 watt pci-e draw and not a 250 watt housefire bulldozer

revision C
>rushed out

people still dont understand that the problem was that the card wasnt decreasing the voltage after the boost clock was gone...

Raja on Reddit : we pci express 3.0

pcisig.com/developers/integrators-list

ctrl+f 480 -> GeForce GTX 480 :)
ctrf + f GP104 -> NVIDIA GP104 January 15, 2016
PCIe 3.0, 8GT/s x16

no Raja you have no certification

>Reddit
Your fault for thinking free speech exists on that shithole.
Go ahead and post it on any other relevant site, though. People should stop acting like AMD is a special snowflake that dindu nuffin

>should only be employed by people who still run into trouble

What did they mean by this?