What's the point of BSD?
Why should anyone use it?

Other urls found in this thread:

over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspur_K-UX
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_games_bsd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

for the epic memes

Some people want a Unix(like) that isn't GNU or Linux.

why?

Because they prefer to use an actual Unix system?

Do you prefer sex while wearing a condom? Then you're the sort of person who would prefer Linux to actual Unix.

Apple needs a codebase to steal from

>comparing bsd to something bsd users will never experience

BSD isn't UNIX newfag. The only actual UNIX is OS X.

ayyyy

2 shekels have been added to your apple account

I can understand doing that because you want a challenge or a learning experience, but why would you want a Unix system that is not Mac or Linux compatible for a personal computer?

It's developed by empowered women.

>Working software is like condoms
>Desktop environments is like condoms

Doing stuff in CLIs is nice sometimes but sometimes you need to do something else.

NAS4Free

I can understand you wanting to know that because you are curious or partially brain damage, but why would you even care why he wants to do that?

Because I'm interested in technology and I want to understand the interest in FreeBSD in case I might relate to it, or in case there's something about it that I can make fun of.

Are you really that stupid? I'm not shilling faggot. UNIX is a trademark owned by Apple.

are you implying the hambeast is so fat
not even light can escape her gravitational pull?
kek

>UNIX is a trademark owned by Apple

>What's the point of BSD?
People like it so people develop it
>Why should anyone use it?
Because they either want to or have a fitting use case.

There are two kinds of Unix. There's Unix the OS family, and there's UNIX the certification. BSD is the prior, OS X is both. Either means it can be called Unix, the prior is what Unix really is.

Legally, no, it's not Unix. Unix is a trademark name. It's BSD, which stands for Berkley Software Distribution, a distribution of Unix. It is however a unix.

It could be certified as Unix, as could have Linux at one point. Linux basically was offered it for free (1 George Washington dollar) but they failed to take advantage due to typical Linux development drama, and now it is no longer possible due to bullshit like the systemd malware infesting it, and making it very clearly not Unix.

There is one Linux distro with UNIX certification

"BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC."

over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

ZFS is supposedly a great filesystem. I believe netflix uses FreeBSD. I'm going to be setting up a home backup server soon, and I'm going to try freebsd on an old pentium 4 I have lying around.

For ZFS you want 1GB RAM per 1TB storage and it should be ECC RAM

Ahh, thanks for correcting me then! I guess openbsd it is.

Linux mucks up applications by making them too fat, adding unneeded features to the software, when these features already existed as another program done better. It's the difference between philosophies. Unix philosophy means each program on your system does just one thing, and does it well. Each component of the operating system uses other components rather than try to reinvent the wheel over and over. Truly, this style means your system is completely free from crap, and that each program is doing its job better than anything else. A truly light system with nothing more than what is needed is desirable over bloated alternatives, even though software compatibility is sacrificed.

They're autistic and even bigger hipsters than the guys who use Linux

xD

It was a good idea at the time, but copyleft software left it in the dust.
The only reason to use bsd now is if you want to create some software that will be compatable with open source and proprietary software licenses. For example, webm plugins for adobe premier are bsd licensed.

>The only actual UNIX is OS X.
What is AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64

Hows gaming support on BSD?

No, there isn't.
POSIX cert, sure. But not Unix cert.

It runs faster than any other platform, all sony gaming consoles have been on unix for the past 18 years because of this.

Yes there is. K-UX is UNIX 03 certified.

Try nas4free it's freebsd based, and I'm running 4gb ram, 5gb storage no problem

Huh...
That's a surprise.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspur_K-UX

Yes, but what if you need your computer to be more than a particularly resource-efficient Facebook machine?

Then you install the necessary software to do so

BSD is a meme kept alive by trolls who think it's funny to persuade gullible innocents to install broken, useless operating systems.

Because Linux isn't put together well.

ebin

Sounds like gentoo to me

FreeBSD can execute Linux binaries.

The BSD network stack is also better than the Linux stack, and jails are comfy.

Are you the guy from the other thread that took 12 hours to build your computer and still failed?

Must be some other looser.

because the bloat in linux has reached the boiling point and systemd/gnome 3 are literally making me puke

Jails are more than comfy, its epic.
Check out smartos

>so much bloat
>my p3, 128mb ram, 16gb hdd
>can't handle it
kys

Or is it because it's open source, and the license permits them to refrain from disclosing the source code while making money off of it?
Sony can heavily mod it, make their own drivers, their own everything and do whatever they want. Back when they started with the consoles, Linux and BSD were more on par too.

Actually BSD is more like living in a shed instead of a house.

Does BSD have steam. I just wanna play games that are on linux

Maybe through it's Linux compatibility layer out whatever it's called. BSD doesn't have steam directly though

Hammer 2 sounds like it has more potential, and none of Oracle's bullshit.

Officially? Linuxulator

Not in the slightest.

Yup, that's the one. I heard (some?) games work, but I never had any luck... I never put much effort into it either though

>k-ux
>cucks

How did I know that was coming

BSD cucks are actually mactards in disguise. They recommend BSD so they look cool and no one calls them tech illiterate.

No one really uses BSD

I use OpenBSD on multiple computers and have a server that'll be running NetBSD

Sure proved me wrong. Now how can I install simple screenrecorder in OpenBSD?

>check if it's available as a package or port
>if it's then not try compiling it from source

Nothing actually works in BSD, does it? If I have to compile everything I'd just use Gentoo.

But I'd be doing the work with the software rather than looking for BSD compatibility and compilation instructions

>Nothing actually works in BSD, does it
The only software I've had an issue with using in OpenBSD is Opera, and I know it's not popular in the slightest so I wouldn't expect many to have the same issue
>If I have to compile everything I'd just use Gentoo.
You don't.

>Typical BSD-tard that conveniently never uses a software that isn't provided in the small list of packages that BSD will ever provide
>Also has an opinion
hahaha

The fuck is your issue?

Take your hip OS somewhere else, until things actually work and you don't have to port yourself

Eat a dick. I'm discussing technology on a technology board, you shitstain.

Spoken like a true mactard. Either you are a worthless NEET or you are just baiting me

Alpine Linux is nice if you want BSD experience on Linux.

BSD is nice on routers and storage servers. I prefer LXC to jails and Bhyve to KVM.

What else do you expect from contrarian GNU hipsters on this board who are too dumb to use google?

BSD is a direct descendant of V6 from before it became a closed product

The fuck are you calling me a mactard for? And what makes you think I'm baiting? Fucking dumbass.

Good point

Kek did you even see the fucking sticky of this board? GNU is not hip enough here.

what would be examples of suchs applications?

>Unix(like)

Buzz. BSD *IS* Unix.

Also IRIX.

To be quite honest, family, at this point the whole thing is a pointless quibble that only historians are interested in anymore.

Yes, theoretically BSD is UNIX, and Linux isn't.

In the same way that Taiwan is China and the PRC isn't.

Linus refuses to suck UNIX brand's cock so it's Unix like

It is official; Netcraft now confirms: *BSD is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered *BSD community when IDC confirmed that *BSD market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all servers. Coming close on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that *BSD has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. *BSD is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be a Kreskin to predict *BSD's future. The hand writing is on the wall: *BSD faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for *BSD because *BSD is dying. Things are looking very bad for *BSD. As many of us are already aware, *BSD continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

FreeBSD is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. The sudden and unpleasant departures of long time FreeBSD developers Jordan Hubbard and Mike Smith only serve to underscore the point more clearly. There can no longer be any doubt: FreeBSD is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

BSD is pretty rawdog compared to linux, agreed

>decades old copypasta

OpenBSD leader Theo states that there are 7000 users of OpenBSD. How many users of NetBSD are there? Let's see. The number of OpenBSD versus NetBSD posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 NetBSD users. BSD/OS posts on Usenet are about half of the volume of NetBSD posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of BSD/OS. A recent article put FreeBSD at about 80 percent of the *BSD market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 FreeBSD users. This is consistent with the number of FreeBSD Usenet posts.

Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, FreeBSD went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another troubled OS. Now BSDI is also dead, its corpse turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that *BSD has steadily declined in market share. *BSD is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If *BSD is to survive at all it will be among OS dilettante dabblers. *BSD continues to decay. Nothing short of a cockeyed miracle could save *BSD from its fate at this point in time. For all practical purposes, *BSD is dead.

See

>*BSD market share has dropped yet again
One more user died of old age?

Do you mean Stallman?

strange how a dead operating system is 20 years later serving up over 30% of US internet.

>He had to quote the actual reply to deflect his existential crisis
kekkity kek
Nope, Linus is the only one that has control over Linux kernel

Trolling's a lot more entertaining when you're not shit at it, user. Regardless, it's against the rules in every board that isn't Sup Forums.

The kernel is only a small part of what would make it Unix. GNU's Not UNIX.

>M-mommy he said the things that hurt me send him to Sup Forums
Are you crying atm?

Why would anyone use *BSD to GNU/Linux?
>many times poorer hardware support
>many many times poorer software support
>doesn't offer any performance improvements with comparison to GNU/Linux
>cuck license that allows corporations and other jewish acolytes to exploit all and every code
>obscurity makes it a really bad developer platform, not to mention it's much harder to troubleshoot issues
Literally no reason to use *BSD nowadays.

The fuck are you on about?

>it's much harder to troubleshoot issues

ahahaha no.

try and troubleshoot something happening on one of the million modern Linux distros (especially the ones with systemd). try and find support for your OS when it's changing out from under everybody every week.

now try and troubleshoot something on one of the *BSDs (if you ever run into a problem, which is unlikely to happen). the stable and cleaner system architecture in use by the major *BSD platforms makes it a breeze. plus you have much more knowledgeable professionals supporting *BSD, not just some Linux kids.

Is it better than FreeNAS on lower spec systems or something?

I use OpenBSD because the hardware support's better than Linux's for my laptop. Since then I've come to like it.
>cuck license
Oh you weren't looking for a serious answer anyway.

I think so, I don't have much experience with either. But from an afternoons research I decided nas4free was better for me, and I am extremely happy with it so far

Linux binaries sometimes run better on a FreeBSD system. Some games developed for Linux run better on FreeBSD. Source: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_games_bsd

What the hell are you talking about? Many of the popular Linux distros have thousands of testers (i.e. users) and it's virtually impossible to get an obscure error. And how is the *BSD ``stable and cleaner''? It's pretty much the same, just without and features and content.

>hardware support is better
[citation needed]
You literally made that up on the spot.