Small Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036
youtube.com/watch?v=ksN3VMkutQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).
howtogeek.com/214477/how-to-dual-boot-two-or-more-versions-of-windows/
google.com/search?q=metadata stripper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
ncix.com/detail/asrock-h110m-dgs-intel-skylake-1151-e2-122251.htm?affiliateid=7474144
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So cock.li is down, what's a good alternative?

horsefucker.org

What question should I ask?

Just built a computer and my CPU is running hot. It is stock - all fans are running and I just replaced the stock thermal paste with new paste to see if that helped. It didn't

The left picture is what the temp. looks like when idling - very jagged. The right is when it's stress tested with Prime95.

Is my CPU fugged?

How do I meditate? Just sit on my ass thinking about nothing?

>amd
>"CPU is running hot"

How do you actually disable telemetry and automatic updates in win 10 ?
I disabled automatic updates via gpedit.msc and chose notify to download and install but there are more methods which are saying i need to edit registry too is that correct ?
I disabled telemetry same via gpedit.msc, do i need to change registry too for that ?

Are small file size software more lightweight on the CPU?

Is newegg a good online store or is it shit?

can anyonse suggest me a simple voice recording software to quickly troubleshoot my mic?

Not computer related, but whats better for raw and easy horsepower tuneup - carburettors or direct fuel injection?

like vocaroo.com/

How do partitions relate to (re)installing windows?

If I make a seperate partition, and install another windows on it, how will I choose which one it boots from if the bios only sees the drive and nothing else?

You're in way over your head bro. 9/10 you'll fuck up both installs. But you can look up easybcd if you're serious

anyone have those charts where processor benchmarks are shown with x gpu to show off cpu limitations in frame rates?

No, file size has nothing to do with how CPU intensive something will be.

For example this FPS game is less than 100KB big (about the size of a low-res JPG) and is very CPU intensive.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger
pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036

>hol up
prime 95 cooler than idle or you fucked up?

So dual booting with 1 drive is not how you're supposed to do it? I'm just trying to get an intuative understanding of how partitions work in relation to installing windows. When installing, it lets me pick the partition I want to install to. Would the old "reserved by system" partition automatically get overwirtten because there can only be 1 per drive? Or is the boot-information stored somewhere else not visable?

this? youtube.com/watch?v=ksN3VMkutQQ

I'm currently running Windows 8 home. I have a copy of win7 pro laying around I want to use so I can to upgrade to 10 pro. Is the best way to do that installing 7 pro on my pc and then upgrading to 10? Or is there a simpler way?

Google 'how to dual boot' mate. Im pretty sure you can install 2 systems on one partition.

Yes. Your read it right - that flat line in temperature is when Prime95 started running. I'm confused as fuck.

should I buy a proper DP -> mini DP cable or use an adaptor?

also, thinking of buying a 19in monitor, good idea bad idea?

perhaps its an error with reading the censor? try a different software

or even prime 95 just acting fucky on your system
try aida64 or intel burn test and come back

not quite, this is only seeing how the cards perform with a 6700k but I was looking to see how they perform with a 6700k vs 6600k vs 6500 vs 4670k etc

I've been building my own PCs for decades and I still don't know what the point of an expensive motherboard is. I've been using the same microatx motherboard from a 2002 Dell pre-built forever, with top end shit plugged into it. Why should I spend a lot on a motherboard?

>not quite
They also have CPU benchmarks on the channel. youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

I imagine it will ask you for a CD key if you load Windows 10 onto a USB/DVD using their Media Creation Tool (microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Then when it prompts you to enter a CD key, enter your Win7Pro key. I'm not 100% sure though, I haven't tried it myself.

Better onboard audio, overclockability, faster RAM speeds and probably the biggest reason is being able to put multiple graphics cards. But ill stick to micro just like you.

I'M POSTING FROM A CHROMEBOOK THAT I INSTALLED GALLIUMOS ON.
I SEEM TO HAVE SOMEHOW TURNED ON CAPS LOCK, DESPITE THE FACT THAT MY KEYBOARD IS MISSING THE CAPS LOCK KEY ENTIRELY (THERE'S A SEARCH KEY IN ITS PLACE). I DON'T KNOW HOW THE FUCK I MANAGED TO TURN THE GOD DAMN THING ON BUT IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN IT OFF WITHOUT HAVING THE CAPS LOCK KEY.
HELP ME Sup Forums I'M STARTING TO FEEL LIKE MY GRANDMA.

Just tried with Intel Burn - acts the same way. wtf?

Most dual boots are separate partitions on the same physical disk. That part doesn't really matter. But most dual boots have 1 copy of windows and then something else. Windows tends to fight with other windows. It doesn't expect to see another copy. Now if you have 2 different generations and you install the newest one last, you might be able to do it that way. It depends. If it sets up the dual boot for you, you're golden. Otherwise you have to fiddle with the bootloader to get it to list everything. That system partition you mentioned tends to have the boot instructions in it, but you can move them to your c partition using easybcd, then delete the reserved partition. You can also edit those files to give you a choice between 2 os partitions upon boot.

>To enable or disable caps lock on your Chromebook press: alt + search. You can also set the search key function permanently to function as caps lock, ctrl, alt, escape, or even disable it all together. To change the function visit your Chromebook's settings page (chrome://settings) and click Keyboard Settings
I hope this fixes it for you

hmmm
download hwmonitor see if the temps react the same way
if so then something is fucky with the temperature monitor likely instead
You can check that by opening cpu z with a stress test and just see if the power consumption jumps along with the boost clocks etc, which obviously would produce more heat

Someone try to go to :
espn.go.com

when I try I get:
Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

I would say that's the most reliable way to make sure you end up with the right version. After you install windows 7, I would upgrade using the windows 10 install disk microsoft provides, so you don't have to fight with windows 7 to make it update

Works for me

close lol
but instead of max gpu power wanted to see lower tier cards shown for example the 970 vs 480 vs 380 and how those compare in performance with different processors
i've seen the graph before on Sup Forums i should've saved it fuck
i'll try lurking some threads maybe it came up in conversation if noone posts it here

Sorry senpai, good luck with it.

That's so weird. Voltage at idle is 1.424V. Voltage when under 100% load is ~1.18V and results in cooler temperatures.

Why is voltage dropping? Is this something I need to adjust in my bios?

Thanks again for all your help.

So if I simply boot into the windows cd with windows already installed on the drive, and choose a newly created partition on the drive to make a new install on, the old "system reserved" partition will get overwritten, and the old "C drive", will be named something else but still have all the shit in it, exept unbootable?

that is indeed fucky and i've never heard of such an issue before desu
yeah try troubleshooting in bios, maybe it has the boost clock undervolted for some reason or something like that
if nothing helps in bios i'd recommend googling this issue since you've narrowed it down some

I googled it - it seems normal part of the process and it used to prevent the cpu from frying.

I'm still a little worried about cpu temps idling in the 60's. The motherboard (MSI 970A G43) is idle at 57C. This shit is hot as fuck.

howtogeek.com/214477/how-to-dual-boot-two-or-more-versions-of-windows/

Ideally they'll both be bootable. If you're not planning on editing them it doesn't matter, but the boot files could technically be located in any one of the three partitions. I'm guessing the system reserved is going to be overwritten with a boot menu that points to both drives and gives you a choice each boot, unless you move or modify it

cpu temp is fine it won't cause any damage
maybe just poor case airflow but shouldn't do damage
look up acceptable temperatures for your mobo but that should be okay too

In PostgreSQL when creating a trigger procedure, what does the $$ in CREATE FUNCTION somefunc() RETURNS integer AS $$

Do mono speaker devices play both (L+R) tracks at once or just one of the two?

almost found what i was looking for, pretty much this but with more modern mid tier cards.
Can anyone help me out? just found this on some forum

Depends on how you cable them, but if you mean players with built-in speakers, the answer is probably a).

How do I get the Windows Key + C equivalent up in Windows 10?

I used to use it to pull up the large clock when in games, getting ready in the morning etc.

and another image for reference, just looking for a bit more modern mid tier gpu+cpus being compared

oops

Is DX12 worth becoming part of the botnet?
Will a stock I5-2500k bottleneck a GTX 1070? (there's room to OC, couldn't be assed to do it until now tho)

Let's say I just took a photo with my phone and want to upload it with a comment on Sup Forums. Is there any meta data embedded and uploaded ? How can I do this safely ?
( without giving my ip or anything )
thanks..

You were already part of the botnet. Even linux users can't escape the cpu backdoors. Just embrace it and install win10.

google.com/search?q=metadata stripper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sup Forums has stripped EXIF information from jpeg's for some time now

Is it absolutely necessary to reinstall windows after changing all the other hardware?

It has metadata like phone type, location and date / time the picture was taken.
Look into removing EXIF data, then you should be good to go.

no

>open image
>printscreen
>paste in paint
>save as new image

How do I implement "set as background option" when I right click a picture in KDE 5?

>
thanks . this was a really fast answer.
now, I just installed this apk : metadataremover.
This should be enough right ?

Why does everyone say that you can't change hardware if you have an OEM-license of windows 7? Everytime I've done it literally nothing happens. Is it random?

I'm going to install Windows 10. Can someone post the pasta of removing the telemetry and changing the bad settings?

Would it trigger anyone if the two front fans on my PC didn't match?

Whenever I download anything it always saves to the ssd instead of the hdd I want it saved too, it happens with everything, setup applications, applications, images. everything unless it specifically lets me choose where to save it before hand.

Why the fuck does this keep happening? How do I set it up so stuff saves to my hdd and not ssd?

That's something you have to change in your browser settings.

only you

I'm thinking about purchasing a cheap SSD. Should I wait for Prime Day or not?

Should I update to Xubuntu 16.04 yet? I'm on the previous LTS, 14.04.

I just like that by default it has that late-90s minimal GUI feel (successor to gnome 2), combined with more contemporary embellishments like a dock, nice colours. Truly the MemePad of OSs?

best turbo poorfag skymeme motherboard?

Just figured that out.

How about this, how do I switch these to hdd? Currently the 6 folders are the ssd ones but I want them to be the hdd since I have to open the hdd go through multiple folders till I reach where stuffs saved in the hdd which is a pain in the ass.

what country are you from?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with windows 10 so I don't know how to do that.

>right click
>properties
>location

You have to set up a new folder in the location you want it and then point to it in the properties menu.

Canada

Who is this guy, and why does he always have the same face?

fug forgot to mention
looking for microatx/mini itx

Anybody have an up to date version of the mouse guide? Mine is on its last legs and I need to start shopping around for alternatives.

His name is Mr. Stupid Question Man

g502

logicalincrements.com

Also, you may want to empty and backup the folders before you move the location. I can't remember if Windows will mess up if you do it with files in there.

It seems like those gaps in it would be uncomfortable. Are they? It's on my list but I'd like to see alternatives too.
Oh, I didn't know it was on logicalincrements. Thanks.

So I've got a 240gb ssd and I'm kind of confused on what exactly I should save on it and what I should save on my hard drives.

I know that I should install all my programs on it (ideally games also but I don't think it's enough space for my games), but what about the data those programs read?
For example if I install microsoft office on my ssd, do I also need to save all of my files on the ssd for it to be effective or can the files be saved on my hdd?

Audacity

He's the absolutely nothing man. They say he always starts where he began.

Don't get the 502, it's a meme.
The g402 is much better value for the money and it doesn't include tons of meme features like 'adjustable weight' and shit.

Office doesn't care where you save files to
Some programs like to save data in the documents folder or appdata but its on a case by base basis and it doesn't really matter where you install them. You can use symlinks to get around this if you want.

would i get any detriments in getting these cheap mobos?
ncix.com/detail/asrock-h110m-dgs-intel-skylake-1151-e2-122251.htm?affiliateid=7474144

That does look a little better than the 502. I'm using an old G400 so I just want something with the nice side buttons like it, that's comfy for palm grip, and decently precise.

If I want to speed up my compile times (C++ with GCC), should I get a faster CPU or a fast solid state drive (I currently have a hard drive)? I know that hard drive speed is the limiting factor in a lot of things, but I don't know how much stuff is actually written to disk during compilation. I've heard that CPU speed is usually the limiting factor but I have know idea if it's true.

I can only afford one upgrade right now.

Is updating the bios on today's motherboards something that you should do, or is it still kind of spooky and can break shit?

Is there a website/program or something that doesn't require installing an app on your phone, that would let me use my phone number to send an SMS to another phone number?

Is there a way to zone part of a video in H264/H265?

I mean zoning say 20% of the pixels, not zoning whole frames for a time section of the video

is there a script that changes any appearance of "small questions" to "stupid questions" on a website?

I'm not even sure what exactly you're asking but most likely not.

MSI B150M mobs? Asus and Gigabyte have some too, though they may be more expensive. Idk what things are like in Canada.

Don't go H110.