/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ? Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphones-for-iphone/rha-ma750i-noise-isolating-premium-inear-headphone-p-1101038.html
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41haME4X2jL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=FHWYG95SB4X0K3C8G4M7
amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_sim_23_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41vuwIZESZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=FHWYG95SB4X0K3C8G4M7
innerfidelity.com/images/ReadHeathAcousticsMA750.pdf
amazon.de/Sony-MDR-7506-Studio-Kopfhörer-geschlossen/dp/B000AJIF4E
indiegogo.com/projects/ossic-x-immersive-3d-audio-headphones#/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Budget
$20
>Location
California
>Source
iPod
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
Comfy, Apple earbuds suck
>Preferred tonal balance
Idk
>Past headphones
Apple earbuds
I listen to a lot of rock subgenres and some electronic music (house mostly)

So what's all this hype over these Focal headphones?

>Budget
200AUD hard limit
>Location
Melbourne, Australia
>Source
LG G4 and craptop.
IEM
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
Not important to me
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral and it matters to me a lot
>Past headphones
LG Quadbeat 3 that came with my G4 just busted. Convenient stuff like the braided cord and the Android-compatible buttons are nice if I can get it. Honestly I'll just buy quadbeats if nothing fits the criteria I mentioned.

Oh, and built-in microphone is nice too but I prioritize the neutral response over these luxuries.

Piston 3. Beware of knockoffs.

Does the MA750 or i version (with in-line mic) fit within your budget?

Ety HF2

>Budget
$500
>Location
Australia
>Source
fiio e10k
Over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
High
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Portapros.
MA70

hf5? MA750? from minisic

So the dude in the last thread got me thinking, can I use the EQ in MusicBee to mellow out the DT880 (600) when listening to rock music? Like I said, it's literally unbelievably good while listening to classical, jazz, easy listening, and Deadmau5 type EDM, but it's exceptionally harsh listening to rock music (I.e ACDC, GNR, Aerosmith, and even softer rock like the Kinks). Basically what's the ideal EQ setting to mellow out the harsh treble

You need a better EQ than the one MusicBee has. Get Equalizer APO and tone 5-6 kHz down.

Use EQ APO and Peace GUI. DT880 has a peak at 10k rising from 5k according to IF, so reduce there.

>5-6 kHz down
DT 880 not HD800.

Tone down 8-9kHz. This is where the peak is most common on the DT 880.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm relatively new to the whole audiophile setting, and I can't say I'm entirely proficient with EQing shit yet. When you say tone down 8-9kHz, should I do so relative to me perception or is there a set decibel amount I should use?

> mellow sound
Sell the DT880 and get a HD600

Just got these. They sound awesome.

Seems like the better place to ask than sqt. Is it normal for headphones to always sound a bit louder in the right ear for most tracks? It doesn't appear to be my hearing at fault and it happens on multiple devices and headphones.

Yes, that's channel imbalance. It's a QC issue.

I'm afraid that's a viable alternative. Do you have the HD600? Can you compare to the DT880?

Just did a bit of reading on those and I'm pretty keen on the MA750i especially if the microphone works with droid. Thanks all. Is buying online the only option for these in my area or are there outlets here that won't completely screw me for price?

minidisc. minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphones-for-iphone/rha-ma750i-noise-isolating-premium-inear-headphone-p-1101038.html

>Budget
$500 flexible to $50 if worth it
>Location
California
>Source
Desktop PC, Samsung Galaxy s6,
Headphones for desktop use, IEMs for on the go for the phone
>Open or closed
open @desktop, closed @mobile (duh)
>Comfort level
Ears bend outwards instead of flat, causes ears to touch the driver. Was forced to return Ath M50x because ears were forced on a plastic round thing inside the driver which caused MASSIVE irritation.
>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced, slightly higher treble is a plus
>Past headphones
Meze 99 Classics (current, niggabass is through the roof), Dunu Titan 1 (current on the go), Razer Electra, various skullcandy, apple, samsung and cheapo $25 IEMs.

>MA750
>neutral

How would the sound signature of an Extremely Flat Pair of headphones Change between these Two pads

First one: amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41haME4X2jL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=FHWYG95SB4X0K3C8G4M7

Second one: amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_sim_23_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41vuwIZESZL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=FHWYG95SB4X0K3C8G4M7

Pic related Headphone in Question

Not sure user. But those headphones look really old. The Sony ones in post sound good and have good pads, so you don't have to buy new ones ;)) plus they are an upgrade from those dinosaur cans.

HD600 (Unless you want to spring for HD800S or Ether) and ER4PT if not running/moving around a lot.

>Extremely Flat Pair of headphones
kek

Hybrid would introduce some leak some, so less bass, whereas the normal HM5 would boost the bass because it's more sealed. Assuming you have stock pads, from all the images that I see, they seem very thin and HM5 pads are quite large, so some crazy things might happen in the treble like the introduction of peaks.

Well i like the way they sound and i also have A pair of K240s and K701s

Well originally the pads were a bit thicker, after nearly 40 years they tend to wear down and I have Two pairs of them and i bought the normal pads so I was wondering how the hybrid would act in Here's and add from the late 70s early 80s with an original image of them new and also a graph that i assume goes with them also what is that graph from?

You should know better than to trust manufacturer graphs. RHA advertises its things as neutral.

Well other than this Graph it seems to be the mass agreed opinion of this headphone on Head-fi soo maybe theres something to that graph

>Head-fi
>the place that hears a difference between HD598 and HD598SE despite the only difference being the colour scheme
Ok

well all i have to say about that is Well some people are stupid ok but i not able to hear above 16K or below 500Hz cant really form a valid opinion any how soo yeah

>RHA advertises its things as neutral.
Do they now?

That's flat up to 17khz. These guys are amazing.

>That's flat up to 17khz.
Is there something wrong with your eyes? The dip starts somewhere around the 8-9k line.

Oh shit, I meant 7khz.

Bumping my request.

PM3. Lacks some treble extension, though.

Can I ask a silly audio question here?

See, I want sum 5.1 audio for my pc, and I've seen quite the sweet deal on a pioneer 5.1 set (S-HS100) which is getting nice reviews and all.

This set has only a line in to connect stuff into it, now now, I would assume I need a receiver, but I don't have a receiver, so I'm going to ask.

Assuming I connect my 5.1 and 7.1 compliant audio device's audio out with this audio in, will I be set and getting 5.1 surround already or do I really need the receiver?

They are warm/bassy more than neutral. The scale, smoothing and target on the FR graph are silly.

That 5.1 set is likely terrible and your question depends on the connections available for that loudspeaker system. From a quick glance it looks like the subwoofer is an active design so you plug that to a subwoofer out on your receiver or alternatively line level out depending on how are you going to be controlling the volume. Subwoofer out is a better option. As for the toy satellites, they seem to be passive so you need to have a 5 channel receiver/integrated amplifier.

R8:

RMS (Watts) 125
Center 16
Subwoofer (Watts) 45
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 90dB
Frequency Response 40Hz-20KHz
Wood casing

Why does it appear that the DT990 PRO isn't getting all the praise it deserves? Am I missing something with these headphones?

Mids.

That graph is about the SE-300 and not the Monitor 10.

>tiny 10 dB divsions
Never mind the scale and the massive smoothing, they may as well have had kindergartners finger paint the lines for all the applicability it has. Even if it was representative of its sound, the large swings make it very colored.

What about your Titan 1?

Not much in the way of useful spec, but it sounds like a pathetic set of speakers.

I'm trying to get frequency response charts of the MA750 and HF2 but my google-fu is failing me here. I can't find either of them, and headphone.com is doing maintenance. Know where I can grab their response curves?

innerfidelity.com/images/ReadHeathAcousticsMA750.pdf

alright /hpg/ I need your help

I break my headphones fucking constantly. Either the wires get chewed up by my dog or run over by my chair, or the ears get stepped on and broken or the mic turns to pure static.

Help me. Show me the most durable headset in existence.

So what does "the ability to resolve details" mean?

nothing

probably someone trying to describe a lack of driver distortion

>Budget
50-100 eurobucks
>Location
Germany
>Type
any remotely comfy over ear headphones, really I don't care about wether they're open or closed.
I only use them at home, so open ones aren't an issue though.
>Past headphones
Superlux HD668b
these were pretty good for the price, but after a year the cable broke rather close to the headphones and it's unfixable now.
>source
mainboard audio
>tonal balance
neutral, I guess? I don't care for bass.

amazon.de/Sony-MDR-7506-Studio-Kopfhörer-geschlossen/dp/B000AJIF4E

HF series is about the same as the ER-4PT.
Rin Choi has a second opinion of the RHA 750 on his blog. Has measurements of the HF model and old ER-4 as well.

Is there? They seem well made and very linear, but the FR is screwy and the mass is on the high side.

7506 pads are pretty lousy.
I think /hpg/ now recommends the Auray Sheepskins or something as a potential replacement.

Audiophile lingo lacking definition and could probably be interpreted in many ways. I'd say frequency response(the more linear the better), distortion(the lower the better) and noise(the lower the better) but I have a feeling the people making that statement think there's something else to the sound than FR and the nonlinearities.

Opinion on this?
indiegogo.com/projects/ossic-x-immersive-3d-audio-headphones#/

thanks guys, the curled cable is a bonus, since they may prevent another broken cable.

TFW no Stax bro

Seriously interesting but I'm not holding my breath about them being able to calibrate your anatomy accurately and create a working transfer function out of it to model response at the eardrum. The concept is good and they have some interesting ideas like using multiple drivers for beam forming to avoid positional variance and thus allowing much more consistent DSP in higher frequencies.

General opinions on spotify?

I think it's pretty fucking good to be fair, the quality is more than good enough and the selection is WAY better than amazon music for example. It does help that my brother pays for it though ;)

AKG N90Q are supposed to do the same thing, but no one seems to give a shit about them

It's good.

HyperX Cloud, but fucking take care of it.

Placebo.

That middle treble peak looks disturbing.

The middle quality setting is good enough. 160kbps Vorbis is transparent.

Best streaming service I've used. Great selection, streaming to devices works like a dream, good UI and codec quality above transparency.

Price point, looks, lack of marketing as well as the allergic to science audiophile market which generally buys personal audio products of this price point are likely the majority of reasons why those never took off. Even I wouldn't have remembered the name if asked. They went/are completely under the radar.

>>Budget
>$100
>>Location
>New Jersey
>>Source
>Desktop
>>Preferred type of headphone
>In-line mic
>>Open or closed
>Any, ooen preferred
>>Comfort level
>Comfortable please
>>Preferred tonal balance
>More bassy but balanced is neat
>>Past headphones
>Hyperx Cloud ii
>I play a lot of vidya and i need something good. My cloud iis are nice and i just want to know if theres something better out there. Also mic cant be shit tier

stick with the cloud ii

K. The uab dongle ended up failing on me so i bought a y splitter and i actually find the audio quality to be a lot better (there used to be a lot of popping when it got bassy, now theres none) so i guess cloud 1s are probably better but ima stick with them

>Budget
£100
>Location
UK
>Source
PC and LG Nexus 4
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed preferably
>Comfort level
Want them to comfy, will be wearing four hours every day
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral (because I know nothing about this)
>Past headphones
Audio Technika ATH-M30x
Soundmagic E10

MDR-7506.

>Budget
$300 soft cap
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone
>Preferred type
Headphone
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very high
>Preferred tonal balance
Strong bass, but not overpwering
>Past headphones
Shit IEMs

PM-3

I'd prefer to not have to carry around an amp. I travel a lot and I'd like something portable. I can sacrifice quality for portability.

I just put new socks on my SRH440, so far the comfiest pair I've found.

The headband is starting to get worn out though. Any ideas on a DIY replacement or fix ?

Just ordered Sennheiser HD 598. Mistake or no.

Wait until they arrive. Listen to them for two or three days. If you like them, then it wasn't a mistake. If you can't stand them, then maybe you can return them back (Amazon allows this).

PM-3 is portable and easily powered by anything.

Portable amps are retard-meme tier.

what about socks as the headband as well?

I got AT M50s and the sound about the same as my Creative in-ears (which are really good, but cost $20)

help

but generals is frowned upon!

So.. not exactly headphones, but I figure you guys are the best people to ask. Ill follow your format to make it a bit easier.

>Budget
~£50 (-+ £15)

>Location
United Kingdom

>Source
PC

I guess that could work, didn't think about it. Very tiny and long socks. Thanks

av32

We go again

Current earbuds literally broke from all the sweat exercising, guess it's an excuse for a new pair
Can someone recommend me some good wired sweat-proofs?

>Budget
$50
>Location
Amazon.com
>Source
Phone
IEM
>Comfort level
Won't fall out of my ear during exercise, won't break due to sweat
>Music listened to
Initial D, YELLOWLINE, Carpenter Brut
>Past headphones
Apple Earbuds: worst sound I've ever listened to, keep falling out and broke from all the sweat
Tascam TH-02: Great headphone but not for outside use due to it's massive size

>not exactly headphones
Don't listen to the Sony guy, Tascam makes pretty much the same headphone for $20
So IEMs? Soundmagic E10

>mfw we have the same china stand

>So IEMs? Soundmagic E10
meant for

Just bought the beoplay h6 how much did I fuck up Sup Forums

If reviews are to be believed B&O Beoplay H6 fits those requirements!

Mine are coming in the mail on tuesday so I can't actually give my own opinion yet.

It's bretty nice, I use blu tack underneath to keep it locked in place.

What is wrong with that neck. Holy shit the head is attached to the back of the shoulders. The waist is at the belly button and the right hip is larger than the left.

Who draws this shit? Who faps to this shit?

If you haven't been blinded by best girl's beauty then you're clearly a faggot

>can't into basic perspective and foreshortening.

>best girl
>not chie
you best be trollin

Both are excellent. Great taste in this thread.

/hpg/ - Headphone General

>what are HRTFs and target curves

see below... that's the FR of the er-4p, largely regarded as incredibly neutral and transparent.

IEMs are tuned differently than speakers because they null out the effect that outer ear shape has on the response.

okay since amazon said fuck you to me I bought off ebay. Now i hope it friggggggggging works.

>largely regarded as incredibly neutral and transparent.
By who? Most things I've read about Etymotics in general and especially the ER4x IEMs is that they are unbalanced towards the treble end of the spectrum. It leaves them sounding "artificial" and "sparkly."

>Tascam makes pretty much the same headphone for $20
And which ones exactly?

4P is a bit dark if anything. Distinct treble rolloff, slightly midbassy.
4S is still kinda treble recessed. If you really want to push the issue, the hump is reduced, and you could also call it slightly rolled off bass.
4B is actually bright. One the few things I can think of that is bright that doesn't try to offset with boosted bass.

TH-02, senpai
just read the fucking comment

TH-02 is not like V6/7506 at all. TH-02 is a dark sounding headphone with practically linear raw response similar to Mad Dogs whereas the Sonys are very much DF equalized.