/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule
wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tapping.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

16.04.1 release when??

my vpses are still on 14.04, and that's getting long in the tooth

also nth for ubungu

Celeron 700 mhz
64 mb ram
god knows how small hdd
What linux do i use, or is win 95 an option at this point

you could try a minimal installation of debian with tinyWM, but that thing is slow. you might as well buy some used chinkpad for 30 bucks.

I'll paste this from /sqt/

Using KDE I can't get my second monitor to work. It was fine since I installed Debian months ago, then it suddenly broke when I locked it one day.
Works fine on Xfce. xrandr shows the monitor as normal. dmesg gives
[drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID

Why would unlocking my system have caused this? I had locked it previously and it was fine. I was sceptical about the linux breaking for no reason meme, and Debian had been very stable since I installed it until this point. I hadn't done much to rice my desktop but I don't really care, it looked great with KDE and it was quickly becoming my go-to OS for daily computing, with my Windows partition being mostly for games. I'm learning a lot and its actually pretty fun, this is the first major issue and I can't find a workable solution online so far. Wondering if this is an issue with the kernal, with KDE, my display drivers, or what.

please

wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule
> July 2016
> July 21st

win xp...
or just ask someone to give you his computer or something. seriously, people throw good-enough computers in the garbage.

danke user.

guess just a few more days won't be the end of me.

better get ready to move them.

I answered here >unlocking my system
what do you mean?

Whatever happened to OLPC

I have another desktop with an i5 4590 and a thinkpad x220, I'm just doing this for shits and gigs

After having funtoo on my T60 for countless months, I slapped debian on it, but it's horribly slow, atleast with gnome.
Screenfetch shows only 700mb of 3,5 gigs ram used, with firefox open.

My work laptop is an L530 with the same amount of ram ans it runs perfectly. So I'm left with cpu, HDD or gpu acceleration thats slowing shit down. Any guesses?

Oh I see. I just mean locking the screen, or the session, whatever. Equiv. of Windows + L.
I haven't tried the Xfce display management, though I doubt that would work.
Xrandr says the monitor is fine, detects its perfectly. The monitor displays everything perfectly on boot, and shows the login screen as usual, once I login though it turns black. I'm running Jessie, not sure of the exact version nor the kernel. As far as I can guess, its up to date (at least, I've run apt-get update, and upgrade)

Can someone give me a hand with X forwarding? I have a raspi I gotta use for a class but no monitor, so I'm running it headless on my Windows laptop. Which works and is cool, but I need to start doing graphical stuff for my next assignment. Little help?

Missing a whole lotta fonts that a required for a few programs. How can i install them all.
Don't wanna install em one by one.

Using Fedora btw...

"To enable X11 forwarding on the server you need at least the xauth program.

Install xbase-clients on the server (or the package that contains xauth)

Connect to the server with SSH using the following command

ssh -X servername

Run the program"

why the fuck are you asking us, then? just try things, and hope you don't get bored after an hour waiting for the slow as fuck HDD.
btw, you can do some modding with the old machine... try overclocking the CPU (IIRC, those celeron weren't bad at OCing), also buy a CF card and connect it to the IDE port

>gnome
my guess: that's the problem, m8

just try things. try a different external monitor, another program to manage the displays, another kernel...

use SSH? ssh -X IIRC. google it.

I know gnome is quite shit, but it just werks to be honest member of my family

I'm guessing its the gpu acceleration though, as the animations are horrendously slow

Then what? Use Xming or whatever once I have forwarding enabled?

>why the fuck are you asking us, then?
To give me ideas WHILE I'm trying things.
This sort of shit gets me excited, and having more things to try prolongs that excitement, fampai

I don't remember very well, I did something like this some 10+ years ago... but IIRC, the next step is to simply run the app in the remote shell.
come on, man, it's not difficult at all to think or find info about this stuff. jus try it.

yeah, well, I gave you 2 ideas. another one is, check old forums for info on your cpu, might (or might not) give you some suprise

>animations
disable them, why are thy enabled in the first place?

What the hell is he typing on?!

some mech keyboard on a computer with only free software.

I have a question and don't want to make a new thread, but ask /fgl/ because mostly decent and intelligent people.
I'm looking for a password manager wich I have no clue about it.
I'm using Android, Linux and Windows but I'd prefer an Android App, if it's available for Linux and Windows too would it be an extra point.

What I want: Encryption, cloud syncing and reliability and the possibility to save the passwords offline and encrypted and maybe a company server wich is not in the USA because NSA and shit.
What do you guys think? Is it even recommended to use a password manager?

Jesus Christ Stallman

KeepassX for Linux and Windows, one of the compatible apps for Android.
The most important thing is the manager being free software, so that you don't have to port your database if the entity making it goes out of business and it can be forked if the original developers do something stupid.

What's wrong with GPGing a simple text file containing all your passwords?

I'd just like to interject...

ive finaly got Linux working as I want it to(ish).

However, I am pretty sure by doing this I have a lot of packages installed that I simply do not need.

I want to know what would be the best way of uninstalling these unnecessary packages, keeping in mind that I'm not sure which are being used in order for other packages to run.

thanks for the help

Read something about it and I think I'll try Keepass.
If a make a new database file, can I open the same with Linux, Windows and Android?
And is it recommendable to save the file in my Dropbox? Would be silly to copy the files every time I chance something.
Also: Is it true that a password with 4-5 words only in small letters is adequate?
If I think about I don't need to be NSA secure, just want to be safe for some hackers who wants to get in my email account/paypal and other important things. Is this enough? Shouldn't be too complicated.

let me see

You can get a basic description about what a program does by typing, as example whatis wget, more informations you get by man wget

If you think you don't need it, you can try to uninstall it. Your package manager should show/warn you about specific dependencies.

Protip: Don't break your system. Only remove a program when you're 100% sure about what it does and that you don't need it.

Alright, when I'm transferring shit from my phone via microSD, instead of instantly dismounting the microSD when it encounters a corrupted file like it used to, Dolphin locks up for 5 minutes until I kill it or it finally tells me that it can't read the file. Any way I can deal with this?

>Protip: Don't break your system. Only remove a program when you're 100% sure about what it does and that you don't need it.
and for god's sake read what your package manager is removing before accidentally uninstalling your whole DE

Im using bodhi Linux and I cant connect to the internet.

Their wiki says that there should be a icon on the "shelf" (taskbar) but there is not.

It did have the icon while I was on the live boot, however since having the OS fully installed, the option for internet connect seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone help?

You can list all the packages via your package manager and remove whatever ones you don't want, via whatever method your package manager supports. Not hard.

But why would you want to do this? I can see removing a desktop environment if you want a server, etc, but looking for things to remove just for the hell of it is not a productive activity.

Works fines.

how do I make Cinnamon's panel icons reach the very bottom of the screen? As it is, if my mouse is on the bottom I can't actually click on window tiles and the menu

low package count meme

Nothing

>But why would you want to do this? I can see removing a desktop environment if you want a server, etc, but looking for things to remove just for the hell of it is not a productive activity.

I'm using an old laptop and space is a concern to me (250gb). I installed Linux Mint, which apparently comes with alot of unnecessary packages which I don't need.
+ I want to do it now rather than later because I can imagine myself getting alot of packages over time.

>HHKB mech
rms got great taste

You could try not using a FM

>Linux Mint
Jesus christ on the cross, why is everyone installing this crap.

>whatis whatis

Everything turned out better than I expected.

Have a random learning utility buddy.

rndwhatis()
{
:() {
whatis $(shuf -n 1 -e /bin/* /usr/bin/* /usr/local/bin/* \
| sed 's/.*\///' \
) 2>/dev/null \
|| :
}; :
}

Then install Debian. Linux Mint is literally Debian+packages, and you want to minimize packages, right?

I use random.org to make almost every single decision in my life. I would have much rather installed Debian, Arch or Ubuntu.

>has 250gb
>worried about packages taking up space

On my install with slightly less than 800 packages (Arch packaging, which means not much package splitting), only 6,1GB are taken up by files outside of my /home directories. The 100MB you'll free by doing that won't have any impact on your situation whatsoever.

I just realized that it looks like a fork bomb.

Chill bro's. It isn't. : is a shortcut for the function that gets a random command for whatis. If there's no description, || : runs the function again - until it returns something with a description. : ; starts the function (once).

*; :

First time trying linux. Last versin of opensuse with gnome.
Default keyboards are shit. Is there any way to make a romaji input that will switch kana to kanji?

ibus-mozc or ibus-anthy. I use Anthy because I'm too retarded to make Mozc work.

Arch users:
Does your mandb also get a segmentation fault?

sudo mandb --quiet --no-purge
[sudo] password for user:
Segmentation fault

Man-db version: 2.7.5-2

Never mind, it was a problem on my end. A reboot fixed it.

I've been using my thinkpad as an alarm clock for almost a year now. I configured xfce4-timer to play an mp3 recording of an alarm clock. It does a good job of keeping me up because the only way to stop it is to unlock my PC by typing my password, opening the terminal, and typing in killall mpv. Unless I close it, but I have enough discipline not to do that.

Ever since KSysGuard stopped showing my CPU and network graphs, I've been using GNOME's system monitor. Is the rest of GNOME software this good?

>install gnome software
>see for yourself

Could someone please help me figure out what the hell is wrong with my USB drives? Do I need to run some kind of disk check on them? fsck? Or something else? I've never needed to do this on a USB drive before, everything just werked

Now if I have my USB drive inserted at boot up, this crap happens

Looks like they don't get enough power

What's the difference between the Xorg log in

>~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
and
>/var/log/Xorg.0.log

?

According to the libinput settings, tap-to-drag is enabled. How do I use this? What does tap-to-drag do? I followed the explanation on the libinput page[0], but it's not working as mentioned on there. Where can I use tap-to-dragging?

[0]wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/tapping.html

Device: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Kernel: /dev/input/event6
Group: 6
Seat: seat0, default
Size: 58.88x32.50mm
Capabilities: pointer
Tap-to-click: disabled
Tap-and-drag: enabled
Tap drag lock: disabled
Left-handed: disabled
Nat.scrolling: disabled
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration: n/a
Scroll methods: *two-finger edge
Click methods: none
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles: none

Do you know how to test for/fix errors in Linux?

Those errors should have nothing to do with your OS. What kind of fix are you expecting?

Yo hoes. I'm currently using arecord like this arecord -c 2 -f cd -D pulse -t wav out.wav to record audio, is there a way to record directly to opus?

I thought there was something wrong with the filesystem on the USB drives, like I used to get on windows if I took out the drive without safely removing

These errors never happened before, not sure what went wrong in my laptop

The USB device descriptor tells the host what kind of device it is. Your system wouldn't even try to access the filesystem before it would know from the descriptor that it's a mass storage device.

It's probably just not getting enough power to initialize itself. Do you use the external power that came with the drive?

It's just a little flash drive like this one

Do the usual (Check device on different host, check other devices with same host)

>If a make a new database file, can I open the same with Linux, Windows and Android?
yes
>And is it recommendable to save the file in my Dropbox? Would be silly to copy the files every time I chance something.
yes
>Also: Is it true that a password with 4-5 words only in small letters is adequate?
if they're long enough.
>If I think about I don't need to be NSA secure, just want to be safe for some hackers who wants to get in my email account/paypal and other important things. Is this enough? Shouldn't be too complicated.
what? Just use KeePass.

help Sup Forumsuise

>what?
He's probably worrying about the needed strength for the master password.

So this was a strange "fix" but the drives don't do that funky shit at boot-up now

The problem was that I had a battery that had basically died years ago but I left it in the laptop because I didn't want it getting dust inside. I took the battery out and started it up and now it's fine.

arecord -fcd -twav | ffmpeg -i - -c:a libopus -b:a 112k out.opus
(-c2 is superfluous as -fcd sets channels to 2)

Probably prevented to give out enough power via USB.

Slight update, the battery removal was a placebo, the fucked-up drive wasn't even in the laptop whne I tried, the working USB drive was and I mixed them up.

Different fix worked this time though, I tried a different USB port (one that is an E-SATA hybrid port) and it looks okay now.

I think I need a new laptop tbvh. Had this one since 2012 and I think its time is up.

You didn't even try a different port before posting?

I did but even that other one was broken.

I had it connected via an Expresscard USB adapter, but it seems that is broken along with a different port

ty

Maybe a stupid question but could overheating/dust buildup cause this error? Its unusually hot here right now

>page 9

>page 9
>p 9
>plan-9

It's a conspiracy.

This sounds like a horrible idea.

Installing debian. Which DE?

xfce, GNOME, and KDE are all decent.
I like xfce, but it's a little behind.

None, they're all bloated crap. Install Openbox. It's both, beginner friendly and 1337.

If you want thumbnails in your filepicker install KDE.

anyone confirm this? no need to fall for any memes

I don't even know what to do with the patch that gets posted often. I guess I'll have to memorize more than 50000 image filenames so I can get the image I want to post.

A new mission for our infographic tripfag.
Go, go, go!

>not just using your file manager to pick and drop THE MEMES
cmon son

>he needs to keep his file manager open 24/7 for the sole purpose of dropping memes

This is triggering my autism. I don't like file managers and drag/drop management in general. I feel more secure with running a command than feeling the burning panic inside my body thinking about moments when I accidently release the mouse button and some file disappears in the nirvana of my archives.
Nope, nope, nope.

What's the difference between stable and development in the architect linux installer

How to disable the middle click copy paste?

Install Windows.