Where to start [ UBUNTU ] ?

Hey Sup Forums,
I'm installing ubuntu and have little to no idea about how linux commands or anything in linux work.
Where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lpic1-103-1/
kernel.ubuntu.com/git/acelan/linux-stable.git/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
github.com/torvalds/linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You should install a VM of your Linux flavor of choice with the CLI only. Learn how the OS actually works underneath, and then work your way into the GUI side of it.

ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lpic1-103-1/

kernel.ubuntu.com/git/acelan/linux-stable.git/
Get the kernel and memorize everything.

open terminal
type sudo apt-get install gentoo followed by your password

Install it, and use it.
Google when you get a problem.

Learn about the linux filesystem, too. You'll be confused about where files go and where shit you install is unless you do this.

>Ubuntu
It's literally the most popular distro out there, if you run into a problem someone else has already done it before you and has a solution.
You don't need the terminal for much if you only plan to use it as a regular OS.

You don't need any GNU/Linux commands, just point and click. It's Ubuntu, it just werks

Why do you people always make these threads? Are you incapable of thinking for youselves?

download and install windows 10

>Are you incapable of thinking for youselves?
yes, most teenagers are

Did this and it completed successfully, What next?

Pretty much what I'm trying to do. After I'm familiar with Ubuntu, which distro do I jump to?

I actually am looking to learn about Cyber security. I've been a script kiddie ever since sixth grade and now that i've graduated high school and have time before college I wanted to step my game up. Got familiar with basic java, going to learn to code soon too.

I want to learn the commands.

Looking into it.

didnt get you.

>Did this and it completed successfully, What next?
congratulations, you've succesfully installed gentoo. you are now a meme master. next up: your phd in memes

Shit, didn't realize it was a meme.

it doesn't do anything bad, it's just a program. feel free to uninstall it.

but in general, you should never run commands when you don't know what they do.

Usually rm -rf * does wonders

You should probably stop asking Sup Forums for technical advice.

it just worked for me! Very usefull comand to bear in mind my linux-gettting started friend!

>Usually rm -rf * does wonders
it will literally remove erase everything.
> rm = remove, -rf = recursively, and force.
if you are dumb enough to even attempt this without doing a google search, then it would be better for you to go ahead and install windows/whatever and stick to what you know.

I havent tried Unity in ages. It doe slook better. I think I prfer gnome 3 over it

>it will literally remove erase everything.
Pretty sure it just removes everything in your current directory.

One really useful command that you should type into the shell once in a while is "rm -r /".
It clears your ram and makes your system a bit faster.

>linux commands
You mean GNU commands

Read this book:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
greets from

anyone have opinions on the amd drivers on xenial? im thinking of trying out ubuntu

read up on pipe "|" and "&&" and other gnu commands
pressing tab autocompletes paths and some programs when you've typed a bit of them
(I've seen a lot of people miss this and it's horrible watching them type out a long path)
(install zsh or fish for a shell with better autocomplete (fyi your using bash right now) only do this once youve got a hang of bash)
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php < if you need a book
codecademy also has a tutorial on the linux command line
if you have questions otherwise google has answers

man - bring up the manual for cli programs
ls - lists files in that directory
cd - changes directory to path
sudo (as a prefix) - will run any line as super user (admin rights), usually needed for anything windows would prompt you for
(add "!!" to run a command that you previously ran but needed superuser)
sudo apt-get install - downloads a program
sudo apt-get update - updates repos
sudo apt-get upgrade - upgrades all programs installed
nano - opens cli text editor (ctrl+x to save) (add sudo if you're editing from outside of your home directory)
gedit - opens gui text editor (add sudo if you're editing from outside of your home directory)
git clone - downloads a repo from github (just read what your downloading on the github page theres usually install instructions)

that's pretty good to get u started senpai

u w0t m8
github.com/torvalds/linux

sudo su

then

sudo rm -rf/

1. Use your package manager for installing everything. Don't download like windows.
2. If it's not in your repos, find a repo (ubuntu ppa) that has it, don't look to download the package.
Compiling from source, and using git and other methods can be learned later.

> sudo su
then
> sudo rm ...

>After I'm familiar with Ubuntu, which distro do I jump to?
ubuntu mini.iso
if you are still hungry for moar install gentoo

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Thanks, I'm starting with code acadmey now.

Okay.

Oh okay. I get it.

>no idea about how linux commands or anything in linux work
you can use linux without opening terminal

ITT: Retards are falling for troll OP

I would suggest that you read tlcl.
Make small silly projects along the way and learn from there.
Writing a lot of bash scripts can be fun, but you also learn how things work.

Do you think that these mouthbreathers know actually what these commands do? They are windows babbies who just come into these threads to be funny.