/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

old thread: /sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your stupid questions here that don't deserve its own thread. Redirect anons who make questions or tech support threads outside of /sqt/ to here. Make an attempt to use google or any search engine you like before asking your question.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/
amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01H01E4CQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anyone know what's up with this?

will my i5 3550 (without a k) bottleneck a rx 480?

Don't link, just repost the question if nobody has answered yet

Is there an app that notifies me when new episodes of a tv show are released?

reddit

Looking for a good book to read and learn about the Unix kernel. Any recommendations?

Has to be a physical book, because I'll be in places/situations where I'll have no internet

lxde itself has a permissions management service or something, probably

ask /dpt/ too

What's the best way to write this?
#open, close bold text
o="\E[1m"
c="\E[0m"
printf "["$o"a"$c"]["$o"b"$c"]["$o"c"$c"]["$o"d"$c"]["$o"e"$c"]["$o"f"$c"] "$o"("$c"["$o"~"$c"]["$o"#"$c"]["$o"^"$c"]"$o")"$c" ["$o"?"$c"]"

ShellCheck tells me
>^-- SC2059: Don't use variables in the printf format string. Use printf "..%s.." "$foo".
So is better?
printf "[%ba%b][%bb%b][%bc%b][%bd%b][%be%b][%bf%b] %b(%b[%b~%b][%b#%b][%b^%b]%b)%b [%b?%b]" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c" "$o" "$c"
Or perhaps
for i in a b c d e f ' (' '~' '#' ^ ') ' '?'; do
case $i in
(' ('|') ') printf "%b%b%b" "$o" "$i" "$c";;
(* ) printf "[%b%b%b]" "$o" "$i" "$c";;
esac
done
But a case statement inside a for loop sounds like a lot of... wasted energy?
Thoughts? Thanks!

I want to set up a server to act like a Google drive and as a home media server, so I can stream/download files in my home, as well as a few other bits and pieces. I know hardware doesn't have to be modern, but how hard would this sort of thing be to set up? I've read the wiki, and have only been using Xubuntu for a couple of months, but am very poor at networking knowledge at the moment. Can anyone recommend any good guides for this, or even resources to learn about networking?

So, I have the budget of getting a mouse that has a better sensor; I'm thinking of getting the Zowie EC2-A, but should I be getting it off Amazon or Benq directly? Though Benq has it out of stock for some reason while Amazon just re-stocked.

Sorry I think those %b%b%b should be %b%s%b

what the actual fuck

>But a case statement inside a for loop sounds like a lot of... wasted energy?
it isn't, get over it, smart guy. billions of operations per second. think about that for a second. in that second, your cpu could have done one billion things. with a b.

I do not like your attitude I choose not to listen to your advice because of it.

my monitor turns black for a while (and the speakers produce no sound), then, after 2 or 3 seconds, everything goes back to normal. it's a vg248qe. it happens on windows and linux when i use the dvi, but not with the hdmi cable (but to be honest i did not test the hdmi cable long enough). it uses a jack for the sound so i think it's a problem with the monitor, not with the cable / graphics card.
what do?

I'm not sure of what to call this but I saw some people talking about it. how do you bypass the "Pick all images..." back to normal word captcha

scroll up

[Settings]

legacy captcha

Click settings, click under quotes and replying enable legacy captcha.

replace the capacitors in the monitor
loads of youtube tutorials
probably easiest electrician repair possible, after changing a fuse..

Where do I buy a North American IP block??
ARIN is out..?

also shilling this

Why don't keyboards with special inputs like sleep, mail, and volume keys need drivers?

I think those buttons are actually programmed in the BIOS.

So if you had libreboot or something like that, they wouldn't work.

Python babby here

I'm trying to modify one of Zed's scripts to add two numbers, but everything I try ends in stuff like 1+2=12 or 30+5=305.

prompt = '> '

print 'Please enter the first number'
a = raw_input(prompt)

print 'Please enter the second number'
b = raw_input(prompt)

def add(a, b):
print "ADDING %r x %r" % (a, b)
return a + b

sum = add(a, b)

print 'Sum: %r' % (sum)

why the fuck doesn't this work?

Is there a way to deal with high pitch sound that my router's power adapter generates? Other than wrap it in cloth which is probably not a good idea. Or should I just by a cheap chinese one to replace it?

im on arch with openrc, and anytime i set the hostname, whether in /etc/hostname or a script in /etc/openrc/conf.d/hostname, it never keeps my hostname after a reboot
how the fuck do i make this incrediblt basic feature work properly?

raw_input returns a string. So '1' + '2' = '12'

Raw_input return whatever the user typed in string format.
So what you are doing is "appending" string a to string b
try
int(a)+int(b)

You need to cast the return value of raw_input, which returns a string, as an integer.

a = int(raw_input(prompt))

Those a part of a standard keys defined in the standard.

>return a + b
>why the fuck doesn't this work?
you are concatenating two strings, which are returned by raw_input()

try replacing that with
return str(int(a) + int(b))
or simply
return int(a) + int(b)

also don't use the word "sum", it's a built-in function in python.

Thanks dudes

Parse it.
>Dynamic typed languages

Best free software to detect duplicate pictures?

it's called having eyes.

>3k files
rip eyes

thanks, looks like it's more common than i expected
> twf no warranty

The hardest part of it is probably disassembling a monitor without significant damage.

If anyone has done GPU passthrough, how nicely does steam and steam chat play with it? Can I keep steam on linux running at all times and also boot up my windows' steam client without issues? Or is it going to d/c me from the linux client and make a fuss?

What's a good torrent client to use? I just want the old uTorrent without botnet

transmission-qt, deluge, or qbittorrent.

if you're on windows tixati is the best, unless you're on a private tracker that's banned it for being so awesome

Deluge is similar, has good plugins

what's the fastest and easiest way to learn programming?

thanks lads I'll check them out
nah I sometimes download public torrents and don't feel safe with an outdated client

don't actually install tixati I was just shitposting

what's wrong with it?

I want to stop using google images. What are the best booru websites to get anime images?

don't listen to this fool, tixati is great

only thing "wrong" with it is some private trackers have it banned because it can cheat ratios

dan, gel, and derpi if you're into pone

>proprietary software

no wonder it's banned

I'd gladly use transmission on windows if you could show me a build, official or otherwise, that doesn't constantly lock up when adding torrents

Isn't gelbooru proprietary?

sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

It works for me. Have you tried this one yet?

Learn Python the Hard Way

yeah, and for me it routinley freezes for a min. or so when adding new torrents if I've already got a bunch loaded

Just use qbittorrent

I've never had an issue, and I've had around 100~ before. I think you can run transmission-cli on windows through cygwin if you really have that many torrents. Deluge or qbittorrent are also just fine.

After a month my thermal past looks like this, what the fuck is going on. I always put enough.

>installed a FEMP webserver stack on a freenas jail
>have my wordpress website up and running
>working well with no real problems

Meanwhile
>learning python to make little engineering calculators/applications
>they solve equations for stress/moment/shear based on user input of variable values
>I want to host these so that they have a web based front end

Can this be done with the setup I have?

As in, can I have Wordpress link to a web based application in a local directory so that I can use these applications (literally just equation solvers) over the Internet while I'm at work?

You realize that you pull a bunch off it when you yanked the heat sink off right?

When you search for something on google, you scroll all the way down to the bottom. You see that google shows search results relevant to your city.

>How the actual fuck do you stop this?

I've created a google account/email and disabled all their privacy shit, but still this fucko remains.

Anyone got any ideas?

>hurr durr i'm fucking retarded

I remember a couple of years back stuff like this couldn't pinpoint where I was because I live in a backwater mountain shithole. Nowadays though its scary accurate.

>google is botnet

except that all of the alternatives are the equivalent of using google with a vpn.
google is popularly used for a reason.

You can't fucking avoid google though. No matter what site i go on it seems like i'm in their fucking analytics.

Google determines your location with your IP address and various other methods. For once their streetview cars record wifi information when they drive through the streets and your searches give info about your location too. Also when you share your location with your smartphone with the same google account then google knows that too.

Use a proxy or don't use google.

No same shit on the heat sink, dry and cracked with missing spots.

yeah, you can't avoid it, so either don't use the internet or don't be a cyberterrorist.

>not using uMatrix to block Google analytics requests

Clean it off and get a better thermal paste, make sure to apply it properly (dot in the middle or star).

I have a beat up old PC in another room that I use for downloading torrents in case it has a virus. What's the best way to control this PC from the PC I normally use?

nomachine.com

Thinking about it, it might be cool to set up a FTP.
Either that or a LAMP stack where you can stream the movies in your browser or something.

I store the movies on my main computer since it has a lot of storage. This virus testing computer also is used to stream movies from my main computer so I can watch it on a TV. I'm a software engineer so I know there are tons of different ways to do this, though I have never done anything like this before.

I'm using a the Windows homegroup network thing for streaming and file transfers, so I guess LAN.

That's usually the method I use, any recommendations for thermal paste? I currently use Arctic silver 5.

>Software engineer
>Windows

You can totally do that too, however i was more thinking of a private network you could access from other houses, from your laptop and stuff like that.

I want to make a program that crawls Sup Forums threads and archives certain posts. I have some programming experience, but I've never worked with a website API before. What does that entail?

What do I use for 2FA on linux? I use Winauth on Windows, but I don't have a smartphone and I use firefox, which seems to kill every single option available to me on linux.

Python -> beautiful soup

Hey,
What is this in red rectangle and how can I create it, also how can I get rid of bottom bar. dist: Debian 8.5

install unity

anyone?

I have arch on my laptop, but I've been too busy to configure it properly and it needs a clean wipe anyways. Probably should get a new one actually. Also I'm a relatively new software engineer so still a bit inexperienced.

That would be cool, accessing from my laptop.
>FTP
>Private
Is this a thing? I know FTP is pretty much the least secure method out there, though that's not even a big deal. I've never done anything with FTP, you say I can make this private?

I'll probably have the LAN network but setting this up so I can stream to my laptop would also be great. How can I start on this?

Also in terms of controlling my virus computer from my main I will be using nomachine.com then.

ktorrent

google.com/ncr , not really sure if it helps, though

Can I trust Diamond multimedia store to buy a RX480? I dont care for overclocking with this Nitro thing everyone says to wait for and everywhere else is out of stock before I can buy one

How to create this type of image? Merging bunch of jpegs into one?

I was more thinking the LAMP stack. However i'm not too familiar with FTP clients myself, but i assume if you limit it to the download folder and then have a firewall do some filtering so people can't do a brute force or something like that on your server.

mspaint
photoshop
gimp

what the fuck does that link do? Now it says my location is unknown. I thought they disabled ncr.

you can do it in any image manipulation program, even krita and sai, though some are better than others.

Are you european? If so i'd suggest amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01H01E4CQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

If you're murican then i don't really like the look of their website. They might be legit but the site looks old and shady to me.

I just got a 240GB SSD. Should I dual-boot Debian and Windows 10, or only boot Debian and use virtualboxes for Windows applications? I only need Photoshop, but if the difference in a virtualbox isn't that noticeable then I wouldn't need to dual-boot.

(I also play games but I don't mind GPU passthrough)

depends on your hardware. for most standard systems, there would be incredible lag in a virtualbox.

i use sonarr
not only does it track when new episodes come out, it also finds torrents for them and passes it on to my torrent client, then takes them out of the completed folder, renames them and places them neatly with the rest of the files for that show

Thank anons.
Where to find the option to merge in gimp and/or PS? Can you guide me. I'm not on pc right now but will check as soon as possible. Both programs have UI that's kinda overwhelming.

>LAMP stack
I'm not familiar with this so I might be talking nonsense here, but I would rather not use internet browser for streaming. I'm not exactly educated in the subject but my intuition says video streaming on a browser is quite shotty. Ideally I'd like something as similar to the LAN as possible, where I can view the files and open them in a media player.

you have to do it manualy. copy the image with ctrl+c than paste it with ctrl+v and repeat it with the rest of the images