Okay, Sup Forums. I'm a largely tech-illiterate person who wants to try Linux...

Okay, Sup Forums. I'm a largely tech-illiterate person who wants to try Linux. I am largely wanting to switch so that the NSA and Microsoft can't spy on me. What are some good distros (distributions/versions of Linux) I can try?

NSA has backdoors in your hardware unfortunately :(
Sorry op

Xubuntu
Debian
Fedora
OpenSUSE
Arch
Gentoo

Too bad because mainstream like Ubuntu is chasing windows in terms of uploading shit to cloud

There are guides that any retard can follow, just try a couple of them out

There's several linux's you can use.
I wouldn't recommend any version earlier that 3.16 for security reasons.

Such as?

Mint might be up your alley. Yes, they had cracked isos up for download for one day after someone slithered into their Wordpress site, but they've improved security, so the whole cracking thing is now just a meme-tier reason not to use Mint.

OpenSUSE, Korora, *buntu flavor also.

Kubuntu, Ubuntu, possibly Xubuntu, Lubuntu. Anything with "ubuntu" in the name is what you should try for your first time.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

When I was typing out my original post, I thought "maybe I should call it GNU/Linux and not just Linux", but I decided to just go with calling it Linux. The difference is pointless and semantic.

Ubuntu/Mint or anything similar to start. Once you've gotten familiar with how Linux works, then there's always Debian (what Ubuntu is based on) and Arch (rolling release/always up to date). Or Gentoo. Or any of the other options listed on this page. Point is, after familiarizing yourself with what Linux has to offer, you'll probably be able to decide for yourself what works for you and the type of system you want.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Okay.

To call the whole system Linux is technically wrong. There are distros that don't even use Linux as kernel. You wouldn't call them Linux, would you?

Once again, there is no real difference between calling it "Linux" and calling it "GNU/Linux". It is a semantic difference.

It's all about freedom bro. Watch Revolution OS, pretty good movie.

This is the exact shit that turns away people that want to try Linux.

If you really wanted people to try Linux, don't pick on them for just identifying Linux as "Linux". That's a nitpick right there. There are some systems that use Linux but don't use Free software.

Exactly.

I agree but this guy is trying to meme real hard, best to let him fizzle out on his own.

No one spies on you unless you're a pedophile or a terrorist. go on with your life, Linux has a HUGE learning curve.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.

Mods pls kill this thread

Fucking spammers.

>refers to linux kernel
>triggers gnu+copypasta
>brilliant.jpg

I know, right?

Slackware full install
The installation process is just pressing next and if you're having trouble partitioning your drives at the start you can just use a gparted live cd first.
You will literally never need to open a terminal if you do a full install. You'll have everything you need.