Anyone else use Windows Server?

Anyone else use Windows Server?

Why would you? How viable is it to use as a day to day desktop?

no

I use server 2008 on a dell poweredge that I just kinda put out of sight to run game servers on occasion.

Windows Server with Aero wtf?

There's no risk of picking up GWX, for starters. Aside from that, Windows 10 liked to make my first CPU do all te alone, essentially wasting 4 cores. It's almost as if Windows 10 was built from the ground up for dollarama dual core tablets and not desktops with dual Xeons

It takes he work while leaving my other onmaybe two minutes to enable the fancy shit. Less with an ssd

i have. it's a but overkill for home server use. the desktop os versions can easily perform most home server duties.

The fuck

That was supposed to say it takes maybe two minutes to turn the fancy shit on

What if I wanted to use it with an i5 machine or even something lower end? What differences and things does it add?

It might actually run a bit better, since there's no desktop-ish bullshit like superfetch enabled by default. Also in 2008 R2 there's a UNIX subsystem that functions kind of like cygwin

Could I use it just like Windows 7?

You are retarded

That's how I've been using it. Everything works. My drivers work, my vidya works noticeably better than in 10 or desktop 7, and I have yet to see an installer gripe about being run on a server OS.

Thanks mane, is the OS in its self harder to use?

>10 liked to make my first CPU do all te alone, essentially wasting 4 cores.
>tfw no 5 core CPU
Why even live?

It should take you maybe a total of ten minutes to convert it, assuming you know how to read and you're at least minimally skilled with technology. Which includes turning on features and enabling services. After that, you'd use it exactly the same way.

I meet those requirements lol, sorry to ask so many fucking questions but I haven't had the chance to talk to someone that uses this OS.
Really I want it to look similar to this.

5 core CPU and 14 GB RAM

I have two quad cores smartass.

All you have to do is enable "Desktop Experience" and enable the "themes" service

Awesome easy enough. Now how can I run this for free? How can I activate it?

Just torrent it and use any crack you'd use on normal Win7. I used Daz's Windows loader and it worked fine. And make sure you torrent 2008 R2. Server 2008 was based on Vista and not 7.

Thanks bro. How about Windows server 2012?

Based on 8. 2012 R2 (I think) is equivalent to 8.1. Also if I recall those versions don't have the store and all the other WinRT bloat that goes with it

I would prefer 2012 R2 over 2008 R2. With some startmenu program ofcourse.

>How about Windows server 2012?
R2 or bust

But I don't think I can crack that one, but anyways Win Server 2008 R2 doesn't sound bad at all, and i'm guessing that it's more lightweight as well.

I got a Vostro 200 system that I will be upgrading, currently has some really shit parts like Pentium 1.8GHz, and 1.5GB of RAM.
Gonna get a C2D E8400-8600 and upgrade the memory to 4GB as well.

When I do I am going to give it a shot!

>It might actually run a bit better, since there's no desktop-ish bullshit like superfetch
Ok, you don't know what you are talking about. Thanks for telling me. Now I can skip the rest of this thread

how's the x5355? i'm thinking about pairing two up with my GTX 950 in my mac pro

>UNIX subsystem
>like cygwin

it uses c shell, not bash or zsh. it's posix compliant tho.

can 2012 r2 join homegroups? it doesn't seem so.

Post wallpaper

I run it on my home server and everything acts like regular Windows 7. All my software install properly and it still plays all my gaymes with 32-core power. With a GTX 980 it hits 60+ fps in just about anything.

>there's no desktop-ish bullshit like superfetch enabled by default
Great if you're running off an SSD, but on computers with mechanical hard drives superfetch actually improves performance.

>in 2008 R2 there's a UNIX subsystem
7 Enterprise and Ultimate also has it. Plus, as said you're better off with Cygwin if you want to run UNIX programs.

I did till I migrated to Funtoo and Arch. Only reasonable versions of Windows, till Windows became entirely unreasonable.

No.
He said "Post wallpaper".