/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

sagitter.fedorapeople.org/faif-2.0.pdf
aelog.org/checksums-made-easy
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
gitlab.com/femsf/toleranux
ss64.com/bash/chmod.html
packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning?date=110716
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for SATYA NUTELLA

Hey guys. Hope your day is going well. I was thinking about Librebooting my Thinkpad T400. I heard that after that I can't run Windows. Is that true? My main concern is can I run Windows 7 or 8.1 in a VM? I need to use Windows in Virtualbox for work.

Other things. Is it reversible? What tools do I need to do it? What privacy or security advantages does it offer?

I'm currently triple booting Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 16.04, and Android 6.0.1 if that helps.

Seconding this. I'll go read more on it while someone else (You)s (You).

Ey, I'm on Debian with GNOME 3 and neither .xsession nor .xinit seem to be doing anything when I login. They're both executable, and valid shell scripts.

Any clue what's up? How do you run commands at startup?

Ubuntu or Fedora? I want customizability to be a priority, but I'm planning on using i3 anyway so the DE doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer a minimal install so I don't have to uninstall a lot of bloatware.

Does Arch really teach you more about Linux than other distros?

Yes; when you install Arch, a team of personal tutors is deployed to your home. This alone gives it a huge advantage over other linux distributions, which would otherwise be nearly identical.

No. It's very similar to Debian. Almost everything is automatic.

The distro you are thinking of is Gentoo.

Short answer, no

Long answer, what matters isn't the distro, it's the user. You can learn a lot about Linux with fucking Ubuntu if you try. What Arch does is force you to go under the hood which doesn't mean you will learn, since you will probably just copy commands and configs from the wiki, and Gentoo does that better anyway.

No you can do the same thing with a minimal install of ubuntu
you might learn something trying to fix it when something breaks though

Arch taught me more than Debian did

Arch is a DIY distro, like Gentoo without the autism and timesink. So yeah, it'll teach you more than a preconfigured distro

>like Gentoo without the autism and timesink
Elabore

Well, Gentoo needs way more time to set up. Gentoo gives you more customizability because of the choice it gives you during compilation.

But if you are doing projects other than installing the distro, Arch, Debian/CentOS minimal, Fedora/Ubuntu Server is the way to go

Gentoo is just a useless timesink

I mean how does Arch teach you more than a preconfigured distro while not being as much of a timesink as Gentoo

is this a locale error? do i have to change locale?

Kind of. You learn almost everything that Arch gives you by installing a barebones Debian distro.

>I'd prefer a minimal install
Debian net installation with no DE.

>mainline: 4.7-rc7 2016-07-11
4.7 please come out soon.

Have you used Gentoo before? Or are you just talking out your ass?

>Arch, Debian/CentOS minimal, Fedora/Ubuntu Server is the way to go
It seems you are.

------------------------------
Friendly reminder that all GNU/Linux distributions are virtually identical, differing only superficially.
------------------------------

Petty infighting may now continue.

My T400 runs W7. It's heavy as fuck though; I don't know why i fell for this stupid fucking meme

I'm talking about replacing my bios firmware. I know it runs windows 7.

What's the easiest way (new linux idiot here) to inbed an album-art image onto an MP3 within linux?

puddletag

Easiest via cli, but since you're new, I suggest puddletag, a tagger which can add album art.

Anyone have experience debugging win32 applications running in wine? Or should I just do this in a VM. For reverse engineering purposes

thanks friends

The book is actually real.
sagitter.fedorapeople.org/faif-2.0.pdf

How would I set up development environments for Java and C++ on Debian?

There are a few ways. You could make systemd services or use gnomes autostart feature.

sudo apt install netbeans

Then select plugins for C/C++.

Alternatively, follow this process for Eclipse or whatever other IDE.

Alternatively, install GCC/G++ and the Oracle/OpenJDK.

Alternatively, employ a web search engine, because this process has been addressed 15 umptillion times already.

Thanks.

Got a few regressions and issues still.

GTKucks need not apply

aelog.org/checksums-made-easy

>buhuu the terminal is so dark and creepy

Meanwhile

What distribution would make a good VirtualBox guest? Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is boring.
Try Manjaro's bspwm spin with OpenRC.

I'm looking for something lightweight that works well as a guest.

> What distribution?
> What distribution?
> What distribution?
> What distribution?

Hi /fglt/, I was wondering which distribution to use for somebody who like to browse the web and maybe run files and such. Can somebody point me in the right direction??

install gentoo

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux

Well I guess newcomers are pretty lost. See all the "what you're using $DISTRO" and ">he fell for the $DISTRO meme" posts allover the board. I'd trust nobody anymore and maybe ask /fglt/.

Someone should update this piece of shit.

I'm homosexual trains women, what linux is best for me ??/?

can linux use the internet and listen to music?

It's breddy good like it is.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

kek, didn't know the that the filepicker made it into the wiki wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

gitlab.com/femsf/toleranux

Every time I right click on firefox a "segmentation fault" crashes it. This started happening after I last did -Syyu. Any idea what is going on...?

i don't see any reason why running windows in a VM won't work. the VM emulates its own BIOS

Downgrade to the last firefox that worked and wait for another update.

it's good like it is.

4.6 or linux-libre

Well, I guess I'll try that and see. (Or maybe I'll switch to Debian)

how do i make the the default output volume 100 in ALSA?

Using rsync/scp (to grab a secure file on an potentially insecure password-authenticated system) cannot possibly compromise the security of the system I used to grab it, correct?

How can I disable the middle click copy paste? Or at least change it to Ctrl+middle click or something.

Benefit of GNOME 3: There's an option to disable this

forgot a screenshot..

I'm only using a wm tho. felt for the rice meme.

Use Xubuntu (or minimal Ubuntu?)

How the heck do I update flash on Linux?
Apparently Adobe stopped supporting Firefox on Linux?
I understand the dismay towards flash around here, but this computer is to be used for tutoring folks so advice would be really appreciated.

I'm drawing a blank here.
I'm kinda new to scripting with bash so I have no idea how I should solve this.
My problem is that I want to include a version number in an html file. I can extract the version number just fine and theoretically append it.
But if I do append, it's not inside the HTML body. So, how can I move the line to a specified location (and later replace it if it's already in there)?
I thought about using awk but reading through the grymoire, I don't understand on how to use it for my use-case since it's constantly talking about fields.
A little help would be appreciated.

Adobe discontinued Flash altogether on GNU/Linux. Not only for Firefox.
Anyway, if you don't have it installed you can just install it and be on the latest version that's been developed. If you do, you might have to use your package manager or download the latest Flash version from their website.

>tutoring folks with flash
why?

thank you. I think a package manager is the GUI thing that is always pestering me to update :)

uhh I'm not teaching them flash. they are low income/legally disabled/elderly people who haven't worked a computer in their life usually. a minute detail such as having flash on the computer doesn't mean shit, I just want youtube and other sites to work. is that a problem for you?

Does anyone know how to enable border shadows on all windows/programs in Cinnamon (w/ Muffin WM)?

Pic related, top shows how some windows don't have shadows, bottoms shows that some windows do. I want all windows to have shadows like the bottom.

I'm using compton for the shadows. I'm using openbox but you can give it a try.

I was hoping I could do it within the Cinnamon/Muffin configs themselves, but if not I'll give Compton a try.

>I just want youtube and other sites to work.
where have you been in the last 5 years?
if you have flash installed it is actually harder to get video to work on youtube and most other sites. try purging it.

>sed forces changes upon unwitting streams, thereby oppressing them. As ToleranUX is a safe space, it was removed.
This is gold.

Hi,

lets say I have a file called 'test'. How would I give the user the permission to read it, but remove the execute permission, without touching the write permission

Is HTML5 optimized for lower end computers?

Hey /fglt/, my laptop only works with GRUB set to 'nomodeset', otherwise it gets stuck on a black screen. I just want to change my resolution to something else then 800x600.
Using Lubuntu (because the laptop is shit), also installed Lubuntu just yesterday, so I am definitely an absolute beginner

ss64.com/bash/chmod.html

"In terms of performance and usability, HTML5 loads faster and consumes less power than Flash content."

Pretty sure if you want to use flash on linux you should use chrome

Remix OS?

Want to learn linux. As I can see from answers, buntu/mint is ok for beginners but i wont learn to much because it is too beginner friendly. So what distro should I choose to start learn, but still not as hardcore as arch and gentoo? Fedora? Debian?

you can learn from any distro if you want, what you need for a good learning environment is a friendly community, documentation in the form of real documentation and wikis, books and manuals.
I'd go for debian if i had to pick a first distro again, though you may need to read about it before going for it.

Theres a port of the chromium flash engine for firefox. Pepper-flash or whatever.

Any way to easily execute a bash script remotely on another computer on the network?

I want to execute a bash script on my desktop from my laptop, both running Ubuntu.

ssh

ssh [email protected]

Well that was easy, thanks

Since it asks for a password directly after, is there any way to tell it to automatically enter the password? I'm trying to bind it to a key so i dont want to enter a password every time.

sshpass -p *password* ssh etc

worked

If anyone is interested, Packt Publishing gives away a gratis ebook "Linux Utilities Cookbook".
packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning?date=110716

Pretty sure if you want to use flash on linux you should rethink the point why you're using linux

Try fedora.

>backtrack
Looks like it's even more outdated than the other one, but the structure is better tbqh.

I want user friendliness of Ubuntu with good aesthetics (Unity and KDE look shit).
Where do I look for?

Anyone experience with Firejail?
Is it useful for you?

Newbie here. I want the output of df to be on one line. So I tried df -h | sed -e 's/\n/ /g' but it didn't work. I assume this has something to do how stout behaves, can someone explain it to me? And maybe give me a pointer in the right direction to solve this problem without having to use a temp file.

Ubuntu isn't user friendly.

If you want a easy-to-use beginner distro that doesn't look ass, get any distro with a decent DE and simply add a nice theme.

I'd recommend Debian. Gnome 3 looks decent enough, especially with a good theme

I have a small server at home for my backup, files server and plex needs. I've recently started to make use of ssh to encrypt my mobile hotspot when I'm abroad since my provider limits streaming services and other things to 10kb/s.

Works like a charm and I'm bretty happy.

Now, can I do something on that server to increase privacy on my home connection a bit? Can I use it to encrypt everything that comes and goes from my home connection? I'm a Linux newpleb but can manage basic services by now.