What's your favorite IRC client and why?

What's your favorite IRC client and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.countercultured.irc4android&hl=en
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys--2
9bis.net/kitty/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hexchat. I don't owe you an explanation

ChatZilla, it's easy to use.

What's the problem with IRC?

LMFAO FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I was using irssi because someone recommended it but I don't like it that much.

I consider using a GUI client instead but I'd be normie shamed.

i use chatzilla

I used to use hexchat but whenever I rarely need to hop on irc for a book or something I'll just use irssi. Working on replacing GUI programs with cli ones slowly and then I plan on switching to a tiling wm. So far I really like cmus rtorrent irssi and I have gotten good at managing my files with just bash. Next step is a thonkpad

Quassel is nice.

hexchat master race

Irssi in tmux. Basically the personal equivalent of IRCCloud. I can stay online 24/7, chat from my laptop, turn that off, and SSH into the session on my phone with everything where I left it.

IRC is typically used by people who like to slap nut sacks together & fuck assholes.

You ssh from your phone to your laptop?

I run a ZNC server myself, but your setup isn't bad.

AdiIRC. It's like mIRC but less shitty and somewhat more customizable and I found it to be more user-friendly.

I am gonna find you and give you a hiding

Hexchat on computer, but I need a good recommendation for a tablet client

/thread

I wrote my own for a laugh

Went from Hexchat to irssi and now I'm using weechat. Definitely the best terminal CLI irc client I've used.

hexchat for GUI/windows
currently using weechat. But I've found myself disliking many parts of it (shortcuts, documentation, configuration).

Weechat.
Customizable and I prefer using command line tools.

I use Atomic on my phone, should work just as well on a tablet.

Thanks. What sort of functionality does it have for /list? I mean, can it list channels? Can you set parameters (eg min numbers if users etc)

Thanks

irssi because my job requires it most of the time

Only good phone irc client

query alis on supporting networks

It doesn't have much functionality for much. No functionality for list.

SSH info screen session of irssi

I dont understand
Thanks.
Hmmm... I rarely leave a machine on if I am not in front of it (unless I am doing a long download)

This is a paid app. It looks nice. Thoughts anyone?

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.countercultured.irc4android&hl=en

weechat and irssi are both nice, although the usability is rough sometimes

hexchat was my favorite gui irc client before I ascended

/quote SQUERY Alis :HELP

>I have gotten good at managing my files with just bash
that works most of the time but can be annoying for certain tasks. You should try out ranger. It's an ncurses cli file manager with vim controls. There's also mc (midnight commander), but I've never used it.

whats the best channel to join

No light theme. Dev is fast responding to emails. Built mobile first worn unique and useful gestures. Non free proprietary software.

IRC is too hard anyway ;_;

How do you open links using irssi/weechat? I used it for months by double clicking (to select) then middle mouse button in my browser, but I got fed up and moved to Hexchat.

#cybersex
#netsex
#wetsex
#sexpics

Light theme dont worry me. But that client has a lot. The /list of channels is actually a pop up window, which is really nice. List is sortable too it seems.

>IRC hard?

Nah, how so?

Miranda IM

Why not running your irc daemon on a vps instead of your laptop?
you would be able to use irc if you commute with your laptop in your bag this way.

Miranda IM

Irssi.
That sexy curses interface, which can run in screen.

This

irssi+tmux = bliss

whenever i use a graphical client is hexchat

Textual, because it's beautiful.

>Textual
>Beautiful
your standards of beauty are really low m80 (not that others IRC clients look much better)

Slack because I'm not autistic.

AndroIRC
Free version runs just fine

I SSH from my laptop or phone to my home server.

Slack only because I'm forced to use it.

How do you join an IRC channel, socially? Do you just introduce yourself and say hi? Or do you wait until there is some discussion happening and chime in even though no one asked you to?

Depends on the channel really. On most of them you just lurk/idle.

Windows 10: IRC Explorer
Arch: Hexchat

IRC plugin for Trillian version 4.2

weechat because its like a preconfigured irssi

i join and immediately start calling everyone fags

Irssi

Assuming thats in the USA: Why arent they arresting her for burning the flag?

click to open links in urxvt with a few lines in .Xresources

Because she's photoshopped in.

Also burning the flag is protected under the first amendment.

weechat bois who up

weechat/irssi

>go on channel
>"insert unique greeting-phase here"
>do that every day
>repeat
>repeat
>repeat
>repeat
>???
>someone reponds

congratulations, you have now been accepted

also, you can just pop in with your opinion on a ongoing discussion or if it's a tech-channel, start discussing your actual project, that gets people involved

weechat, it's the most extensible/powerful

mein negers. I used irssi for nearly ten years before moving to weechat.

Weechat and screen is all I need. Mosh is nice, as well.

oh and I forgot irssinotifier plugin for weechat. It's awesome, you'll easily get all highlights immediately to your android. I love it.

Irssi for linux, mIRC for windows. Scripting is the reason for both.

Opera 12

>Weechat and screen is all I need. Mosh is nice, as well.
Personally I'm still trying to find a good solution for persistent IRC. Right now I'm doing it via a server running znc, but this has numerous problems and is also annoying to set up and maintain.

I know weechat has some sort of “remote client” mode where weechat can run headless on the server (?) and you connect to it locally or something. Not really sure

just get either an used raspberry pi 1/2/3 or buy a new one, either way it's gonna be pretty cheap. If you'r'e buying model 1 or 2, you'll surely find it for $20 or something. Slam any sd in you have laying around and bam, you have an irssi/weechat machine.

Install debian netinst or ubu minimal, select openssh-server to be installed in initial setup or install it later, no matter, update packages, install weechat+screen (or irssi+screen), set up ssh keys (here's an easy guide digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-ssh-keys--2 takes literally 30 secs), disable password login, open ssh port or forward another port to rasp's ssh port, and you're finished.

You can forget the pi and let it run for years without worries. Cheap to get, proven, cheap to run, pretty much perfect for irc.

I've had mine since the first pi came out. In fact I have multiple pi's running weechat instances: at my workplace, home, at my parents - I know immediately when internet outage happens.

>just get either an used raspberry pi 1/2/3 or buy a new one
Sorry if it wasn't clear - my question was related to software, not hardware.

Oh, and then you can connect to it from your android (irssi connectbot), linux terminal, or if you're on windows, using putty (I prefer kitty 9bis.net/kitty/ ).

Really easy peasy thing to spin up.

>IRC
grandpas leave please :P

In that case you can still read up my answer and pick what suits you. Install weechat+screen, set up ssh, either set up a systemd service or start weechat in screen manually (I like to use screen -S wee weechat-curses, -S names the screen so I can open it up easily if I have multiple by using "screen -DR wee" or alias for it).

It's really simple, I'm sure there's guides to set this up, I've had mine for 11 years now so can't recall any guides.

Using a standard IRC client over SSH is a big no-no. Not only is it uncomfortably slow/laggy, but it also has real problems e.g. log availability and performance (especially on a raspi - I'd rather use a dedicated box for it).

Also, I'd need a dedicated place to host it (although I could just stick it into my university's server room or something). A VPS would be better for this job in principle, but I'm avoiding the use of interactive clients over SSH deliberately.

As a result, I need to find some way of doing remote IRC that doesn't require the use of a remote UI - but instead keeps the UI, logging etc. locally; and for that I can pretty much only thing of two options: 1. a bouncer (like znc), which works reasonably well but is annoying to set up and maintain (e.g. if I want to connect to a new server I have to set up a new user account and configure it in the config file, etc.), and 2. the weechat command bridge (maybe - I don't know much about it)

What I'd want, ideally, is some sort of split client design where the connection backend and connection configuration lives on the server, but with the GUI frontend and GUI configuration + logging + searching + whatever living on the client.

>Using a standard IRC client over SSH is a big no-no. Not only is it uncomfortably slow/laggy, but it also has real problems e.g. log availability and performance (especially on a raspi - I'd rather use a dedicated box for it).

Dude, I'm a sysadmin by trade and done this for 15 years. I'm not following you.

I have multicpu xeons and other good stuff in our racks at work, I honestly think running a text based irc client is pretty fucking spot on for a pi.

Sync the logs with a cron job with rsync or use syncthing, if they're important to you.

Performance, like you're moving tens of kilobits/s and ssh puts like full pi's 100M to use. You really lost me there.

Searching? /lastlog *regexp*.

But set up the way you want it. You probably know better what suits you.

>MOM! I made a funny post on the internets

If you're playing down IRC, tell us valid alternatives.

So far I've had my own instance of wave in a box, toxic, rocket.chat, mattermost, big blue button and I'm probably forgetting a few which I've tried.

Tell me a more robust, non-proprietary way to chat with people around the world. All with minimal overhead, encrypted connections and of course, for free.

Wave was awesome at the time, too bad it was a java shitshow.

writing an IRC client right now. What would you Sup Forumsentoomen think is missing from IRC interfaces?

I'm on a really shitty home connection with semi-regular dropouts, latency spikes, packet loss and congestion. The bandwidth is also not exceptional - even just resizing the window takes some time for the repaint to happen (this is with SSH compression enabled), whereas it's completely instant locally.

On top of that, even to my closest server (latency of about 20ms) I can physically feel the delay while typing. SSH over remote connections, especially even slower ones than this is uncomfortable for me to use without some sort of front-end that prints keystrokes locally before waiting for the remote shell to process and reply.

I'm not convinced about your proposal of using rsync for logging. How often would you run it? Once an hour? That adds an annoying delay into log availability. Also, rsync doesn't scale well because it doesn't support partial / incremental updates, whereas logs are almost entirely that. Keep in mind we're talking about about 10+ Gigabytes of IRC logs here. I don't want to be retransmitting that every hour (even compressed).

One of the things I could try doing is using btrfs subvolumes + regularly sending incremental snapshots, but that's finnicky and not at all trivial to setup in a robust way that is also transparent to me as a user.

>Performance, like you're moving tens of kilobits/s and ssh puts like full pi's 100M to use. You really lost me there.
Well for example, I like large scrollbuffers, and I like being able to scroll and search them instantly. My weechat instance is currently using over a gigabyte of memory. Not sure if you enjoy swapping on a raspi, but I don't.

wtf, m8, look at this, it's ASCII art

This

>Keep in mind we're talking about about 10+ Gigabytes of IRC logs here

What do you do with irc?

You could fit 21882 Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment epub's in your logs.

>On top of that, even to my closest server (latency of about 20ms) I can physically feel the delay while typing. SSH over remote connections, especially even slower ones than this is uncomfortable for me to use without some sort of front-end that prints keystrokes locally before waiting for the remote shell to process and reply.

Google mosh. Its ideal for this.

>What do you do with irc?
idle compulsively

mIRC

I even paid for it.

Weechat ftw?

Another thing I forgot to mention: I run gentoo and build weechat from master on a regular basis, to test new features and plugins and receive fixes to issues I report.

I also do some weechat addon development. So to me, having a consistent python / perl / C / whatever environment is a pretty big deal, especially if it means being able to seamlessly interact with my local system and use my normal package manager to install required dependencies etc.

I also want to benefit from portage's fantastic ability to keep live packages updated, so I'd need to be running gentoo on the pi as well to mimic it. (I do actually have gentoo running on a few servers, but the problem is that they're all slow as shit so maintaining it is agonizingly slow compared to my beefy workstation)

I guess my standards are just too high. I want the best of all worlds, all the performance and integration of running the client locally with all the stability and uptime of running it on a server, with none of the downsides of using a bouncer.

Are you using that for machine learning or something? Why the fuck would you have 80 gigs of IRC logs?

Careful, it's in Gb = gigabit (not gigabyte), so it's more like 10 GB.

Don't ask, I'm a bit weird.

Just tbz2 that shit

Textual, it just works.

fuck we're on same channels

>f you're playing down IRC, tell us valid alternatives.

Facebook messenger.

I use a filesystem with compression enabled, actually - so that's far from the true size on disk either way.

(And with my btrfs incremental snapshot idea, I would only be sending around compressed extents)

I'm not in most of those channels, I just have logs lying around from when I was.

literally this
>2016
>not having a screen/tmux session with mutt, newsbeuter, irssi, rtorrent etc. open on home server
I never thought falling for the cloud meme would feel this good

weechat

used irssi for a long time before that, but weechat does everything irssi did and then some. there is no point in using irssi any more

I just have all of those running on my desktop instead, which I keep on almost 24/7.

The problem with home servers is that all it does is introduce more points of failures and reduce performance.

thanks

You're using brtfs/zfs snapshotting on your desktop?

I keep my low power home server running 24/7/365 and use only my desktop when I feel like it, but each for his own.

get out