Is there any point in buying X99 systems when a Z170 + 6700K can achieve 80% of the performance at a lower cost?

Is there any point in buying X99 systems when a Z170 + 6700K can achieve 80% of the performance at a lower cost?

80%? Try 110%+.

Skylakes have better single and quad-core performance than any X99 chip.

is there any point on not waiting for Zen and buying an skylake i7 for the price of an i3 without the CPU backdoors?

Until you start using programs that can actually take advantage of more than four cores.

>le waiting for MAD meme
Just wait till they're bankrupt, then you can have all the CPUs you could ever want.

Not really no.

For the vast majority of people you could spend a lot less and still have all your needs met.

I hope Zen is a good bang/buck.

Broadwell-E cost the same and is faster.

>using programs that can actually take advantage of more than four cores.

Which are rare and tedious.

Even Adobe is slowly leaving the confines of X99. No one cares about cpu cores anymore. Parallel GPUs are the future.

My 5820k matches 6700k stock single core performance, so it's not like a 5820k is gonna hold you back much.

Besides that it has 2 more cores so anything properly threaded sees a significant 30-40% performance gain over a 6700k.

>my overworked cpu barely matches a 90w skylake in performance

proud of you man.

>buy locked Skylake CPU + ASRock board with the external clock generator so you can OC it

You're set for the next few years.

overworked? It's not even breaking 1.3v which is where degradation can start. It's a pretty safe OC, I can get 4.7GHz stable but I like to keep my temps under 65c under load.

>cpu backdoors
You get these with MAD too. Intel at least gives you top performance. Stay poor.

>effectively turning a 140W processor into 400W power sucking abortion

like I said.
proud
of
you

6700K performs better than X99 in most normal applications. X99 just does better in multi-threaded apps for things like video editing etc.

>400W power sucking abortion
I'm not even pulling 400w from the wall when I include both my 1440p monitors at the same time as my 5820k doing an h264 encode.

Most I draw is around 380w. That's including both monitors, 4 hard drives, 2 ssds, motherboard, RAM, bluray drive, 6x140mm fans, H110i GTX pump, and a GTX 960 idling.

So no, it's not a 400w CPU no matter how much you meme.

Also, the 6700k has 1.75B transistors. The 5820k has 2.6B transistors. About 1B more transistors, no shit it uses more power. It also performs a lot better in rendering, encoding, games that use more than 4 cores, multitasking, streaming, etc.

So sure, your 6700k might have 10-15% better single core performance. But you can't exactly call a 5820k a slouch of a CPU.

Especially since i got mine for $290 at microcenter, far cheaper than a 6700k.

>idling
>same as overclocking

you're not a very bright man

I said the 5820k doing h264 encode.

The GPU was idling

Do you even into reading comprehension?

Only a cuck would buy skylake.

The only argument from skylake owners is always power consumption. Like the other user said no shit 2 extra cores consumes more power.

h264 encoding your anime isn't going to push anything higher than a skylake wouldn't do

Your overclock is virtually useless.

>memeing over the processors from a same company

pa-thet-ic

>>memeing over the processors from a same company
What does he mean by this?

How bad of an idea is buying into mini-itx cuckbox and an i3-6320? The shitty i5-6400 costs miles more here

didn't mean that as a reply, fugg

kek someone is salty

also
>Your overclock is virtually useless.
How is a solid 20-30% faster encode time useless?

X99-platform has way better upgradeability than pleb tier socket 1151-crap.
buy a cheap X99-board and a 5820K and upgrade to 22-core xeon or extreme editions after 5-6 years when the 6-core haswell starts to be obsoleteish.Same price as meme gaymer-z170 board and 6700k.

But Skylake is actually faster than Haswell. Also better iGPU for excellent Intel drivers and performance on Linux.
X99 is great for compiling your packages on Gentoo and also doing non-gaymur things because the ability to have 40 PCI-E lanes makes it possible to run multiple (different) GPUs, RAID cards, NICs and PCI-E SSDs at full speed.

>upgrade to 22-core xeon or extreme editions after 5-6 years
>22 cores with shit single thread performance
>extreme editions that have been heavily abused

Autismo with money

>not having comfy i5

X99 is a better platform. Better selection of processors. If you care about money it's not worth it though. It's just not a budget platform no matter how you slice it.

Skylake replacement will offer 6 cores as standard. Even the i5.