Hackermanus Supremus

So I'm going to be moving into a van soon because I don't feel like paying rent and wasting money on what could be equity...

It'd be nice if I could 'borrow' WiFi when I park my van, but I have pretty much no knowledge on how to access a protected network. Can someone tell me what to read/how to do it/where to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/wireless-password-easily-cracked/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just park next to a McDonalds.

Or Starbucks, but they're not as sketch so might pick up alerts.

Orr read some wireshark and other Linux mumbo jumbo

You're paying no rent
Just pay for an unlimited cell plan you fucking vagrant

install gentoo

>mc donalds
>starbucks
evil twin

"free wi-fi" is the worst of your problems if you think moving into a fucking van to save money is a good idea.

>worst
Fuck, meant least.

Hipster coffee shops, possibly.

What kind of area to be living in, city rural etc?

Probably small cities, bordering on rural living.

And I've been backpacking on the Appalachian trail for 5 months now. Living in a van is going to be a serious upgrade for me, and the access to WiFi is one of the primary concerns next to the basics.

this

Unlimited cell plans cost about as much as rent.....

OP, how did you enjoy/survive Appalachia? Roughing it in the woods, homesteading, couch surfing? I'm actually interested in this.

Also, as for breaking into protected networks, don't. All it takes is one devoted admin actually watching the wires and you've got the po-po on you. If you're going to be living in a van anyways to save money, why risk jail time? The risk is incredibly low, but it's not worth it m8.

Likewise, I echo what other anons here have wrote. There's still a chance someone might call the local puds on you if you park overnight, but there are absolutely tons of wifi hotspots that you can engage with that are open. Public Libraries, almost any fast food place, star bucks, the list goes on and on. I'd say it's harder to NOT find a public network now than it is cracking into a protected one.

Star smart and safe man.

Why?

Thanks for the helpful reply.

It's been an excellent adventure. There's so much to say about it it's hard to know where to start. From meeting some of the best humans I've ever met in my life, to having run-ins with blackbears and moose in the middle of the night, to walking in the rain for 3.5 weeks consecutively... It's changed what I value most of all... Which is partially why I'd like to live in a van.

You're probably right in the long run. But I'd still like to retain the know-how of possible. I'd be more interested in just cracking some homeowners shirty wrt54g that's hasn't seen the diagnostic page since 2005. I'd probably have to do it rarely but it would be nice to know how just in case (:

Alright then. Maybe in another life we'll get a chance to talk about it. I live in the middle of the NC woods myself, surrounded by woodland. Go camping for weeks at a time when work allows. I've always dreamed of throwing my pack over my shoulder and hiking till I got tired, but I'm way too domesticated (read: married with a kid) to attempt it until I'm really old.

It really depends on your level of familiarity. The number one rule regarding most protected networks is this: Assume people are stupid. If you're aware of what kind of wireless router they're using and stuff, attempt to use the default password for such stuff first.

If you're a bit smarter, there's dedicated pen-testing stuff you can try, like Kali and more.

arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/wireless-password-easily-cracked/

^This is an alright luddite article on the basics of breaking a wifi password. Before you do this, I recommend doing some reading. There's a LOT of methods, some quicker than others, that you can attempt.

If you're able to access a machine within the network, there's noob tricks you can use, such as having Snadboy hover over a user login to get the pass and other methods. Snadboy can be ran off a pen drive, last I checked.

Just be careful. Each state handles breaking into networks differently. While jail might be worth it depending on how bad the situation gets, it'd be an easy way to lose funding very quickly, esp. since most courts are incredibly unknowledgable about how computers work in the first case.

I got a package for Windows off tpb in 2005 or so, but didn't support wpa/2 (most routers security these days) so you may try that. Haven't done anything with it in awhile though for reasons mentioned above.

Sounds like an adventure, dude. Living on the trail is something I'd like to do in another life.

I've always wanted to make a map of wifi that use WEP encryption.
Look for WEP. They deserve it.

OP honestly its too high risk, little reward.

Just use Public wi-fi (McDonald's, Gym, Library, Cafe), or look into services such as WiMAX, usb modems, small satellite

shouldn't your experience made you value 4 walls around you more than anything?

I knew nobody was going to give a reasonable answer
You use aircrack for that shit OP
There are 3 encryption schemes (afaik) to wireless: WEP, WPA, and WPA2
WEP is easiest to crack, they might as well just put up the password in a banner for everyone to see
WPA is slightly harder but I think it has a vulnerability which is why there's WPA2
And to the extent of my knowledge, WPA2 is hard to crack, and your best bet would be to use a bruteforce attack on those.
To crack them use aircrack-ng. Go get it, read the manuals.
if you don't use linux or a unix variant, then get wifislax on a flash drive.

I haven't done it in a while, but I think there's a setting on WPA2 to help adding printers and etc that adds a vulnerability. Reaver be the program used to attack that.
But you usually want to attack easy targets, so WEP.
Also Starbucks have nice public wifi, but I doubt you can park a van in front of one. You'll have to pay for coffee.

Not going to say much more, but
[spoiler]aircrack-ng[/spoiler]

lot of WPA2 access points have weak password

there is oclhashcat for that with dictionary and mask attacks

you would be suprised

also lot of open networks, all you need to do is analyze traffic and maybe spoof mac

I wonder, does the router notices that somebody is driving a bunch of combinations or does it just ignores it?

this is not how it works.
you capture handshake with aircrack-ng for offline cracking then you try to crack password with hashcat suite

Right, of course. Otherwise the speed would suck. My bad.

reaver is your easiest option if you have any WEP signals nearby.

reaver works good with old routers that have WPS enabled.

New routers will lock you after some tries. Guessing right PIN can take a very long time and you cannot do it offline

>So I'm going to be moving into a van soon because I don't feel like paying rent and wasting money on what could be equity...
then get a mortgage you mongoloid. Let me guess you have no savings whatsoever and live paycheck to paycheck.

>It'd be nice if I could 'borrow' WiFi when I park my van
get a fucking job