Why did Linux continue as a thing once BSD was made open to everybody?

Why did Linux continue as a thing once BSD was made open to everybody?

Because Linus wanted to make it so, and it happened.

The Internet.

Because the BSD license allows companies to borrow code and then make it proprietary without even acknowledging the original work . The GPL doesn't and it has allowed free software to thrive.

When did Unix become free? If it was a long time ago, one would think Linux still would have been very far behind it, which makes me wonder why it was chosen for mass-adoption.

This. Say no to cuckold languages.

Butthurt.

Why did Coke continue as a thing once Pepsi was available?

OH YEAH CHOICE WHAT A FUCKING CONCEPT, YOU FUCKING TROLL

Please leave.

>butthurt
No, just making fun of a shitty troll

Linux has better driver support.

Because BSd fucking blows and Linux is better

ebin

Yeah but that's an effect of the cause which is the subject of my questioning.

Linux was designed to be a copy of Unix, people starting working on Linux, then Unix became free to everybody, yet people stayed with Linux.

One guy mentioned the licensing, which makes sense. Anything else?

GNU/Linux was more mature and established on personal computers by the time that BSD became free of legal bullshit that had tied it up in the early '90s.

BSD absolutely thrived in the '80s.

No, you BSD types always get butthurt when called corporate cucks.

I guess it has something to do with the foundation and entterprise linux support of Red hat and Novell

I don't think you know what butthurt means

You. You get called a corporate cuck and your only response is NO U.

Why would I actually try when I'm just arguing with a freetard 12yo script kiddie? I've given you extremely logical explanations before and you just call me a cuck again.

It literally is. BSD driver support is a joke compared to Linux which is saying a lot

Nu-males like yourself get mad at a revolutionary word like cuck.

Something less popular has less support? Holy shit, no way!

Nah

>BSD absolutely thrived in the '80s.
No shit that was because it was completely free software and companies weren't yet taking their code for it yet. Not to mention that the code was still under Bell Labs.

So the consensus I'm getting here is that the only real difference between unix and linux is the licensing, and thus the overwhelming popularity of linux is most likely attributable to this difference, even though in practicality they are basically the same product run on sentence.

>and companies weren't yet taking their code for it yet
NeXTSTEP, SunOS, ULTRIX, and Tru64 were all proprietary Unix platforms built on top of BSD.

>language
holy shit you are retarded
more buzzwords, Sup Forums