Who here has actually self-learned software engineering/programming and got a job with it? Tell us about it

Who here has actually self-learned software engineering/programming and got a job with it? Tell us about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, me.

How did you do it?

I self-learned software engineering and applied to a job offering.

Go into detail on how you did that.

>used codeacademy and other resources to learn front end shit
>7 months and a couple of projects later I got hired as a data entry worker at a tech start up
>used the extra cash to get a associates in technology
>used the experience and the degree to get an actual job as a software engineer at another start up

The trick is to avoid established technologies like the plague.

really, front end?

You are retarded if you think this works out for more than 1% of self taught "programmers" get related jobs. Just look at entry level job applications and their basic qualifications. Not enough neckbeard NEETs do this. It's either: have a degree from an accredited university, have related work experience with an impressive portfolio. Don't kid yourself on the self taught meme.

This is why I'm asking user.

>1) Read well known books such as these: Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>2) Make projects demonstrating the knowledge you've gain
>3) Apply to jobs and talk about what you did and how you troubleshooted problems that came up in your projects during interviews
>4) All the jobs you can shake your dick at

so self-taught works if you have an impressive portfolio? good to know.

I taught myself networking with a CCNA book and a Udemy class for $19 (maybe $17 or 27 or 29 but deff less than $30) then got a job as a systems engineer at Cisco. I went from 0 to CCNA in exactly 30 days. It sucked and honestly was pretty tiring (was in uni + working) but 10000% worth it

>IT

Self-taught works if you manage to convince the hiring manager that you're worth the interview effort. HR managers who don't understand the job like the workers do will cull resumes for not strictly adhering to the insane job description.

That degree need not be in SE/CS. Any degree, even Philosophy, Religion, History or Classics will do.

Are you implying systems engineering isn't IT?

>""""""""""""""""""systems engineering""""""""""""""""""

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuureeee, systems engineering.

there's more to life than writing python scripts

i'm self taught. make $135k salary without living in sf or nyc. ask me anything i guess (except my name or where i work).

give proof that what you say is true.

or give advice that only someone in your position would have to give.

not him but i do slightly bigger numbers out of north carolina. just a regular bachelor of arts and some certs

>some certs
What kind?

I'm Full disclosure.

I work for a networking vendor. Entry compensation for an SE is just under 150K. I have a CCDP and a CCNP and started out in RTP

job discussion is not technology discussion

cool story sperg

Front-end webdev jobs are much more lax with formal education in my experience.

Can confirm this. Recently spoke to a tech recruiter about her job.

tl;dr: She looks for 3 things in a CV:

- Relevant education
- Keywords: SQL, C++, C-shape
- Experience

I assume she meant C#, but it basically shows how much she knows.

sysadmin/devops

learnt by myself during highschool

Not a job but self employed. I make phone apps and net over $1,200~ almost every month from ads an in-app purchases. Self taught myself Java and Android SDK for over 5 years before I could make a profitable app. But it all worked out in the end and now I only have to update apps every few months to add features or fix bugs and whatnot, most of the time I just live the neet life in a room my cool parents are renting me for $400 a month.

>5 years

oh wow

i can't prove i'm self-taught.
i'm not going to attach my pay stub.

my advice is to learn how to articulate your ideas, and have something to offer a company other than pure coding. technical advice would be to develop a good feel for abstractions.

>Who here has...got a job with IT?

Yeah that shit takes time to master you memer. Learning all the basics could probably be done in weeks if you really pushed yourself but actually being able to make profitable things is really really hard as fuck. If it wasn't then all the high school dropouts would be rolling deep in benjamins after picking up a "how to learn java in 21 days" book in less than a month.