/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/qrkxF1bk
github.com/dnschneid/xfce4-genmon-plugin/tree/master/panel-plugin
calno.com/evilvte/
letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=What is Linux-ZEN and Linux-GRSEC
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hello. Is there some kind of GRATIS online Twitter automatization tool, to make easier to reply to many tweets of the same topic sequentially? I don't know if IFTTT could do this.
It would not be a full-bot. This would be strange and dumb. But something easier than reading everyday and replying by copypasting and editing messages...

fuck this fat autistic commie virgin and his shitty os.

Python

>calling GNU an OS
GNU isn't actually an OS, just part of one.

I wonder what it must be like to watch all your colleges get tremendously rich and successful while you're a fat broke piece of shit. Sad.

GNU is an OS, it is an entire Userland which is most of the OS then there is a kernel which can be microkernel, exokernel, monolithic, nano and hybrid kernel, GNU has a failed kernel which is multiserver microkernel called Hurd, it's absolute shit, so they use the monolithic kernel Linux, in which that makes GNU an entire operating system. Just like Android being the userland and Linux being the kernel, im not gonna refer to it as GNU/Linux but rather just GNU because nobody says Android/Linux but only Android

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as GNU, is in fact, Linux plus GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux libs, utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often referred to as GNU, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux Project.

There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU is just a set of system libraries and utilities. GNU is a useful part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU is normally used in combination with the Linux operating system: the whole system is basically Linux with GNU added, or Linux. All the so-called GNU distributions are really distributions of Linux!

he's not a virgin though

yeah but can they get away with eating their own feet without losing anyone's respect?

I don't want to program my own solution, because I don't have a server.

No, user, just no. GNU is not Android. Android is a full system on top of Linux kernel. GNU is just a set of libs and tools. Even X is not GNU. Linux distribution is so much more than GNU on top of linux kernel.

GNU is no OS. O-asses needs kernel!

You can run python programs on your home computer. Amazing, isn't it?

I never said GNU was Android, completely different systems. Yes it is a full system on top of Linux, GNU is an entire userland system on top of Linux kernel, obviously GNU distros are much more than GNU and Linux as they add their own package managers, DE, and extra software of course.

Yeah, then it would be a server. Would need to be turned on 24/7. This isn't gratis.

GNU has a kernel, Hurd, but they use Linux because it's a better kernel.

HURD doesn't works.
It's only a draft of a kernel.

yes X is extra software added and is not GNU but that's not the Operating System, it's simply external third party software, why do people feel the need to bring up unrelated software

They are Linux distros. They call themselves Linux distros, and that is the primary reason why they are Linux distros. They include both Linux kernel and GNU set of tools, and they recognize that Linux kernel component is more important, so they make the decision to call themselves Linux distributions.

A system that only runs GNU project software on top of Linux could be called GNU - but no one would use that.

And you strongly implied in your post that GNU plays the same role as Android hence those distributions should be called GNU. That's a lie. Android is a full system, GNU is just a set of libs and tools.

Why would you need it running 24/7? You can run it in the morning and it would reply to all messages posted at night during the course of day.

There isn't any kind of already made solution?

Server means you publish information.
Client means you take information.

This would be a client.
It does not have to be on all the time, you could just reply to twitter when you had the application running.

You could also make the client run on your phone.
That way, you do have a computer running 24/7

Python is 90% a ready solution for opening a browser, logging into a client and putting memes in a form.

Because I don't agree with your definition of what an operating system is. POSIX is not a definitive source on what is an OS and what isn't. Windows doesn't conform to POSIX and yet you'd have to be insane to say Windows isn't an OS.
In my eyes, Linux kernel alone is enough to be an operating system. It runs the init process and lets you create more processes, control them and provides access to hardware.

yeah it works, it's just absolute shit and a lot of shit breaks
No just because it's called something doesn't mean that it is true, yes it includes the Linux Kernel and the GNU userland with extra third party software added to it which is made by the community andvthe developer of the distro, Linux is very important, it brings the userland to life and determines filesystems and loads drivers, it is the most important part, but then there is GNU the userland, Linux by itself is useless and wont work without a system on top of it.

Thanks for the explanation.
But no phones. Phones are like Windows 10, they are surveillance machines.

Absolute shit is not an acceptable feature on a kernel! It's needed that it works properly, at least. So, it's only a draft.

Linux will work with just the init program. No need for a libc even - just an init binary filled with wheatever you choose. It will work, it just probably won't be very useful. So GNU does not fill the role of making it work - it just makes it more useful. And non-GNU software is much more successful at making Linux useful, so I still don't agree that GNU should somehow be above all other software on Linux system.

POSIX is definetly not fully accurate, Windows runs a userland and a kernel so it is an OS. But Linux by itself can do a lot of things but cannot be a full OS, the reason projects like Android dont use Linux as the whole OS is because that would be absolutely retarded and would just break, they made a userland for it called android and it ran like normal, not doubting the amazing Linux kernel though but it is NOT an entire OS

I never use Python.
Why learn a programming language to make just 1 program? I learnt C and Pascal, and they were useless.

>never used
Fixed.

Oh, please enlighten me, what does OS need to be able to do that Linux by itself can't?

Make you able to browse Sup Forums.

yeah but there wouldn't be a userland, sure it would boot but it wouldnt really be a full OS defined by today's standards.

Go back to redddit ya winfag cuck.

What standards are those?

But you do realize that this functionality in linux distributions is provided by a browser that's not a part of GNU? It's the browser that can use any libc, not just the GNU one. If you list being able to browse Sup Forums as one of core requirements of an OS, then GNU clearly doesn't not deserve to be a part of that OS's name.

cd
ls
cat
chmod
lsmod
coreutils
compile
run binaries with a LibC and many more, I can go on and on

By your definition Windows is not an OS. Didn't we just discuss this?

Same pedantic response every fucking linux post.
Stop arguing semantics and just call it linux ya fucking sperglord.

Windows 10 is a surveillance machine.
The OS part is just a bait for users.

no, Windows is indeed an OS, it runs a userland and the NT kernel, as long as it has those two then it is an Operating System
Im calling it GNU, call me a richard stallman it's just correct fampai

YOU'RE NOT BEING
F R I E N D L Y
R
I
E
N
D
L
Y

>>no, Windows is indeed an OS, it runs a userland and the NT kernel, as long as it has those two then it is an Operating System
I asked you to list requirements for OS, and you listed a bunch of stuff that disqualifies Windows from being an OS. If you don't see that that invalidates your requirements, you might want to go see a doctor.

Without GNOME, I can't use my browser.

also Windows has a libc, compiler, can do things that GNU allows you to do as well, it is an OS, so is GNU

>see a doctor

FRIENDLY°???

I wonder what it's like to not be a shill for a piece of shit profiteering asshole who uses sleazy underhanded tactics to make more money from people who won't make 1/1,000,000th of his networth in their entire lives.

Windows does not have a compiler. You install it separately. If you so desire. Is Windows without compiler not an OS?

What OS shit? And what OS shit does GNU do?

Last time I checked you needed a userland program for device management and linux just had an API for it - and the only programs for that are nongnu.

inb4 something like editing text or compiling C is a basic OS function

>the OS in your car's ECU lacks emacs and gcc and isn't actually an OS

Linux by itself does allow you to navigate filesystem, create/modify/delete files and have general access to hardware, through syscalls, so it does satisfy those conditions and can be called an OS.

>with a libc
but it doesn't need to be a libc, it can be a libhaskell, and it doesn't need to be a lib at all. see: assembly-based OSes.
>UNIX shell commands
those aren't OS functions, that's desktop userland crap. imagine windows nerds saying an OS without a DOS shell is incomplete.
>compile
see above. an OS that needs its software compiled on another OS is still an OS.

yet pretty useless without userland

sadly for GNU, GNU isn't even close to the only, or most desirable, userland that accesses those features. so, is it really GNU/Linux? only if the only things you have installed are GNU and linux.

>no gtk anywhere
>almost never touch the unix shell
>GNU comprises a very insignificant portion of the software you use for interacting with the kernel
>is it still GNU/Linux?
stallman says yes anyways because you need to advertise for the comgnunist party

Reminder that the only other group of people to get this autistic about semantics are tumblrites.

>yet pretty useless without userland
Well, your post is in complete agreement with what I wrote before - yes Linux alone is an OS, no Linux alone is not extremely useful for general tasks, no Linux with userland should not be called GNU.

Windows has C and C++ compilers, yes you install it seperately but it is indeed apart of the OS, an OS can be ran without a compiler but a compiler is neccesary for something like Windows which runs off of it's own executable format

And Sup Forums

The mention of GNU is political because it's a political group first and foremost. They make software, but only for politicial reasons - like trying to displace software they find poltiically abhorrent. Saying GNU/Linux is a political statement. This is politics.

Compiler is not a core part of an OS because you can provide the OS without a compiler. Compiler is a core part of building an OS, but those two are different things.

I, you know, I'm not even against GNU's goals. A world where everything is Free Software not that bad. I just want the fanatics to stop mislabeling Linux.

Calling the OS anything but the name of the distro is a mislabel

Linux alone does not constitute the whole of a useful OS. It's a vast collection of software, and a lot of basic OS shit you expect like session management, graphical user interfaces, and device management isn't ever GNU - it's fucking freedesktop.org.

But when you classify those OSs that build on top of linux kernel, you may name the class Linux distribution, or you may name the class GNU distribution. Latter is what GNU fanatics are pushing for and it's what I disagree with.

I'm not your fempai you weeb faggot.

Stop calling everything you disagree with fanatic and someone might even listen to you.
I never mislabeled linux. Usually I even include the version of it when talking about specifics. But if you think calling an OS that calls itself GNU/Linux by its right name, you might be actually fanatic.

So I'm trying out different WMs at the moment. I'm trying to install i3 and I don't remember having to do anything other than what I did just now which was
>install i3 (sudo apt install i3)
>log out to switch WM
but when I got to my login screen, all that was listed was the different versions of Gnome that my distro came with (Ubuntu Gnome) what's going on

Maybe you have to restart some gdm service. Try just rebooting.

Overloading the Linux name is a mistake.

An operating system includes a kernel program that manages multiplex access between users, individual programs and hardware devices. A kernel program in itself is not particularly useful in itself - it is always existing within the context of an operating system. The rest of the operating system are programs that are used to manage the different parts of computer system like a text editor, software compiler and file utilities. This is distinguished with application software which provides functionality that isn't concerned with managing the system.

Is there something in this list that would brick my system if I removed it?
pastebin.com/qrkxF1bk

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

>text editor
>software compiler

>This is distinguished with application software which provides functionality that isn't concerned with managing the system.

Read what you write user. Text editor to manage the system. Software compiler to manage the system.

>The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required
Unless you have been messing with the package management, there should be no packages in your system which depend on them, unless you have manually installed applications which depend on automatically installed libraries.

Save the list in case you need to fix it later.

I'm trying to edit a xfce panel plugin but i cant find where the config file is located.

Does anyone know where i can find it?

Plugin in question:
github.com/dnschneid/xfce4-genmon-plugin/tree/master/panel-plugin

Ok guys, I'm searching for a new terminal emulator. I've been using URxvt for years, but I want to level up. Suggestions?

gnome-terminal?

Gnome-terminal or stterm are other options.

>wants a new program
>doesn't even list why he's unsatisfied with the old one
>most likely isn't
>is most likely doing it only to be l33t and to brag about it online

You're one of those people who post idiotic things like "guiys got bored of my current installatioin, recommend me a new distribution".

I ran into some stuff that annoys me with URxvt: Some VT100 stuff isn't supported, it needs to be patched for stuff like sane font width etc. and some features like perl are simply overkill.

gnome-terminal is the most bloated terminal in existence, I'd prefer something lightweight.

Well, I liked it when I was on a linux workstation because it looked pretty and rendered text pretty.

Didn't say it's bad. It's a good terminal after all.

>gnome-terminal is the most bloated terminal in existence, I'd prefer something lightweight.
[citiation needed]

You guys need to stop with free software meme.

Linux is worse than both Windows and OSX.

If the reason you're using Linux is muh free software you're full of shit since you're posting on Sup Forums and probably use sites like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter.

Stop the pointless freetard bullshit, Stallman is the only person that's not a hypocrite and embraces free software, do you want to be Stallman?

try evilvte
calno.com/evilvte/

theres a comparsion, at link above

>newfag thinks he can troll oldfags who have seen such bait over a million of times
git gud

>Linux
>Free Software
bitch please?

What is Linux-ZEN and Linux-GRSEC

>Latest commit 8dfa41e on Mar 31, 2014

>bloat is now only a measure of binary size instead of a comparison of cpu usage, ram usage, general responsiveness and amount of useless features in comparison to amount of good features
That aside why is st/stterm not on the list?

letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=What is Linux-ZEN and Linux-GRSEC

I am using Ubuntu 16.04. I set my current wallpaper directly from Firefox (neglecting to save the image on the drive somewhere). I don't remember where I got it.

I love the wallpaper and don't want to lose it. I would like to save a copy of it to my Wallpaper collection. Can I retrieve it from the computer somehow (short of saving a screenshot)?

Why is compiling on linux such a fucking hassle.

I'm trying to install a program and i have no idea why it's not working.

It should be in your home directory ~.

Because linux doesn't have a compiler

It isn't there, I checked.

3 options:

- searx the error message
- post the error message
- cry

no error messages

Does not show up in installed programs

>Why is compiling on linux such a fucking hassle.
Are you implying that it's easier on Windows or something?

Did the program ship a .desktop file? It may not have one, or it may not be installed in the correct place.

>or it may not be installed in the correct place.

I'm thinking this might be it.

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri

/usr/share/applications
or
/usr/local/share/applications
for systemwide installation

~/.local/share/applications
for user installation.

Check if it's in any of those places, and if it isn't, get a copy of it from the source code and put in one of them (probably /usr/local).

Thanks for the help.

It's a plugin for the xfce panel. I'm trying to google where it's supposed to be installed but i cant find any info on it.

>Why is compiling on linux such a fucking hassle.

Linux is not useful as a consumer OS.

People get use out of it for servers but you should not be running it on a desktop/laptop, the people in this thread are deceiving you for ideological reasons that make no sense.

Windows:
doubleclick installer.exe after needing to search the web and download it, propably installes a toolbar with it

GNU/Linux:
install done

I'd say GNU/Linux is more consumer friendly.

/usr/local is where you want to put most system wide programs you compiled yourself.