/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>LG Stylo 2 Plus now available at Metro PCS, a 5.7 inch phablet with a fingerprint scanner for $220
gsmarena.com/lg_stylo_2_plus_now_available_at_metro_pcs_a_57_inch_phablet_with_a_fingerprint_scanner_for_220-news-19341.php

>New Xperia X Performance variant spotted on GFX Bench, could it be the Xperia X’s successor?
gsmarena.com/new_xperia_x_performance_variant_spotted_on_gfx_bench-news-19338.php

>Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 will have dual camera according to a teaser image
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4_will_have_dual_camera_according_to_a_teaser_image-news-19335.php

>Samsung's designed a slot that can take both UFS and microSD cards
gsmarena.com/samsungs_designed_a_slot_that_can_take_both_ufs_and_microsd_cards-news-19333.php

>Huawei unveils the Honor 8 with dual rear camera, 4GB of RAM
gsmarena.com/huawei_unveils_the_honor_8_with_dual_rear_camera_4gb_of_ram-news-19331.php

>Top-of-the-line Asus ZenFone 3 Deluxe to be the first phone powered by the Snapdragon 821 SoC
phonearena.com/news/Top-of-the-line-Asus-ZenFone-3-Deluxe-to-be-the-first-phone-powered-by-the-Snapdragon-821-SoC_id83087

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/news/LG-X-Power-launched-in-Canada-large-battery-accessible-price_id83078
gsmarena.com/first_actual_image_of_the_samsung_galaxy_note7_surfaces-news-19332.php
gizmochina.com/2016/07/11/nexus-marlin-sailfish-snapdragon-821-processor/
zukfans.eu/community/threads/zuk-z2-pro-bootloader-unlock.59/
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_399894.html
webkit.org/blog-files/color-gamut/
android.stackexchange.com/questions/51035/what-is-the-difference-between-usb-on-the-go-otg-and-usb-host-mode
youtube.com/watch?v=nKXLY-QQWAc
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FCYL6P6
aliexpress.com/store/342812
aliexpress.com/store/product/HKG/311331_32602840179.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/spg/609089_32606700622.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LHWATsaD8Ns
teamsuperluminal.org/mi4c-cyanogenmod-13/
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More stuff I couldn't fit in:
>LG X Power launched in Canada: large battery, accessible price
phonearena.com/news/LG-X-Power-launched-in-Canada-large-battery-accessible-price_id83078

>First actual image of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 surfaces
gsmarena.com/first_actual_image_of_the_samsung_galaxy_note7_surfaces-news-19332.php

>Nexus Marlin & Sailfish to likely use Snapdragon 821 processor
gizmochina.com/2016/07/11/nexus-marlin-sailfish-snapdragon-821-processor/

>Official bootloader unlock for Zuk Z2 Pro AND Normal Z2
zukfans.eu/community/threads/zuk-z2-pro-bootloader-unlock.59/

>The Pepsi P1S is cheapest full HD 5.5 inch phone

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_399894.html

If my S7 phone isn't rooted am I better off using Samsung's Find My Mobile instead of something like Cerberus for lost phone tracking? Is the Samsung one harder to remove?

do your smartphones have a wide gamut display?
webkit.org/blog-files/color-gamut/

i can see the webkit logo on my galaxy s6, but i see no difference in any other pics for some reason. does chrome on android even handle color management?

I used to have a HTC that I loved and now I have some fucking windows phone

This thing feels like a smartphone but its so fucking constricted in everything compared to the android phones that I've used before

Are all windows phones such shit?

Should I get a new flagship phone or use that money instead for a laptop for school? I figure I could do everything I would use a basic laptop for on my phone, and for everything else, I have my desktop.

Buying a new phone.
I want to be able to use it as serial console with a smal FTDI-board.
In my case is there any difference between USB-Host and USB On The Go?
If yes, which one is to preffer?

>school
depends

CS degree. I have a text editor installed on my current phone, no idea what I should do about IDEs.

>In my case is there any difference between USB-Host and USB On The Go?
android.stackexchange.com/questions/51035/what-is-the-difference-between-usb-on-the-go-otg-and-usb-host-mode

Same shit.

How do I flash a custom ROM on my old rooted phone?
Sony Xperia E dual
Android 4.1.1
Bootloader unlocked.

well yeah then you definitely need a laptop, unless you're planning to spend all day in your uni labs or something. wouldn't really need it for first year though

So I've had a one plus one for nearly 2 years now and the primary speaker (the one for phone calls without it being on speakers) is barely audible, which makes me have to talk on speakers on the phone.

What's a good smartphone with a good battery and storage? I was looking at huawei with some smartphone that lasted 2 days, which sounded good enough for me since most of my previous smartphones barely last 7 hours ok

I own an xperia L (slightly newer), but the steps should be about the same for you too

>root, unlock bootloader, install a recovery
>then install the latest custom kernel for your OS (it will install another recovery, SELinux capable)
>wipe everything and install whatever ROM you want

I'm going to get this Should I get black, gold, or white?

Even if I already have a desktop?

>tfw bought a s7 for Pokémon go

How did I do Sup Forums?

Double botnet whammy.

still depends. if you're a university student, it'd probably be better use of your time to have a laptop than going to a library and searching for computers. maybe you can wait few weeks into the term to see?

> I own an xperia L (slightly newer), but the steps should be about the same for you too

> >root, unlock bootloader, install a recovery
> >then install the latest custom kernel for your OS (it will install another recovery, SELinux capable)
> >wipe everything and install whatever ROM you want
Where do I find recovery and kernels?

Black unless your'e gay or a girl.

white one is always the fastes. just like red cars

youtube.com/watch?v=nKXLY-QQWAc

That battery life. Anyone has one of these? Need to know it if's good

I'm not at home right now, so I can't help you out much, but check out the Xperia E page on the XDA forums, you should find something.

I'm bringing my desktop with me and putting it in my dorm though so I wouldn't really have to look for computers. Couldn't I work on my projects in my dorm?

Just got a S7 Edge, what should I be doing to get rid of the bloat and debotnet? It's an exynos model so I'm wondering how difficult it's going to be to install CM on, if that's even possible.

What's the current 'safe choice' for custom Android roms? Is it still Cyanogen?

Haven't used an Android phone for a few years.

CyanogenMod and OmniRom,yeah..

Paranoid was also revived a month ago, check it out if your phone supports it.

Are chink phones like the Le1 Pro just a meme? The specs are legit but if the wifi and battery are absolute trash then whats the point?

is the moto g 2016 as shit asI hear? some people saying its pretty slow, any decent alternatives?

You definitely can. Just depends on your lifestyle and habits. Seems like you already have an answer

redmi note 3

I'm still quite satisfied with my Nexus 5, but the Nexus Sailfish does look promising. I just hope it won't be poop.

windows phone took the worst parts of iOS (walled garden, no customization) and the worst parts of Android (no updates, shit hardware, unpolished apps) and smooshed it together in a shitty package. Then they murdered Nokia out of what appeared to be pure fucking spite.

>tfw get excited that huawei is in the prime day sale
>compare the specs and the two phones i was interested in aren't even close to my 2 year old opo
well thats a bummer. i wanted a new phone within a decent price range but not for such a downgrade in performance.

>and the worst parts of Android
But WP doesn't run like fucking hot garbage.
No apps is the only thing that kills WP, but boy does it kill it.

Today's the last day where I can get the Apollo Lite for $199, do you think it's worth it?
It's on presale so can't find any good reviews yet, but the specs are much better than the Redmi Note 3, for example.
I'm also not sure if there will ever be custom roms for this thing.

>Just got it. S7 for $384 AUD ($290 USD), sealed box with warranty, no it's not stolen.
>Probably the best deal I'll ever get in my life.
Another Aussie here, where on earth did you get it from?

>frag my old moto g
>go to best buy to look for a quickie replacement
>out of the moto x pure
>out of the xperia c4
>they have something called the alcatel pixi 4
>SD210, 2GB/16GB, dual sim, sd, 6" 720p IPS display
>damn near stock 6.0.1
>$150
>fuck it
>camera is a complete shitpile
>could probably snap the whole phone in half with one hand
>otherwise the phone is pretty good, better than blushit
>will likely be just like my old g, a cheap stopgap that winds up getting kept until it breaks
it's a nice phone but it really illustrates how android is just fucked as a platform because high margin flagships are getting killed by low price commodity shit that has reasonable functionality for a fraction of the cost

Any cheap phones on the Amazon Prime Day for sale? Canadian?

I want to buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro but everything seems so overwhelming with the software aspects. Global roms, vendor roms, have to unlock bootlegger which takes 2 weeks etc.

I just wanna use the fucking phone straight outta the box with some chink bloatware and with app store working.

Android has been okay for years now, albeit still obscenely RAM hungry and shitty about long lists, but manufacturers fuck it up with bloat. Maybe N will help fix the RAM hogging issue and squash some longstanding performance bugs, but shit like touchsnizz will continue to drag it down.

The noapps thing on WP was really weird, though. It had a good development environment, although somewhat limited, and the attach rate for paid appz was pretty high due to a thirsty audience, but almost nobody would put an app out for it, or they'd put out garbage. I almost believe the conspiracy theories about Apple and Google paying the big devs to not dev for WP.

>have to unlock bootlegger
Heh

If you're on prime, and a UK bro you can get an average chinkphone on Amazon
>amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FCYL6P6

user pls ;_;

You can use the vendor rom out of the box if you really want to. but then you won't get updates and you'll probably have some chinky spyware on the phone.

Flashing the global rom takes 10 minutes and you don't need to unlock the bootloader.

You can also ask the shop to do if for you if you're buying from aliexperss and then you really won't have to do anything.

I have to know, was it intentional?

Nexus 5X or Huawei P8 lite and save some cash?

No, I am poor and do not live in the americas, I am not waiting for a new phone.

What good compact phone should I get lads?

Sounds pretty good then, user.

Apparently this one is the way to go aliexpress.com/store/342812

Does the app store work correctly on this as well?

Should I get this 5x? This is the best price I've seen and my Nexus 5 is fucked.
Has anyone bought stuff from Kogan before?

haha no i only remember briefly reading about it. Not too good with phones lol

What is a good phone for around 200€? Also is there a way to unlock Japanese iphones with softbank lock?

Well you made a pretty sublte joke unintentionally then. It's actually called bootloader, but you were talking about chinkshit so I guess bootlegger is correct too in a way.

Kogan is fine. They recently bought out dicksmith so it all comes outta the same place now.

Yes. top one is good if your'e in Europe.
Ask them to flash the official global rom in the order and they'll do it for you with no additional cost.
Yes the google store works no problems.

I accidentally used an american RUU on my phone wiping my radio.img so now I have no cellular data how fucked am I?

Would you happen to know who is good for Australia? If not this one seems good too.

Thanks for the help user.

iphone se

wish I were kidding but there's fuckall else for compacts aside from the Z5C, which is prone to fucking itself like any other Sony phone

Motorola Moto G 3rd gen
Xiaomi Mi 4

Both supported by Cyanogenmod

Fuck, the last time I thought about it I came to the same conclusion and it pains me.
Thing is I have a Nexus 6P right now, which is good, but I just can't into big screens anymore.
Now the Z5C caught my eye, but I had a Z3 last year and I know how Sony is. Good cameras crippled by abysmal and terribly locked down software, pretty bad UI and custom roms are rare and work like shit anyway (and ruin the camera performance even further).
And the iPhone SE which is objectively the best compact device nowadays but fuck iOS.
Guess I'll stick with the 6P and see if the next small Nexus is any better than the 5X.

Don't think there's customs fees in Australia in those price ranges so just go with the cheapest.

aliexpress.com/store/product/HKG/311331_32602840179.html

>fucking itself
What?

Also the z3c has the best battery life around.

>aliexpress.com/store/product/HKG/311331_32602840179.html

thanks!

See Z3C and Z5C are amazing devices held back by really poor software design.

Is this any good? Already have a phone but ordered it because it's only 60$ with ads on lock screen from Amazon.

720p, 2 gigs ram, LTE and a nice aluminum frame with a curved glass screen.

aliexpress.com/store/product/spg/609089_32606700622.html

If you don't want that horrible gold color.

I should also ask, what's the word on the 2016 Nexus device?
Is it a waste to get a 5X now when there's another device around the corner?

G4 with ads from amazon, is this good, does anyone know how to remove them or if CM13 is an option?

>Is it a waste to get a 5X now when there's another device around the corner?
Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=LHWATsaD8Ns

afaik they're excepted in September

expected

>$400 for a nexus device that'll be obsolete in few months
>cheap
lol

Thinking of buying a G4 on Offerup. Anyone have experience being stuff off of there?

Thats not about the G4

It works on the G4 as well. you literally just need to change the launcher and lockscreen.

The ads can be disabled with a free 3rd party lock screen.

fellas
how stable are custom ROMs support on Xiaomi devices? Especially asking for Mi4c and maybe redmi 3s

Thanks thats all i needed, but if possible ill install CM anyways

most use xiaomi.eu global rom
its custom but its build on china dev
so its reliable
CM13 is popular but reports of bugs are there, still in beta so no wonder and since they need to do whole android 6 work, not just tinker with official version
then I saw resurrection remix being talked about few times

I am on the eu global...

Mi4c has a very good CM13 port.

teamsuperluminal.org/mi4c-cyanogenmod-13/

What said is true but for the RN3P.

R3s not so much interest.

Yeah I'm not a fan of iOS either. Someone on the Android side of things has to step up to the fucking plate now that Sony's mobile strategy has shit itself entirely. But I suppose they can't because premium compact is a tiny niche and they're all losing too much money to take that risk.

Not to mention the possibility that the screen and glass back will crack for no reason, or when the phone overheats. And it's just pathetic that the same Sony camera hardware that does just fine in other phones has a habit of overheating and shutting down in Sony phones.

Yeah, hopefully with the iPhone SE being pretty successful afaik, some Android OEMs might put some more effort into good compact phones starting at the end of the year or next year. Then again maybe not.

>Rocking a Zenfone 2 right now
>Can't play Pokemon Go
>Will probably lose support on even more apps over the coming months
>New Nexus around the corner

What do I do? 5X now or not? What are the odds that Go will support more devices in the near future?

Huawei y3 II 4G version

does it have Gyroscope ?

any horrible issues I can expect with Mi4c?

I have never worked with MIUI, so I don't really know what to expect. Why would I want to stay with MIUI and why would I want to go for CM?

especially interested in the battery life and removal of bloatware/everything chinese, really.

// here's a grill as a thanks for your help

Why do you want to go with the Mi4c in the first place instkiead of the superior RN3P?
SD650>SD808
Bigger battery
SD slot
Tons of roms

Mi4c is an old model, Mi5s/c is probably launching soon as well and it will be deprecated.

MiUi is an iOS clone based on Android. watch some videos on YT to see how it looks. but you can get rid of it and the Chinese botnet completely if you hate it.

instead**

literally the only reason is that it's 5.5" and I want 5" phone max. I don't really mind being deprecated considering I still can have newest CM and I was fine with droid 4.0 until now.

mi5s/c are going to be 5.5 afaik.

gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

Xiaomi Mi 4c
52h

Battery is quite meh and SD808 is known to throttle like it's big brother under heavy load.

Other than that I guess it's ok, but nothing special.

So guys, what should i do with all the phones that i'll rob from the
Pokemon GO FUCK YOURSELF UP manchildren who will serve themselves up on the platter?
Any suggestions?

Don't buy a phone for pokemon go.
It's really nothing special.
If your device support "Ingress" just play that instead because it's literally the same.

sorry for the annoying question but what are the best bang for your buck phones in the market right now?

xiaomi redmi 3
xiaomi redmi note 3

Depends.
When i got my LG, it was on a retarded great sale price of like €40 off, and the original price was around €200.
Tell what country you are from and maybe some faggot from the same country who follows price and sales fluctuations can tell you.

oh good point. I'm in Spain.

This is absolutely the sort of question this thread is made for, Anonino

heh sorry, I havent posted in here in years and I remember everyone complaining about people wanting to be "hand held". Couple years ago I wouldve been told to read the OP and fuck off. Glad to see this board's mellowing out :^)

Looking for a new phone around the $400-450 USD mark. Would prefer a 5.5 inch screen and am living in New Zealand so some options may be limited.