/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Casio-A500WA-1ACF-Classic-Silver-Tone-Watch/dp/B00S4EKCOS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468315150&sr=8-4&keywords=casio world time
amazon.com/Casio-AE1200WHD-1A-Stainless-Steel-Digital/dp/B0094B79CI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468315150&sr=8-3&keywords=casio world time
ebay.com/itm/172269863004?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
youtu.be/RIL1BZvBk-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any good guide on digital watches?

Yes, me.
But I have a huge test that I'm studying for so I don't have time to type up a guide.
Gimme a budget and style.

I would love some watch this style, of course silver.

>amazon.com/Casio-A500WA-1ACF-Classic-Silver-Tone-Watch/dp/B00S4EKCOS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468315150&sr=8-4&keywords=casio world time

>amazon.com/Casio-AE1200WHD-1A-Stainless-Steel-Digital/dp/B0094B79CI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468315150&sr=8-3&keywords=casio world time

The former has a more comfy bracelet
You could also try to hunt down a Seiko x WIRED MGS5 watch, but have fun finding one.

thoughts

>that the thing can adjust itself automatically, 6 fucking times a day, or on demand.
>How could you possibly think this is a gimmick?
Actually syncing more than once a day is a fucking gimmick.
Once every day is plenty, more than that is just an excuse to swindle more shekels out of autists.

recommend me non-meme watch for 100$

I just don't, I'd rather wear something a bit more subtle, it's not as ugly as I made it out to be but for a while it was the meme of the week and it just wasn't up to the hype.

most of the memes in that price range are memes for a reason. Also the thing about meme watches is that you don't really see them in the wild very much, just on watch threads and watch forums

what is base non-meme watch price then? 500?

as stupid as this might sound I feel like a watch should a self contained portable clock and not be assisted by external signals.

I'd still buy and wear one as a tool but there's something lost with a radio controlled watch.

I mean that rule is generally true at most price ranges, depending on what you consider to be memes.

at 500$ you can pick an obscure microbrand with a miyota 9015 or ETA 2824 and it will probably be good and not overly common on /wt/

but you still have to deal with meme movements.

basically I am saying you can't really write something off for being a "meme", because just about everything is a meme these days.

Start with a little more specific criteria for what you want out of a watch, maybe specific types, features or brands that you want excluded.

Every personal timepiece is adjusted to a more accurate clock, it has been like this since the middle ages. A radio watch just does the syncing for you.

this is true but I think for the same reason I like mechanical and automatic watches, I dislike radio watches for being less "organic" for lack of a better word.

I realize it's irrational, I don't have any real beef against them.

Vostok Amphibia 420059/Casio f91-w/Casio 5600

Tissot visodate/Seiko sarb033/Seiko cocktail time/Hamilton thin-o-matic/Seiko skx007

I am the baddest cunt to frequent these threads

*biggest

That as well, my shoulders are very broad

A few of the tubbier posters may edge me out for biggest cunt

I'm looking for a watch that either links to my Android phone for Google maps or can do it standalone. I'm terrible with directions and can't look at my phone when on my motorcycle. I don't care about any other features as i would only use it when riding.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a cellphone mount?

What do you think? I was going to purchase it later this week.

lmao i have exactly the same watch except it's by seiko

so a completely different watch?

What's wrong with fossil watches?

A much shorter list would be what's right with them. Observe:

My bike is a ducati monster 796 and has pretty much no wind shield. Also my phone's battery life sucks with GPS. I can stream videos from hulu longer then I can use Google maps.

All of the main android watches can do that.

Maybe I overestimated a bit. They're similar though

Wish I didn't have eyes right about now.

Also the Pebble watches do it as well. Lower resolution but longer battery life.

I would have your same qualms with regard to mechanical and HAQ watches, but for digitals, and feature-packed watches, it doesn't bother me.

I'm looking at all the sites and other then looking at messaging and fitness trackers I can't find a single one to mention turn by turn with Google maps or anything like that. Could you link?

There are many, many ways of making a chronograph look like shit, Fossil seem to have ticked every fucking box in this regard.

Also:
>sub-second increment dial on a quartz watch

I agree pretty much entirely. I guess radio band is just a feature I can take or leave, it wouldn't be the deciding feature that would make or break a purchase on a digital watch.

worst edition you could possibly get
good job

$8 for a shit edition of a shit book by a shit author

>look at me guys i'm such a special snowflake i think pynchon is a shit author
end you're kys yourself :^)

Ah yes.

The black-on-black-with-black approach. Indubitably the lume is also black exuding darkness at might.

No day.
No date.
Small dials but huge bezel.

i consider this a failure.

>pinecone
Pff, this is what a real masterpiece looks like.
>I'm terrible with directions
How do people like you even exist?
How many variants of that pic do you have to be able to post it all the required times in the same thread?

Damn bruv that shit hot af mane

>exactly the same watch

Skagen owner reporting in

Seiko "Sea Urchin" SNZF Pepsi vs black. Which looks nicer?

black

Picking this up Friday when I get back into town.

Unfortunately, I have to be in Las Vegas most of the week. Making the most of it and checking out some Patek's at Wynn & Co.

ebay.com/itm/172269863004?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I like this dial but damn, $150. Nope. It doesn't even have the original bracelet. It's 37mm, though.

please do not pick that up

Making room for 2 more:

- Seiko SARB 035
- Orient Star Retrograde WZ0081

Fellow Monster brethren.

I would have never imagined I would be envious of other people's wrists before getting into watches.

fresh pic lads

shit not that one

Cant decide if this is ugly or not

Some grand seikos look fantastic but for the price I would rather have some brand prestige and flash

2big4u

>brand prestige
What does people know about rolex anyway? Nothing.

>What does people know

retard spotted

>brand prestige
You mean marketing? If you mean the actual history of the brand Seiko is older and has more technological advances under their belt.

That's a mistake I'll keep making from time to time even though I know it's a plural noun.

That it's the most expensive.
A yellow gold day date is obviously worth at least ten times as much as a Patek 5374P or 530A. Tags are nice because bourne and that guy in breaking bad wears one.

The Monaco looks nicer the older I get

>patek
>no hacking
It's shit and you know it.

Looks ugly as shit. How can Seiko expect itself to be taken seriously as a prestigious brand if they keep churning out turds like this?

This is such a low tier meme

Do any of you autists sleep with your watches on?

It arrived today, it seems so small compared to my SKX. I'm not really digging it on the leather so I might get a bracelet for it.

yes I sleep with my f91-w

How about some blue sailcloth?

That could work, where's a good place to get one? Or is there decent ones for a reasonable price on eBay?

Sure.
I feel naked otherwise.

Not under normal circumstances

Yes. I only have beaters so I generally sleep with whatever watch I have on, and if I'm wearing my Anchor II I'll shower with it too.

when I get something worth money but still sporty and durable I genuinely don't know if I'll sleep with it or not.

Yeah I wouldn't put a leather strap on a dive watch.

I often sleep naked. Only sometimes do I wear a watch though

I think that's why it was in the sale to be honest. I'm not a fan of leather on a diver either.

I might put it on the super engineer bracelet I got for the Pulsar, or perhaps get a blue nato.

It's beautiful, if I'd have the money I'd buy it.

Either of those would look good. I have an engineer bracelet on my Orient Mako. Cost almost as much as the watch, but it looks great.

Probably the perfect watch to sleep with.

Yeah, Tridents are nice.

>all dive watches
>Why.jpg
That aside, how do you like the Fortis Marinemaster? Also which mesh straps are those?

Divers are fucking awesome, I could easily enjoy a collection of nothing but.

Someone had a Pelagos for 2k on eBay, should I?

I could understand a collection of iconic/cool divers, but all of those seem to occupy the same tool-watch/sportsman role.

Instead of buying multiple new mid-ranges, get some variety in there, get something like a Seiko 6309-7040, or save for a submariner.

Kinda looks like one of the newer speed masters

No wonder /fa/ has such shit taste

>silver/titanium band
>gold/bronze face

Plebian/10

I don't care for the digital sky walker

Go for the Mark II, HB-SIA, or Racing. I love my Speedmaster Racing. Sky walker is my least favorite

I concur

youtu.be/RIL1BZvBk-4

That feature is native to anything that supports android wear.

I've used it on my Pebble before while trying to find various places in the city while walking.

I'm not sure how effective it is when driving at 80mph down the highway though

Stop whoring for attention on each thread trying to justify your extremely poor purchase.

You were dumb, deal with it. Cancel the order.

That watch is shit for 3k, it isnt even solar powered or automatic

Any dial that is not black is the wrong colour dial

THE HOLY TRINITY

THOSE FUCKING WARTS

REMOVE THEM

I WANT TO VOMIT

Looks trashy

Like a watch you would by at a chinaman store for 5$

Sicko sumo her

So...

TGV = Patek
Fatarico = Audemars
Archie = Vacheron

why are 90% of watch enthusiasts horribly overweight?