Now that the dust has settled:

Now that the dust has settled:

Is upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 still worth the effort and botnet?

Other urls found in this thread:

petri.com/microsofts-enterprise-windows-10-subscription-service-will-start-7-month
changewindows.org/build/next/desktop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If it's not your machine then go for it

Are you a gamer? Yes, also kill yourself when done
Are you not? Then no, install gentoo

It's alright, I quite like it aside from its intrusiveness but we hashed it out at work and we're doing a phased rollout as and when we buy new machines. going through the hassle of rolling out upgrades isn't worth it.

>Are you a gamer? Yes, also kill yourself when done
this. some faggot plays fps games in the lecture hall every lecture. he thinks he's cool or something, but he said "linux is the operating system hackers use"

Who the fucks plays games in a lecture hall.

What sort of shitty uni do you go to user?

If you can stand forced driver and regular updates with bad quality control and your pc waking up from 3 am in the morning for no goddamn reason, sure.

Didn't have any problems upgrading
Glad I didn't follow Sony's terrible upgrading 'advice' though

What'd they do?

I found a way to stop all spyware in windows 10

Not now, why? Stay on Win7 as long as it works. There's going to be at least one major upgrade after Redstone, so you'll be able to choose.

it's worth it for the fixed env variable editor alone

You just need to cut off everything that remote desktop and telemetry is dependent on I have been working on this for months and it's starting to get better by the day.

>upgrading

or you could just use an operating system which doesn't spy on everything you do.

At some point windows 7 will be no more I'm just trying to prepare for the forced ass rape that's coming

Worth it for DX12 alone.

Most of the stuff on the list is still running

>muh fud

Prove it doesn't

From 7? If you want 8.1 features without its different start menu, then sure. If you want to play games with Dx12 or use newest Intel CPUs (sucessor of Skylake is supposed to work only under Win10), then you are kinda forced to.

I honestly think that getting Enterprise/Edu is worth the effort, but Im using Pro at work right now and its not that bad. MS still get my "basic" telemetry, tho (Group Policy claims that selecting 0 equals to selecting 1 and MS reminds that GP overwrites registry). Killing track service would probably result in those infamous thousands connection attempts. At least MS claims that you can disable data flow in case of Enterprise/Edu and I have my legit copy of Edu.

I will keep my Win 7 installed anyway, just like I kept Win XP along with 7, in case of some software that could refuse to work properly.

It is okay OS, from what I saw so far. Require way too much work to set up it correctly by Group Policy editor, among other things and thats not good. After that, everything looks like all this effort to reduce and stop data flow really works. At least searching by pressing windows key finally works fast enough to make it usable. Funny enough, my co-worker have Home edition and her laptop use search function awfully slow, probably due to searching by web (I disabled that in GP editor).

Oh and at least I can say so on Sup Forums, without being called "Pajeet" right away, because I dared to like Win 10. Win 7 seems more comfortable, but I was working on it since 6 years...

My only problem is choosing Enterprise or Pro.

Upgrading to W10 will erase my personal data like passwords and pics?

No, vulkan will work on windows 7 and will give you an experience equal to DirectX 12.

Enterprise let you officially cut off from MS. Pro dont. If you would take a look at Enterprise-only features and they wouldnt tell you anything, chances are that this would be the only argument.

I used to read up on the lecture notes before class, highlight areas I didn't get then alternate between making OneNote notes, asking questions as and when i needed to and playing Doom.

If you have 8/8.1, you don't really have a reason not to upgrade.
If you have 7, don't bother upgrading.

Would Zen and future AMD CPUs works too?

Because, you know, Intel's Kaby Lake will be Win 10 only.

AMD has not (yet) announced of future hardware that will work on windows 10 only. So far, it's just Intel we know of.

The dust is never settled because this board exists

It has some nice features over 7 like hiberboot for faster booting, desktop spaces, DirectX 12, etc... but it has some annoying niggles (the update thing if not on pro, default settings are a privacy nightmare). I'd use Spybot Antibeacon to set and maintain your settings relating to privacy (freeware).

I think the main thing is the support lifecycle. Windows 7 support ends in early 2020, Windows 10 has a much longer support lifespan.

If your computer was built in the past four years - then I would upgrade. If not - Microsoft is letting some end-of-life components with no real driver support on 10 upgrade. My Mom's computer with a Core 2 Duo/4GB DDR2/AMD Radeon HD3850 got upgraded and it was fucking horrible. The chipset support wasn't there and AMD didn't make real drivers for Win10, it only had basic drivers from Windows update. Ended up building her a new PC with a skylake family processor.

You can opt out of driver updates from Windows update and I'd definitely recommend it.

He needs to upgrade before July 29th or the upgrade to ten won't be free (unless he's going to pirate it). Once the digital entitlement is parked from the ten upgrade, he can revert to 7 and decide if he wants to install 10 clean at a later point.

prove you are not a moronic fuckhead.

spoilers you can't.

>You can opt out of driver updates from Windows update and I'd definitely recommend it.
No. You can't. You can stop it from automatically looking for drivers from update when you connect a new device but you can't stop it from downloading it with the other updates.

>Never install driver software from Windows Update
Think you missed that option, user.

It does exactly what I told you and not what you think

Choosing to run a KMS exe everyday but defer or hide updates as I want, or having a true legit activation with forces updates?

Can you indefinitely defer or even hide hotfixes and driver updates on Pro?

>the only argument
Aren't 2 the differences? Telemetry and disable updates?

I have 8.1
I won't upgrade because it looks the best IMO, outperforms 10 is bench marks and doesn't have built in telemetry, I haven't installed those updates

Even with Enterprise/Edu?

Yes. But apparently the anniversary update comes with a checkbox to exclude drivers from updates so there's that

petri.com/microsofts-enterprise-windows-10-subscription-service-will-start-7-month

"They're not going to it subscription based", they said

>But I can turn off Windows 10's spying!

Let's just bust this myth right now.

For one, you can't turn off absolutely everything in the OS that spies on you.

Secondly, attempting to do so will often break Windows Update.

And third, new major updates will either not install at all and give you errors, or these large updates will revert everything you did to disable the spying.

changewindows.org/build/next/desktop

TL;DR wow, it's fucking nothing

You can turn off verious things, until the only data being send is device/machine ID and device class. Basically info for MS that PC with Win 10 key activated exist and thats all.

Tell me what Im missing.

How that affect Home/Pro/Edu users?

Also, article doesnt state what would happen to existing owners of Enterprise licenses.

>It is okay OS, from what I saw so far. Require way too much work to set up it correctly by Group Policy editor
this
>ent/n
>build gp policy
>make it as hard as possible, impossibru to take on an entire governmental agency, delusional even.

this is like committing a murder now, even if you plan it perfectly, you still planned it and enough circumstantial evidence that you planned it might not put you in jail, but you will be socially fucked, even more than now.

Ltsb n, faggot

If you play games then it's sorta a must.

Otherwise go Linux. Even if it's some easy to install mainstream shit like Ubuntu it's still way better. Personally I have win10 on my home PC and dual boot it with Linux. I only actually use win10 if I am playing games. Otherwise I just use Linux.

>Now that the dust has settled:
Well micro$oft now give up trying to force wangblowzz 10 down my throat?

Ltsb N

It's not FUD. It's a fact.