Now that the dust has settled. Is this the worst video card ever made?

Now that the dust has settled. Is this the worst video card ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/N480GTX_GTX_480_Lightning/1.html
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Evaluating-ASUS-GTX-960-Strix
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I love this meme.

When you compare it to a 1060, it's really really awful.

That's not even going into all the power issues with the 480.

It's a shitty card for anyone with a 970 or 390. It's a solid update for anyone using some flagships from 2011/2012.

Only delusional retards thought that it'll be more powerful than a 390x / GTX 980.

It's not even the worst 480 ever made.

At launch it already outperforms the GTX 970 while its design focus was being as cheap as possible to produce.
Comes near Hawaii/Grenada based GPUs while only having half the ROPs. Its already fairly impressive, and it will only get better as time goes on. Its currently the highest perf/dollar GPU on the market.

Its also one of the most beautiful dies ever designed.

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html

That was actually a pretty good card. The only thing "wrong" with it was high power consumption, and that doesn't seem to bother people who use R9 390Xs and shit.

290Xs and 390Xs didn't catch on fire.

What power issues? Nvidia cards have been pulling almost 300W from the pci slot since forever.

>good card
>only thing

you kidding? it's what started the housefire meme

It had top performance unlike amd housefires.

The power issues where the 480 actually kills motherboards, it's pretty bad.

Neither did 480.
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/N480GTX_GTX_480_Lightning/1.html

The "housefire" meme which originated from the 480 was re-purposed after 480 stopped being relevant in the GTX 5xx series when nvidia released a shit driver as they occasionally do.

It was never about the card burning or anything like that. It was about the incredibly high temperatures that the reference card had. 390X reference, RX 480 reference etc all have nasty temperatures like the GTX 480.

>amd uses power

I love this meme

New drivers fixed the 480's power issues

But when some detailed reviews prove the 1060 outperforms the 480 while staying in specification, it's over for the 480.

If AMD allowed the third parties to release custom cooler designs to begin with, they might have been further ahead. But they haven't, and supply has been horribly short. At this rate, everyone's going to have to wait until late August until the stores have enough stock. By then, EVGA and all the other big players will have polished 1060 cards ready to go.

Proof of dead motherboards would be nice.
>inb4 muh PCI spec

Good thing nobody ever buys a reference card.

So a 390X runs about 10c cooler than a 1080.

Keep crying bitchboy.

Okay show me the thousands of dead motherboards Rx 480s killed. Also show me the thousands of dead motherboards GTX 960s killed.

I'm not crying, you're the one implying that reference cards define a product.

Paid nvidia shills are super desperate this release cycle. They don't have anything to prove the 480 isn't the best card for everyone except nvidia manchildren so they're firmly hanging on to some weird power draw meme that was never an issue and also fixed days ago.

Rough times for paid shills on here

>New drivers fixed the 480's power issues

Not true, even the new drivers the 480 power is fucked

sauce

Sorry you're clearly a noob, Fermi was the original and the only housefire meme, only kids with mom's money try to claim otherwise.

Nope in fact as side effect Rx 480s with the newest drivers get more FPS.

960 never killed any motherboards because its power is fine.

AMD 480 on the other hand has killed countless motherboards, we don't even know how many. The lawsuits are coming.

lol, this is hilarious

got any other jokes for the class

Literally what I said. Might want to clean your glasses.

Check pcper, the 480 is still overdrawing on both the pcie slot and the 6-pin.

480 power problem still not fixed, honestly the 480 is just fundamentally flawed.

>AMD 480 on the other hand has killed countless motherboards
Proof, or your claims are nothing but bullshit.
Even a couple of fucking forum posts would suffice at this point.

>960 never killed any motherboards because its power is fine.
You call drawing almost 300W from the fucking pci sloy "fine"? Seriously man?

>AMD 480 on the other hand has killed countless motherboards, we don't even know how many. The lawsuits are coming.
If this is true then Nvidia will soon go bankrupt to from lawsuits since their shitty cards have been drawing more than the PCI-express spec since forever. OR you're trying to make a problem out of something that isn't because you're buttblasted Nvidia cards suck ass in DX12.

>You call drawing almost 300W from the fucking pci sloy "fine"? Seriously man?
No, he's arguing that the 480 is defective not that it's fine.

>guys check the crappy forum me and my nvidia owning friends post on to bash ati products. you know the one with the headline that says "AMD Radeon RX 480 Power Consumption Concerns Fixed with 16.7.1 Driver". Yeah that one. They'll show you the 480 is totally screwed man.

see and

960 doesn't go over spec

480 is literally the only card ever made to have such power problems, that's why the 480 is killing motherboards

At this point Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to exist

It's just Playstation converts who believe every jewish marketing tactic used on them.

Every single thing Nvidia owners bash AMD for doing, Nvidia has done it previously and done it much worse.

This is why I buy AMD products, I don't support scumbags.

>double spacing
Hi Redd.it!

show me some dead motherboards senpai

you guys should have like giant collage pics of these fried PCI slots by now.

can I see just one though?

Again with the baseless "it kills motherboards" claim.
Where is your evidence?

>doesn't even know what double spacing is

hi retard

Google "480 dead pcie slot"

Tons of dead motherboards from the 480 going over the power limit

You are creating this thread literally every day. How much they pay you and how can I join?

welcome to Sup Forums. It's this same shit every day.

>But when some detailed reviews prove the 1060 outperforms the 480 while staying in specification, it's over for the 480.
A card at a nearly $100 higher price point outperforms the 480? Who'd have thought!
>B-but muh MSRP
Meaningless, the 1060 won't hit MSRP for at least a year or two.

So do think Nvidia is paying for this shill campaign to distract from them not supporting the Vive on the 1080 with displayport?

Because that's the most jewish thing I've ever heard. This is probably why we keep hearing about PCI slots I bet.

>960 doesn't go over spec
see It almost pulls 300W from the pci slot. Probably more when overclocked.

So you can find any either eh, lol.

No

960 doesn't go over spec, see: pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480/Evaluating-ASUS-GTX-960-Strix

480 is literally the only graphics card that has these power problems, that's why it's killing so many motherboards. I don't know how AMD was so stupid to have created a card that has so many problems.

I still see no proof of these alleged "killed motherboards".
If there's so many, you should be able to link one story, right?

Tons of dead motherboards caused by the 480 power issue right on the front page

>amdrones still can't grasp the difference between spikes and average

Google "480 dead pcie slot"

It's not pretty, I don't know why AMD released a card that will actually destroy the other components in your system.

Link to a forum post. Now.

Christ you're determined to not actually link anything.

Wait for it. Now you're going to post that one guy on the AMD forums.

>AMDummies don't know how to use Google

wow

That's because AMD doesn't care about PC enthusiasts. I always buy Nvidia cards so I can play my games the way they're meant to be played!

Burden of proof is still on you, idiot.

Me too brother

just one guy on the AMD forums and a bazillion articles saying that "many gamers" have such problems with these cards but only linking to the the one guy on the AMD forums.

I need to upgrade from a 750TI but I am lowermiddleclass.conf and I need something in the $250 range. Any suggestions?

GTX 1060 would be perfect for you

Your graphs shows that 960 draws around 55W on average and 480 draws 80W through the pcie.
>amdfags in charge of reading graphs

Looks like shite onii-senpai

The spikes on the 960 are higher.

But the average on the 480 is higher, and sustained load is what kills motherboards.

the best for the price range.

That would be the GTX 970 right now, or the GTZ 1060 very soon.

That graph is irrelevant now because the new driver brought PCIe power draw down to within spec without sacrificing performance

nice shilling, shill
970 costs 100bux more.

Since when have facts mattered to AMD fanboys?

Clearly never, as they still buy vastly inferior products.

it actually got a 3% performance boost. Not to mention they under volt pretty nicely. But I purposely tried to kill my motherboard with this card and I didn't have any luck maybe it has to be a cheaper board.

Fuck off shitty shill/troll

It is hardly the worst video card.

It has nothing on shit-tier crap like GTX 465 (shitty, binned version of the infamous GTX 480), ATI RAGE MAXX (broken drivers under NT4/2000), S3 Savage (broken drivers and hardware), Voodoo Rush (broken 2D support and inferior 3D performance to Voodoo 1)

Geforce 4 MX family takes the prize of shitty rebranded POS that tried to sell themselves as DX8 compliant via brand name (Geforce 4!) but were really DX7-tier hardware

GTX 480 wasn't that great. It was a massive disappointment like ATI's 2900XT.

GTX 580 was what GTX 480 should have been at launch.

>Running Metro Last Light @ 4K
>On a $200 GPU
I see your problem right there.

No, it is a pretty cheap upgrade with decent performance all in all.

Some of the 1080 buyers are rather vocal and feel a need to justify their purchase.

Worse cards:
Geforce FX (terribad attempt for a DX9 compliant card)
S3 Savage 2000 (non-functional T&L kekfest card)
S3 Virge (the world's first decelerator card. man S3 made so much lemons lol)
ATi Rage Maxx (only works in Windows 98/Me)

Yup, these are the dregs of the dregs

It's pretty bad, I'd say the 480 has one of the worst launches I've ever seen.

970 is actually the same price as the 480 now

>I'm right but I don't know if I'm right
ok

This. Come on, it has to be great being paid for shitposting here.

>the 390 is faster

Or maybe the 480 is just a really shitty card

>Not understanding what a watt is

you tell me OP?

Nvidia is more """efficient"""

Is anyone else tired of this meme? I find this to be a huge selling point that people always point out, yet were talking literally a light bulb here, between AMD/Nvidia.

I use tabs

480 under delivered more than any other thats for sure

why do stock coolers even exist? i can understand having one to show to the audience but why cuck your customers for a few weeks?

Friendly reminder that if you bought anything AMD related since 2012 odds are you're a subhuman supporting Islam and terrorism.

I have an AMD APU, i'm gonna be so happy with my meme card nitro

Reviews? What reviews?

>Mid-range card with 8GB of VRAM even on the 4GB models performs at or above the level of the the previous generations "sweet spot" and comes coupled with amazing DX12/Vulkan performance for future proofing.

How?

480 is basically just a 390 with lower power and more issues, it didn't add anything to the market

How?

Explain

It's literally a 970 without the VRAM issue but it'll kill your motherboard instead. Very disappointing for 14nm.

- Same performance as 390
- Same price as 390

480 was basically pointless