MIT anonymity network promises to be more secure than Tor

engadget.com/2016/07/11/mit-anonymity-network-more-secure-than-tor/

>As crucial as Tor's anonymity network can be for keeping your online activity private, it's not flawless -- a motivated hacker can compromise legions of users, whether they're crooks or privacy-minded innocents. Researchers from MIT and EPFL might have a better way. They've developed an anonymity network, Riffle, that promises to maintain privacy so long as at least one server is safe.

>The secret is the use of a mixnet, where servers switch the order of messages as they're received, but without using relatively inefficient public keys. Instead, Riffle relies on a verifiable shuffle (where you shake up a message's encryption but can verify the changes) across all servers for the initial connection, and authentication encryption (where you prove the validity of the encrypted message itself) for the rest. In essence, even compromised servers can't mess things up -- they have to shuffle messages correctly for the good servers to accept the incoming data.

>And importantly, the technique is extremely efficient, to the point where transferring takes a tenth of the time that it would on a conventional anonymity network. That's particularly important when the nodes on these networks are frequently users' computers.

Other urls found in this thread:

info.securityscorecard.com/2015-education-security-report
journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2013/07/18/javascript-isnt-scheme/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

U gonna get doxxed by the NSA you extremist

And you don't seem to Understand.

>researched funded by USG

Take this, and ZeroNet and we've got ourselves a new internet Wild West.

Lets all love lain

I'm thinking about making lain my waifu, I love smart girls.

go to lainchan

>how are they gonna block pedos & potheads?
it will start to decay the moment pedos & drugdealers are free to roam, just like it happend to tor.

>trusting anything said by MIT niggers

Tor is still very good at anonymizing users. You just have to be careful.
Get off Sup Forums Terry.

bamp

dis gon b gud

>administrated by a 18yo
>full of le haxx kids

lainchan is dead bro

>Sup Forums
>used to be administrated by a normalfag
>now administrated by an out of touch Japanese businessman

majority of the tor content is illegal crap. there's nothing of value for normal people on it, which is sad

>normal people
>needing access to this shit
Why? So they can fuck that over and make it all casual shite?

Moot wasn't always a normalfag ya know.

no it's not.
>there's nothing of value for normal people on it
It's an anonymity network. Not really a place to host content for long periods of time.

it's the other way around. it's the casuals that are the pedophiles, so your argument is still correct.
>keep the pedos/casuals out of tor

>He was perfectly normal, like Mark Zuckerberg, Benito Mussolini, Mother Teresa, Michal Jordan, or any other typical person you are likely to meet on the street at 4am on the good side of town.

Tor is also govt

A shame you seemed an honest man.

>wanting to spend time with 16 y.o edgy leftist teens

Yes

I want to hug and head pat lain really badly.

I remember quite vividly reading that MIT's network was literally the worst in the US.
Case in point:
>info.securityscorecard.com/2015-education-security-report
Someone's losing ground here.

can't wait for all the pizza

Cheese pizza?

At this point my name is mr Sceptisaur, I think humanity can forget all about privacy at this moment and erase the word completetly from the dictionary. We are unfortunatly no longer able to get our privacy back.

>MIT
>made Lisp
>secure

And all the fears you hold so dear

>(((lisp)))

>censorship mechanisms
>on an anonymity network
stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

what's wrong with lisp?

Lisp is JavaScript with more parentheses.

>Javascript was described as "we want to do lisp in the browser" to get its designer interested, if I remember that interview correctly...

>Indeed, Waldemar Horwat once told me that he viewed JavaScript as essentially Common Lisp with a C-like syntax. In fact Waldemar defined a metalanguage, wrote an interprepter for his metalanguage in Common Lisp, and then wrote the JavaScript spec in his metalanguage, thereby enabling him to actually run the specification. It was a clever technique.

journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2013/07/18/javascript-isnt-scheme/

>more secure than tor
>solution is only for small groups and can't scale like tor
Does anyone even read the model and future work sections?

>Does anyone even read the model and future work sections?
God no. Reading is hard, shitposting takes no effort whatsoever.
Welcome to the new Sup Forums, because even the minuscule standards of the old Sup Forums were too high for these people.

DON'T DIE

Better than spending time with weeaboo """"rightist"""" insecure neets

this. Fucking javascript is whatever thing is the furthest from a lisp that may exist

What if the government partnered with MIT to make an "anonymous" network that is easy for them to monitor and track?

I bet the nsa will have a bunch of day 1 backdoors or whatever the hell to this system.

More than likely they did, but as long as you set up the pretense of anonymity and aren't dealing in things threatening national security, they'll leave you alone.

Wouldn't want to risk the word getting out that the system is compromised just to catch a few people watching captain price

Will turn to whisper in your ear

I've been following this project for ages as a proof of concept of a first-hop verifiable mixnet.

The performance is absolutely dire - ~1Mbit/s when used for file transfer im real-world testing - compared to garlic routing or onion routing, but unlike them, it is strong against global passive and active attackers.

It's great to see it published and validated at last!

My own work on hybrid mixnets is a bit ahead of this (if it is proved to work), and currently achieves roughly ~5000ms latency and a comfortable 180Mbit/s file transfer with the current nodes on the test network (upload speed limitations would probably halve bandwidth for a full real-world network although I've tried to simulate this, and this speed does not rely on packet order: an ordered connection is about an order of magnitude slower, but still fairly acceptable). The routing algorithm still needs a lot of work, however: anti-Sybil defenses are a real pain, especially if you want a lower-latency path, you will have to trade some anonymity for latency there, but I think with further work I can make individual streams indistinguishable to a global active attacker with less than 51% of the network, mitigating the attack on low-latency paths by using high-latency non-ordered paths, like bulk file transfers, as cover traffic.

More research needed, etc.

>MIT
Night as well call it NSA,and people will fall for this.
Jesus the world we are living in.

Is there any actual implementation of this available to play with yet or not?

are you working alone?

>majority of the tor content is illegal crap.
I'm not sure how this is a valid criticism given that is part of its purpose, though not its original purpose

>given that is part of its purpose
when most people use Tor it's for anonymity. Most people wouldn't consider anonymity illegal but some countries do. So yes, sometimes Tor is used to do "illegal" stuff but the term illegal is subjective based on country and feelings for the user.

I use Tor because I don't like the feeling of being watched.

You're just jealous that whatever shitty school you went to doesn't own an ENTIRE /8 block of IPv4 addresses.

Net 18 represent!

Does Lain have a tube of thermal paste in her mouth?

Yes.

Is that why she went a bit mad?

(defmacro echo (&rest args)
`(quote ,(list (list args))))

* (echo lisp)
(((LISP)))