Post yfw first experiencing Windows cold-boot off of an SSD

Post yfw first experiencing Windows cold-boot off of an SSD.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XrFYx5FEZtE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> mfw Windows 10 takes 15 seconds to cold-boot off a samsung ssd

pretty disappointing, desu
linux on the other hand...

Just over 10 seconds from BIOS post to desktop on a Lite-On I got off of eBay for $25

>windows

Kek that's fucking awful, it takes your memepad over 5 seconds just to post

>tfw Windows 10 boots in ~7sec off of a HDD

>hes using a DM

lmao, you even made a cut after the decompression

absolutely pathetic.

why are people still lying about that in 2016?
I tested it with vmware.
15 sec ssd
2:30 minutes HDD

stop lying faggot

I don't know that feel, the only place I've used windows in recent years is in a VM.

he has a better SSD than you.

Indeed.

Trashy motherboard, trashy SSD. I don't even see the fucking MSI logo. I press the fucking button and suddenly I see that nice screen logging into my local account.

This is a fucking MSI H81-E33 and an SSD that I expected would be dead already but it's working quite well: an Intenso 120GB SSD.

Shit. My Windows 10 PC would have booted in half the time.

i have the 950 pro, the best ssd on the market, so no

>2:30 minutes HDD
Damn, that must be one hella shitty HDD m8

140 hella MB/s read speed m8

>Install shitty Kingston SSD on my 6 year old laptop
>Install windows 7
>First time boot
>mfw

What the fuck do you even do on your computer that it would take so much

My dad has an extremely shitty computer from 2007 there and it doesn't reach a full minute

Jesus chooses you tbqh fampai.

>ARGUMENT WON !!!

does your dad also use a VM on his shitty computer?

First time was a OCZ Vertex 4, which is still a really fast SSD. After dealing with slow-ass HDD boot times forever, I felt like this was cheating somehow.

>takes 1 minute to boot
>takes another minute for your slow ass to type

are linux users on acid

try typing one handed dumbass

fix your shit.

only thing that slows my boot time is my dumb asus z97 bios that is SLOOOOOW i guess ill adjust the timer

No, not really.

But then what are you complaining about?

>takes that long to boot Linux off a SSD

You can get into real OS off a hard drive in nearly the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=XrFYx5FEZtE

>tfw shutdown -h now takes 1 second on an HDD

lol i have an HDD and my win 10 boots in ~12 seconds

15 seconds on win 8 with HDD

my cpu is not even that powerful too : fx6300

>1,56 seconds
windows fags on suicide watch

That's using hybrid shutdown, i bet. Not cold boot.
>1.56 seconds to autistic riceWM
kys.

that one takes 12 seconds from bootloader to desktop, mine's 4 seconds

openbox + tint2

that's where it loads the video driver and switches to full resolution

i come back from work i boot it up and after 15 secs im already on the web

based HDD

seriously i see no reason for me to fall for the SSD meme yet

altough they are inexpensive

one dude saying that he boots windows in 7 seconds with an HDD

lies
lies

If lunix is so advanced, why can't it do something so simple like hibernating the kernel instead of re-initializing all hardware every boot as if you change hardware daily or some shit? :^)

I really don't understand why people give a shit about boot times.
I cold boot my PC maybe twice a month, and just hibernate it inbetween, which takes usually ~10-15 seconds to recover from.
SSD can provide a lot of practical benefits, but people always fucking mention boot times, I don't get it.

So you're complaining that someone is booting his operating system faster natively than you're booting it on a virtual machine

That's like complaining about getting paid less for being the maid instead of the CEO

>So you're complaining that someone is booting his operating system faster natively than you're booting it on a virtual machine
no im not dumbass. im complaining that this nigger is lying about his HDD booting in 7 seconds

>openbox + tint2
display manager is what DM is. You are using one. He's saying you should start openbox via xinit from a TTY.

how would lying about my PC boot time benifit me in anyway

google it if u dont believe me or youtube it idk

some people boot their pc faster than me with an HDD since they have a better CPU

>mfw booting windows off HDD

yfw BIOS time with my 950 Pro nvme drive is 44.9 seconds so this shit boots up slower than a mechanical drive

>they fell for the SSD meme

Booting takes time because the system has to load the OS into memory from storage. That's not a CPU bottlenecked operation on modern PCs. Because of random location read times, a HDD is not ideal for your boot drive.

You can boot in 7 seconds using Intel rapid boot or Asus whatever but that's basically just hibernating your PC, not cold booting. I'm going to o assume your a trollolo

Based MS.

nah man he boots in 7 seconds cold mate, and loads GTA V in 9 seconds. is awesome mechanical shit bro

slow as fuck, i don't even see the windows bootlogo on my sm 951.

you'll never get back those seconds you stare at the screen and they add up. you only live once, why wait?

Actually you can tell udev to do that
Heck even without that it still faster( ・ั﹏・ั)

I have a laptop that dual boots Win10 and Linux mint. When I have to switch between operating systems it takes ~20sec, which is way better than ~3min

>dual booting in the year 2016
>vt-x exists since like Pentium 4
>EPT since Nehalem
>Since Haswell, even nested VMs take advantage of this shit

Why the fuck would anyone dual boot still?

For what reason? Why not just use a virtual machine?
I do all of my Linux shit in a VM because dual booting is a pain.

Yes, this is pretty disappointing.
>be me
>buy SSD
>8 second boot time on Arch
>14 second boot time on Win7
Feelsgoodman.

LOL
>spend 300+ dollars on disk
>it's slower than a 30 dollar disk to boot

Slow as fuck. I can see the windows boot logo flash for less than a second and the "loading" circle doesn't even appear.

My windows 10 workstation literally boots in 5 seconds from a 6 years old HDD.

mine's 6-7 second to desktop via samsung 850 evo
you're shit senpai

do all you fuckers not have a bios, truecrypt and ubuntu login passwords on your computer?

are you seriously just booting up directly to your operating system without any password protection whatsoever?

I'm the only person who uses my computer so why have a password?

I got nothing to hide like cheese pizza.

>windows 10
>cold boot
Pick one. Since 8 windows by default performs a hibernation after disconnecting all user sessions, and shutting down all programs when the shutdown option is selected. They did this so they could boast about fast booting times.

windows 10 cold boots, not like 8

It takes 6 seconds to boot Windows 7 off a RAID array of 8 10k HDDs. I have an SSD on my laptop and that takes just 5 seconds.

this
having to type in my LUKS/dm-crypt password when I boot completely negates the fact that the OS boots in 2 seconds, so I'm not even bothering trying to shave off a few more ms

>it takes one psu failure/lightning strike to wipe out 8 10k HDDs full of data
ftfy

these guys are probably hiding something in their Drives

i am not

well i am too but it is well "hidden"

>tfw asrock bios takes 6 seconds just to POST
At least ubutnu is up 4 seconds later.

On the other hand, my chromebook takes less than 8 with dev mode on.

The july 12 update takes like fucking 73GB so don't expect that to happen much longer. God forbid you but your most used applications on there too...

>mow my Mac boots in 10 seconds so I can listen to $uicideboy$ on Soundcloud

>he thinks that's impressive

o I'm laffin

my software raid doesn't help boot time, as it takes a few seconds just to assemble and mount it
doesn't really matter though, i only reboot for kernel updates

My PC with Debian Jessie boots in 5 seconds

fite me fags

>uses windows 10

>taking more than 30 seconds to boot
Gr10 b10 m10

i have literal video proof. get out fagot

>Holy shit
>It's almost as fast as Linux on an HDD
Winfags are only obsessed with SSDs because their OS seems to completely block on any IO

>I can't boot my shit machine fast

>HUR I TURNED EVERYTHING OFF, ITS GONNA LOAD LATER ON! NO PROBLEM, BUT ATLEAST THE WINDOWS SCREEN IS HERE AFTER 2 SECONDS

Nice
$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 4.357s (firmware) + 282ms (loader) + 1.516s (kernel) + 2.957s (userspace) = 9.113s

TFW your firmware is slow AF (Chinkpad T450s with Arch, no DM but startxfce4 only takes a second)

>420

U mad :^)

no im not mad. i dont ever turn my computer off, and my 950 nvme is blazing fucking fast. sorry lol

I have never experienced that.

that's nothing, with Debian GNU on a 1TB HDD with the Libreboot BIOS it takes 2 seconds to boot up, Lenovo BIOS is bloated SHIT, you have a T400 you might as well flash libreboot on it

i would if i could do it without needing to disassemble everything and hook up a programmer to it
i just use standby most of the time, so cold boot time doesn't really matter, in fact, i don't even own an ssd, that clip was with a borrowed one

Took only 5 seconds to get to desktop with whatever Samsung's inside the VAIO

for some reason my SSD has improved load times on games and such very noticeably, but W10 still takes like 2 minutes to boot.

"Fast boot" is on by default for most installs of windows 10 though.

also, 2 seconds sounds hard to believe from a HDD, that'd be spent just waiting for the hdd to spin up

About eight seconds..
What the fuck was the point of this thread?

>posting pictures of niggers
Why OP?

If anyone's looking for a really quick Linux distro, try Solus. I had boot times of just under or at two seconds right out of the box. That was with a password too!

You so mad bro

u mad lol son bru