Tesla says autopilot was involved in second car crash

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36783345

Is Tesla finished?

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/tesla-autopilot-story-in-depth-technology/3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no the reason of the crash is the human driver who just fucking rams into self driving tesla like a madman. ;)

nah. they just need to stop pampering their ai programming staff (or beat the crap out of them).

These customers signed and agreed to the beta program of this autopilot feature. I think tesla is off the hook.

The problem is that morons are thinking this shit is ready for prime time and they can just sit back and eat a fucking steak. The fact is that the computers computational power isn't were it needs to be to make these fully auto decisions. The driver needs to be alert at the wheel ready to take over.

>The data suggests that the driver's hands were not on the steering wheel, as no force was detected on the steering wheel for over two minutes after autosteer was engaged - even a very small amount of force, such as one hand resting on the wheel, will be detected.
What's the point of the autopilot then?
False advertising? Scam marketing?

Musk confirmed for being a scammer once again.

Comes to show you can't trust those rinky-dink electric cars. Now why don't you consider leasing a all-new 2017 Chevrolet Camaroâ„¢?

it's almost like implementing a real world driving AI is going to take a while to get going, and will need hundreds/thousands of millions of kms of all different kinds of roads to be fully capable of handling all real world situations.

and in the mean time, perhaps you should watch over the AI that you have given control of your mortality to.

Then why market it as an autopilot?

You know what a Tesla salesmen tell you? They tell you "the car practically drives itself" - that's an exact quote from a Tesla salesman.

>safer than any normal vehicle!
>self-driving! you can even watch movies in traffic!

Were they finished the last time this happened?
>No.

So... no?

this isn't the fucking panacea. It is described as beta, and it really is a working prototype.

idk about you but I would probably learn about something before entrusting my life to it.

Never trust a man with hair implants.

Not when you opt into the feature. It states that you need to keep your hands on the wheel. I highly doubt any legitimate sales rep is saying you can watch movies. Legal wise, I'm pretty sure they're safe. Their documentation lays out the correct use of this feature.

If autopilot isn't the appropriate word, than what?

>Then why market it as an autopilot?
People don't care about facts when you tell them their car will fly, have 0 emissions and drive itself.

Autopilot that requires human help is not "auto". Call it drive assist or something.

I wouldn't say it requires human help. Just their attention.

Aircraft autopilot isn't fully autonomous either and it's used that name for decades.

Someone work out whether the Tesla car crashes are above or below per 100,000 kilometres driven, as in normal cars.

wccftech.com/tesla-autopilot-story-in-depth-technology/3/

We're going to see more of this in the future, same with more accidents related to Pokemon Go,

Little to do with the products, but more likely related to the stupidity of people. Like Homer said once: "they put a warning now, because of me".

That's not to say that there aren't programming bugs or oversights in the software.
Also it's not the Autopilot I would be afraid of, rather the people I'm sharing the road with. I much rather have my hands atleast close to the steering wheel in case some random shit decides to do something moronic in traffic

Still magnitudes safer then normal cars.

natural selection

Wouldn't be surprised if they end up having to make Pokemon Go not work while you're driving. The detection's already there as it won't hatch your eggs if you are going too fast

Or was it 1 million kilometres? Can't remember.

Or the equivalent in miles.

>Watching movies.

In most parts of the U.S. (if not all), it is illegal to have ANY video playing that is visible to the person operating the motor vehicle.

I know in the first crash that happened, they found a fucking portable DVD player at the crash site.

I'd only use the Tesla Autopilot system, in its current form, for being able to briefly stretch out during road trips, only really 'relaxing' if there is NO one near me on the road.

The reality is that this feature has some uses and it will evolve. The problem, however; is that you get idiots with more money than brains who get behind the wheel of these cars and don't understand the current limitations of the technology.

Honestly though, if you're dumb enough to get into a 2,000lb+ metal box, travel on the interstate at 70+ MPH and full intrust your life to some beta software. You fucking deserve what you get.

This.

>more money than brains
>still can't afford a chauffeur
lol poorfags

What is this big fascination with self driving? What is so bad about driving? If you want to get somewhere while not paying attention, take a train.

Trains can't go many places, mate. They can only go where there's tracks and there's a lot less tracks than there are roads.

Tesla tries to be the Apple of the car world. And they fucked up big by presenting an assistive driving tech as an magical automated pilot, because they needed the hype of being "first!". All this while Google, MIT, Stanford and other big names of the car industry had better solutions, but didn't have the guts to present it as being ready yet. Tesla and Musk deserves all the shit in the world for being so irresponsible just for marketing purposes.

>considering a sales pitch as legit and not a sals pitch
Normies, everyone.

A lot of people see driving as a chore. My wife is one of these people. She is only concerned with getting from point A to B, that's it. In an ideal world, she could use that in between time to work.

I, on the other hand, really enjoy driving. I really like aspects of car culture. I enjoy working on my truck, I enjoy driving it. The same with something like a Miata. Driving to me is just fun.

Unfortunately, as I said, the majority of people see it as a chore. On the bright side, however; there is a LONG road ahead for automated driving. We probably won't see full autonomous driving in our lifetime, but we'll be pretty damn close.

Autopilots and automatic transmission are for amerifats and numale cucks.

wowoowowowow

>The problem, however; is that you get idiots with more money than brains who get behind the wheel of these cars and don't understand the current limitations of the technology.

Wait, so I have to pay $150 grand for the car AND understand how it works? Are you crazy?

Why do people look down on automatic transmissions so much? I had a manually operated transmission in my old truck and even though it was only a 3 speed it was still annoying to have to shift all the time. It made driving more of a chore except on highways but at that point you're not shifting so there's no difference in it and an automatic.

Pic is the truck in question, I sold it like 2 years ago and got a friggin Corolla instead. More reliable, and Just Werks. Manual transmission is gay unless you're driving a racecar or some shit.

If only people would stop and consider the fact that they're sitting on a 2 tonnes bullet traveling at 300kph, maybe, just maybe they'd not let it drive itself. But oh well, natural selection is apparently still valid

R u a grill or an amerifat tho?

>i can't handle my vehicle

Manual transmissions are fun, however; they can be a royal pain in the dick for daily use.

Most of the hate you'll is from Europoors who have grossly inflated prices on Automatic Trans. options, so there is a bit of needless resentment.

>pilot on a commercial airliner sits back and refuses to touch the controls as the plane encounters a dangerous situation because "It's on autopilot, I don't need to do anything. They'd call it fly assist if I needed to pay attention".
>midair collision with another plane where the pilot says the same thing
durr

There is a drive assist function on the Tesla that can't be turned off. Automatic emergency braking, a wheel that vibrates when you drift across the center line, etc. The "autopilot" goes a step further but still needs to be monitored.

No, the hate is from Europeans that have nice cars and can use them properly, unlike the neutered Amerifat automatic weak mode.

can't get a chauffeur on financing

these people don't need a lot of money to have more money than brains

I handled it fine for the 10 years I drove that truck, but it was a fucking chore to maintain and driving was a chore. Why would anyone want to waste all their energy on this shit when I could be inside posting on Sup Forums or something?
I had to leave for work 30 minutes early just in case some shit broke on the way and I had to duct tape it back in place or whatever

Whatever helps you sleep at night, europoor.

There are a number of European sports cars that only come in automatic.

Pretty much every American sports car comes in both, or exclusively manual.

Tesla goes bankrupt when?

Autopilot is a horrible name. It should have been called assisted driving.

No, autopilot, and by extension, this "self-driving car" bullshit, is finished.

Thank fuck. I fucking called it long time ago when this stupidity started and everyone started getting delusions that this shit technology would be in any way safe.

LOL.

I'm not going to even give you a (You). The facts are that self driving automobiles can run millions and millions of kilometers without crashing. Protip: You won't be driving that much in your entire lifetime.

>If autopilot isn't the appropriate word, than what?
Drive assist

>yfw jim keller savior of amd is now responsible for tesla's autopilot software

Nah, europoors are just used to manual transmission because they have to pay extra for automatic on lower and middle class cars. But it's even normal for higher end cars to have automatic transmission.

I am sure most of them have never even tried both.

meant hardware

You're forgetting that its used commersionally and that pilots are trained to use it. Autonomous driving is a consumer product that any retard can buy. Which is risky as fuck seeing that the only physical health check you need to pass to drive is a drug test.

>If only people would stop and consider the fact that they're sitting on a 2 tonnes bullet traveling at 300kph, maybe, just maybe they'd not let it drive itself. But oh well, natural selection is apparently still valid
goes right into my quote "database" thank you for the laugh
here is a cat

The important thing to remember about "self-driving" cars is that they're actually being driven by a team of programmers who are far away from the situation in both time and space. Now think about the average programmer, and tell me if that sounds like a good idea.

It's not automatic. It's double clutch transmission for faster shifting.

I own both and actively choose to drive manual because I have more control on my car, especially if you have to avoid idiots in traffic.
But I don't expect the land of the fat, home of the cucked, to understand

and yet self-driving cars are responsible for far less car crashes than the average human driver. really makes you think

Lorries have had auto pilots for decades.

Haven't you watched The Simpsons?

>really makes you think
Fuck off with your Facebook memes.

elon musk is a fucking murderer

he should be put on trial for tricking costumers for false marketing because he says the driverless autopilot feature works but in reality it's just a glorified cruise control shit

just fucking wait when people start doing pic related on highways

>However, the electric carmaker has suggested that the function was not being used correctly at the time.

every fucking time, this is like the antenna problems with the iPhone and when steve jobs said "you're using it wrong" kek

I bet we're gonna see at least 10 more deaths this year caused by Tesla's faulty autopilot

Because it's an Autopilot.

Autopilot doesn't mean the Pilot can just go an have a laydown on the plane beucase autopilot is on... They need to be fully alert and monitoring their instruments at all times.

Some guy crashed into the back of a truck and died because the white of the truck reflected the radar. Musk dick suckers actually defended this because "i-it's safer than driving".
Pretty sure I've never driven into the back of a truck before.

>implying autopoliot doesn't mean exactly that...
'An autopilot is a system used to control the trajectory of a vehicle without constant 'hands-on' control by a human operator being required. Autopilots do not replace a human operator, but assist them in controlling the vehicle, allowing them to focus on broader aspects of operation, such as monitoring the trajectory, weather and systems.'

Being an inattentive driver is going to kill you autopilot or not.

You might not have, but plenty of idiots have...

Why do people not understand that self driving cars don't have to be perfect in order to be superior to human driven cars? They just have to make less mistakes than humans(which they already do)

Not since mid 2000s.
Autopilots are now fully automatic and if something goes wrong there are loud beeps and robotic voice telling you what's wrong and how to fix it.

Pilots can actually take a nap between the take off and the landing, which many actually do.

So Musk is a scammer.

It doesn't require human help, but it's not foolproof yet. It's also not really a hardware issue (although better hardware can improve performance) but rather a data issue.

>Pilots can actually take a nap between the take off and the landing, which many actually do.
No, they can't.

On a long haul international light where there are many flight crew, Pilots and staff may sleep, but their stations will always be manned.

Who's gonna take the responsibility? If it's my fault it's my fault.

It's like guying an automatic knife, that will safely cut things for you without you hurting your fingers, but has a 0.1% chance of randomly cutting your throat.

Sucks living is a nanny state. In free countries the pilots can eat and sleep normally.

Which free country would that be?

It's certainly not USA.

Russia.

>Russia
>Free

also

>Aeroflot
>Allowing either pilot or copliot positions to be unmanned for any more than 7 minutes
Turns out you know jack shit.

>free
More free than you Israel-owned shithole with no rights or liberties.

>allowing
There are many laws in Russia, but no one bothering to enforce them.

There was even a case in the early 2000s where the pilots were drunk out their asses and let a kid fly the plane.

>Implying I live in either of those shitholes.
You're also full of zionist jews too, you're just as much a slave to Israel as USA, you just won't admit it.

> you're just as much a slave to Israel as USA

Suuure. That's why we fund Iran and Hamas.