/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Installation
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
youtube.com/watch?v=V0xoCA_qO58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Actual thread is here:

>implying
I asked this before, but how do i set default volume with ALSA? i don't use pulseaudio.

Try: amixer -q set Master unmute

well it is not muted, it just starts at 43% by default, does that change the default?

I have this exact same problem, brohan.

Both on some computers using LXDE and my laptop using i3.

I have to go into alsamixer, press F6, select Intel and push my Master volume to 100 everytime.

alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store

This should save the current settings.

thanks man I'll try this when I get home

It's kind of a mystery why it defaults to 43 though. I wonder why the hell it does that.

Also, how should you go about using the config for both ALSA and Pulse? Should you only use one and always leave the other untouched, or what's best practice? I'm kind of confused by audio in Linux

thanks a lot

>add rpm fusion
>install steam
>install audacious with non-free codecs

>attempt to install guvcview
>can't

I am following the documentation on the website in the background, what gives?

is it in the repository?

Yeah,
>"we can install guvcview on Fedora system by enabling RPM Fusion Repository"

so what happens if you download the rpm to your home folder and install manually?

(You)

because you need to disable it if you are on a DE and don't want icons. tell me which and i will tell you how to disable them.

Anything I should know about installing linux on an Early 2008 20" iMac?

I salvaged one and can't get OSX to install from disk or USB, so i'm thinking about putting Elementary on it. Do I have to do amy weird shit with partitioning or making my USB bootable?

All I have nearby are Windows computers for utilities

you need to make a bootable USB device and i would suggest not using elementary from bad experience.
i would recommend debian with gnome but i think that is easier to get to work initially:
wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Installation

Which is typically more stable: Cinnamon or MATE?

probably mate, but if you want a stable DE xfce is probably great.

MATE imo

is there a distro shipping wayland by default?
preferably redhat based

Arch GNOME, so antergos GNOME

debian sid, arch, gentoo or opensuse tumbleweed with gnome

KDE.

Is there a way to know which configuration file was used/loaded by a program? It's cool that many programs list the order of the config files in their man but if there's something easier I'll take it.

Greetings gentooman.
I'm a debian user and just installed the nvidia proprietary drivers, but now cinnamon crash and won't even start. Mate runs fine, but I really prefer cinnamon and would like to solve this issue. Searching on the internet didn't gave me anything that could fix that.

grep -i cinnamon /var/log/syslog :
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' failed to register before timeout
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....
Jul 13 23:21:07 myLaptop cinnamon-session[2319]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: L'exécution du processus fils «/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1» a échoué (Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type)
The french part :
>execution of the child process > failed (no file or directory of this type)

any idea what I should look at?

I'm about to try install gentoo again, can anybody point me to a guide about picking drivers and kernel modules? or describe how it's done, I know how to navigate menuconfig, just not what to pick so that it all works in the end.

I had something similar a while back, except the drivers worked for about 3 months and then cinnamon wouldn't start. Eventually I just disabled the gpu(laptop with optimus).

I'm not sure if this was the problem but propriety drivers will only work on the kernel they were compiled for because Linus refuses to keep the ABI stable.
If mate works it might be because it's not using the driver?

I tried to install gentoo on a different hard drive on my x220, just to mess around. Didn't manage to get gentoo working. Am I a pleb for giving up and installing Arch instead? Any other distro suggestions? I'd like a command-line based system. Currently have Ubuntu and Kali.

lsof | grep compton

Help plox, I did a minimal netinst of Debian Testing, installed xorg/xinit/mrxvt-mini/twm/menu/menu-xdg/logrotate/locatepurge, and when i startx, all I get is a basic debian wallpaper. I can use twm (albeit weirdly), yet i cannot use a browser. I tried to install chromium and firefox, to no avail. I also don't have a panel. What do i do?

How do I install the open source Radeon driver on Fedora 24?

The documentation is very poor, I can only find guides from back when Fedora used the yum command, or shit leading me to Ubuntu.

Should I just switch to Debian? It seems Fedora has piss poor documentation, at least from the perspective of a newbie Linux user.

Why are you putting yourself in such pain?
I really don't understand why people use rpm distros in desktops. Yes, move to Ubuntu or Arch. Chose a one that is not a wannabe freetard distro

i need a lightweight Debian, and i also want to go with testing rather than stable. Also because

Extemely noob question:
Is there a log that logs everything on my system? I mean is it a single file or multiple files each for specific area?

Main question is where do I see this log?

B-be friendly.

Separate programs have separate log files. check /var/log/

I have an x60 with libreboot installed

I used trisquel to install it but I hated it so I switched to debian

When I boot it it says "error file '/vmlinuz' not found

To boot Debian I have to search for a grub configuration and load grub configuration from (ahci0,1)

It then says something like error unicode fonts not found

How do I fix this so it will boot straight into debian?

any help appreciated

Boot in to debian manually, and regenerate your intcpio.
Also make sure to use UUID instead of absolute paths

The free GPU drivers are pre-installed and you're already using them.

Post USE flags
X bindist alsa acl

What are some reasons to *not* use Debian?

Because the more I read about it, the more I like it. I mean, it's got you covered with Stable, Testing, and Sid, so the "ancient" excuse isn't even really a concern. And I find their choice to leave out non-free stuff out of the main repos by default, making it just a simple optional thing to enable if you want it to be pretty cool.

Because testing and sid are not different flavours of Debian for users to choose from, they're literally development branches. Development ultimately will always take precedence over your user experience. You'll get painful transitions, and regular upgrade backlogs every freeze before a stable release.

>painful transitions

I mean, you can always just hold off upgrading for a day or so when you don't approve of what aptitude is about to do, no?

Maybe I'm being naive. Please explain further

No. It dosent support partial upgrades

I'm not talking about partial upgrades, I'm talking about just waiting a day without upgrading until aptitude doesn't want to nuke your whole DE because some components of it were upgraded but not all of them yesterday

Critical packages would be pushed as a cluster, and held before bying sync'd to the mirrors.
Adding another 5 packages on to what was to be upgraded yesterday, is moot

I still don't understand what you mean by painful transition though

Not that user.For example, the last gtk3 3.20 bump from 3.18, break EVERY THEME IN THE WORLD, because they fucked shit up. You could blindly install it, becuause, you know, you dont read change logs, you just want new software that isnt 4 years old like the normal repos.Whne you rebooted, boom you have no blue what happened, and seeing how it is so ingrained as a toolkit, you cant easily go back with just downgrading gtk3,unless you have a snapshot system in place, and locks what packages to reinstall provided something happens. Also when critical system packages are updated, they may no longer support how you were doing things before(systemd for a BIG transistion) so you are sitting at a broken gtty wondering if you can even login to attempt to fix the problem.

Isn't this something that happens in every rolling distro though?

Okay, you had a good point
>you aren't a 1337 hacker for using a free distro based on RPMs, just go install Ubuntu

So I went with stock Ubuntu, immediately went into terminal, activated root, purged webapps, amazon, and unity scope.

After that I went to install Unity Tweak Tool, but now I see the amazon app back in my installed applications.
Is there any way to have Unity Tweak without reinstalling amazon, or do I just need to switch to Linux Mint?

Why did you go Ubuntu and not Debian

I thought it would be easy, with the way updates are automatically implemented if you have a network connection during the installation, and that the non-free codecs are supported out of box
I remember though, I used Ubuntu back in 2014 as my main OS for a while and I had to spend a significant amount of time in terminal having to fix shit that was purposely broken, such as the Amazon issue I'm having right now.

Looks like I'll be installing debian now.
I'm not a tech retard, I'm just unfamiliar with Linux.
Should I go with stable or testing?

Always do a netinstall of Stable first, no matter what. The installers for Testing and Sid are not for actually installing and using them, they're for testing the installers themselves.

Once you do that netinstall of Stable, it's up to you to keep it as it is or upgrade it to Testing/Sid based on your needs

Here's the link to the one that includes a bunch of non-free firmware. You might get lucky and it'll find things like your wifi card out of the box. If it doesn't, you'll need to add it manually through a USB OR just install through an ethernet cable and install the wifi driver from the terminal. It tells you which .deb it needs anyway.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

If you want the pure netinst, here you go

cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

>they're for testing the installers themselves

lol, thanks man you just saved me further troubles

>netinstall is 266mb
quite impressive, is this finally the non-bloated and functional OS I have been looking for?

A couple of questions for you folks

1) Why is it that when I type users in the terminal,
my name comes up twice? Is that normal?

2) It seems that PulseAudio is the default in my system (my GNOME interface's volume control seems to tie into PulseAudio and not ALSA itself). Like these anons above , upon further inspection, alsamixer and F6 tells me master volume is always at 43% on system start by default. I know I can change it thanks to , but why is that? Why does it default to being several decibels down? It doesn't seem to be an issue tied to your DE, based on those posts.

3) I've tried using SSH in a local network and it works well. But I was wondering, since everyone in my network seems to share a public IP, what happens if there are two computers running SSH servers under the same public IP? How does a guest trying to get in from the outside specify which he wants? By port? What happens if they're both using the same one?

For me it comes up once. Are you logged in on the VT as well?

ubuntu ~ $ users
ubuntu

>PulseAudio
to get correct values with alsa+pulse, you need to control pulse instead of alsa

option a) via alsa
amixer -qD pulse set Master 50%

option b) pulse directly
pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ 50%

Another piece of advice:

At some point in the install (after the partitioning and all that), it's gonna ask you which software you want to install, like which Desktop Environment (if any), if you want SSH and Print server right out of the gate, basic system utilities, etc.

If you want to use GNOME as your DE, just leave "Debian Desktop Environment" ticked and no other DE. That's GNOME.

If you want to use a DE that is not GNOME, make sure you unmark "Debian Desktop Environment" and tick the one you want to use.

If you don't want to use a DE (or at least one that isn't provided in the installer list), just make sure you unmark "Debian Desktop Environment"

Always leave system basic utilities ticked though, that's good for you. As for the other options (SSH, Print server, mail server, etc) you decide if you want to only install those later if you need them or if you wanna have em right away.

Oh, and partitioning wise, look into using LVM. LVM's awesome compared to regular partitioning. It's even an option there in the installer. And you can encrypt with LUKS over LVM if you wish, as well. It's very easy

Why are you setting it to 50%? Is it just an example? Because I would prefer to just have it be 100% by default always.

And should this go in my xinit or what?

no, as far as I know I'm only logged in once

user@anonPC:~$ who am i
user pts/0 2016-07-13 19:45 (:0)

but the output of users is still

user@anonPC:~$ users
user user

Whats the "sudo apt-key add" for fedora

obligatory meme

>>>/reddit.com/r/linux/

nice meme
and socks

Anyone here run openwrt? I'm running dd-wrt on an accesspoint serving as a repeater, but my main router is still running the stock firmware. I tried to tweak some of it last year, but I had some issues with dropping connections and what not. That being said, I didn't tinker with it much. Anything neat I could do with it asides from wireless freedom?

Type who or w, you should see something like this for w:
user@anonPC:~$ w
03:51:10 up 4 days, 13:18, 3 users, load average: 0,88, 1,20, 1,26
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
user tty7 :0 Sat14 4days 1:46m 7.14s cinnamon-session --session cinnamon
user pts/2 :0 Mon21 2days 0.07s 0.07s bash

ie. the pseudo terminal you are running counts as a logged in user.

I hope the chan doesn't mangle the formatting of that.

#dnf remove fedora

Just use GNOME, Unity is a GNOME ripoff.
1. Install Ubuntu server
2. Install your desktop environment and login manager
3. Install the packages you NEED

ha
ha
ha

How much is systemd implemented in Linux+ these days? Am I ok knowing sysvinit or am I totally screwed?

1.) This can happen if your logged in on two seperate ttys, like if you cnt-alt fn1-6 (before the x server) or if you have multiple terminals like bash or zsh running. It treats it as seperate logins.

2.) It depends on the system, ive had it drop to 0 by default, or around 50%. Just depends how the distro configured it, probably to protect the speakers.

3.)I'm reasonably sure it would work as long as whatever your ssh-ing into isnt from the same user account like [email protected] instead of [email protected]. But it all typically is handled through port 22. or 23 for telnet i believe

hello again friends

when I input this into terminal

# aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') fglrx-driver

is that part "uname" supposed to be like that, or is it implied that I input my username there

It should detect your username. Have you tried it? What happens?

Only bad distros use systemd so you're safe.

Its just asking for the kernel version, uname is system info.

hohohohohoold the fuck up

what are you trying to do?

also uname is not your username.

this is one of the reasons i like slackware.

Proves my point :~)

Yeah, the distro that has the highest enterprise level deployments, had highest installations, is bad

If the average linux distribution is a timesink, then gentoo is your entire life.

Slackware is cool though.

Oh I didn't input that yet, just wanted to make sure

I am about to install proprietary ati/amd drivers, I got a hardware acceleration message upon login. I already added http.redir.debian non free to my source list and did the aptitude update, just wanted to be sure I was about to do that correctly

If I do all of this on root, it will be applied to my regular user login as well, right?

How much systemd is required to know for certifications?

>applied to my regular user login
yeah most likely

Does anyone know where's the additional drivers in Parrot os ?

wtf is parrot os?

They just had pulseaudio. It's only a matter of time systemd deniers. :^)

>Parrot Security OS is a Debian-based, security-oriented distribution featuring a collection of utilities designed for penetration testing, computer forensics, reverse engineering, hacking, privacy, anonymity and cryptography. The product, developed by Frozenbox, comes with MATE as the default desktop environment.
There you lazy fuck, that took 2 seconds to google. I'm being friendly in my own way.

Red Hat is playing dirty with his army of trolls and bigot developers.

Even with the colonization of many distros like Arch some of us still know the danger of this advance. So no, is not "matter of time", stay mad.

That's 2 seconds of my life not wasted, so thanks.
So what additional drivers do you need? If it is debian based they would presumably the same place as they would be in debian. This is kind of why I would steer clear of spin off distros if you have to ask such a question.

Never give in never surrender lol. Bad move from patrick though. Alsa is a clusterfuck for sure but pulseaudio isn't the way to go i don't think

muchas gracias, mis amigos blancos
me han ayudado bastante, hasta que ustedes me aliementaron de las cuchara

Do I need to do any setting up besides running aticonfig --initial, or am I all good to go for HD video playback and steam?

>alsa
>clutserfuck
You dont know how to configure it, or are just repeating things you saw on some ubuntu blog.
>pulseaudio
It is just a layer upon alsa.

I know how to configure it, but configuring it is a clusterfuck.

Yes its just a layer on top of it and yes you can disable it or not install it but it paves the way for other systemd tomfuckery which is what i have the problem with.

I hope you installed them the Debian way. You did, right?

I think is included in LPIC, definitely in RHCA. Here is a tutorial video youtube.com/watch?v=V0xoCA_qO58

Remember, if we don't fight back we are going to be dependent on Red Hat developers. They can deprecate anything, shove in any flaw (or backdoor) and kill our systems.

Why are you guys so adamant in your hatred for systemd

If you feel so strongly against it, then why don't you go help the Devuan guys or something?

you redhat/fedora guys could go get the source code and make your own rpm packages right? I'm not disagreeing but it is a way to bypass some 3rd party os-dep code.

Literally just answered No excuse to be on denial now.

Because it is taking over every base core program.When 80% of the ENTIRE init process is usurped by systemd, and programs iare HARD deping on systemd, you cannot change it.

It is too far to go back, it has taken too much of the system away.