What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Why did Vista turn out to be a blaoted, buggy, piece of shit compared to xp?

Why does Microsoft keep dropping familiar designs that it's users are only just beginning to feel familiar with?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/pictures/windows-longhorn-still-the-most-exciting-windows-ui-to-date/
youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why did Vista turn out to be a blaoted, buggy, piece of shit
Because Microshit wrote it that way.

Longhorn design concepts still look like the best ui Microsoft should have gone

Incompetent and lazy programmers.

kys

indeed never understood why they dropped it..

Why?

Despite minor style inconsistencies due to how it was developed Windows 10 has a nice, clean, no bullshit design.
Say what you want about minimalist/"material" graphic design being lazy, too many gradients and glassy bubbles has no place in OS design.
I had to set the secondary colour to gray though because program logos look ass nasty on coloured squares.

Goodamn this looks so bad it's almost like I'm looking at a Linux distro

makes me remember during 2006-2007 indians and arabs shitting up youtube with their ugly unoriginal "concepts" trying to get hired by microsoft lol

>cursorxp

Win10 uses a fucked up XP beta theme, pic related

At least post real images, not deviantart trash

Why does that look like that shitty KDE theme that tried too hard to look like XP? Plastik is what it was called I believe...

o wait i've got it backwards again.

ayup, christ it looks....not too bad actually. Its like Win XP and OS X had wild, ball slapping sex and this was the result.

The font is killing me though.

XP was fucking garbage when it was released. Three SPs later, along with lots of hardware churn as people bought new printers and shit that had XP drivers, and it was a great OS.

Vista was the same. 7 was Vista SP3, and by the time it came along, people had junked their old garbage for shit that had drivers for Vista.

>10 years later
>still the best looking windows

This

>One window using Vista white, another using older XP grey, and WordPad with Win95 widgets.

Not much has changed since then.

Honestly I am using 8.1 now (with classic shell) and I find ui better than 7, but I am guy who used classic theme on 7 anyway
Its just stupid full screen shit thats pops out once in a while thats really annoying

"XP grey" isn't a thing though
Windows has used white and grey since win95

Vista introduced driver lockdowns that didn't exist before. It featured new code that took exclusive control over hardware, while also preventing other applications from having exclusive access, thereby disallowing thirdparty access to hardware. This introduced inefficiencies to performance as it created a lot of driver overhead. It was also the first windows , thanks to demanding complete control, that would basically disallow your video or soundcard from playing pirated media if the DRM didn't line up (this is why HDMI replaced DVI... copy protection) . But vista is also not longhorn. Somewhere during longhorns development, the premise changed and moved away from longhorns original ideals. Similar to how blizzard was working on Titan, and it became Overwatch, but it was also quite the departure from the original idea.

>(this is why HDMI replaced DVI... copy protection)
DVI supports HDCP.

Correct, but it's not enforced and a lot of older displays don't support it

Fucking pajeets seriously

Longhorn was reworked at some time, wasn't it?

Yes, but the images I quoted were never real

zdnet.com/pictures/windows-longhorn-still-the-most-exciting-windows-ui-to-date/

That actually looks pretty good. Not sure why they need duplicate system trays though.

Because year 2007 was the year of aesthetics.

i miss that time so much

They tried to copy MacOS and use hardware accelerated UI elements. The drivers and hardware suppliers weren't ready for that.

Also they outsourced most of their coding to india and you get what you pay for.

there has been no significant change to windows in the past 21 years.

thats why the design is bloated

blame stupid dumb faggots for
>muh minimalism

Agreed

>Linux + Wine + Dosbox + Win95 UI
Why isn't this a thing?

Some videos were banterous as fuck, I mean, the music
youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

That takes me back ;_;
Pretty sure vista wasn't that laggy for me though, but I didn't upgrade until sp1 so that might have helped

The good pre-flat retardation days... I miss them

Trinity.

Actually I prefer KDE4's oxygen.

There's nothing that will reach 7's customizability.

>Because year 2007 was the year of aesthetics.
Let me guess; you were in your early teens back then.
Design languages and UI consistency have come a long way since then. The same principles can be applied to the skeuomorphism that was prevalent back then but it'll still look dated. These things change and you're either going to have to accept that or you can sit in your armchair and tell everyone how much better things were back in your day.

Except for, you know, everything else.

>The drivers and hardware suppliers weren't ready for that.
They were ready. They just couldn't care less. Want to use Vista? Well, time to buy new hardware from us then.

>DEC 1 2003

How about the laptops with shit specs that shipped with full vista?

aaaaaaa the linux cube thing
good for three headed pokemon

shit though, that took me back. Compiz and shit, is it?

Those weren't just laptops, I remember Dell trying to sell desktops with a P4 and 512MB of RAM. Worse still, idiots in my country bought them because
>Look this one has more GHz!

I can't believe I used to actually think this looked good.

>Also they outsourced most of their coding to india and you get what you pay for.

Citation needed

Blame OEMs selling prebuilts, laptops, and netbooks, without the minimum hardware to run vista well and you know they shipped that shit with all the graphical candy turned on which would have made it perform even worse for the layman

If you actually had a machine with a c2d or c2q and 4gb of ram it was a dream.

This is best looking longhorn i have ever saw, yet it still looks like shait.

On launch you needed to get a dedicated GPU to get useful drivers. The SiS and Via drivers were painful. Also, it ran like a dream on 2GB of RAM, even 1 was more than acceptable.

>minor style inconsistencies
Dude it's all over the place with three or four different UI's multiple control panels and a botnet. Ads and that shitty Xbox Live and MS store are the creme le creme on the loose stool.

there's just 2 UIs, faggot.

The universal-overlay and the under-the-engine overlay.

I assume you can't replicate this glassy look anymore

The design isn't consistent at all. Different portions of the OS have different windows.

Ya, compiz has that effect.

Liberals and botnets.

why did they dropped it?
They tried to develop lots of new things in managed code(yeah, .NET) over the native Windows codebase. That mix of code was seriously unstable(those builds had LOTS of explorer.exe bugs). Also developers and managers had lost focus on the end-product. That is why they reset the development.

That's win7 with some deviantart shit, not a real windows theme

There's a theme for win7 that looks somewhat similar

Flat and classic themes are better.

I'm even using Windows-like "Redmond" theme on my Linux laptop.

>using drop shadows with a classic theme

linux

This really irritates me.

That taskbar looks amazing

to be honest, XP was a bloated buggy piece of shit compared to 2000