Vulkan Thread

NVIDIA BTFO

#AMDefecatedOnNvidia

Is it over for Nvidia? They've been having a good run the past 5 years but their lack of proper async may do some real damage.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bL5bew0lwNg
youtu.be/lXijkS_qIzA?t=819
forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1868421/
forum.beyond3d.com/threads/dx12-performance-discussion-and-analysis-thread.57188/page-9#post-1869058
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You do realize that the next generation of Nvidia cards are going to improve their performance that will be comparable to AMD.

In 2018 yeah, like 2 years from now, that gives AMD plenty of time. Look at the graph, a $250 card is getting 75% performance of a $650 card. They should put that Price/Performance ratio on one of those retarded Nvidia graphs.

Its absolutely ridiculous.

They need to put in the 1070 and 390 on that graph to make the Nvidia fags weep more.

But it's only one game, Nvidia will pay other game developers not to develop Vulkan

Vulkan is the new meme, I hope it goes mainstream and steam makes it a requirement for every game under steam ahaha

By that time AMD will create a newfangled gpu that will solve all of the world's problems while nVidia finally gets the hang of some ancient, deprecated tech called async compute.

Granted D44M isn't the best looking game ever, and its not a huge open world title, but 120fps+ from a $200~ GPU is pretty impressive.

nvidia's last gen had async compute

they already deprecated it with pascal

Driver overhead was holding back AMD all along. finally they came out of that vicious years and leveled the playground.

this is all 4000 series again. AMD is hitting hard.

>Doom
Watch what happens when they turn async compute on for Nvidia

Your gains will be destroyed

AMD hitting hard with what is essentially a GPU designed to be as cheap as humanly possible. Polaris 10 is super fascinating.

>little gain because nvidia already had good opengl drivers
>meanwhile amd's opengl drivers were total ass

Kek

Are you people aware the difference between the reference 980 and the reference 980Ti is at most 15 to 20 FPS?

The 480 is still behind the 980Ti by quite a big margin and this is why a low level API, it should be higher.

You people see big numbers but lack any knowledge to compare.

Sup Forums gets dumber by the day.

>turn async compute on for Nvidia
no such thing exist.

youtube.com/watch?v=bL5bew0lwNg

Searched for some quick numbers to compare, in average the 980Ti is fater than the 980 by 15 to 20FPS at DX11.

Nvidia cards can do some async compute, just 32 operations at a time instead of 128 like AMD

Some fags at guru3d wrote an application to test this

by driver overhead do you mean nvidia proprietary deals with developers?

No, he means how AMD's drivers suck ass at OpenGL, which is something that's been common knowledge for over a decade

Also
>opengl
>proprietary deals

Here's a novel idea--nVidia actually has decent driver support.

It's funny how I'll go down the list of grievances with my last AMD card, and everytime, I hear.....
>It's been fixed!

It shouldn't have been broken in the first place, nor do they even mention of HOW LONG it took to be fixed.

I had mouse and flash corruption for almost a year before I gladly paid double for an nVidia.

Source: youtu.be/lXijkS_qIzA?t=819

I know you Sup Forumsoys think hes a shill but make sure you watch till the end (or start at the time linked in the url), he actually criticizes AMD for having such lackluster opengl performance.

Seems that the [spoiler]true potential[/spoiler] of AMD cards is being unlocked here, AMD was always been giving more for the money because their drivers are such shit. Trying to make up for bad software in overkill hardware.

I really wonder about Vega after these results.
source?
I'm talking about opengl drivers.

and yet pascal is just maxwell 2.1

My bad, it was beyond3d not guru3d

forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1868421/

yes we are aware, read the posts.

I'm still hearing about this driver overhead though--literally yesterday people were telling me not to match the new RX 480 with my APU build for that exact reason.

I guess that's why they're pushing DX12 and Mantle (is that still a thing?) and all, but I've long since stopped relying on hollow promises from AMD.

>mfw dx12

Polaris 10 is 36CU, 32ROP. Its not a big 64ROP high pixel throughput design like Hawaii and Fiji.
It is essentially a Tahiti(Radeon 7970) with 4 more CU and newer arch. Its not even fabbed to be as dense as possible, all the structures on the front end of line are spaced well apart from one another to balance defect rate and die area. Its a tiny die, with a layout as simple as possible.

Being near the GTX 980 with that is impressive no matter how you try to contort things.

Nvidia async computer is faster with smaller batches, but slower with larger batches, while AMD is leveled out

forum.beyond3d.com/threads/dx12-performance-discussion-and-analysis-thread.57188/page-9#post-1869058

Mantle was donated to Khronos, holder of the opengl and developed the mantle into Vulkan.

if you going to play dx11 games don't buy AMD.

What does that has to do with anything I've said?

The RX480 has more raw performance than the GTX970 and AMD advertise it as being as strong as a GTX980, 2x480 beat a single 1080, a GTX1080 already beats SLI GTX980 in most cases, the performance expected for the RX480 is at least GTX980 performance.

By previous numbers and benchmarks we can know the performance gap between a GTX980 and a GTX980Ti, and the RX480 running on a low level API barely matches it.

>AMD's drivers suck ass at OpenGL, which is something that's been common knowledge for over a decade
nigga you must be trippin, amd ogl drivers follow the ogl spec perfectly, nfagya allows for obscure shit that """developers""" use, cause they "dont know any better"/moneis making shit not work on other vendors
for instance, novidia allows you to omit the version statement at the beginning of a shader, that shit is _required_ as per the spec
go fuck yourself shill!

Look at the pre-Vulkan benchmarks for Doom and stay mad, faggot

Windows literally kills the driver because it thinks it has frozen if you use i ton an nvidia card

AMD won this round

The 480 will be the best bang for bucks for a few years. Should I pull the trigger ? I have a 270x and plans to get a 1440p screen

did you even see the benchmark? it has a massive driver overhead in opengl.

Nah it's the new hotness it will only be more popular Nvidia is in big trouble

also, novidia allows you to mix integer and floats whenever you want without any sort of casting
that shit is not valid code!

It's Vulkan not OpenGL

pay attention

Good thing nobody's talking about OpenGL, come try and keep up kid.

>its easy to win if you cheat
duh...

Read the fucking posts you're replying to and try again faggot

Lol, also try using DisplayPort to hook up your expensive new VIVE to your brand new 1080, lol.

Yeah.

Vulkan only has a huge apparent gain because their OpenGL drivers ran like shit, so Vulkan allowed them to catch up.

It's not that AMD does Vulkan better, it's that they did OpenGL worse

he is right though.
are you an idiot? you don't understand what you read?

DOOM is Vulkan

OpenGL is old and cold nobody cares about it

This. Nvidia is now learning to stack ram as AMD is now learning to stack gpus

Whatever, serves as a nice summary for others.

I knew it was bad but holy shit those drivers were REALLY bad.

Exactly, amd gpus tend to put more work on the cpu, that's why they work very well with powerful cpus, but not so great with low end ones.
On the other hand, one of the features of dx12/vulkan/asynccompute/whatever, is leveraging cpu work on the gpu. If the gpu has the capability to handle this (like this gcn arch), the gains can be huge

Ironic that to get the most out of an AMD gpu you need an intel cpu.

This. Amd has to actually pay devs to use these api's like hitman and recently the new civilization game. Most devs won't give two shits about it. It's a lot of work for very little performance gain (in the case of hitman).

>yfw all future gaymes come with Vulkan and Nvidia's high priced cards gets btfo by much cheaper AMD cards

Actually it's Microsoft pushing DirectX12, AMD just supports it first and Nvidia drags their feet because they're too busy ripping off dumb kids.

Vulkan was a completely open source project that gained traction because it's much faster than OpenGL which is now deprecated.

So it's more "out with the old, in with the new" and Nvidia is just dropping the ball hard.

Even the biggest amd shill on the planet adored tv was pissed at amd for still having shit driver overhead with the release of polaris.

Let's just hope zen delivers, to actually drive down prices and press intel to do some proper r&d. 5% performance increase between generations is laughable

Nah driver overhead is a meme butthurt Nvidia owners spout, AMD drivers are fine.

>Ironic
Why? A lot of AMDs own builds use Intel. AMD's Project Quantum uses an Intel chip. AMD knows their CPUs can not preform like an Intel.

see

>what happens when they turn async compute on for Nvidia
… in one or two generations of GPUs.

Already possible even on Maxwell,
faggot

Why can't nvidia just use vulcan?

Is vulcan like an alternative to directx?

YEAH, JUST YOU WAIT FOR THE ASYNC DRIVER PATCH AMD IS FINISHED

Maxwell can do it already

they're saving it for the next Titan

>implying Nvidia wasn't holding async back all along just to release it in a new driver and BTFO AMD after everyone got hyped over the 480

In the future we won't need preemption

...wait

>"slower" with larger batches
Slow enough to get the driver killed is not stable in any way or form

>it still performs worse than Nvidia even pre-vulkan

How is that BTFO again?

>implying I don't poop out gold and don't care about the price of add-ins cards that serve a small purpose

Async is a meme. It barely even matters.

delet this

Epic thread family

no
opengl is easy to use and get started with, it's not going anywhere.

async = stuttering

>I'm a retard.

>this whole post

LMAO opengl is dead.

For a $200 card it's crazy what people have been doing to it. [ONLY FOR A SHORT BURST] 2000Mhz on mem and 1700 on the core.

>1070 is maxwell 7,5

Why only short burst?
Instabity or destruction of PCIe?

Vulkan may be an open technology, but it's based in Mantle, which is optimized for the AMD microarchitecture. So is Vulkan.

You can't expect a technology optimized for AMD GPUs to run good on any NVIDIA card.

Source?

>Instabity- Like all cards do when pushed to their limits

>destruction of PCIe- It never killed a board and the PCIe part was fixed even if it pushed the 6 pin out of spec. You're memes are weak around here cowboy.

But it's ok when AMD does it :^)

literally who cares

if you want modern games to be even halfway playable then buy a 1080

budget cards are for budget games

>Proprietary code premade and given to devs
>Devs have no idea what it actually does and it turns out it fucks over everything that isn't current gen NVidia
vs
>Open standard that NVidia has been a part of making and has been in development for quite some time
Oh yeah, totally the same thing. AMD are evil child eaters.

So what? I can OC my 670gtx to really huge numbers in 3dmark as well, but same OC crashes in any game 2min in to the game.

not in dx11 and opengl. that's why AMD created Mantle.

Nvidia already uses it.

Yes it is an alternative to dx12.

Nvidia were pushing Vulkan even harder than AMD until recently.

AMD has been developing ASync for some time now waiting for the industry to play catch up but they haven't thats why Mantel was made. Mantle was also made available to Nvidia but Nvidia said no thanks and pushed a driver for BF4 when shit went south. Thats nvidia's fuck up.

>Amd has to actually pay devs to use these api's

I guess AMD pays the devs of BF1, Quantum Break, Tomb Raider, Hitman, AoTS, Civilization VI, CS Go is getting a Vulkan driver......All paid shills I guess.

Are you aware Nvidia would have had to rewrite Mantle entirely to make it work on their GPUs?

then what did they do with Vulkan? it is Mantle 2.0 basicly.

2000mhz(8Gbps effective) is the default memory clock for 8GB cards, sherlock.

>AMD has higher frame time

No shit sherlock. Lower FPS means more time is spent on drawing each frame, ergo the frame time is higher. One is direct consequence of the other.

He doesn't know that lmfao.

>Actually it's Microsoft pushing DirectX12, AMD just supports it first

Nah, AMD created Mantle, which was then "adopted" into Vulkan and DX12.

>Gimping games with proprietary blackbox-middleware
>It's the same as using an open API which works better on your cards

I wonder what excuse you will have once DX12 hits with similar results. :^)