Napster never shared copyrighted content, so what did they do wrong?

Napster never shared copyrighted content, so what did they do wrong?

They facilitated it.

Yes they did.

Underageb&

>what is p2p

He might've been 3 when Napster shut down 15 years ago.

>"When Napster told the district court that it had developed a technology to block the transfer of 99.4 percent of identified infringing material, the district court told counsel for Napster 99.4 percent was not good enough. Napster had to push the infringements 'down to zero.' If 99.4 percent is not good enough," Lessig concluded, "then this is a war on file-sharing technologies, not a war on copyright infringement."

RIP 1st amendment ;_;

Only 15 years? Holy sheet, I was 14 back then, but still, it feels like it was a 100 years ago.

Mr. Chairman, Senator Leahy, Members of the Committee, my name is Lars Ulrich. I was born in Denmark. In 1980, as a teenager, my parents and I came to America. I started a band named Metallica in 1981 with my best friend James Hetfield. By 1983 we had released our first record, and by 1985 we were no longer living below the poverty line. Since then, we've been very fortunate to achieve a great level of success in the music business throughout the world. It's the classic American dream come true. I'm very honored to be here in this country, and to appear in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee today.

Earlier this year, while completing work on a song for the movie Mission Impossible-2, we were startled to hear reports that a work-in- progress version was already being played on some U.S radio stations. We traced the source of this leak to a corporation called Napster. Additionally, we learned that all of our previously recorded copyrighted songs were, via Napster, available for anyone around the world to download from the Internet in a digital format known as MP3. As you are probably aware, we became the first artists to sue Napster, and have been quite vocal about it as well. That's undoubtedly why you invited me to this hearing.

We have many issues with Napster. First and foremost: Napster hijacked our music without asking. They never sought our permission-our catalog of music simply became available as free downloads on the Napster system.

I don't have a problem with any artist voluntarily distributing his or her songs through any means the artist elects-- at no cost to the consumer, if that's what the artist wants. But just like a carpenter who crafts a table gets to decide whether to keep it, sell it or give it away , shouldn't we have the same options? My band authored the music which is Napster's lifeblood. We should decide what happens to it, not Napster -- a company with no rights in our recordings, which never invested a penny in Metallica's music or had anything to do with its creation. The choice has been taken away from us.

What about the users of Napster, the music consumers? It's like each of them won one of those contests where you get turned loose in a store for five minutes and get to keep everything you can load into your shopping cart. With Napster, though, there's no time limit and everyone's a winner-except the artist. Every song by every artist is available for download at no cost and, of course, with no payment to the artist, the songwriter or the copyright holder.

If you're not fortunate enough to own a computer, there's only one way to assemble a music collection the equivalent of a Napster user's: theft. Walk into a record store, grab what you want and walk out. The difference is that the familiar phrase a computer user hears, "File's done," is replaced by another familiar phrase-"You're under arrest."

Since what I do is make music, let's talk about the recording artist for a moment. When Metallica makes an album we spend many months and many hundreds of thousands of our own dollars writing and recording. We also contribute our inspiration and perspiration. It's what we do for a living. Even though we're passionate about it, it's our job.

We typically employ a record producer, recording engineers, programmers, assistants and, occasionally, other musicians. We rent time for months at recording studios which are owned by small businessmen who have risked their own capital to buy, maintain and constantly upgrade very expensive equipment and facilities. Our record releases are supported by hundreds of record company employees and provide programming for numerous radio and television stations. Add it all up and you have an industry with many jobs--a very few glamorous ones like ours -- and a greater number of demanding ones covering all levels of the pay scale for wages which support families and contribute to our economy.
Remember too, that my band, Metallica, is fortunate enough to make a great living from what it does. Most artists are barely earning a decent wage and need every source of revenue available to scrape by. Also keep in mind that the primary source of income for most songwriters is from the sale of records. Every time a Napster enthusiast downloads a song, it takes money from the pockets of all these members of the creative community.

the MPAA is a gangster syndicate

dont fuck with them, they dont care about science or technology or logic only assjammin.

It's clear, then, that if music is free for downloading, the music industry is not viable; all the jobs I just talked about will be lost and the diverse voiceIt's clear, then, that if music is free for downloading, the music industry is not viable; all the jobs I just talked about will be lost and the diverse voices of the artists will disappear. The argument I hear a lot, that "music should be free," must then mean that musicians should work for free. Nobody else works for free. Why shouldIn economic terms, music is referred to as intellectual property, as are films, television programs, books, computer software, video games, and the like. As a nation, the U.S has excelled in the creation of intellectual property, and collectively, it is this country's most valuable export.

The backbone for the success of our intellectual property business is the protection that Congress has provided with the copyright statutes. No information-based industry can thrive without this protection. Our current political dialog about trade with China is focused on how we must get that country to respect and enforce copyrights. How can we continue to take that position if we let our own copyright laws wither in the face of technology?

Make no mistake, Metallica is not anti-technology. When we made our first album, the majority of sales were in the vinyl record format. By the late 1980's, cassette sales accounted for over 50% of the market. Now, the compact disc dominates. If the next format is a form of digital downloading from the Internet with distribution and manufacturing savings passed on to the American consumer, then, of course, we will embrace that format too.

But how can we embrace a new format and sell our music for a fair price when someone, with a few lines of code, and no investment costs, creative input or marketing expenses, simply gives it away? How does this square with the level playing field of the capitalist system? In Napster's brave new world, what free market economy models support our ability to compete? The touted "new paradigm" that the Internet gurus tell us we Luddites must adopt sounds to me like old-fashioned trafficking in stolen goods.

We have to find a way to welcome the technological advances and cost savings of the Internet while not destroying the artistic diversity and the international success that has made our intellectual property industries the greatest in the world. Allowing our copyright protections to deteriorate is, in my view, bad policy, both economically and artistically.

To underscore what I've spoken about today, I'd like to read from the "Terms of Use" section of the Napster Internet web site. When you use Napster you are basically agreeing to a contract that includes the following terms:

BLA BLA BLA

Mr. Chairman, Senator Leahy and Members of the Committee, the title of today's hearing asks the question, "The Future of the Internet: Is there an Upside to Downloading"? My answer is yes. However, as I hope my remarks have made clear, this can only occur when artists' choices are respected and their creative efforts protected.

Thank you.
i
Thank you.

I was in middle school when Napster was around
I think Kazaa was the new hotness while I was a freshman and sophomore in high school
Then I switched over to torrenting

It's pretty easy:

Make music accessible for a bunch of people = no one cares

But if it gets too big, there's just too muhc delicious dollars running through the fingers of the greedy music/movie industry. So they kick somebodies ass, big time.

That's what happend to kim dot com, that's what even happend to youtube: they got too much public attention.

What about torrentjng then? Why hasn't it been shut down?

OFF TO NEVER NEVER LAND!!

A whole lot of piracy sites have been shut down, but it's pretty hard to get rid of p2p systems entirely.

You mean like what they did to thepiratebay?

Did they ever actually bother to find out who got a hold of their song and leaked it to napster? That seems like a better route than suing the whole system

there was not nsa on internet back then. so no witch-hunting.

Keeping things from being leaked was still a thing back the even if it involved less the NAS and more about keeping a list of who has access to your shit

/thread

Lars Ulrich confirmed a retard.

Why didn't they sue Google as well? They make lots of Metallica songs pirateable in the same way.

A bunch of torrent-related sites shut down one way or another. The only one I really cared about was demonoid, because they had a bunch of really old & rare stuff, like magazines and books from 30+ years ago.

Even just plain (not torrent related) file search engines got shut down. filecrop.com for example, but there were others that suffered the same fate. And none of these sites stored any files at all, they were just search engines.

It's obvious that all Western countries are really just police states when you look at how they twist their laws to attack P2P services. When people go to court, the verdict is already decided on and the trial is just for show. Sure, if your case is politically insignificant, you might get a fair trial, but not in these kind of cases.

Demonoid is back, though, but I think a lot of the old content isn't avaliable anymore ;_;

Still, your old account should work. Mine did.

Back to Sup Forums and stay there until you learn a thing or two about P2P

See