What is the best price/performance cooler these days? Is the Hyper 212 EVO still king...

What is the best price/performance cooler these days? Is the Hyper 212 EVO still king? Is there something noticeably better within $10 or $15?

Stock coolers on non-OC models are easily enough to keep the CPU from overheating, and if you're going to bother OC'ing you should spend more than $20 on a CPU Cooler.

How about making a suggestion about a product instead of posting something everybody knows

>CPU comes with a cooler
>The cooler just works.

Gee whiz how the fuck did you figure that out, genius?

>a suggestion about a product
Cooling a CPU isn't rocket science. Pretty much every single fucking cooler on the market works. Read some reviews and use your brain. Is it worth it paying $50 more to have your CPU run 2 °C cooler?

Yeah, and every single car on the road runs when you accelerate, but no all of them are worth the same. There are huge differences between products.

Use your brain you fucking moron, holy shit.

I like chainsaws in my computer also.

This is so fucking stupid. There are differences in quality, materials, included fan(s), heat transfer method, size, design style, installation requirements/ease, sound produced by fan, static pressure capabilities of fans, sound produced by radiator interacting with the air, whether x amount of rpm will run it silently while also keeping it sufficiently cool, whether it is known to interfere with other components physically, even the shape of the radiator plays such a big part, that Noctua has teams working on 5 different protypes for the next big radiator and fan.

>Lol I use the cheapest thing I find at the flea market and everyone else is stupid for having money and spending it on quality products XD

>durr hurr so many things
Only 2 things matter, the heat it dissipates (you know, that's what the TDP for CPUs is there for) and noise. You get diminishing returns for everything costing $20+.

My hyper evo 212 w x 2 corsair quiet edition fans keeps my FX8350 at 11°c idle.

well I for one like having a silent pc. That's why I invested 40 bucks in an aftermarket cooler which will last me a few cpu generations to come.
Come at me bro

what's the ambient temperature?

I have just the stock fan with a 212 on my 8350, and the idle is 35c ish. 80F ambient tho. Do you have the fans ramped up high?

Im sorry im not familiar with that.

Room temperature nigga

I made the mistake of buying the none pwm 120 mm quiet editions so i guess they are case fans. They only have 3 pins, not 4 like the cpu fan slot has but i plugged them into it anyway. It appears they run at one consistant speed all the time unless the systen is sleeping. During load, playing Overwatch, cpu temp hits about 30-40ish c. I will probably one day replace them with real pwm fans.

Regardless of all this i still can never hear them.

Scythe Kotetsu

Sorry, its probably about 73-74 spiking at about 76, in central TX

While a stock cooler is 'functional', they're often very fucking loud and just manage to keep your CPU from turning off due to heat. They're just enough to get by. Where as $20 spent can get you a cooler with a much quieter fan and significantly better performance.

I run a 212 on my i7-6700. It performs very well. 25C~ idle, 46C~ load. There are a couple of popular alternatives, The Cryorig H7 is a good choice along with the Scythe Kotetsu mentioned here -Still, I personally recommend the 212 Evo, there is a reason it's so damn popular. The only thing that sucks is the included thermal paste. It has the consistency of water, but I imagine that's always true with coolers. Be sure to pick up some Arctic Silver 5 or equivalent thermal paste to use instead.

using a aftermarket cooler on a non K chip

why on earth would you even bother and don't you dare say its because i want it to run cooler so it lasts longer.

I live in Florida. I don't want a 60C-80C degree chip making our rooms any fucking hotter than they already are.

>Still, I personally recommend the 212 Evo, there is a reason it's so damn popular.

Many shit products are popular. It doesn't mean anything. IE still has ~30% of market share.

Scythe Kotetsu is objectively better and it's not even close.

You're comparing a product that exists in a segment where the vast majority of people know what they're buying and how effective it is against Internet Explorer, a product that is only used now by people who simply do not know any better.

Your comparison is garbage.

212 is old there's been equal or better ones for awhile. Raijentek aidos or cryorig h7.

Not as garbage as saying "there's a reason it's popular".
Either present facts or fuck off.

Yes, Raijintek has better P/P coolers as well.

I'm not even going to qualify your statement with the time.

I'm only going to reply to let you know you're wrong and butthurt.

why care about cost when you can have a QT pie like this?

OP, do you know how many threads we have on building a computer every day? There are dozens. And every time it's the same thing, "Sup Forums, new to computer, do everything for me and I buy" or the classic "I want to play videogames so build me a computer". Well OP, as a seasoned Sup Forums-browser, I'd like to tell you to go fuck yourself. Have you ever heard of Logical Increments? Well then go google it, you lazy worthless sack of shit. And as I sit here eating my Subway Tuscan Chicken Melt Sub I come to wonder, why is there such a constant influx of idiot aspies? One can only wonder, but I'll assume you are either from Sup Forums or Sup Forums. I would also like to take a minute to tell you to go back to your cesspool of shit and to kindly not come back to Sup Forums unless you have something worthwhile to contribute. I'm not trying to be offensive to you, it's just that I hate lazy sperglords like you. You do know that the internet is a very large resource with a wealth of information right? Well did it ever come across your mind that somehow, _somewhere_, there might be a place that is actually dedicated to helping people with their first build, that isn't Sup Forums? Of course it wouldn't, because you're a thoughtless shitstain. Your specs are shit, your build is shit, and you're shit. But what else is to be expected of a cock-mongling niglet of such status as yourself? As I stated before, go back to whatever cesspool of shit you came from, and please, never return here again.
-Sup Forums

Here is a radical idea

Swap the fan for a $5 low noise one

>Is the Hyper 212 EVO still king?
nope
still good, but cryorig h5/h7 coolers overtake it in every way including it's own price bracket.

noctua coolers are the cream of the crop IIRC however.

There's a new version of the 212 Evo. Forgot what it's called.
It's about $15 more expensive and is a couple degrees cooler

Does anybody remember that guy who painted the top fin on the 212 EVO? Man it looked good. Do all I need to do is find paint for aluminum?

wrong, i have a 6800K and i installed the pretty larger(compared to the 6800K's stock) 1090T stock cooler on it and it overheats pretty bad, especially in games. so yeah, you need an aftermarket for anything actually good

You go to your local hobby shop.
You look for paint section.
Now there comes the hard part: there will be multiple types:
wood
concrete/wall/plaster
metal
You pick metal if your cooler is from metal, otherwise pick wood. Also some are made for extreme conditions like rain or wide ranges of temperatures. I suggest to pick some for high temperature :-)
It also comes in spray if you are really lazy or when you decide to paint your whole case.

If you want universal black matte spray paint that sticks to anything, you want Montana Black.

Well I have a white mobo and ram, black case. Purple LEDs.
What do you think, black or white?

It doesn't matter how hot the chip is at a given time, the total heat output will be the same anyway, whether or not you have a fan blowing it all away.

idk, I have no sense of style
they have fuckton of other colors anyway if you want purple or something, Montana Black is name of their product line

The fan cools the air so it makes the room less warm. Basic thermodynamics brah.

Thanks brother, Montana it is.

so you're talking outta your ass.
air-cooling can never cool below ambient temperature.
unless texas stops adhering to the laws of thermodynamics. who knows.

No, it's just usual "AMD heat sensor going nuts under 30c" episode

AMDs temperature sensors in action here, my FX-6350 was running at 17c for a while, it seems to have fixed itself now

You share air with these kind of """"people"""".

have you guys tried rubbing your penis on a cpu while it's running some hot games?

>While a stock cooler is 'functional', they're often very fucking loud and just manage to keep your CPU from turning off due to heat.

my hawell i5 has never gone above 55c with the stock cooler AND the little bit of paste that came pre-applied. With the correct version of prime95 I barely see over 60c, even after several months nothing has changed. That's not even enough to throttle me to the base clock let alone cause it to go below base clock or shut down.

so............... you're wrong.

@op, 212 evo has great price:performance but thats about where it ends, inconsistent quality control, shitty sleeve bearing fan, and retard huge tower design limit its longevity, not to mention the ass-pained installation process that feels rickety afterwards no matter what socket it's on... And i found that even with the lowest profile RAM possible I could barely get one onto my old M4A78LT, god help you if you bought that g.skill red xtreme cooled red shark fin ram that every non-skylake build for the past 2 yrs has used. Most ddr4 is similarly retarded.

all-in-all for the price it's good, but longevity is an issue and in more cases than is really acceptable it just doesn't fit on MATX boards

While badass looking, it doesn't really perform all that great. Can't blame em, even the noctua equivalent is pretty warm.

There's no QA issues with 212 EVO. The fan is fine.
Stop shitposting against a perfectly fine cpu cooler because it doesn't fit in your faggy memeatx build.

H5/h7 for a little more, aidos for less. 212 has been dethroned for a bit now.

What you call common sense is not actually prevalent knowledge.

The fact that OP asked a recommendation on a CPU cooler between $10-15 shows how much of this is actually unknown.

Really? because I ended up getting a second one for a second build because the brackets were bent in such a way from the old socket type that it would not cool with the tower upright due to tilt, and the replacement had a problem with one of the 'heat pipes' not being properly sealed, still cooled alright but not as well as most other peoples.

You probably broke it somehow. Most people are reckless and inattentive. Probably all your fault.

not really, i'm in that sweet spot where i've put together enough computers to know what im doing but i haven't done it so much that it's completely dull and i rush to get it done quicker.

Everybody makes mistakes my lad.

To fucking loud.Gay shit 80mm fans.
I have had a 212 for a few years and it is a good one.
But I put this one in my flatmates computer and its much quieter because 140mm I guess. Even more of a bitch to install though. Just a little more expensive. Phanteks PH-TC14S

Quieter

>I dont think you know as much as you think you know.
Learning is not a bad thing, not taking responsibility for a mistake will have you do it again. You do have to be pretty rough on the 212 but you do get the feel of it.

Do you even fucking laws of physics? Where do you think all of the heat goes if you have a 212 Evo on a CPU versus the stock cooler? The same fucking place, your room you inbred.

Not the same person but I think you have this wrong. If you have a heater at a low temperature it does not heat the room the same as a heater on high. My hyper 212 runs at about 20-25c under casual use. This is alot cooler than the 50c I would get from a stock cooler. If the temperature is only getting to 25c its not possible for it to heat it to 50c like the stock cooler would allow. Also the 212 has vapor chambers which create a small amount of wind chill. I'm not a physicist but I think your wrong. Also chill faggot.

Cryorig coolers look nice and seem to perform well, not sure why they aren't more popular

Its still king. Quite and my 4690k never exceeds above 70c while overclocked. Even during stress tests.

I'm using the cryorig H7 right now
better looking imo and performs slightly better but I dont think it dethrones the 212

I love their April fools shit. pic related

Why is everyone ITT shilling Cryorig when this is proven to give better thermals and lower sound at the same price

>212 EVO
Why do people still recommend the old version instead of the new Hyper 212x TURBO

Do you even understand why it runs at 25c? It's because the heat is being dissipated into the air. Heat doesn't disappear, you could argue that if it's 50c it's probably concentrating the heat inside the case, instead of expelling it, possibly making the room colder than running it at 25c.

I really wish that this is bait and that there are not people like this going around not knowing basic physics.

Acoustics?

Are you fucking retarded?

Thermalright True Spirit 140 BW Rev. A

I found a 212 plus at a goodwill brandnew for five bucks and forgot to grab it on the way out :c

Im thinking bout ditching my 212 for a flatter cooler but most of them either get shit reviews or look like shit. This guy and the Coolmaster M4 look like good choices though

Load of poo poo desu, I replaced my stock cooler with a 212 evo and I'm 20 degrees cooler under load.

>Buy 212 EVO
>Lose mount
>Buy second EVO cause cheap
>Twin fan EVO

It takes up a lot of fucking room though

Look at the Dark Rock TF. It's basically a horizontal two tower cooler.

I'm actually about to pick one up to replace an AIO.

does a good tower cooler with 92mm fan for over clocking exist aside from the one from noctua? 120mm ones seems its about to hit the backplate of my graphics card. Should i just go aio water cooler?

I like my AIO. I don't intend on doing it for the gpu ever again, though. too many tubes

I like mine too, I just decided I like air better even if it's a little hotter under load.

Too many AIOs have bullshit software, plus as you said, tubes. Plus I'm starting to feel the radiator is restricting case airflow to everything else on these hot summer days.

I like the cam software my nzxt came with. works with their fan controller as well. fortunately for me air flow is not a problem as the drive cages are removed and the psu has its own vent at the bottom of the case. going completely air cooled is much quieter, but I like the look of an AIO for the cpu. I don't like it for the gpu though. Never again

>swap the fan on a stock intel cooler

Boy you sure are fucking stupid