Coding Is Over

>has only a year of experience after "graduating" from "coding bootcamp"

>declares the field dead

medium.com/@loorinm/coding-is-over-6d653abe8da8

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@michaelwestermann/look-out-everyone-the-new-girl-knows-what-shes-talking-about-time-to-pack-it-up-b3b8abb9ba7#.a1epglr1d
youtube.com/watch?v=yBU0tV_UcUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Top kek

These hipsters are all retarded.

>Be Mechanical Engineer in 1950s
>"Well the car has been made, now what's the point of making new cars?"

Tell me one new car that really makes your life better compared to a car from 1960

>lauren

Should have stopped reading there.

Fuucking white CIS male.

>Aerialist
>SF native

We need to drop a fucking nuke on San Francisco.

toyota prius

>drop a fucking nuke on San Francisco

This.

pretty much any modern car.

All of them, pretty much. Fuel efficiency wasn't a concern back then, and safety was far, far worse. Not to mention comfort or soundproofing.

Mazda Miata

Drop the next one in Portland.

>get to the bottom
>name pops up
>realize its a female
Opinion discarded.

Basically this.

Of course, after waiting for the survivors to migrate there first.

N-no.

What's it like being a San Francisco elite that lives a delusional worldview where they think that coding really does change the world?

Tesla with Autopilot

React.js is going to save the world.

As someone who's self-taught and has worked in the field for over a decade, when I see ANYONE from these "coding camps" speaking confidently at any level makes my head explode.

This blog entry sounds like internal chatter someone has after smoking a bowl of marijuana.

Holy shit you are retarded, literally kys my man

You got a problem with marijuana gramps?

man those comments on that page.
Everyone saying more or less, "you go girl!"
Cheering on someone's retarded declaration.

I'm all for someone making something that makes coding less difficult for people, if that's what they want.

However, declaring coding "dead" or useless is like saying all logic is fucking useless.
The fuck are you going to do when you can't find an "app" to help you "program" something? You're fucked.

Which makes perfect sense since I'm witnessing someone choosing to be stupid.

Whatever happened that thing where (famous) people were saying coders are going to be tomorrows rock stars?
I can't say i agree with that either, but at least it doesn't encourage retarding tech society.

idk maybe I'm just mad and out of touch with whats hip, or tech today cause i program in assembly all day for a living.

I fucking hate them. They seriously go through life thinking they have to be part of the next best thing and can't just appreciate making well above the median income of young-middle aged Americans. I'm happy when I solve a tough bug or algorithm issue at work, than I go home and fuck my girlfriend and pretend I can draw. What reasonable human being that anyone could stand to spend time with would get excited by shit like this? I would punch them in the mouth and kick them out of my home.

fucking sucks, cause Portland is actually fairly nice if it weren't for the scum and yuppies.

You sir, figured out the meaning to life there.

>Real engineers code, they say, and coding is what makes you a great engineer.
>coding is what makes you a great engineer.

nobody ever said this

>Coding
>app
>coding
>apps
>apps
>apps
>Coding
>code
>coding
>coding
>coding skillz
>coder
>Coding
>Coding
>app
>code
>apps
>coding
>apps
>coding

This was a painful read.

No, I'm a huge pothead. I just meant that the whole post is drivel.

>Make a webapp using ssh sftp, audacity, bash, and php in under 5 minutes for a simple in home paging system.

>literally: i cant deal with differnt data types all my software is bugs
why do people complain about this do you have no shame?

knowing how to work on and design something makes you an engineer.

Coding just a tool.
lowest level tool since its just math.

Are you implying that you have to be a smug piece of shit in order to genuinely enjoy programming as a hobby and profession?

long as you don't falsely act like some kind of smug asshole that thinks they're a god, no.

What does smug mean to you?
I bet I would trigger the shit out of you by virtue of carrying a laptop everywhere.

So she's:
>a webshit
>a webshit who only BECAME a webshit because of a fucking bootcamp
>a webshit spawn of a bootcamp in SF actually COMPLAINING that programming is DIFFICULT and takes TIME to learn and do
And for the article itself
>coding/apps everywhere ad nauseum
>beta orbiters in the comments stuttering out "y-y-your go girl! s-silly b-boys are just haters!"
Medium just needs to be put in the trash, honestly.

>We should be throwing data into a pile and databases should organize and optimize themselves using machine learning and other buzzwords. People should not be writing database schemas, because we inevitably get it wrong. Database design is an optimization algorithm, not an area of engineering.
spoken like someone who has no actual experience with machine learning

nah, i carry a laptop nearly everywhere.
Wanna work on something outside the cubicle/bedroom, that's cool.

I just cant stand the fucks that just KNOW theyre going to be the next facebook, or next AAA-indie game company. And fucking try to tell everyone. I'm not in SF, but got a of fucks around here like that.

Let the passion of a project drive you, not a "chase for fame"

>For all the fervor and allegiance around open source, most of the projects suck, aren’t maintained, and aren’t used at the enterprise level. Companies end up “rolling their own” and duplicating work.

Reee desu.

If this means that hipsters and SJWs will finally leave, then please die fast.

Jesus fucking Christ
I admit, I'm a pretty shit developer and I work on webshit, mostly on the back end, but even I know this person is fucking delusional. They truly have no idea what they're on about
Have they even ever worked for a client?

>actually reading all that shit
Damn user...

literally any modern car
>safer
>more fuel efficient
>more comfortable(a/c,sat radio,heated seats)
>more powerful

It's a woman. She's just being herself and trying to lessen the competition. The less people take up coding, the more valuable she'll be with her newfound knowledge..

>We should be throwing data into a pile and databases should organize and optimize themselves using machine learning and other buzzwords.

That's the turing award right there

Thank god these people exist, they're the reason I got 4k per month as entry salary

>seatbelts
>power steering
>radio
>heater and AC
>electronic windows
>digital displays
>more seats
>faster
>stronger
>goes farther
>automatic
>cupholders

>normie goes into profession for autists
>complains it doesn't pander to their normie needs

But.. does it make your life better?

Maybe he is just very clever.

Would you rather have a nuke dropped on San Francisco or Mecca?

Only after we kill every last person who has ever posted on Sup Forums

Careful with that edge, eugene.

>software """"""""""""""""""""engineer"""""""""""""""""

React is ruining it. One good point that's made in that article, is that most 'programs' look the same and generally act the same. And that's true. So why are we writing more code to produce the same shit (test, framework boilerplate, task runner scripts)?

A fair point, badly made.

What people should really worry about, are dependencies they can't account for. That's what the current trend is.

That's why React/Grunt/Angular/Whatever the fuck is shit. People just add it because Facebook/Google/Whoever the fuck force it down our throats.

Anything modern. Higher safety standards, better fuel economy, and pretty much faster as well.

Coding is not math, because math lacks a formulation for feedback (i.e., while loops), and code must always be discrete and stateful. They're similar in some regards, but that similarity gets massively overplayed.

>TFW going off social media becomes the hip thing to do
>they all take their flannel shirts, patchy beards, and etsy brand barn wood and build cabins in the middle of nowhere.

Electronic fuel injection is one of the most important advancements in the history of cars.
t. someone who owns an Alfa Romeo with a SPICA mechanical injector

They're similar because they require overlapping skills to do. They both require precise logical problem solving skills. In maths, you need to solve it according to the rules of maths and likewise for programming. Different rules for different issues.

Oh fuck, not this shit again

The person I replied to said "Coding [...] [is] just math." While it's true that both disciplines require abductive reasoning skills and delusion about your role in the problem-solving process, that doesn't make coding math or vice versa. Otherwise I could plausibly say something like "guessing the killer in a mystery story is just coding."

>Product Managers should be able to just make the app do what it’s supposed to do, without knowing how to code at all.

That's how your shitty site will get hacked and turned into a malware distribution center, until the host disables your whole account.

I couldn't live without satellite radio thb

>reverse-google the url
>twitter, twitter, facebook, more twitter

fuck

off

>Automatic
>Better

>at some point, “IT person” became “developer” which became “software engineer”
Stopped reading there

But product managers already don't know how to code at all, by my experience

Look at all the virtue signalling faggots in the comments praising her.

Software is so fucking ubiquitous that the demand for it isn't going anywhere, especially for people with actual computer science degrees.

Guys, she got blown the fuck out in the comments.

medium.com/@michaelwestermann/look-out-everyone-the-new-girl-knows-what-shes-talking-about-time-to-pack-it-up-b3b8abb9ba7#.a1epglr1d

>some faggot instantly defends her
Fucking whiteknights...

Yeah, thank god for efi. The more I read about how engines work the more retarded carb lovers seem. EFI is basically always lagging behind little trying to supply what the engine needs at the time It needs but It's still a system that makes a lot of guesses, educated guesses but still guesses. Meanwhile carburetors are like retards running late trying to give what the engine wants In a very shitty matter and obviously a pretty shitty job, wasting fuel and power In the process.

While EFI tries to get the closest possible to perfect engine operation carburetors just say fuck it and throw a shitload of fuel into the engine.

The negative comment had over 100 times the upvotes of any of the other comments.

I'm excited by solving problems and bugs, actually. That's the high I always try to chase when I program. I don't give a fuck about changing the world. It's just a great feeling when your shit just werks

My current car has speed limiting which doesn't let me accelerate past a set speed limit. Doesn't sound like much but It's heavens gift in a speed trap ridden city such as mine. Just have to step on the gas and brake, no need to ever even glance at the speedo.

react is a forced meme in real life. facebook with their endless marketing budget can put on huge conferences and pay their employees to shill their framework online. i have seriously gotten into arguments with facebook employees wherever react is discussed.

and it's a rather trivial technology, i don't get why anyone would get excited about yet another way to manipulate DOM nodes, or another way to do RPC (graphql), other than the fact that it's facebook and presumably of high quality. spoiler: it's not. and if you look around there's plenty of other projects that aren't funded by giant corporations that actually perform better in benchmarks and have nicer APIs to boot.

It's not coding.
It's programming.

Just like how Linux is actually GNU/Linux.

Dam I hate open office floor plans.

My cubicle allows me to browse whatever I want.

This

It makes me less likely to die in a car accident, so yes

Hey now Portland is a pretty decent place, if all the shitty rich white people stopped coming from SF and the East Coast

By the time the SJWs moved in with their "Code of conduct" and donglegate bullshit, coding as we know it was pretty much dead.

ABS has gotten me out of a sticky situation.
>Driving about 50km/hr just left home for work.
>See some random shit and get distracted/zone out
>Turn back to the road
>Dont realize that the car in front of me has come to a stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.
>Realize
>Jam brakes hard and safely manouver around the stopped car with brake planted firmly to the floor.
If I had skidded I would have crashed because there's no way I would have stopped or been able to turn with the tires sliding.
Thanks ABS, nothing bad happened that day.

You do not know anything about engines.

>proven fact (probably)
Well is it or isn't it? Stopped reading.

>shitty rich white people
At least its not niggers, it could be Detroit.

>Fuel efficiency wasn't a concern back then
many older cars have better gas mileage than current day cars purely because they weigh less and were much smaller

sure, it's true they were not nearly as safe, but they definitely didn't have that bad gas mileage

please leave my poo poo in my bum bum :(

She's 100% right. Only white males pretend otherwise.

She has a point. Most apps are just reinventing the wheel and programming itself has never been anything more than a means to an end.

Why, is San Frenchisco not free enough?

>kys
that's lewd man

youtube.com/watch?v=yBU0tV_UcUw

anime prius

Huh, is it just me and Firefox?

It's burst already?

damn, you'd have to be pretty deep in the sf bubble to have a view like this

I'm not particularly worried about these coding bootcamps and shit.

Most people nowadays still don't know how to code. And I mean actually code. Even in engineering programs where they're trying to introduce people to computer-based methods of analyzing data and number crunching most students are terrified of any kind of loop. Even if statements are enough to make them piss themselves sometimes.