Fingerprinting Thread

browserprint.info/
panopticlick.eff.org/
ip-check.info
browserleaks.com/
browserspy.dk/

Fingerprinting is the newest way of tracking you across websites.
It's being done right now by companies like Google.
Because unlike cookie based tracking you can't defeat it just by disabling cookies.
There is currently NO FOOLPROOF DEFENCE against fingerprinting (except quitting the Internet).

Google's privacy policy states
>Other technologies are used for similar purposes as a cookie on other platforms where cookies are not available or applicable
google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/key-terms/#toc-terms-cookie

ReCAPTCHA probably contains fingerprinting code:
archive.is/9K5gs
This means that the majority of Sup Forums users could be being fingerprinted, and Google might know about your shitposting habits even if cookies are disabled.

Google releases limited hangout of how much they know about you:
news.slashdot.org/story/16/06/29/2038257/googles-my-activity-reveals-how-much-it-knows-about-you
>Oh, they're just remembering what YouTube videos I watched, nothing creepy about that, I already knew they were doing it!
>I guess all those people who fear tracking really are just conspiracy theorists!

Daily reminder to do all your Amazon / eBay / LinkedIn / botnet shit in a completely separate browser to your Googling or buying shit.
It's currently the ONLY way to truly defend against fingerprint tracking.
Double points if you have each browser running in a different VM with a different OS.
Triple points if you have each browser's VM configured with a different VPN connection.

Could the FP-Block browser extension be exactly what we're looking for?
Too bad it's unstable as fuck.
satoss.uni.lu/software/fp-block/

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-canvas-fingerprinting/?src=ss
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clear-console/?src=ss
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/?src=ss
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/canvasblocker
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/copy-urls-expert/?src=ss
multiloginapp.com/how-canvas-fingerprint-blockers-make-you-easily-trackable/
wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Tor_Uplift/Tracking
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-canvas-fingerprinting/?src=ss

>Not available for Firefox 36.0
Damnit.
I should probably switch back from IceCat to Firefox

Check the statistics page of Browserprint.info to see what the most common screen sizes are.

Degenerate

That would work to a point.
Stuff like AudioContext fingerprints could still be used to track you.

1. Current IceCat is 38.8.0

2. Check the version history for compatible versions, though even the latest one works with my IceCat.

No, most fingerprinting sites I've seen (about two or three) even have a category of identity for TOR users, and since TOR uses FF as a base, you are still being narrowed down, though to what extent I don't know.

anyone got the pic showing how captcha tracks you and gives you Sup Forums related videos on youtube without any cookies?

I think he had cookies enabled for this though.
It's just proof of tracking in general

thanks
>I think he had cookies enabled for this though.
he didn't, i was the one who told him about it since i had already done the experiment

>You have to manually click a button to rerandomise your canvas.
That kinda limits its usefulness

i can't reproduce this at all. i won't believe it until i see a video

No. The way it works is that everytime your browser is started up, you get a new hash. You keep the same hash for the whole browsing session until you quit the browser (or it is restarted). When you open the browser again, you have a different hash.

Its explanation is that it's trerribly supsicious for you to be constantly changing hashes like that (using one for each site you visit, meaning multiple ones for one session, for instance), and only serves to point you out even more. The effect of /this/ system is that you build up one identity only to discard it for a new one later on.

It's apparently the best way to beat this as of yet.

Yeah I can't reproduce it without cookies either.
Works every time with cookies though.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clear-console/?src=ss
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/?src=ss

These two addons always let me reset the YouTube history easily. I don't know if it's cookies they use or what to track you, but you can test it. The point is that nuking everything sure as hell works.

if you're using noscript captcha it won't work
anyways now i think that idiot did leave on his cookies, you wouldn't get anything in the front page when i did the experiment either
you're supposed to click on a few videos and you'll get a "recommended for you" from infowars about trump or hillary, that's how it works

>you're supposed to click on a few videos and you'll get a "recommended for you" from infowars about trump or hillary, that's how it works
That might explain why people have been having trouble doing it without 3rd party cookies.
They're trying to conceal their fingerprinting by making the recommendations less obvious

>Clear Console by Rejah Rehim A A, Sreenath Sasikumar
>downloading a pajeetware extension instead of just pressing ctrl+shift+delete

oh and i forgot you can also get a video from the it's the current year man or a video from the daily show
yeah absolutely, they won't show you anything in the front page and i did it dozens of times but those exact recommended videos always appear alongside the stream if you posted with the captcha before going to youtube

Use this instead.
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/canvasblocker

If there's anything malware about an extension they have to give warning signs in the form of a Privacy Policy or EULA right there in the box. An easy way to tell if something is malware is to look in the comment section, where you will see one stars and shouting if so.

The "Indians" make a decent amount of good software. One example:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/copy-urls-expert/?src=ss

"Thought your canvas fingerprint blocker made you incognito? Think again.

... when it comes to canvas fingerprinting, things are not so cut-and-dry. In fact, believe it or not, using a canvas fingerprint blocker can actually make you more trackable than if you weren’t using one. That statement defies common sense, but it’s true."

multiloginapp.com/how-canvas-fingerprint-blockers-make-you-easily-trackable/

Don't do it.

>blog post promoting their own add-on
Seems like a reliable source

>The "Indians" make a decent amount of good software
>The "Indians"
>good software
hahahahhahaha oh man. That was a good one

I meant software for FF—i.e., addons.

Sure seems like the kind of thing someone would bother lying about, doesn't it?

>wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Tor_Uplift/Tracking
Wow. That's actually reasonable and responsible of them. Not what I've come to expect lately, but a welcome step forward.

It sure doesn't stop the NSA.

>would bother lying about
People come to this website exclusively to lie for fun, let alone profit like that guy.

>shitposting on Sup Forums is the same as programming a privacy extension for FF
>you can make money off said extension without including ads or even asking for donations

Explain to me how the programmer of this addon "profits" from people using it.

jump

So basically you can RSS feed from a user on nyaa? how do you get rss feeds for users on nyaa?

So how does that shit work?

its javascript mainly

without javascript allowed on the site your useragent string, http headers and installed fonts (for me anyway using linux) are the big ones

seems unavoidable to some extent without crippling functionality for a normie user

You visit a site.
The site collects information you send it normally such as HTTP headers.
The site collects additional data about your browser and computer by poking you with CSS and JavaScript.
The site can now uniquely identify you based on all the data it collected about you.
The site then shares this description of you with other sites and tells them everything you did on their website so that the other sites know.