For someone who has lost purpose in life and has body injuries and was gonna do something in the health or fitness...

For someone who has lost purpose in life and has body injuries and was gonna do something in the health or fitness field, is a career in IT a bad option? i was thinking of going to the community college near me for IT. How b ad of an idea is this? I have a basic understanding of computers and think it would be okay.

story user

Went to school for 2 years to become a personal trainer, got all A's in school and ended up flunking the cert test twice because I aimed for the highest one in the country, then had surgery because i injured my shoulder, shoulder never healed right and hurts like shit still, gonna see a chiro soon. Wanna get back into training and fitness but i am too depressed and in pain to succeed imo, and I am pretty good with computers so I figured id try this

Tell us your story, an IT degree gets you good work even in third world countries like mine.

Well at where I would go, it would just be a certificate, but a certificate of completion for the program at school. Guess it isnt really a degree since you dont have to take gen eds and such

Your injury might heal, I would wait on what the chiro says before making a decision. IT is a great field, but nothing beats doing something you actually enjoy.

I know too many people who hate their jobs despite being competent at what they do, it's not worth the salary.

If you do pursue IT, I'd recommend a full-on degree. Certs are okay but obviously less desirable unless you can really prove you know your stuff

I'm sorry user. that sucks.

I would work on learning some programming languages on your own time. Don't expect school to teach you anything. If you do decide to go for a compsci type of degree most of the people there will already have basics and understanding down or expected to anyways even if it's left unsaid. I'd consider just working on acquiring numerous certifications as you learn and go like the various cisco/ms certs and start on the ground floor or a bit higher up. Compsci degrees are alright but worthless IMO. A well run department is almost always based on meritocratic means and showing what you know is vastly more important. The paper at best just gets your foot in the door for an interview. Utilize those resources for learning.

Well you don't need a degree just some knowledge to get a work, learn some programming, how to work with servers or set up networks there are plenty of things to do in it, you can even write a fitness app or something like that since that's your area of expertise.

Well yeah it is at a accredited school but I dont think you can get an actual degree for it. Fuck, I guess maybe ill have to find somewhere else then and take the general ed courses that i dread very much. And yeah I know I love doing fitness and stuff but I do also love computers. If everything happens for a reason, maybe theres a reason I got hurt
Appreciate it man, I am just trying to find direction now. I am stagnant

>a work
I meant a job, I guess I need some sleep or the depression will kick back soon :)

There are quite a few learning resources online. You can pickup all of this in your spare time. Libraries and the internet it's truly a golden age of sorts for self taught methods. Don't get impatient and don't hesitate to ask around in online forums.

I would not get into tech considering your story.

So instead of the degree you recomend getting various certs? I can do that at this one school for 6 grand. This is the certs that come with the 6k. I think I can pick which one i wanna take first too. Its more certs as you go

You can always get a related degree, most employers I've had didn't seem to care much what my degree was as long as it was tangentially related to the field.

If you're in the US, I've heard of people taking AP courses to bypass some of the general courses like history/geography/literature

You can take certs without paying for the classes at least I could back when I kept up with them. Waste of money for the classes as they just teach for the test. You'll learn nothing.

I'm not saying it will be easy either just you have to immersed in what you're certifying for imo. Buy some old cisco gear and use it. Run an exchange server. It will help retain the knowledge you acquire while learning the practical skills for a job.

Any particular reason why? I would not want to work like whats in your webm. Just the guy a company calls when they need someone to fix a computer or something.

Yeah I feel ya, Ill have to look into that. I just wish I could jump right into the field without general eds. I get A's i classes i actually care about but do poorly in general eds
Doesnt it look way better on a resume though if you went to school to get the cert rather than take a random test online?

Might as well tell him to just learn security+ and sit there to get paid in neetbux while doing nothing except installing malware bytes

>Doesnt it look way better on a resume though if you went to school to get the cert rather than take a random test online?
Provided you have the certification why would it matter what school gave you that certification? It's not rocket science. All CNA certs are the same as are the A+ or MCP etc.

Well sure if he picks up something shallow and pedantic like an A+ and works at Best Buy he isn't going anywhere. IT is like a skilled trade where something like apprenticeship is best.

Well in anons defense this is a trade skill. If you wanna be an electrician or a welder you cant just take a test online, you go to school to learn from a professional so you can pass the test they offer you

wouldnt that be a good start for him since he has no experience really besides "good at computers." Then he can make connections and or study to progress that if he likes it.

When I got out of college in the 90's I moved out of the state and became an electrician in Florida (compsci degree yay). The class essentially like any certification class taught to the test and code book. You learned your actual trade by doing it and experiencing it. Good times.

School is fine if he can afford it. I was just trying to give him alternatives. Networking via humans is necessary as well.

Man I wanted to become an electrician but in modern day, the best way is to go through the IBEW via a connection. But I have no connections at all, so I said fuck it

I was surprised at how easy it was when I moved. Gave me some practical experience to go along with my compsci degree in my twenties till I found a job in my area. I ended up running the datacenter there and eventually doing buildouts in other parts of the country or out of country (UK Germany Ireland).

Hey man appreciate the advice. I'll be looking in the best thing to do here that I think I can complete. If I am able to understand it I should be golden, but right now I dont really know shit about anything you said lol. But I take it you are successful and do well while I am rather lost right now. So I gotta put my nose to the grindstone with something so I can learn server stuff or whatever it is you said

I'll add another piece I just remembered. If you have any sort of armed service record use it. Those guys helped each other climb the rungs or succeed. They weren't always better than mindless drones but some were top notch. If you were in the service and used that money for IT degrees that's another avenue you should look at. Marines, Coast Guard, Army, or whatever branch it didn't matter. It would help you network with others and climb the ladders.

wtf

Imo IT is like this century's office and cubicle type jobs. This is coming from watching my dad as a kid hating his jobs, having a hard time finding new ones and having a hard time moving up in the jobs that he worked.

its a job thats a dime a dozen in a never ending pit. Always gonna be people who fix shit.

you could become a coach or fitness trainer or whatever their called. Never seen a coach move much.