>only available on Google Play

Anybody else smelling a honeypot?

Why is Signal so half-assed?

Other urls found in this thread:

tox.chat/
microg.org/
github.com/WhisperSystems
whispersystems.org/blog/signal-desktop/
support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/215077857-What-is-Signal-Desktop-How-can-I-sign-up-
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Did you really expected a fucking hippie jew like moxie to deliver something not half-assed?

>moxie

You mean Matthew Rosenfeld?

His real Jewish name he keeps out of the press?

Yes, that fucking kike.

>You mean Matthew Rosenfeld?

Lol whenever he speaks to the press about his real name, he never mentions the last name. Just "Matthew".

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW unironically using this and think they're better than telegram users

Telegram is no safer than Whatsapp

Telegram is complete botnet.
Much more botnet than signal.

wtf??

i hate moxie now !!

It doesn't support opus because iOS doesn't support opus

kek

who would you talk to anyway?

Oy vey!

I like how moxie said something along the lines of "Telegram is bad because even if the crypto was secure they still don't do end-to-end encryption by default". Then OWS helped Facebook messages and Google with Allo so they can add optional end-to-end encryption with Signal protocol.

Bravo

>recommended for security
>Google play services required

>2016
>Not using Threema
lel

Signal is pointless at this point.
Might as well just use WhatsApp, which has the same encryption.

Complaining this much without giving a better alternative

>Not using Wire

tox.chat/

Why is this now also spreading to other services like whatsapp and facebook who absolutely have the resources to develop their own protocol, and are incentivized to.

It just doesn't make any sense. It's way too fishy for me.

Leaks your IP address

To make you let your guard down. To put you in a false sense of security. To make you trust FaceJew just because the Jew Moxie told you it was safe because of his protocol.

Tox over Tor

you don't need Google play services, you can replace them with micro-g and it will work
microg.org/

>trusting proprietary honeypot
jitsi, libresignal, ring, chatsecure, autistici (best name), kontalk, silence, conversations

Not perfectly

Whatsapp already supports end to end, no need for this crap anymore

through the signal protocol m8...

Prove

I
T

Will it reduce battery drain if increase the cloud messaging heartbeat interval?

Been using signal and Microg for 3 months now. Works perfectly.

Possibly. Really depends on some other things as well. Like your usage habits, sync requirements, etc.

What happens if I turn it off? I don't mind missing notifications.

>not writing your own chat client and encryption system

it's like you want to be spied upon.

Closed source. It's botnet.

Name something better that uses sms so I can talk to normie friends.

Might as well use Chatsecure + Orbot then.

L-leave Moxie Springlocket alone!

GCM, or the syncing?

You can use your phone normally even with GCM disabled, although messaging applications will suffer.

Fuck off, Durov, we aren't buying your piece of shit botnet.

>needs phone number
>doesn't let you be anonymous
>doesn't work unless you have a phone

Fuck this app.

Silence

I'll take the bait.

The protocol is open, very carefully designed, and has been adopted by WhatsApp and Google's Allo.

The decision to rely on GCM is extensively described in his blog and elsewhere. It makes the most sense for developing something that's actually usable by normal people. WhatsApp uses it too.

The code is open-source:

github.com/WhisperSystems

Signal is not only meant to give people a realistic option for end-to-end encrypted messaging, it's meant to show Unixy purists (like me) that making compromises leads to something other than the utter failure and fringe status we've become accustomed to. In the world of messaging, market share matters.

Also, OTR is entirely stagnant and lacks critical features like file transfer encryption by default. Axolotl (the protocol Signal introduced) is an intelligent but conservative revision of OTR.

>The protocol is open, very carefully designed

Yet it doesn't offer a way to use it without a cell phone number or cell phone. It's a piece of shit meant to draw people into the Google botnet.

Moxie has no affiliation with Google and has historically been hostile toward them. (There's a talk he gave about his Google account sharing add-on that picks on the company heavily, but I can't find it right now.)

Also, I don't think the protocol itself defines how contacts are made. That's the app's approach.

If he were hostile towards Google, he would to everything possible to keep people away from them. He would:

1) Make it so Signal could work without a phone number. Yes, it's fucking FINE to let people find each other Whatsapp-style, but there is no fucking reason to not allow pros to add each other manually via key exchange like scanning each others phones.

2) Make it so that GCM is not required. Yes, this can be done.

3) Make it so that you don't need a fucking PHONE to use the damn protocol. Make it work on a fucking tablet or desktop. Yes, it doesn't work on more than one device, but some people don't want to message privately on a phone, especially one that needs Google Play services on it for the app to function.

Moxie is FEEDING YOU to Google. Don't tell me it's impossible to provide other means to avoid Google. This whole excuse about normal people needing security is bullshit. Everybody needs security, and he is purposely dumbing down his software so true tinfoils can't use it and normies flock to it with their Google-monitored phones.

>Make it so Signal could work without a phone number. Yes, it's fucking FINE to let people find each other Whatsapp-style, but there is no fucking reason to not allow pros to add each other manually via key exchange like scanning each others phones.

WhatsApp uses phone numbers too, dude.

>Make it so that GCM is not required. Yes, this can be done.

It's not a priority for them, and it'd probably make the app less reliable and less efficient.

>Make it so that you don't need a fucking PHONE to use the damn protocol. Make it work on a fucking tablet or desktop. Yes, it doesn't work on more than one device, but some people don't want to message privately on a phone, especially one that needs Google Play services on it for the app to function.

whispersystems.org/blog/signal-desktop/

Do some research.

>WhatsApp uses phone numbers too, dude.

No shit, retard. My point is that Signal should not have phone numbers as the only option. Allow people to generate their userID and do a manual key exchange by scanning each others phone. Signal should have automatic mode for normies and manual mode for tinfoils.

>it'd probably make the app less reliable and less efficient.
Yes, its a low-priority thing but it has to be done if you claim to be hostile to Google.

>Do some research.
Nigger, you do some research, that desktop client relies on your phone to work, the same as Whatsapp's desktop client communicates with your phone to act as a bridge to your existing phone account. There is no true independent desktop app for Signal.

support.whispersystems.org/hc/en-us/articles/215077857-What-is-Signal-Desktop-How-can-I-sign-up-

Do you even use Signal?

Lol the autism.

>Does not require Google Play Services
>No one cares since it's a texting app
>Also available on iOS

Neither is signal.

This

>>It's not a priority for them, and it'd probably make the app less reliable and less efficient.
That's all you got?

What if I use Signal not so much for privacy but because it's a nice, open source texting app? Is there anything better?