Why do people use GRUB? Don't they know it's deprecated and clunky?

Why do people use GRUB? Don't they know it's deprecated and clunky?

Other urls found in this thread:

rodsbooks.com/refind/linux.html
rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html
dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html
askubuntu.com/a/760971
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it just werkz

I ask myself the same question. I use LILO and it just werks.

development on LILO ceased end of last year

Passed to sylinux couple days ago.
Best thing I've done in my life.

Just use systemd-boot (ex-gummiboot).

Why not syslinux?

That's depressing

>Best thing I've done in my life.
let's hope not

I don't even know why I have GRUB on any of my systems considering I don't dual boot on any. Why do I waste 5 seconds waiting for the user to select which OS they want?

Probably something to do with you being a stupid person

*shrugs*

You know you can turn of the timer right?

>not using XOSL
>not using PLOP

Because I'd rather chainload something rather then have to enter into the UEFI every single damm time I need to change OS's

WOW EPIC MEME FAMILY

living the neet dream, dawg

Systemd-boot master race

>Don't they know it's deprecated and clunky?

So is the gf but she's still a good fuck.
Grub is vastly understood by the majority of linux users, switching them over to a new epoch of booting will take a rather large pair of Doc Martins.

systemd-boot is efi only and I'm still using mbr

>Grub is vastly understood by the majority of linux users
Not since they switched to GRUB 2. Manual configuration is a pain in the ass now.

but rEFInd exists
and it can be beautiful

no other choice

Does it come preinstalled or does it self configure on install?

LILO was awesome, extremely simple and stable as fuck
But as usual, they had to fuck things up and replaced it with the clusterfuck that is GRUB

That's why we cant have nice things

Has an auto-install script. It automatically scans and detects efi executables on boot, but you can do manual configuration as well. It even detects bootable USBs and shows them. Normally it's hideous, but again you can theme it quite easily.

Man, don't you miss the joys of

LI

"They" didn't replace shit. The developer decided to call it quits. He did offer to allow another to take it over. No one wanted to.

Guess ill give it a try.

Oh I forgot, it also has a live image you can use, you can test with that if you want

UEFI was made to deprecate bootloaders

I use GRUB 2. What do you suggest I use instead?

I don't want my bootloader to be pretty, I want it to be robust, well-known, supported, compatible with every OS I may ever want to boot, present me with a useful recovery prompt in case something goes wrong, etc.

UEFI has all that

UEFI was made to deprecate firmware programmers. Now companies can outsource their shitty firmware development to indian currytech companies.

Notice how UEFI BIOSes keep getting worse and worse.

Can you show me a quick example so I understand how they compare?

For example, say I need to boot linux with a different kernel parameter to debug some issue. In GRUB, I would go to my normal bootline, press ‘e’ to edit the entry, append my kernel parameter to the “linux” line, and then hit ctrl+x to boot it.

Or for another example, say I want to pre-load an initramfs to update the intel microcode before chaining into the regular initrd, I would just add another line like “initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img” to test it out.

How would you do that from your UEFI shell / prompt / whatever?

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DISABLE "PRESS E/C FOR COMMANDLINE" HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO THAT?

HOW??/

FUCK

>ever shutting down your computer
fuck off

2nd one for example:
launch uefi shell from uefi menu
/vmlinuz-linux root= initrd=/initramfs-linux.img initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img

if you need to do this often you can save this as .nsh script

Can UEFI boot from btrfs, or zfs, or other obscure filesystems that grub supports?

I don't see any memes in that post

it can only boot from fat32 partitions

such is spec

with rEFInd simplest way to modify kernel parameters is with a line in /boot/refind_linux.conf
rodsbooks.com/refind/linux.html

rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html

Link to rEFInd theme?

dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

RTFM

Can you explain to me what exactly I'm getting from replacing program A by program B and moving my config options from /boot/programA/config to /boot/programB/config?

What actual advantage does UEFI+rEFInd offer over UEFI+GRUB2 or (what I'm currently using) BIOS+GRUB2?

github.com/initramfs/refind-theme

askubuntu.com/a/760971

I'm using Windows Bootloader. When I want to change something, I fire up Windows and launch EasyBCD.

know what else you can try?
turning off your tripcode

Unless you're dual booting or using an old mobo (3+ years old) just use EFISTUB. Anything else is overkill and in fact redundant.

>Because it scans for kernels on every boot, rEFInd is more adaptive and is less reliant on configuration files. This is most important if you're booting multiple Linux distributions, since in such a setup, you need to take care that the main GRUB's configuration file knows about changes to the other distribution's kernels.
This is actually the only one that I find pretty interesting / applies to me.

I do run into this problem myself, since if I e.g. update the kernel inside my ubuntu partition, I have to rerun my gentoo partition's grub2-mkconfig script. I can see the value of detecting kernels and configurations at boot.

Also,
>rEFInd on a USB flash drive or CD-R can boot an Ubuntu installation that's become unbootable.
Isn't this true for GRUB as well? Why is it listed as an advantage?

>rEFInd's scans for kernels and boot loaders can take a couple of seconds on each boot, so it may be a bit slower than GRUB to appear.
Wait, how is this a problem? Aren't kernels installed to dedicated EFI partitions or something?

Grub scanning for kernels takes a long while on my system since I have 12 TB of filesystems across 8 different drives. I don't want to pay hat every single time I boot.

I have btrfs-luks root, but boot from a fat32 /boot/ that has kernel and initram

Even though it works it's kinda intimidating to configure and fix. But in case you need it for something UEFI related works.

Eh, I've personally never really liked the idea of a dedicated partition for kernel/initram, mostly because I don't like the idea of having to hard-code an upper size limit for some particular type of content.

1. most people are neurotypical, unlike you
2. most people spend at most 5 seconds in their bootloader
3. most people don't care about your memes
4. kill yourself, suckless.org shiteater

I'm not quite sure how grub works, but for file system support, don't you need some parition for simple grub files?
I always had seperate /boot/ be it mbr or efi

No, my /boot (and grub configuration) is on a btrfs RAID. GRUB natively supports it.

> choosing your boot loader
> being this autistic

Just use what comes by default dammit
Fucking linux users

How do I change GRUB background?

>gf
>the

The Apple © MacBook™ Pro doesn't have this problem :)

GRUB2 is a serious fucking mess, i don't know why they even ship it in most distros.

I'd rather use extlinux.

its le deprecated maymay lel g le deprecated le old le current year le fite 4 lgbt and upboat le memesters le meme lelelele

no default for my OS

systemd boot ftw

Because it looks awesome!

mein freund

Grub still takes like five seconds

It's bloated as all fuck