Unless you go to one of these, your "computer science" degree is code monkeying...

Unless you go to one of these, your "computer science" degree is code monkeying, and you should have majored in math instead

Other urls found in this thread:

grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying a degree is worth anything in general
Just teach yourself.

Most programming these days is code monkey work, you're right for the most part. I taught myself, went to a cheap ass college so I can write down on my resume I have a fancy piece of paper so I can get jobs. Easily learned more about programming in a year of working on my own than multiple years of school.

Oh here it is.

(you)

>world university rankings
do you buy your groceries according to world grocery ratings too?

???

I'm arguing this point as a professional programmer currently holding a job. A lot of jobs are based on abstractions and existing libraries and frameworks. It's rare that advanced algorithm design or complex interaction with hardware is needed to make a solid product anymore. I don't agree that someone should major in math instead of CS however. I think CS degrees are still worth something, and in the programming world experience always trumps college education, but honestly it'll be hard to find academic or bleeding edge job opportunities where you get to put your cs knowledge to work without either a lot of experience + a degree from a normal school or just a degree from a top school.

>half of these are literal code-monkey degrees
>half of the rest are SE garbage
0/10 apply yourself.

According to what?

What about my alma mater, the University of Michigan[spoiler]-Flint[/spoiler]?

CS majors from my school invented reddit. I don't know if I should be proud or sad.

>CS majors from my school weren't even good enough to qualify as codemonkeys

>Baseless rankings from literally who
If you want rankings, just ask Sup Forums to do it. Better rankings with verifiable data and plenty of real banter.

Fixed your shit OP

>image quality worsened
.jpg supports lossless 90° rotation retard

You're still a Wolverine to me... just don't dilute my degree by omitting the Flint

t. UM Ann Arbor

>my university isn't there despite being one of the best in the world
l m a o is what I say tbqh
who comes up with these rankings
must be nice to sit at home all day and just shit all over photoshop and post the graphic as if it was real data

Why is Georgia Tech not listed?

If the only thing you do when getting your degree is school related shit, you're not gonna go far.

It doesn't matter where you went to school if you can show that you know what you're doing. All the people on here bitching that CS is a worthless degree or that if you're not in a top 10 school then its useless clearly didn't do a single thing outside of their classes.

If somebody like Google is hiring someone, who do you think they'd rather pick? A student who has shown both interest and capability in what they'll be working on, or a student who went to a good looking school who has never worked on a single project outside of class?

>tfw I held lectures and workshops on ETH Zurich
>tfw I only have a bachelors from a 3rd world shitty college after dropping out from a really good uni (Munchen, Germany)

Feels good not being a part of the scam. The only way to win in this shit is to not play, and show the system it needs you more than you need it.

The scam will work as long as you keep going and keep sending your children who will in turn send their children to college so they can get better jobs like you (but deep indise you know it's not true, but better play it safe).

Good goys.

>6. Harvard

Harvard's CS is far less selective than you'd think. Its grad program is ranked 18th by US News:

grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings

This seems like a somewhat arbitrary list, weighted toward generally fancy-sounding schools rather than lesser-known schools like University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign and University of Washington that have better programs.

I took the bait, but maybe this'll be a learning experience for someone.

The issue is not really impressing your peers with your self-taught skills, it's more so getting past the HR department. That is when a degree is the most useful.

>not flying to South Korea every weekend for the best chicken
Idiot.

People who think what school they go to will guarantee success are clueless to the real world.

It's all networking, if the manager or hiring supervisor knows Joe personally even though he went to a crappy community college he'll pick him over someone with a fancy degree from a fancy school that he does not know.

Sure, some of those schools have really good alumni that bring graduates into their companies. However, does not mean they are hiring the whole graduating class either.

>implying what school you went to is important
It's all about where you interned senpai.

I had a manager tell me I should just put U of M on my resume since it's not technically incorrect.

Thing is, I actually loved UM Flint.

And I'm equal to my co-workers from AA, so I don't think management really gives a shit anyway.

Except the ones who are State fans.

Go Blue!

but i hardly ever write code

he upscaled it so it's readable senpai

That's why I majored in SE. You CS bros can do all the "coding" and us big boys will handle all the complicated shit.

U of M is the name of an actually good school, unlike university of mishitgan. That's why you got the suggestion.

I finished engineering at the University of Toronto, supposed to be 16th or something worldwide.

Why the fuck would you get a math degree instead? Math is a field where you either have to go all the way and get a PhD so you sound like a wizard, or you may as well get any degree because the only good it'll do you is HR departments that expect some bachelors.
Even taking into account that the average undergrad-who-knows-everything thinks CS and math have something to do with each other, that's still just a truly retarded suggestion.

t. retard

I hope he's not taking about Maryland. They don't even have a graduate school.

>maryland
>exist
What?

What other U of M is even remotely relevant? Montana? Mississippi?

Good joke my man. Have you considered graduating from a good clown academy?

>getting a CS degree

great for getting an ___enterprise___ software job at LargeCorp

>ece degree from a school not on that list
>work at a video player company doing """javascript"""
>my code gets run 18 billion times a week

feels good man

Formal education is a waste of time and money.
Go the self-teaching route and you will save tens of thousands and learn much more than you would, and have an advanced understanding of the subject.
A degree is merely a minor qualification point for employers, and serves no other purpose except as toilet paper.

Mfw my alma mater, Georgia Tech, didn't make the top ten
>mfw I have no face

>tfw EE at ETH Zurich
My superior education has taught me that OP is wrong.

That is from 2014 you dumb fuck

>doing the most intellectually rotting work imaginable
>get paid peanuts and overworked to shit with 0 lateral options
>feels good man

>implying any of you anonymous cucks are ever going to make it in life
>implying you won't be stuck in a shitty dead-end help desk job fantasising about how great your life could have been and that if you have children you're going to make them avoid all the mistakes you made
:^)

Degrees are useless
Get experience

>intellectually rotting work
how is using CSP with web workers to process HLS keyframes intellectually rotting? kek

>peanuts
i get paid enough to rent comfortably a 1 bedroom in manhattan

>0 lateral options
the zuck is doubling down on video. video is the future user :^) and javascript is in extremely high demand right now (and for the foreseeable future)

This.. So much this.
As ironic as this sounds, I'm lucky i went to heald college and had my student loans cancelled out. That's after i got my foot through the door of an employer that required a degree.

There's just no substitute for experience.

Sup Forums - "technology"

for "technology discussion"

if you want to troll go to Sup Forums, or advice go to /adv/

please don't shit this on board. career advice is not technology discussion

Went to shit tier school. CIS major.... 5 years later. Making 149k salary in ameribucks plus 20% yearly bonus. Wat do?

>This article was based on research by MIT

Frogposters should be banned on sight, that'd increase the average IQ on this site by 50 points at least.

I went to Dublin Institute of Technology, it's not top 10, it's not even top 100, shit, it's not even top 200.

My current job involves researching digital camera fingerprinting (Image forensics). Most of my job involves reading research papers rather than actually writing code.

It's not hard to get a job in tech that isn't "code monkey" work, you just have to be willing to learn some skills other than coding. That means paying attention in class and reading, rather than wanking over which language/text editor/IDE is better.

Only listen to this idiot if you want to be a code monkey. If you want to be anything other than a developer or sysadmin, you'll need a degree.

Nobody is going to let you into a research position if you don't have a degree.

Last time, Google only hired from the """""""best""""""". So yeah a school makes a difference on paper. But papers can be forged and experience no.

Stop dreaming and start building toward something. Your macjob isn't going to get you anywhere.

Haha, went to number 1. Everyone knows CS is a meme degree compared to CE and EE.

If you get a CS degree ANYWHERE, prepare to be a fucking code monkey.

yea, OP's list is retarded. there are at least 20 US universities that are better than ANY non-US/UK school, just purely in terms of education.

When you add to that the effect of proximity to industry, networking, etc... Literally it would be better to go to UC Santa Cruz and get easy A's than some bumfuck switzerland place.

Becoming a code monkey after going CS is like going janitor after getting a math PhD.

Only if your lifegoal is to compete with pajeet day-to-day.

>"went to number 1."
>"If you get a CS degree ANYWHERE, prepare to be a fucking code monkey."

kek