Is this for real? is Microsoft really charging 7/month?

Please tell me this is a prank.

google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/14/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-new-monthly-charge/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon#

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.au/search?q=windows 10 start menu ads&client=ubuntu&hs=9Us&biw=1323&bih=600&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic8su_t_bNAhWJK8AKHTK1DW4Q_AUIBigB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Windows 7 forever :)!

Not going to pay for Windows 10 :)!

It's for the Enterprise version. Don't panic.

>$7 per user per month
No company is going to do this when they can buy Windows 7 Enterprise and call it done.

After Windows 7 is EOL, I can see a large number of companies moving to Mac.

For now. If you expect it to stay like this you are a morono..

Its no prank. Classic bait-and-switch.

>No company is going to do this

Clueless hipster startups might, the over inflated subscription business model is the only model they understand.

You clearly have no idea how much companies would like to pay to keep Windows. They have all their applications they've been using for decades on their systems, they will never replace it with a different operating system.

We have ~8000 desktops for ~4000 employees at work. All of them are running Windows 7 Enterprise right now.

$60,000 a month to run Windows is not worth it.

It will be interesting to see what defines a user. My shop has over 16,000 people in AD, but not even half of them have a device issued to them.

You're an idiot, there was no bait and switch, enterprise software is never free. Go back to ricing your linux and let the adults worry about the systems administration.

I'm in the opposite situation. We have about 4000 people in my office; most of them have 2 computers, some have 3.
If those 3 computers counts as a 3 'people', then the cost would be so prohibitive that buying Macs for everyone would be cheaper after 2-3 years.

In the long run for most companies it would be cheaper to drop windows.

Just wait until they lock features behind a paywall.

I mean they already kind of did with Bitlocker and Windows XP mode back on windows 7 home.
They gave you very easy options to upgrade your license to get those features

If anything it wouldn't relate to machines, but users. But there are plenty of people in the IT department who have anywhere between 2 and 7 ID's a piece, so would they be considered 2 - 7 different users? No one knows...

This is great for any company not planning on lasting more than about 2 years

isnt Bill Gates already rich as fuck

why does he need to be such a bitch ass with his money hungry company

Even Enterprise distros of *nix charge monthly or yearly fees. Red Hat is $799/991 a year for a Standard Enterprise subscription. Ubuntu OpenStack is $640 a year for Standard, or $95,000 a year for a "small region" of 100 or less nodes. Suse Enterprise is $799 a year for Standard. You guys are idiots if you really thought the majority enterprise software wasn't already subscription-based. It's not Windows-specific.

>that watermark
You'll do better next time, OP. I believe in you!

People think that just because they run an open source OS it means they have a team that is dedicated to hunting through the kernel and other obscure shit to fix problems. It is true to an extent, but in reality if you have the time to spend on that you aren't dealing with high availability in the first place.

But, Black Dynamite, I use the Enterprise version.

>cut 14$/month from every wage
>problem solved

We're union. Good luck with that.

We Never Sleep. Good luck with that.

>so would they be considered 2 - 7 different users?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft go to per core + client enterprise desktop licensing like they do for servers.

Their nebulous corporate licensing is so bad that they have a certification to help you understand their licensing scheme.

>Red Hat workstations at 200$/year and Red Hat standalone self-support being at 50$ a year
>Red Hat designing btrfs, Gnome and systemd

Yeah but for that price you can deploy that on as much computers as you want. For Windows Enterprise that's 7$ per user thrown in the wild (with no support).

>enterprise version
Party is over, everyone go home.

Still, fuck Windows 10.

t. windows 7 user.

>hipster startups
they use macbooks

This. They're not even removing the existing licensing programs, so the only ones affected by this are the ones who actively choose to subscribe instead of buying a license.

According to microsoft policies, enterprise edition is the only version of windows 10 that does not have spyware.

fuck off

I might be wrong, but isn't it so that Enterprise is the only version where you can turn it off, rather than where there is none?

>microsoft enterprise licensing going even more complicated
t-thanks

this. only mormons would trust a company like microsoft

>for now

>for now

>being charged for being a part of a botnet

That's a new level of kikery.

Sauce

Wincuckolds on suicide watch

>Baseless speculation by a random journalist
>Being a predictor of absolutely anything

file name

Already know Boku no Pico, and it ain't from that.

>turn it off

If you knew how to properly configure your modem and router, it wouldn't even matter.

Microsoft knows this, so they'll end up making it so new products won't work on Windows 7. Examples being the new Windows Server, none of the Windows 7 tools currently work on it. Sure, you can give only the sysadmins Windows 10. Then soon will come new versions of Office that only works on 10 so on and so forth.

>Baseless Speculation

no

There's literally no reason to use Enterprise unless you're the IT admin of a company.

>new versions of Office that only works on 10
Office 2016 doesn't work in 7

Nice lies you got there faggot

How about having no ads and spyware telemetry?

Who needs security updates anyway?

>posting this FUD clickbait
Forbes has gone down the drain

You can still get security updates while disabling "PC-phone-home" behavior. Don't play dumb and learn to configure your firewall properly.

>ads
>spyware telemetry
[citation needed]

That's not a priority for me, but I didn't know that, thanks! (I run Linux)

Forbes was garbage the second they started doing "video game reviews"

>currently live on a campground
>all they offer is shitty wifi: open-mesh cloudtrax
Not an option, familia

Stop believing you're entitled to a citation on Sup Forums, and most particularly when you can read the EULA or fucking Google it.

Microsoft has been planning to move to a subscription model for years.

Try google
google.com.au/search?q=windows 10 start menu ads&client=ubuntu&hs=9Us&biw=1323&bih=600&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic8su_t_bNAhWJK8AKHTK1DW4Q_AUIBigB

You should be more concerned about getting a job, not getting spyware.

The only reason I use Windows is because of video games.

>Even Enterprise distros of *nix charge monthly or yearly fees.
for support

you're buying support

you can run enterprise nix for free if you don't go crying to red hat when shit breaks

>You need at least Windows 8 to use admin tools on Windows Server 2012
>Office 2016 does not work on Windows 7
>Lying

>Who needs security updates anyway

Just only play games that have Linux ports, totally viable now thanks to valve.

From Red Hat:
>Is Red Hat Enterprise Linux available for free or low cost?
>It is a commercial product and not available for free.

I'm not going to limit myself to shitty indie games just because they're the only ones that run on Linux. I spent good money on a 970 and plan to use it.

That's why people get CentOS

Red Hat:
>Also, layered products such as Red Hat Application Stack, Red Hat Directory Server and Red Hat Satellite are only supported on top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions. Many hardware, software and security certifications are only valid on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and not the rebuilds.

CentOS:
>A free rebuild of source packages from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Plenty of fancy AAA game ports to Linux too now, it isn't all indy games as of the last year or two.

You do realise CentOS is Redhat with /etc/issue changed

I was being ironical, but thanks for the graphic, I'm saving that.

>1754 critical breaches
>Linux
>32
>cheekles nervously

Witcher 3 (2015's GOTY) isn't on it.

I know what CentOS is m8, but I'm not sure you know what enterprise software entails. The majority of enterprise software is subscription based. Microsoft is not unique in this regard.

That's why people build it from source

>I can see a large number of companies moving to Mac
>t. fag who has never had a job

lol

>limited/basic amount of diagnostic and usage data = spyware botnet big brother skynet
>"ads" (MS products and news tile, kek) that you can easily disable and remove from the start menu
and thank you for using google, hypocrite

Tons aren't on Linux.
If you need to play specific Windows games like Witcher 3 this obviously isn't going to work for you.

I see you took a while to come up with a damage control, retard

>Burger king
>Facebook
>Candy crash
>>>>"Microsoft products"

Mouthbreathing windumbs get the fuck out instantly

>I'm not sure you know what enterprise software entails.
>It's what I say is right and what you say is wrong

You can believe whatever you like bud. I'm just telling it like it is. The majority of business enterprise software is commercial, and commercial software costs money.

>put a poo in loo in charge
>every single move you make is the very definition of retarded

Name one software that runs on Redhat but not in CentOS.

You can't because you are talking out of your ass. Shut up

>Hey guise is there a Windows server version for home users?
>No, all windows servers are for servers
>Ergo Windows doesn't exist for home users

This is how retarded you are.

Switching to OSX.

>Enterprise distros like Red Hat charge a subscription to use.
>"you can run enterprise nix for free"
>Red Hat Enterprise Linux "is a commercial product and not available for free"

How would they even charge you money if you've already upgraded?

>AAA games
Strange way of spelling manchild games

Steam is still proprietary software. Fuck that.

None of these things apply to Windows. They are for Outlook, OneDrive, etc.
Same terms apply to pretty much any cloud service ever. Especially Google's

You are really fucking stupid if you think Microsoft would ask companies to give $7 per computer.

Do you also think that companies go and buy their windows licenses at a store or some shit?

Nigger, they have bulks deals that end up costing WAY less than that.

>Implying Pro and Home versions don't have them enabled
>Implying Google drive is enabled in your PC
>He thinks spyware telemetry can be disabled in Pro and Home
wew lad you are trying really hard

you can disable all the cloud service
telemetry is not personal data

Disable them via your firewall like every other intelligent user and get on with your life.

>Enterprise Windows costs money
>Always did
>Always will
>Remove the "Enterprise" from headline
>Suddenly 10/10 clickbait

>Disable them via your firewall
>Update
>New list of IPs to disable
I'd rather not be fighting with my own OS

>Telemetry is not personal data
Sure, all those metadata of my storage and keylogs are not personal data