Fingerprinting Thread

browserprint.info/
panopticlick.eff.org/
ip-check.info
browserleaks.com/
browserspy.dk/

Fingerprinting is the newest way of tracking you across websites.
It's being done right now by companies like Google.
Because unlike cookie based tracking you can't defeat it just by disabling cookies.
There is currently NO FOOLPROOF DEFENCE against fingerprinting (except quitting the Internet).

Google's privacy policy states
>Other technologies are used for similar purposes as a cookie on other platforms where cookies are not available or applicable
google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/key-terms/#toc-terms-cookie

ReCAPTCHA probably contains fingerprinting code:
archive.is/9K5gs
This means that the majority of Sup Forums users could be being fingerprinted, and Google might know about your shitposting habits even if cookies are disabled.

Google releases limited hangout of how much they know about you:
news.slashdot.org/story/16/06/29/2038257/googles-my-activity-reveals-how-much-it-knows-about-you
>Oh, they're just remembering what YouTube videos I watched, nothing creepy about that, I already knew they were doing it!
>I guess all those people who fear tracking really are just conspiracy theorists!

Daily reminder to do all your Amazon / eBay / LinkedIn / botnet shit in a completely separate browser to your Googling or buying shit.
It's currently the ONLY way to truly defend against fingerprint tracking.
Double points if you have each browser running in a different VM with a different OS.
Triple points if you have each browser's VM configured with a different VPN connection.

Could the FP-Block browser extension be exactly what we're looking for?
satoss.uni.lu/software/fp-block/

Uncommon extensions you may want to check out
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-canvas-fingerprinting
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/canvasblocker
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/blender-1

Other urls found in this thread:

adnauseam.io/
cs.nyu.edu/trackmenot/
tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I use Arch, so I don't have to worry about this stuff.

your and retard

fuck off with your general, canvasblocker is all you need.

Hue
Sure thing m8

How about no?
Panopticlick is able to uniquely identify most browsers, yet it doesn't do canvas fingerprinting.
Plus AudioContext fingerprinting is potentially equivalent to canvas fingerprinting and AFAIK NOBODY has blocked it yet, not even the Tor people

IT DOES DO CANVAS FINGERPRINTING YOU IDIOT

Fine.
NEW Panoptlick does, but OLD Panopticlick didn't.
And it worked just fine without it

canvasblocker generates a new fingerprint everytime it is called, which fixes all vulnerabilities.
case closed.

Canvas blocker blocks canvas elements.
Doesn't do shit about anything else according to its description.
Hell, I just installed it and went to browserprint and tested and it didn't even block the canvas test.

It's configurable. You can set it to block the api entirely (in which case panopticlick will hang forever) or you can tell it to fake, which will generate a new fingerprint each time. I've tested it and it DOES give a unique fingerprint each time.

If you asked me 10 years ago what addons i had, i would never expect 90% of them to be privacy addons, and not feature or ui customization

Fuck.

Ok, so if it works like Canvas Defender why does it advertise itself as blocking elements and have no mention of these features?

no kidding, you weren't old enough to read 10 years ago

What do you guys think of these addons?
adnauseam.io/
cs.nyu.edu/trackmenot/

>AdNauseam
Interesting concept.
Instead of clicking no ads click all of them.
I don't really see the benefit of that over just blocking them.

>TrackMeNot
Good idea if your heart is set on using Google.
Personally I just use Startpage which doesn't track you and gets its results from Google, so it's almost as good.

Do you happen to know how they come up with things to search?

They grab phrases from a list of RSS feeds that's configurable.

jump

It's funny how some days these threads get tons of traffic and others they just die

>To opt out of Google analytics tracking please install this browser extension by Google's analytics team
>tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Lol.
I wonder how many people actually fall for this shit?

So I finally found the time to finish reading about FB-Block, and it's pretty tight.
It seems to do spoofing per domain, which is good but not quite as good as spoofing per tab.
It uses "Markov chains" to generate web identities which don't have contradictory attributes, which is cool, although I'm willing to bet I could get it to contradict itself if I tried hard enough.
It spoofs all kinds of things, including adding randomness to canvases.
All in all this seems like the best tool I've seen so far; I'm going to play around with it a bit more to see if the instability was caused by conflicting extensions or something

I spent some time playing with it.
Seems the instability was indeed caused by a conflicting extension, but I don't know which one currently.
The extension works, but seems buggy.
It definitely breaks the fingerprinting on browserprint, however.

Also the extension confirms Sup Forums is trying to get your screen size, colour depth, plugins, and language.
Probably other stuff too

It was janky in 2014, when the latest version was released. It would need some serious work to really work, I'll bet. No AudioContext blocking, for instance.
Speaking of outdated firefox plugins to thwart fingerprinting FoxGloves was a thing.

>ReCAPTCHA probably contains fingerprinting code:
Based on what, solve rate?

From the news article
>It then takes a pixel-by-pixel fingerprint of the user’s browser window at that time, pulling information such as:
>Screen size and resolution, date, language and browser plug-ins (all Javascript objects)
>IP address
>CSS information from the page you are on
>A count of mouse and touch events

There is a similar addon called Random Agent Spoofer (github.com/dillbyrne/random-agent-spoofer), difference is it does not do per-domain spoofing. I do not really like spoofing timezone and language since your location can be obtained through the IP. If you use a VPN, these could probably be worth spoofing to match the location of the VPN.

FP-Block does not seem to be under active development and RAS is updated very infrequently. An addon against fingerprinting would require an active developer to keep up with all the latest fingerprinting technologies and create countermeasures for them. I unfortunately do not have the required knowledge to create such addon but I am sure there is at least one person on Sup Forums who does. If not to difficult, perhaps I could learn how to make addons if someone could point me in the right direction for guides and such.

You could probably use an existing extension as a base.
That would take care of a lot.
It's what I'd do.
No shame in reviving a dead project