You can develop professional websites with asp.net core

You can develop professional websites with asp.net core.
You can develop professional games with unity3d or cryengine.
You can develop professional mobile apps with xamarin.

Visual Studio Code is a dedicated tiny editor with full code completion and debugging.
Visual Studio Community is a dedicated ide with extra features and amazing database and vm manager.

Is it the ultimate language to learn for indie and professional developers?

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r12&hw=peak&test=plaintext
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

learn c# java c++ python c and you are going to be fine. they all feel same at the core except c.
and c++ and c requires somehow more manual memory optimization compared to rest. but free of interpreters and VMs.

I don't know l, OP, but one thing is for sure - programming in the .NET library with C# is comfy as fuck.

>You can develop professional games with unity3d or cryengine.
I think the last game from Richard Garriot to be releease is made with Unity

I've developped some Gtk+C# big corps softwares and some server API with mono c# and it's pretty nice.

>You can develop professional mobile apps with xamarin.
sorry but windows phone development is a joke and nokia is literally dead due to microsoft's mistakes

I was a Java developer for 10 years, but I've been migrating to C# / ASP.NET at work and I've actually been enjoying it.
It takes all of the things that Java did well, throws in the things that C/C++ does well, adds the features you wish Java had, and vastly improves on everything else.

Xamarin can be used to develop applications for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

designated

>requires .net framework

and for that reason alone it's shit. the end user shouldn't need to be burdened with downloading extra shit just to make your application run.

Which is installed by default on Windows.

Wake me up when you don't need a botnet account to use it

Why would anyone use Windows...

but java does that too

yeah, that's shit too.

only a certain version though

and .NET framework gets updated all the time, so over time you end up with 20 different versions on your PC
it's pretty bad

Bullshits. This only applies for tard languages like Python and Ruby.

What do you need classes and objects for when you have void pointers?

Has anybody gotten ASP.net stack to work properly on Linux?

I know Microsoft open-sourced ASP and related software stacks, but do they run on Linux yet?

>tfw you don't have to use Java to make apps
Good feels.

Yeah, right. Go to your control panel, installed programmes and look up how many "Visual..." or ".Net..." entries you have.

Java and C# are practically the same language
not sure what is making you feel good

If you say that you don't know C# (or Java). So opinion discarded.

Just because it is easier does not make it less desirable. By that logic you think only Indians should use computers and others should stick to pencil and paper.

There are plenty of applications for which it would be inappropriate to use anything other than a systems language of course but your fizzbuzz isn't impressing anyone.

that sounds more like your problem

>replace "using" with "import"
>remove "namespace"
>replace [] in annotation with @

C# was not just influenced by Java, it was designed to be Microsoft's version of it.
They knew Java was one of the most widely known programming languages, and adopting its style, syntax, and naming schemes was the best way to make their language catch on.

Do you even know what xamarin is?

sorry m8 but I can't take seriously anyone that says that C# and java are "practically" the same language

if you use it for anything other than WP development you're just as bad as nodejs retards who absolutely refuse to learn anything other than their one precious language

>WP development
Pajeet pls

Any books you'd recommend for a mostly Java programmer?

Please respond.

C# exclusively or .Net too?

>all that poo

> thinking the only difference between java and c# is it's syntax

Confirmed for pleb

Google.com

> doesnt know you can release and install the required framework with your program, negating a download

Are you even trying?

.net too.

C# doesn't have Rapidoid, which is the fastest web framework/app server in the world. Java wins by default.

> fastest

Gonna need a source on that one, achmed

Filter'd

Whenever I have to deal with visual studio I keep wondering what people like about it. I don't want to mindlessly hate on it, I just don't understand what people see in it. To me it seems like a cluttered mess, lacking some of the most basic features of other editors (Smart occurrence highlighting anyone?)
Can anyone explain to me?

Meh, lack of free library is a big turn off.

For small timers, things like text indexing with language specific analyzer are not free (lucene).
The same with indexing media / file content server like solr.
As for ORM, luckily there's NHibernate, but the Java version (Hibernate) still more popular.

For big player, no Big Data (Apache Hadoop), no distributed computing (Apache Storm), no cluster aware computing(Apache Spark) .
All are Java based.

There's Prajna project from Microsoft as an alternative to Apache Spark, but results still remains to be seen.

I prefer C# because Java GUI is the most horrendous thing I've seen.

> be me
> using visual studio
> double click a word
> other occurences highlighted

I dunno, maybe learn to use visual studio?

No problem!
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r12&hw=peak&test=plaintext

>JavaFX

oh apparently they added that some time ago. I had to use 2008 for a job and that didn't have it.
Still the UI seems cluttered and hard to work with

You just don't how to organize your windows that's all.

Coding in c# is literally the coziest feeling. It's relaxing to code in.

>this desu

Have you ever used it?
The api is mess and and when there's many objects on the screen the fps drops really quickly.

>The api is mess and and when there's many objects
You lay out the design in FXML, not in Java. It would be a mess in any language that's not specifically made for markup if you do it otherwise.

> there's many objects on the screen the fps drops really quickly
Unless you're doing something terribly wrong that shouldn't happen. Besides you shouldn't make games in JavaFX.

100% this. I close most of the windows and setup my workspace to just be solution explorer + editor with error/output on bottom. 3 windows, no clutter.

>You can develop professional websites with asp.net core

What's a good source for learning this? Do I need to find a web host that offers Windows-based servers? I have experience with C# but never touched webdev or asp.net.