I was a dumb when I built my PC, and bought a 850 evga power supply unit

I was a dumb when I built my PC, and bought a 850 evga power supply unit.
my CPU is an AMD FX-8350 and my gpu is 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.
so my question is what PSU should I get so that the energy bill isnt through the roof?

r9 285*

fuck, i just used a calculator and it says i should be a 550 psu, and i have an 850 one, does that mean my it is using 850 all the time!?

Yes. You're going to love your bill

no
in fact higher wattage PSUs tends to waste less energy
as long as the actual wattage of the PC is higher than 20% your PSU ur good

Stupid questions thread.

Get Intel+Nvidia.

The real problem is your GPU is a fucking housefire.

Get AMD+Nvidia.

So is his CPU.

Calculator only means max power draw. For your system it's probably 50W-100W at idle and 500W when maxed out with intensive processing.

>I was a dumb when I built my PC, and bought a 850 evga power supply unit.
>so my question is what PSU should I get so that the energy bill isnt through the roof?

components only draw the power they need, it's not as if you plug an 850w psu in you'll be using 850 watts, besides higher wattage psus than you actually need have better efficiency than lower watts because peak efficiency is typically 40-80%~ usage usually

but keep it user, 550w for a 125w cpu and a r9 285 is absolutely not correct, I can't overclock both my cpu and gpu with a 750w psu and I have an i7-5820k (140w) and an r9 285, the r9 285 alone will easily draw 300w+ overclocked, not to mention fans, hdds, ssds, ram, other pci shit, usb, etc, all adds to the total power requirements

Never buy a PSU without consulting jonnyguru

Whats wrong with both of these?
Prone to fires? For real? Or just joking?
Had this setup for about a year now with no problems.

ayy MD

Don't worry about it

It means they have a ridiculously large power draw and generate a ton of heat, noise and put a lot of stress on the PSU.

That's an 850W PSU. It's not gonna be stressed out by some shitty AMD housefire processor and graphics card.

i have a 280x+550w psu, no problems

Internet memes.

thiss. maximum efficiency is around 50%

>I was a dumb when I built my PC,
... and nothing has changed.

850w and up PSUs are rare and expensive. Most non-housefire setups are fine with a good 550w.