/wut?/ - Windows Update Thread

That's right ladies and Sup Forumsents! It's the Windows Update Thread! Here to answer all your windows transition questions so the rest of Sup Forums doesn't have to!

If you’re having trouble installing, upgrading, downgrading, embracing or erasing windows 7, 8, 9, or 10; this is the place for you.

Questions answered:

>How do I get a free W10 license for the future but keep using 7/8 now?
>How do I stop the Windows 10 update from happening?
>How do I install W10 if it keeps messing up when I try?
>Can I go back to 7/8 if I’ve upgraded?
>How do I downgrade if my computer came with W10?
>How do I get Windows 7 to update after a clean install?
>How would I reinstall W10 in the future?
>Should I switch to Linux?

Full Expanded Post: pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Official Windows Install discs:
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

>Do you like windows 10?

No. Fuck the store. Fuck the layout. Fuck the botnet. Also fuck micrsoft for shoving it down our throats all year like they believe only cortana's shiny blue ass could save our souls from eternal torment in the fiery pits of hell.

>So why would I ever want it?

It’s supposed to be microsoft’s last OS, so we'll eventually start seeing more and more programs that require either Windows 10 or its (goddamn) app store. This includes any games that require DirectX12 and the library of future Xbone crossovers. Microsoft also builds a lot of security advancements into it’s newer OSes that never reach the old ones, so infection rates tend to be a lot lower. And that’s even before Windows 7 stops receiving security updates in 2020 (like that shit that went down with XP a while back), so anyone who wants to keep using their shit as long as possible might want to keep their options open.

Other urls found in this thread:

majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
wilderssecurity.com/goto/post?id=2545330#post-2545330
thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10
youtube.com/watch?v=RO5qhBsCdt0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>So how do I get a license without upgrading?

You upgrade. But then you just undo it. That’s the loophole: you don't have to KEEP W10 on your computer, you just have to install it once before the 29th, say for 5 minutes, so the microsoft servers note your particular PC’s hardware as eligible for Windows 10 going forward. You then have a permanent "Digital Entitlement" on that computer, even if you go back to your old windows immediately.

There's 3 ways to do this…

1) The easiest method is to just upgrade to W10, then downgrade using the “Go Back” button in settings (available for 30 days).

2) If you’re specifically worried about windows messing up the install, you can make a system backup image instead with Macrium Reflect or similar, do the upgrade, then use a recovery disk to restore the image.

3) Or upgrade then clean install your old OS

If you choose #2, make a recovery disk & a backup of your system drive. Otherwise there’s no prep, just accept the W10 upgrade. If you've been having trouble with it for some reason, you want to do this on multiple PCs, or you just don't want to bother using windows update, you can download the official install disk (above) by clicking "Download tool now" to make a DVD or USB windows 10 disk, then run it within windows. Skip downloading updates. Once W10 is installed, make sure it’s activated itself online by clicking Start> Settings> Update & Security> Activation. Make sure it says “Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

With W10 activated it’s time to restore your old copy of windows. For options 2&3 either boot the recovery disk to restore your system from backup or go ahead with a fresh install. Otherwise just use the 30 day "Go Back" option in W10 to recover your old copy of windows (stored in C:\Windows.old). To find it, click Start> Settings> Update & Security> Recovery, then hit the “Get started” button under Go back to Windows 7(or 8.1). Mission accomplished.

Frequently Asked Questions:

>Digital Entitlement? What is this BS? Where's my damn key?

"KEYS? Where we're going we don't need KEYS." Most copies of W10 don’t have keys at all. A "digital entitlement" means Windows 10 is paired to your PC automatically by a digital fingerprint of its hardware. So whenever you reinstall W10 after that, even if it’s a clean install, windows will reactivate itself online by validating that fingerprint automatically.

You should probably keep a copy of the key you got with your ORIGINAL windows 7/8.1 install (usually stuck to your system case anyway), because major hardware changes can sometimes disrupt the automatic activation. In that case you would call the microsoft activation hotline and explain the situation to them. They usually correct things pretty easily, and the old key can often help with the process, which hasn't changed much since Windows 7. You might also need the old key if you decide to reinstall your original windows later on and you don't have any backups or recovery media with it pre-activated.

>If I upgrade do I lose my windows 7/8.1 license?

No, you can go back and forth as much as you want, as long as you have your old installer and key (or a backup/recovery). You're not officially allowed to have both versions of windows installed at the same time, like a dual boot or VM. The downgrade rights last until 2020 for windows 7 and 2023 for windows 8, when official support ends for the OSes.

>W10 won’t install. Something always goes wrong. How do I make it work?

Try running the install disk (above) instead.

>How do clean reinstalls work in windows 10?

All you need is that free install disk from microsoft’s site. No keys, no HP/Dell recovery partitions taking up disk space. Just run and done. No activation required (if asked for a key hit skip and it will activate automatically over the internet).

>How do I downgrade to windows 7/8.1 if my computer came with 10?

Windows 7/8.1 are available as free downgrades IF you have W10 PRO, otherwise you’re supposed to buy a copy. You’d also need to check that your core hardware has drivers for that version of windows. It's a bit complicated but here's instructions:

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

>I'm staying on windows 7/8. How do I make the update notifications go away?

The easiest way is to use GWX Control Panel:
majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

If you would rather block the update manually through windows instead, you can download and install update 3065987 on Windows 7, or 3065988 on Windows 8. Then save-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

-to your desktop as DisableOSUpgrade.reg and run as administrator.

>I’ve reinstalled Windows 7 recently and I can’t get it to update.

When microsoft put out a new Window 7 update client, they fucked over any copy of 7 that doesn’t have it yet, including clean installs. To fix this, manually download and install updates 3102810 and 3138612 to get the ball rolling:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

>Should I just start using Linux instead?

Maybe! There’s a learning curve, but it can be a very rewarding experience. Linux has a knack for running very smoothly until some weird problem comes up, then it’s off to the forums. Luckily you don’t have to dive in all at once. Try running Ubuntu in Virtualbox, and if you’re still interested you can step it up to a dual boot. Backing up with Macrium Reflect is a good way to minimize risk. And after installing linux, I recommend the PPA ‘Timeshift’ as an equivalent to Windows Restore, for undoing small mistakes. Good luck!

What if I clone my win 7 drive to a new drive, then upgrade the cloned drive to 10? Can I go back and forth between the two of will I lose my win 7 license?

>windows 9
Is that supposed to be 8.1?

You won't lose your license. It's against their official terms of service, but it generally doesn't matter.

Thanks, I want to test it out for a bit and see if I can stand it or if it fucks my programs up.

This looks a lot like advertising to me :^)

Not really. It's not suggesting that you get windows 10, it's talking about getting a license while they're free.

you posted this same thread the other day

Yeah I'm planning on reposting every few days to answer peoples questions till the 29th. Kind of a temporary general to take the load off of /sqt/ and random threads all asking the same things.

Daily reminder that winblows is shit.

>I plan on shilling for Microsoft for almost 2 weeks straight

You might try actually reading it. I don't give a shit about microsoft and I don't use windows 10. I'm just helping people figure out how to do things. I'd be glad to have a constructive conversation about telemetry or other reasons to avoid micro$oft.

/thread

Huh. That's interesting. I didn't know the entitlement thingy never expired. Is there a good way to get rid of the tracking stuff?

I bought a Thinkpad X230 and it came with Win7 Pro, but I just installed linux on it anyway. How can I get a Win10 Pro key for the future with it if I want to duel boot?

Is there a windows 7 product key printed on a green sticker on the bottom?

Holy shit no one would put in this much effort if it wasn't a full blown shill
Proof that Microsoft is paying for the constant spam of Wangblows 10 threads

Yes there is

I'm currently on Win7 with resetting the trial mode limit. Is there a way I can upgrade to Win10 for free?

Post it

Fuck Windows

Then what you would want to do is temporarily install windows now. You can make temporary space for it either by using a second drive, shrinking your linux partition in gparted, or by backing up your whole drive like option #2 above only with clonezilla. Then you can download the official windows 10 disk from the link above, install that to the blank space, and when it asks for a key just use that one on the sticker. Then just restore your linux and you're good.

Can i upgrade from a pirated win7?

If yes do i have to do a clean install or just upgrade?

Then you can use that key in W10 installer so longer it's november 2015 version or newer.

Yes you can, but I belive you must have SP1 on it. I did a month ago but I rolled back. Beware when you roll back you will get the "WIndows is not genuine" shit, you will have to activate it again.

Actually my win7 is not activated anymore but it still works normally. I used that pirated activating bullshit before but it seems it expired somehow. I do have sp1.

If your computer never had legit windows before, then you can try upgrading from pirated win. Daz loader seems to be one of the ones that work for this if you use the more recent versions. You could also buy a cheap win7 kinguin key and use that to upgrade.

You mean windows downgrade thread?

actually i checked slui now and it says my windows is genuine, i guess i could try my luck with that, should i format my drives and clean install or try to upgrade?

Upgrade so you can try and leverage your current activation into getting you the entitlement.

I need a list of updates to avoid on windows 7.

The list should include telemetry updates as well as windows 10 updates.

There isn't a "learning curve" on Linux. That's like saying there's a learning curve on windows to an applefag or vice versa. Switching to a different system is always problematic if you've used something else for years, you're gonna be as competent on it just like you were on your first pc as a child. Only now you probably have the basic understanding of computers and know how to Google or where to ask for answers to your problems.
Gonna post the list in a minute unless someone beats me to it.

>$0.001 has been deposited into your Microsoft account

KB2505438
KB2670838
KB2922324
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB2990214
KB2999226
KB3015249
KB3021917
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB3044374
KB3046480
KB3050265
KB3050267
KB3065987
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3075851
KB3080149
KB3102810
KB971033 (windows genuine check)
They aren't all usually present, a few are windows 8 only I believe. Don't know if the list was updated recently.

wilderssecurity.com/goto/post?id=2545330#post-2545330

There are several programs that help disable tracking. Ultimate Windows Tweaker by the windows club covers a lot of bases:

thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10

I'm looking at my brand new Skylake computer screen after having just upgraded to Windows 10 last night. I haven't done anything to it besides install my Asus drivers. It's currently a completely virgin Windows 10 installation.

How do I make WIndows 10 as private as possible after upgrading?

- install some AV (turns off windows defender)
- hit the win key, go to settings, go through all the options
- disable the cloud shit in the tray

Reminder to report blatant advertising threads.

Every worthwhile privacy setting to disable unsecure components is covered by Ulitmate Tweaker 4, including the ones that are normally only accessable to enterprise users and the ones that would normally require powershell or registry tweaks. As a general rule all other privacy tools change these same settings, but tweaker is a tool from a reliable group with a long history and several other features included. The other category of W10 privacy tool is those claiming to firewall windows from contacting IPs, which doesn't seem practical for the forseeable future because the windows networking layer supercedes installed software and user modifications.

Don't link a micrsoft account, don't use the store, don't use cortana. Use Firefox with disconnect. Also Bleachbit is a program similar to CCleaner but with an emphasis on privacy, and using it from time to time will help to remove persistent identifying elements left from normal use. You can check every feature except secure cleaning free space and it will run a very quick and effective cleaning.

Doing that much will vastly reduce the amount of information you end up sharing.

Just a quick reminder that Windows will most likely extend the free update period. They want something from you (better access to your data, one OS to maintain), not the other way around.

I installed Windows 10 LTSB 2015 edition. No store, no Cortana. Is this the version without botnet?

>There are several programs that help disable tracking
Anyone of them opensource?

Can I somehow "upgrade" key without installation?

And how much would that "upgrade" screw up my PC, if I would just roll back right away? I mean, my Win 7 works slow already, since it is running since 6 years without reinstallation. This is my main working PC and I cant really risk messing it up too much.

I mean, as a student, I got so far two 7 keys, two 8.1 (one N) and one 8, upgraded to 8.1 and 10 Edu. One 7 should stay that way, rest would be nice to "upgrade", just in case.

>Can I somehow "upgrade" key without installation?
No can do. They really want to you install it.

>How do I make WIndows 10 as private as possible after upgrading?

Doing that is described in official MS articles:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

Keep in mind that if you dont have Enterprise, you wont be able to officially do part of the stuff, namely set telemetry to "security" instead of "basic".

Not exactly, Telementry component is still present and need to be configured first. Use link I provided.

"Destroy Windows 10 Spying" which ironically enough windows defender tends to flag as malware.

Upgrading and reverting shouldn't have any impact on your existing system. The windows updater takes a complete copy of your existing windows install and boxes it up in a folder called Windows.old. When you revert, everything is brought back from that folder exactly the way it was. In fact, any documents you make or files you change while in ten get undone when you go back. Now if your PC is that important, you should be backing it up with Macrium reflect anyway, just to avoid everyday risk. If you take an hour or so to make a system backup before starting this process, you can breath easy knowing you have a solid failsafe to fall back on.

A lot of my shit was fucked up when I reverted back last year to Windows 8.1. Mostly the apps and shit, took a few days to get them fixed.

I really hope the anniversary update fixes this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=RO5qhBsCdt0

It really makes me think somethings about to crash or something - and it doesn't just happen on recycle bin.. some times you'll just be clicking around in Windows Explorer and it will flash them.

Does Windows 10 get a performance hit for vidya games? I heard it's not nearly as good compared 7 or 8.1

From where did you hear that?

Sup Forums was espousing it. Which is why I'm here getting facts.

Ars Technica says otherwise, but meh

Sup Forums doesn't know too much about PCs.

If anything win10 improves the performance of certain games because it gives you access to DX12.

Well upgrade option #2 is a good way to avoid risking it, you'd actually be surprised how quickly you can back up a system, and how well the compression works on a backup. I usually find it to be about half the size of what's on my hard drive. This link talks about how to do it:

howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/

Also if you have a spare drive you can swap out just for the upgrade you can just download the W10 install disc, do a clean install, then enter your windows 7/8.1 key during the initial activation.

So what's the status on the shit for hardware changes cause I change it every 2-3 years and 7 has never given me an issue.

It's at least as forgiving. Minor upgrades including GPU CPU and disk drives don't have any impact on it. Changing out an actual motherboard is iffy, but some people have reported success. It's been strongly hinted that pairing a microsoft account improves the chances of something like a mobo swap working, but for anything else I wouldn't bother.

So this worked just fine. Upgraded my old windows 7 drive to 10, activated just fine as expected. Disconnected it and went back to my windows 7 drive, ran Never10 to disable the upgrade, still activated. Now I can test out 10 and have the free upgrade if I ever want to use it.

As if we needed a reminder.