He fell for the wifi repeater meme instead of using soda cans to boost his signal

>he fell for the wifi repeater meme instead of using soda cans to boost his signal

d-does it work?

Yes.

Enjoy your kidney stones

no. lol

It makes the signal slightly more directional, which does increase the range you can make a connection from. You can run into all sorts of complications using set ups like that over extreme distances though. Something about propagation, interference, and SNR I never bothered to learn.

That actually lowers your signal strength if they aren't the right dimensions.

The only scenario where it would help was if there was a bunch of interference in the direction the cans were blocking.

>boost in one direction
>weaken signal on the other side

I'm glad I'm neither stupid or poor.

*nor

>54GL
piece of shit

>the wifi repeater meme
You mean the meme where you set up a stable connection between two points once?

Yeah, it's a great meme, works a lot better than a couple shitty coke cans.

Pringles tins work better :^)

(You)'re a cunt.

Hello pissphone

I use these. Avoiding wifi wherever I can. Am I pleb?

So can you use a repeater to boost a wifi signal if you just know the wifi password?

Need a solution to shitty wifi in the caravan park.

Just get a powerline adapter.

Are you stealing wifi or something?

No it's a public wifi for the whole park. It's just an awful signal.

Really?

yeah actually i used an old WRT54G with a thirdparty firmware to steal a neighbour's wifi

As long as your router's firmware has repeater mode, or is compatible with a 3rd party firmware that has it.

this is fucking retarded. just get a ubiquiti edgerouter and 3 or 4 ap's.

all consumer wifi devices suck. just go pro, for under 350 bucks and literally forget about wifi because it will just werk.

Sorry grandpa, consumer wifi has been working for a decade now.
Stop spreading bullshit from 10 years ago.

ill put any of the ubiquiti systems i've set up against any consumer router.

How do these things limit the Internet to your home only?

Imagine you live in an apartment. Obviously the electric wires are connected all throughout the building.

Can anyone in the building just plug one of those and use your Internet?

>your home is powered from the street
>the whole city is powered from a single source
>plug in that thing
>the whole city can use your internet

They have built-in encryption. You push a button on each, and they detect each other and pair up. Of course
another guy in the building could push his encrypt button at the same time I do and use my connection, but I'd see that in the configuration tool and simply encrypt again.

Works pretty well, I'm so glad I don't have to use wifi for anything except for my phone.

I assume they would be encrypted in a way that no other similar devices could connect to the same network. It's still stupid and Wi-fi is better in 90% of the time, the other 10% is when you're too far or there are so many APs that all channels are occupied and signals are distorted causing PL or higher ping

>not installing tomato and than over clocking the shit out of it and turning the signal power up past the fcc limit

also anyone recommend a modern router thats as reliable as a wrt54g

every other router besides this beast has given up after 6 months due to the constant internet usage

>better in 90% of the time
i'm using a 30m ethernet drilled through 2 walls but I was actually considering a powerline instead of this at one point

I was under the impression that it's ethernet > powerline > wifi unless you live in an old house with shitty wiring

>It's still stupid

Why, though?

1. Get a cheap router than can work in wireless bridge mode.
2. Directly solder a SMA pigtail lead to PCB contacts.
3. Attach a high gain directional antenna.
4. Profit.

Get a modern, dependable router. WiFi isn't as sketchy as it once was.

This is my parent's holiday caravan not the fucking tinfoil-mobile. Next thing you know Mulder is at the door looking for UFO abductees.

>he fell for the wifi meme

Cat5/Cat6 cable is cheap as fuck and 100% secure.

>he fell for the cheap piece of shit router in a bad location meme

>he fell for the expensive router meme

Unless you are running a server farm or have like 20 or more computers you have no real need for a router that is more than $400.

if a $200 router can't cover your entire house then you either live in a mansion, have solid brick walls, or a piece of shit router.

BEER POWER TO DA RESCUE

>having solid brick walls considered to be rare
'merica

lmao

>living in a shit house
>living in a shit country

Not crazy gluing a stainless steel mixing bowl to the back of you're tablet to augment reception.

Dont be a filthy Gypsy

Your appartment's electrical circuit is isolated, that's how it's possible to know how much electricity you use.

You're retarded.

>server farm
>wifi
What the fuck are you doing?

So jelly your walls are made of cardboards :(
If only entire neighborhoods could be destroyed by wind because of houses made from cardboard and cheap wood, my country would be the best.

If your houses were made of real materials, hurricanes would be less of a problem for you

Go fuck yourself, he gave you a solid advice. ungrateful piece of shit

but it will never surpass copper

Electrician here. You are the retard.

>neither stupid nor poor

Build the wall spic.

>Electrician here. You are the retard.
So you think that in a condo or apartment complex the electrical is common?

How are bills calculated then?

I like Linksys E2500's and Netgear 3400's. Both work with DD-WRT and are well built in my opinion.

(((pissphone)))

No amount of focusing will get your signal reliably around a corner, you'll get diffraction but it won't be reliable.

Don't know if trolling, but of course all the apartments get electrical power from the same source, fucking retard.
They are not isolated from each other, but connected to the same grid. Jesus christ you must be stupid.

All the apartments has their own wattage counters, that's how the electrical company knows how much to bill you.

Then you can suffer with the shitty and patchy WiFi for the rest of your stay.

powerlines are actually less secure than wifi especially if you live in apartment or condos.

Copper will never surpass fiber or Li-Fi.

Obviously they are from the same source, but are they not isolated in some way? How else would the counters differentiate between tenants? Genuine question.

>not using the real masterrace

better option is to make simple directional antenna for receiver, but generally it could put more signal in right direction

if you're going to try it, most important thing to check is not signal level, but number of dropped packets that may be big if shit will go wrong

both copper and fiber are vastly superior to Li Fi in any environment requireing range and reliability, not to mention 100gbE Copper is available, much better than LiFi.

Amps differ per appartment. The meters just keep track of the current flow.

How do these work? Are they like a mini router that connects to your main one and you can just cable into it?
I was looking at one of these the other day for my PS4 since it's wifi is terrible.

Are you trying to phone home or something?

nooo!!!! i want 2 get beter wifi!!!!!

now i saw everything, now can die at peace...

It werks very well u know

>tfw still have 3 of them running flawlessly after 8+ years

You get kidney stones from the oxalates in tea. Particulary if you're an avid iced-tea drinker.

You're like those /hpg/ autists laughing at people who buy headsets because you can tape a cheap microphone to high-quality headphones for cheaper

lol, thinks networking over electrical wires is safer than WPA2 encryption.

>mfw pissphone

>oxalates
>In an article published in the journal “Urologic Nursing” in 2007, registered dietitian Laura R. Flagg concluded that the data on oxalate foods actually causing kidney stones is “insufficient” and discouraged the limiting of these foods for patients with stones.

Sure, buddy

>You push a button
enjoy your passwords being stolen.

>EATING PROTEIN POWDER CAN MAKE YOUR LIVER FAIL!

People will say all kinds of stupid shit that they heard once on a tv program improperly researched by other morons.

What's the point if your computer's signal is too weak to reach it?

Actually after having my stones analyzed I can verify that this is not bullshit. I stopped counting them after a dozen. Bane of my fucking existence kidney stones

You can change the password later in software.

>mfw when i drink coffee
>mfw my stones are kidney proof

Coffee thankfully wasn't a factor in mine. I had to completely cut out hot and ice tea (living in south georgia made this extremely difficult. Fucking love me some sweet tea) and had to cut my dairy intake to minimal. Right now have a 2.8cm stone in my L kidney that I have to get lithotripsied some time in the future.

Is there a reason why is like $60-$70+ for a pair yet this thing is $30-$35? I know that thing consists of two objects, but mine has a ton of functionality.

Don't take my word for it but you plug one next to your router and wire it to this device. Then if you live far away in the basement, instead of slinging a mile of ethernet cable down two flights of stairs, just plug the second one into your basement bedroom and wire it to your PC or PS4 for a 75% strength wired connection.

>Avoiding wifi
For what purpose?

>Li-Fi.
Utterly useless for a mobile application.

ubiquiti nanostation, ez

Retard

Maybe in your shitty american buildings, here in europe you have to use the powerline if there is more then one wall between you and the router.

first router, belkin... need i say more?
if you used wireless all internet shit itself
constantly crashed.

second router, after years of belkin because i honestly though that was just how wireless was, i was never able to fully say "yep, this right here is the cause" was an asus 1900ac router...

few months back decided to update the firmware because of occasional problems.

router constantly crashes,
wireless is broke
everything is fucked.
cant revert firmware without potentially bricking entire router, can do that because its the only internet access we have.

look up every router i can find... every one of them is shit, it's literally pick your fucking poison.

get an edgerouter x
get a pro ap

the access point was a bit of a bitch, and still is finicky as hell, but uptime is better than asus, and when wireless doesn't work, i don't have to reset the entire router.

power over ethernet doesn't work through the router so i need to use an injector

missing firewall features that made it easy to block shit on asus... but beyond that, best router so far... and because its dedicated wired better quality then full consumer, and because it has an access point powered by ethernet, if i ever need more signal, i can move the router due to 50 foot cable, could get a low end wifi ap as a secondary, but where we use internet, its a non issue to just have one and move it.

uptime is as of now, 1 month 4 days due to small 1 second power out during a storm, wireless needed to be reset twice in the last 4 months.

could not be happier.

JAJAHAAHAHJAHAHAHAHAAH ELWCTRICIAN???? AND YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS A DIFERENTIAL AN WHY IT BLOCKS COMPLETLY PLCs SIGNAL??

jesus christ, summer is fucking shit in this board

Btw, plcs are shit. The devices tend to stop working in less tha 5 years, they make your house power lines to become a big ass antenna emitting bullshit interference in the 50-60khz fucking up radios nearby and cost a kidney for what they do. Also you can experience regular disconnections with heavy internet use, gain a lot of latency and lose a lot of bandwith. If you want to use good plcs it will cost whole installation over 200$ and will be worse than any 150$ router. You are better off with a good ~180$ dual band router with 500mw emission power and good receivers with high ganancy antenna.

Fucking lol'd at the "electrician" kid hahaahahah what a shitty job you do, darling? Sucking cocks isnt a thing

personally, I live where tornados are, brick isn't saving you

also hurricanes, the windows are what fuck you over for safety, and if it's worse than that, its flooding, bricks again aren't saving you there either.

>MUH WI-FI
>MUH PLC
>his entire house isn't built around 5km of CAT7 cables

Only good answer

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE ISLAMIC TRUCK OF TOLERANCE

______________¶___
|religion of peace ||l “”|””\__,_
|______________|||__|__|__|] beep beep!
(@)@)*********(@)(@)**(@)

POST THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD OR YOUR PENIS WILL SHRINK 2 IN

Latency, because gaming.

Devolo products are made in Germany IIRC, TPlink manufactures in communistan.