Daily reminder that linux is crap...

Daily reminder that linux is crap, This bug in smb affects 90% of linux users and it still hasnt been fixed for and entire year now.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gvfs/ bug/1409032

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gvfs/ bug/1409032/comments/29
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's still present in the latest Mint as well.

You really should not try and use Linux like windows, its another whole ecosystem. Trying to tie something like smb only begs for trouble, however we have tried to maintain in anyway to alleviate the problems people have trying to use both at the same time.

I don't even use SMB but the point is it's installed by default in a lot of distros.

Install Gentoo

>bugs exist in software
damn, really makes you think..

For an entire year...

Don't down play it like it's nothing freetard, It affects shit loads of people.

Ive only ever seen samba installed by default on normie ultrafriendly distros like ubuntu and its derivatives. Which are commonly used to make it easy and introduce former/about to switch windows users to Linux based distros.

We had an Ubuntu server at this university I worked at. To upload files to the server we had to use SMB because winblows. Just uploading a folder would kill the server's CPU.

>one bug
>all Linux is crap

You should apply for a job at Fox News.

>damn, really makes you think
Deb-based problems, bring away your shit.

>It affects shit

so does windows. Where do I file my bug that windows has high cpu utilization?

Oh wait. You literally can't.

Maybe I should write down that you are a trolling faggot. hmmm...that didn't change reality either.

I haven't been affected user

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

shill.

windows doesn't have an smb bug that causes high cpu like loonux.

He probably meant the fact that usernames which contain the word "user" causes high cpu usage in windows. Microshaft's "" solution"" is changing the username instead of actually acting competent and fixing it.

>trying to tie something like smb only begs for trouble

It's the only way to make Windows computers mount Linux shares senpai.

Good thing I have my windows partition.
Too bad Winshit 10 is such utter garbage, though.
I'll take my chances with linux for now, I guess.

Wait.
>only way for windows computers to......
Isn't this a windows problem them.
What difference does one more bug or security flaw related to using windows make?
It's like a scratch in the paintjob of a sinking boat.
Screw windows. Install gentoo.

No. Samba is developed by Samba. It is a free software initiative of its own.

It just happens that Windows only supports non-Windows network shares that use the Samba protocol.

Use dropbox if your friends are too dumb to ditch windows.

What? The purpose of Samba is to serve network SHARES, not web repositories. Network shares are meant to work like directories on your file system.

>bugs.launchpad.net
1. never, ever, link to a bug report in launchpad.net
canonical "devs" suck at fixing shit
2. >GNOME
I see the problem...

meant to reply to

it kills me that only enterprise versions of windows support NFS

fucking microsoft

>GNOME
oh, I see, it's not a problem in GNOME, but samba itself.
well, you know, patches are welcome. you could also try submitting a decent report to samba.org, because apparently no ubuntu/redhat dev cared too much

and then there is this bug whichmakes linux unusable on bay trail cpus

bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

this really pisses me off considering the craptop i bought came with ubuntu preinstalled

>Install feces

I don't seem to have any issues on my celeron N3050 with Fedora's 4.6 kernel

>not getting a thinkpad for a few hundred bucks with Windows 7 Pro included

you sir have missed out

>intel
lol

> - Intel Celeron CPU N2930 1.83GHz
> - Intel Celeron CPU N2940 1.83Ghz
how do they solve this issue in chromebooks, then?

btw, did you notice that there is a workaround in that report?

there is a workaround for this:
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/gvfs/ bug/1409032/comments/29

I also have a thinkpad, but these baytrail laptops consume like 7 Watts without any drastic power saving measures.

I get 10 hours of battery life. And they have the added benefit of no moving parts, ie no fan an hard disk.

I got one as a toy.

SMB is crap anyway... http, sftp, and ftp are all superior.

>An entire year!

K E K

all OS' should take notes from windows and have bugs and security vulns for at least 10+ years.

Linux can't even compete with windows' incompetance.

LMAO!