Are there any pmps with 4 (micro) SD slots? I want a 512gb mp3 player and I think this would be the cheapest/easiest

Are there any pmps with 4 (micro) SD slots? I want a 512gb mp3 player and I think this would be the cheapest/easiest.

Other urls found in this thread:

iflash.xyz/teaser-the-1tb-ipod/
head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/3465
head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/3150
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

4 128gb cards would run me about 160 euros, + the cost of the device (hopefully not a lot if there's some obscure thing I can get 2nd hand).
Other option would be a hard drive, 500gb of platter costs like 40 euros but I don't think there's a lot of mp3 players that accept 2.5inch SATA?

either you get a iPod Classic and add a ssd or get a FiiO X5ii, it has 2 microsd slots but afaik it supports 256gb microsd cards, can't confirm on the 256gb version but the 200gb work, even on the X3ii

Would OP's pic work?

Don't see why not. Think they all use the same protocol. The adapters just pass the pins through.

Had an 80gb classic but it broke, quite liked it. Do you need these Tarkan adapters for that to work?

well the biggest one is not actually plugged in, other than that I guess it should

yeah they should
yes, but many people have reviewed those adapters, so don't worry about it, if you dont want to have that much trouble, just get the X5ii, it's less trouble, and you can drive headphones with bigger impedance if you need it

o yeah forgot to add, if you go for the ipod route i recommend you install rockbox on it, and keep in mind if you go for the ssd route it can get quite pricey

iflash.xyz/teaser-the-1tb-ipod/

Yea already had rockbox on my old ipod (5.5 gen), worked well. For 512gb looks like I could be done for about 300 euros which is also the price of a fiio x5 2nd gen *without* the sd cards.

Do you really need 512GB of MP3s?
Assuming a rate of 320kB/s (IE not VBR which is what you should be using...), this is like 500 hours of music

yeah, if you don't need a dac/amp just go for the ipod route, and i guess they'll drop in price in the next year, i heard some rumours about a new gen coming out

Semi-related question: where the hell are the open PMP projects? On the hardware end they're simple enough devices that they shouldn't be all that difficult for an individual to design + develop, and the software side could just be a front end on stripped down NetBSD/Linux.

For me one of the big draws of the old mech HD iPods was that they doubled as portable HDs. Really cool because then you have a bunch of portable storage with you that isn't just dead weight when it's not plugged into a computer.

I have about 320 gb of (mostly) mp3s now, so yeah I do. Of course I can just put the most popular stuff on a smaller player but I'm an autist and want to do it this way.

The 30gb 5 or 5.5 gen should work just fine, no? They're considerably cheaper 2nd hand.

>Semi-related question: where the hell are the open PMP projects?

i suppose is a lack of interest on it, really i don't think people just go screaming "BOTNET" or similar when it comes to PMP's, although it can be done.

yeah i got one just for that, but you'll have to change the backplate for a bigger one, there are some sellers on ebay that do custom backplates, and some guys order them with a 1tb written in the backplate, and consider a replacement battery, since the 30gb version battery is just 580mah, the last versions had a 950mah batttery

>>i suppose is a lack of interest on it, really i don't think people just go screaming "BOTNET" or similar when it comes to PMP's, although it can be done.
I don't think BOTNET is the reason why one would want an open PMP. Reasons to want an open PMP include long-term serviceability (you're not fucked if you want to keep using it 5-10 years from now), a high degree of customizability, and full software support (as great as rockbox is it doesn't utilize iPod hardware as efficiently as it could).

I mean think about it: wouldn't it be cool if you could upgrade the components in your iPod? Better amp, better DAC, bigger battery, better storage, etc. It wouldn't have the compatibility issues with newer forms of storage like the iPod does, either.

Good to know about the backplate and battery, thanks.

Ooh, thought of another reason someone might want an open PMP: any number of screens/enclosures could be designed to fit the board, allowing you to make it as big or as small as you want and giving you total control over things like screen/battery/weight tradeoffs.

no worries m8, if you want to go crazy, some guys have put an 2000mah battery on their ipods, it works perfectly, check these posts, and read them carefully.

head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/3465

head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/3150

it's a good idea, but keep in mind, how much money do you think it's going to be spent in R&D? when it comes to hardware, you have to keep a quality control, and how much is going to be the device when it's ready for production? the price matters too, it's a nice idea and all but it's going to be a lot of trouble when you design it first, i'd say is better to do a normal design first then a modular design as you said on your last post, having support for rockbox seems as a must but is a moot point, since it's open source many people will come with their ideas and it's going to be like "which music player is the best for android?" all over again

love the idea, but design wise it's going to be a nightmare.

Do I still need a bigger backplate if I just use the quad sd adapter? It should give better battery life, too.

nah i don't think so, it's more thinner than the dual SD (5mm vs 2mm), and it says it's compatible with the 30gb version of the 5/5.5 gen, so i don't think you need a bigger backplate, if you're in doubt just contact him and ask him, but i really doubt you need a bigger backplate

it's nice to have the music you want to listen to

if you're out for 4 hours you only "need" 4 hours of music but maybe 2 hours in you decide you want to listen to something else. what then?

might as well just bring it all. this way you're less likely to lose all your music in the event of a fire or hard drive failure, so there's a redundancy factor

>R&D costs
They don't have to be that high. Granted, it's not as complex of a device but NwAvGuy developed the O2 and ODAC all on his own, and you've got folks doing things like reproducing a software-compatible Mac Plus in an FPGA. At the very least, early development of the board + OS would take minimum funds. The later stages could easily be provided for with crowdfunding.

yeah, crowfunding is a good option, iirc the FiiO X series uses a blackberry screen, you can get them in masse, so it's certainly possible, but i think it's going to be a better approach if you make different models first, then do a modular design, that way you'll have some extra money to design it besides just crowfunding it