Just your daily reminder to secure your router and WiFi

Just your daily reminder to secure your router and WiFi.

>Change the default administrator username and password of your router. Use a strong password consisting of random upper/lower case letters, numbers, special characters and spaces e.g. z1HG b$%FV6% *O9 !n. If you fear you'll never remember such a password, at least create a password consisting of spaces and upper/lower case characters e.g. Cal I Co Red
>
>Check your routers settings to see if ‘Allow Incoming ICMP Echo Requests" is enabled. If it is, then disable it. Keep in mind to turn this back on should you need ISP tech support so they can find your router for testing.
>
>Disable UPnP access. That is, of course, only disable it if you have no need to use UPnP. UPnP is a huge security risk. Some ISP’s actually hide this setting in their router, such as Verizon FiOS. If you're a FiOS subscriber and use their Actiontec router you have to access the UPnP setting from a separate URL, which is listed on this web page... tumblr.theanomaly.net/post/57676730768/verizon-fios-actiontec-hidden-upnp-and-igmp-menus
>
>Use WPA2 for your WiFi security encryption. Again, use a secure password for your WiFi.
>
>If your router offers Wi-FI Protected Setup (WPS) see if you can disable it, since that is also a known vulnerability. However, this feature may not have an option to disable depending on the router manufacture and model.
>
>If you use a router issued by your ISP, check it's settings from time to time to ensure any automatic firmware updates didn’t change your secure settings.
>
>Change your passwords from time to time, and check your routers log to ensure only known devices are attaching to your network.
>
>You can test some of your routers security, such as UPnP and open ports at grc.com/shieldsup

be safe

wtf is this babby shit if you seriously need a guide like this then you're completely retarded and should consider suicide

I hate UPnP but my brother like garmen on his xbox.

>daily

Nice thanks user-kun

Doesn't WPS require physical access to the router?

My access point requires it.

But I don't think that was always the case with older hardware.

Why the fuck does the admin login for your router matter? If someone can access your router they are already on your network.

I don't have a password on my router, I don't see the point.
My neighbors have their own routers so they obviously won't try to use mine, a password is just going to waste my time every time I get a new device.

>Being scared of pings
>Changing passwords "from time to time" despite them being strong and not leaked

Damnit, my router has known vulnerabilities but I don't have a fucking support contract to download an update and all the torrents I find are for newer devices.

Nope, some have push buttons, some have codes written on them.

A better way to secure access would be using mac addresses to control access by allowing only devices you own on the network, disabling DHCP and assigning every device it's own identifiable IP, to easily monitor your network.

Whenever I find myself in a residential zone and find an open WiFi I make sure to use it to download and share huge amounts of pizza. Remember this post when it happens to you.

for ssh or telnet attacks... or over webgui..............

kek

>be me
>pirate shit
>gets away with it because it's open so anybody could use it
Seriously, you don't have to be paranoid because of MitM attacks. Especially since I live in rural area.
Seriously, there is like 4% chance that one of your neighbours know MitM, less that someone knows how to set it up.

let me describe to you how I once made money for adderall.

I stole my parents wok, took me usb wifi dongle, and in the middle of the night I went over the outskirts of the next town. I went down the streets looking for any unprotected networks, and used some skiddie shit tools to get into any windows machines I could find. stole any financial documents and browser cookies I could find.

Out of everything, I found 2 passwords documents that had ebanking passwords, and another file with credit card info. I sold it on tor for enough bitcoin to buy 50 pills of addy.

I hope someone does that to you :)

Jokes on you I use mobile Internet with no router

Thanks, Mr. Robot.
Which skiddy scrpts? Proof or I call bullshit.

I live by myself in a house. Around my property is a fence, and around that fence is 2 cornfields and a cow pasture.

Nobody else can even detect my wifi network without being well inside my fence, and if they are inside my fence then it's somebody I let in since the gate is locked.

>mfw most ISP routers have a remote service backdoor

>admin/admin
>upgrade his firmware using some mp3 file renamed to .bin

Holy shit dude fucking epic!!! +1 upvote karma dude hhahaha!!!! this is reddit gold!!! get this to the front page XDD!

>Sup Forums
>thread about router safety
>literally no talk about custom firmware
dunno what i expected from this manchild board that whinges about muh gayms all day.

I have the default Xfinity router, is there anything I can do?

I like UPnP desu. It makes setting up little IoT stuff super easy.

that is not secure at all you buffoon
Do you know how easy it is to snoop for mac addressed connected to a network, clone their mac, inject a deauth, and take their place on the network?