Plugged in my psp to charge and for the first time in the 10 years I've had this, it's got coil whine

Plugged in my psp to charge and for the first time in the 10 years I've had this, it's got coil whine.

Is it dying? Is the charger dying? It's giving me a headache...

Other urls found in this thread:

s.aliexpress.com/7BZnmU7b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you hadn't played with it in 10 years it wouldn't seem like it should matter if it's acting up on your or not

I play with it a few times a week usually, it's well worn out.

Tonight I decided to load up Pokemon emerald since all this Pokemon go nonsense made me want to replay emerald cause I used to have it on my gba. Plugged it in to charge and coil whine is just doing my head in

It's the charger.

I just figured it out by pressing it against my ear.

I'm worried about buying cheap Chinese trash or buying a used one and having the same issue in a month though

I'm sure some stores still sell official chargers.

How about something like this?

USB A to DC 5V 4.0mm/1.7mm Power Adapter Cable Lead 80cm Charger for Sony PSP CB0417
s.aliexpress.com/7BZnmU7b
(from AliExpress Android)

>Plugged in my psp to charge and for the first time in the 10 years I've had this, it's got coil whine.
>Is it dying? Is the charger dying?
No shit. The damping glue has deteriorated over time.
Also, coil whine is very normal and is not an indicator of an imminent failure of the device or the charger. It's just a... whine.
Fucking Sup Forums and its buzzwords.

It's 5v, any 5v charger with the right connector will do.

I bought a bunch of the connectors for $1
>Usb is 5v

I know but I'm still worried because it didn't have this before and now it has it so maybe it's caused by a component in the charger becoming worn out? Electronics degrade, although I'm not the most tech literate.

Yeah I was thinking I could use
With my phone charger to charge it up if the charger fails.

So I won't have any issues doing that?

You won't have any troubles with it. (Apart from it being chinese and likely to break after medium use, but even when it does break nothing bad will happen)

Cheers mate, I'll probably order 5 of them in case they do turn out to be fragile and cheap.

It's probably the charger, mine just fried itself a while back

>Pokemon emerald
This will be interesting, this happened to me a few month a go
>Be me
>on my way to work in bus
>playing HM:FOMT on PSP
>Notice a kid looking at me
>ignore him
>bus stop he gets out
>on his way he stops and tell me
>"you should get a better phone at least your farmville graphics won't be this bad"

I didn't know how to respond.

you are dying

I think it can charge via the mini USB port on top, but I could be wrong.

>PSP on shitty condition
>Shit resolution for image
>oh no, my le psp isn't working after 7 years
>my portable console is now worth 50$ but it's giving me a headache :'(
Get a fucking job, it's not that hard to find one in a third world country, especially since most jobs are being outsourced.

Anywhere I can still get an original fat psp battery? Bought a "3600 mah" (yea right) 3rd party but it's a piece of shit, but the original one is puffy.

Go away consumerist drone.

Only if you mod it.

All chargers make high pitch noises.

If it's the PSP itself that'd be another matter (not like a "it's dying!!" matter more like "this is annoying as shit" matter)

Man PSP GOs all have screens that make high pitch noises. Drove me insane. By "drove me insane" I mean I turned it on, realised the issue, then sold it.

DS lites like 60% of them seem to give off a high pitch noise for some reason. DSi's not so much but their speakers forever hiss but it's quiet white noise and not an issue.

My PSP can't even read UMD's anymore. You've got it good OP

>there are people who still use umd's and don't just run games off their memory stick thanks to CFW

Didn't think they still existed

Real talk, are you autistic?

Wait, what? He really thinks a better phone makes shitty Farmville graphics look good?

Forget the fact that he doesn't recognize a PSP, but the fact that he thinks a phone can magically imporove ANY games graphics when they're already shit is astounding!

>Never got into Harvest Moon

Nah, I have highly sensitive hearing though.

>mfw whenever i have something that makes a noise that annoys me and i google "x annoying as shit noise" it comes up with aspie forums

kill me

You're autistic.

He was some 13yo kid.

13yo is pretty old, that's like high school level

The current generation of teens are idiots.

>tfw wasted over 200$ on psp games before I found out you can mod it
>tfw I could have bought a 128gb microsd with a memory stick duo adapter and get the games for free

>anno domini
>playing Emerald on a phone instead of ORAS

>anno domini
>playing Emerald on a psp instead of ORAS

I like the little game cases

I pirate a lot of games but I hardly play them.
Meanwhile, I end up playing and replaying games I purchased physically.
I bought the first project diva and played the shit out of it, and I have yet to play 2nd, and extend, which are just sitting on my sd card.

Who still uses their PSP?
I still use mine as MP3 player/Ebook reader/casual gaming.
Especially since my commute to work is long.

I used mine to play PSP games.

I use mine almost entirely to play music. hold.prx is wonderful.
in a pinch, it also plays Genesis games and Project Diva

The psp in the op is the first gen, which doesn't support mini usb charging

What plugin/programs do you use?
I just have CFW 6.60

PSP had amazing capabilities for the hardware.

If user lives in yurop i can send you an official adapter i still have two of them

Unfortunately I'm in aus, it's cool though cause I'm about to order those USB cables.

Thanks m8, also surprised this thread is still alive

Mgs peace walker is great. Didn't know that the psp is so powerful with such little cpu frequency and low ram.

It's amazing what they were able to accomplish with 2mb vram, 333mhz risc cpu, and 32mb ram.

Ah yes, I can feel zee energy from here. I fear zat your beloved PSP has been cursed, by a Bulgarian whore :::spits on ground:::, whom you have scorned. You must give zee PSP and a small love offering to me, or else your very soul is at risk.

It really isn't.
This is just what happens when people are actually forced to write compiled code for their target processor and not interpreted unity scripting shit for their bloated "engine".

>this will be interesting

Why did you lie to me, user?

only plugins I use are popsloader (lets you use different versions of Sony's PS1 emulator if you have issues with the latest one -- mainly use it for Ridge Racer Revolution) and hold.prx (saves battery when playing music and in hold position, fixes stupid hold switch flickering issue on some models and prevents you from accidentally suspending the device when leaving hold, turns screen off when in hold)
oh, and nploader for custom dlc in Project Diva

For programs... there's just a couple of emulators (won't bother naming half of them, I think retroarch does a better job these days, I haven't opened them in forever), most notable picodrive (which is pretty good -- has a couple noticeable emulation issues like incorrect VDP shadowing, but nothing game breaking)
I also kind of wanted to use the thing to run LittleGPTracker, but I can't be arsed to try to write a song on my PSP.

You're one of the most retarded people I've ever encountered on the Internet.

Yeah but Modern consoles and pc games with low level APIs are still shit in comparison

Used mine to play pokemon too. Everytime I used hm tool it would crash the the game. Could never figure out how to fix it.

I would be more worried about swollen battery. I had cheap ps3 controller and samsung galaxy and huawei p6 batteries swollen up like wtf in 2 months. 10 years would probably kill any battery.

Lithium batteries swell? I thought they just went boom

WE ARE NOT YOUR TECH SUPPORT! WORK SAFE REQUEST IS YOUR TECH SUPPORT! LEAVE THE TECHNOLOGY BOARD!

XD

I ripped all my UMDs but still use them for early portions of SO and SO2 to cheat through character-locked dungeons you can only survive in way later.

Does anyone know about pic related?

It's a game.

I remember wanting it but never getting it.

Any good?

Vita fag here. I miss my 1000...

It's like one of my favorite games. It's kind of strange though.

Yo Sup Forums, those eBay cables look cheap af, would it be a bad idea to solder my own using 22awg wire?

Especially since a psp is rated at 5v 2a

I'm thinking about nabbing a ps vita, care to talk about the 1000 vs 2000?

They're fine.
I have one and it's lasted longer than my official charger.

Or you could just get by with the mini usb port, but that won't work if you were to fully run down the battery because it requires the OS to initiate power draw mode.

I decided to fix mine this summer, but I'm still waiting for a replacement LCD from China, so for now I'm using RemoteJoyLite to play Monster Hunter.

ps vita 1000- v1
ps vita 2000-v2

v1 has a larger body, i think longer battery life and an oled screen as opposed to v2s slim design, only slightly shorter battery life (by slightly shorter, i mean SLIGHTLY shorter) anda more washed out lcd screen. the trade off on the screens is that the v2 is much easier to see in daylight. i got the v2. keep in mind you have to buy a special sony vita micro sd card, not some shit from the drugstore. i love the matte black finish on the edges and back grips, i love the feel.
( i swear im not shilling)
for me it literally came down to size and battery life, i picked up the 2000. from what i read, theres not much of a difference to even notice.

the Vita is such a nice console, especially if you like weeb games

and thats the fucking problem, i dont.
i make do with borderlands, hotline miami, shovel knight, and shit

it's amazing for weeb games but if all you like is western garbo then why did you even buy it?

wasnt gonna originally. was just going to buy a psp for old times sake but dropped the coin and got something with more power and convienence.
fucking red pill me some weeb games then

I was going to until you used the Sup Forums meme
sorry!

user, i just want to let you know I had a 1000 word reply written up until i re-read it and saw the word "redpill".

Won't work on a psp 1000

no skin off my back my mans

just get p4g that'll keep you busy for a couple weeks at least

Plenty of non-weeb games on the Vita

I'm currently playing the shit out of Need for Speed (Criterion made it, it's basically Burnout Paradise 2), the Ratchet and Clank Collection, and Tearaway.

Plus you have all of the PSP and PS1 games that are on the PSN. The Vita has a fuckhuge library of non-weebshit.

prolly the best exclusive.

all garbo

If you wanna jerk off to 2D images of underage Japanese girls than you belong in /vitagen/, not on Sup Forums

I still play ps1 on mine till now. Currently trying to finish Tales of Phantasia ;_;

1000 owner here.

You just can't play properly outdoors, the screen is not bright enough. Also it's uncomfortable to keep in your hands for too much time, like a NES controller or the original 3DS.

You should go for the 2000. Better hand grip and the screen doesn't provide MUH VIBRANT COLORS but it's actually playable outside, a quite important item considering this is a protable console.

those are objectively the best games on the vita
enjoy your garbo racing games i guess

/vitagen/

I use it as a early gen console emulator (atari2600, NES, most early Sega consoles)

Ironically, I use my Vita for PSP and PS1 games.

>buys jap game console
>why are there so many anime games????

The PSP Go is pretty much the best portable emulation device available.

You have:

> Small formfactor
> Decent sized screen
> Can emulate most/all consoles/portables up to the 32 bit era
> 16GB of built in storage
> Hardware buttons (no touchscreen bullshit)
> Also has a huge library of PS1 and PSP games
> Literally all models can have CFW now, regardless of what firmware it is running when you get it

The only downsides are that the battery life isn't super great (especially since all of the systems in the wild are getting older) and the screen is still exposed even when the device is closed. Also, they're stupid expensive. Pretty sure the PSP Go is going to end up as the next Gameboy Micro in terms of shitty collectors and reseller scum driving up the price on used units.

PSP go is still $70 and its not increasing in value.
Also, don't fall for the psp go meme, the screen is tiny as shit and I couldn't play project diva on it.

I went back to my comfy 3000.
What a waste of money tbqh.

to everyone else in the thread, if you haven't played project diva you don't know SHIT about psp games

> gets btfo in an internet argument on an anonymous north korean jet ski enthusiast imageboard
> desperately tries to strawman

Shouldn't you be in bed? It's a schoolnight.

sorry lad but ur the 1 who just got btfo

psp 1000 best psp

psp go a shit

If I wanted my own comeback I'd wipe it off your mother's chin m8

i think it's time for you to go back to >>>/reddit/ kid

1000's screen had such horrible ghosting, especially when it had to display anything that was black

PSP 3000 is truly the finest of the non-Go PSPs, but there are times when I miss having the extra width of the 1k in my hands

Literally the only benefit that the 1k/2k/3k have over the Go is a 0.5" larger screen and the ability to use MIcroSD cards with an adapter. I mean I guess technically you can use UMDs as well but who the hell does that?

> I called him a kid!
> Hahaha
> And I told him to go to Reddit!
> I'm a big boy now!

ur dumb post spacing gives it away lad, maybe lurk a little more before posting next time

ok children, calm it down now, stay on topic.

> Dumb post spacing
> Cry more